PDA

View Full Version : DirecTiVo or xBox ?!?

MS_lease_my_sou
05-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Might have to wait another month. xBox is dropping $50 in price this month!!!

Bitgod
05-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Uh....yeah. Depends if you want to record shows, or if you want to play games and playback videos using xbox media player. Best answer is of course BOTH. :)

Astrogoth
05-04-2003, 04:18 PM
I did the Xbox mod' boogie day before yetserday.

It cost:

$199 for the Xbox
$59 for the Ex2Pro mod chip
$99 for the 120Gig hard drive (After rebates)

The hard part: Finding the software you need on IRC. Since most of the hack software for the Xbox is made using a stolen Microsoft developers kit the resulting programs are illegal too. That means no FTP sites, only IRC sources. You'll need the latest mod chip bios (Xecuter2 v.4976.02) and v2.1 of Slayers EvoX Auto-Installer.

Solder in the mod' chip. Flash the chips BIOS. Slowly burn the latest EvoX Auto-Installer (V2.1) to a Memorex CD-RW. Boot the Xbox with the EvoX disk. Choose install and format new drive. The rest is all automated. You're done. I have 36 games backed up inside my Xbox with room for 20 or so more. The recording process is two button pushes and ten minutes per game.

Anyone who's ever worked on a TiVo can mod' an Xbox with ease.

OTOH, a stock Xbox isn't worth $199. Not enough features.

Bitgod
05-04-2003, 09:33 PM
You can also find xbox apps in the xbox binary newsgroup on usenet. I can't believe I didn't give xbmp a try until a month ago. I'd tried an older version from last year but 2.3 so much blows that old version away, I love watching videos on my tv now, I've got it streaming the files using SMB off my PC.

ou812
07-30-2003, 02:24 AM
I did an install of a X2pro, piece of cake, on my xbox. It was actually fun soldering. I learned what I needed to know in a couple of days from xbox-scene tut's and the xbox forums(Many more newbie's there on that forum than DD will ever see. (imo)). There were plenty of pics and easy to follow step by step instructions.

For example, how many tivo hackers out there can successfully solder the d0 point?

But most people on the forums, even though they were repeat questions, gave very good answers or exact info on where to find answers to "n00b(I am 1)" questions. I posted maybe 2 times in as many days before I needed to post no more, I found out what I needed by reading.

I got the box running the "hard way" via ftp and so on, but then came along SlaYer's installer that rocked the world. In my opinion there was no reason NOT to use the SlaYer install. I mean after installing the chip you were up and running with SlaYer's in 10 minutes.

It just seems that the tivo stuff is more "taboo" on the forums or just reserved for the "Linux crowd" and not for the average "Joe" like imo the xbox stuff is. I can't understand this since MS is much larger than tivo and dtv will ever be. Wouldn't they be concerned about all of this?

For example I have not even seen one actual photo of someone's homemade bash cable posted on either of the popular forums.

It is very hard to figure it all out. I would like to learn Linux, sure, but the reality is that a huge learning curve is in order to even scratch the surface and those people working find that free time is hard to come by.

What I am looking forward to is a "SlaYer's install for the tivo S2 (SA+Dtivo)" to be developed in the same fashion as the xbox version. Maybe it will and maybe it won't but I will keep reading until it does and hopefully some others share my thoughts.

Thanks for reading my rant.

PixelFreak
04-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Sleeper's ISO for modding the Tivo?

Not hijacking the thread, but posting a reply to the one above. The Sleeper ISO is the easiest tool for the non-Linux person. It actually gives you the lines it is about to execute, while explaining what is happening as it goes. Talk about a tutorial AND getting the job done at the same time - it's great!

Do a search in the Tivo forums and get yourself a copy of the Sleeper ISO, and you're there. No joke.

PixelFreak

wflanagan
06-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Things are always hard, then they get easy.... then, the company (Dave or Mike) screws things up, then they get hard, then they get easy....

The key is to read... usually someone can coach you through the process... Slayer's is great for Xbox, Sleepers the same for Tivo. But, with 1.6s and their new design its about to get a little bit harder on Xbox, and with RIDs on Tivos we'll see where that leads...

W