PDA

View Full Version : The Screen Savers

tweaky
05-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Is Olaf still going to be on this Thursday, May 8th?

captain_video
05-06-2003, 01:47 PM
There's nothing in the show schedule for The Screen Savers at the TechTV website that would suggest he'll be on. There is an article about accessing your Tivo from the web scheduled for tonight at 7PM EDT and tomorrow at 8AM and again at 12PM. Here's the link to the show schedule:

http://cgi.techtv.com/tvschedule?show_id=9&glance=1&timeZone=3

I just checked the scheduule again and it looks like the article has been rescheduled for Monday, May 12th at 7PM EDT ("Put Tivo video onto your hard drive").

Neutronflux
05-07-2003, 01:11 AM
You're Right Captain Video - I did the same check and it appears that the air date for that is May 12th 2003 -- put tivo on your hard drive -- is the description.

Who writes this shit? My tivo is already on my hard drive!

captain_video
05-07-2003, 08:23 AM
I believe the description reads "Put Tivo VIDEO onto your hard drive".

mrblack51
05-07-2003, 10:44 AM
for those of you who didnt see the show last night (Tuesday, May 7), they talked a little about tivoweb. at the end of the segment, leo showed a quick preview of tystudio and mentioned olaf would be on the show the upcoming monday

osetivo
05-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Bump
Watching Live TiVo

Well, there's the man, finally

ronnythunder
05-12-2003, 07:13 PM
wow! that's not what i imagined him to look like, but then again, they usually don't.

great job, olaf! hope to see you back around here some day.

ronny

mrblack51
05-12-2003, 07:40 PM
edit: nm, i saw it

JJBliss
05-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
could someone post an mpg of the segment? my tivo is packed away right now...thanks

Must be move out day........

:D

AlphaWolf
05-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Time for another wave?

johnmacd
05-12-2003, 08:44 PM
I wish I could get this channel. I know it was requested above, but if anyone could post this show or part of the show, that would be great.

hickory
05-12-2003, 08:51 PM
nevermind.

captain_video
05-13-2003, 09:00 AM
If you've read any or all of the info in the TyServer thread or even the documentation that's posted on the TyStudio site then you already have more info than was provided on the Screen Savers segment. Basically, Leo just narrated the features of TyStudio and Olaf just stood there and nooded with an occasional interjection of "Yes". He briefly discussed the header format of a Tivo mpeg2 file but nothing of any great detail. The whole thing was pretty much glossed over. Leo did indicate that you could access the link for the TyStudio site from the TechTV website. If you missed the actual segment you really didn't miss much so if you were expecting something earth-shattering to be announced then you would have been sorely disappointed. Olaf was there mostly as window dressing for Leo.

burriko
05-13-2003, 09:26 AM
i think some of us would still really appreciate watching it, even a small divx of it would be great.

Originally posted by captain_video
If you missed the actual segment you really didn't miss much so if you were expecting something earth-shattering to be announced then you would have been sorely disappointed. Olaf was there mostly as window dressing for Leo.

osetivo
05-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Well, I certainly didn't expect to "learn" anything, but I did. The DVD-Create Guy is a stock photo and not Olaf.

ErnieM
05-13-2003, 01:39 PM
It looks like the TechTV legal department has gotten involved with TiVo and TyStudio. The entire segment has gotten wiped from the Screensavers web site. No traces left.

AlphaWolf
05-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ErnieM
It looks like the TechTV legal department has gotten involved with TiVo and TyStudio. The entire segment has gotten wiped from the Screensavers web site. No traces left.

Nah, its still there: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3427572,00.html

BubbleLamp
05-13-2003, 06:54 PM
The show was just as worthless as any, save for two things. I learned Olaf is older than I'd pictured him, and Jessica's got some awesome legs. She's way too sexy for that show.:D

rc3105
05-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by osetivo
Well, I certainly didn't expect to "learn" anything, but I did. The DVD-Create Guy is a stock photo and not Olaf.

WHEW! :D

--
Riley

keith721
05-13-2003, 08:58 PM
but those legs with those shoes, just about drove me nuts. :eek:

rc3105
05-13-2003, 09:41 PM
fess up, we all all got tivos just for the slowmo features!

(pan & zoom on extracted mpeg is the icing on the cake... :D )

--
Riley

Neutronflux
05-14-2003, 12:19 AM
Right on Riley.... or should I say Zoot Zoot! [that's Swahili for Hear Hear]

Anyways, Bubblelamp hit it on the head - I didn't expect to learn anything new from TSS and low and behold, I didn't.

What they really need on TechTV is a TRUE hacker program, not Leo constantly holding the front of his pants/belt... have you seen this on the TSS? Damn it's annoying... [blah blah... pokes belly... blah blah... pokes belly] anyways... Like I was saying, a true hacker program that appears at like 2AM, sponsored by Jold or Rev, something of the like where we can really do some hands on hacking... not just some passing references to things that can be done.

BubbleLamp
05-14-2003, 01:05 AM
I had VERY close acquaintances who were involved in TTV since the ZDTV days and even before. I always had high hopes it would have some content I was actually interested in. Alas, it has been on a constantly decending spiral towards the mass market, know-nothing, look at me I have a Web-cam 15 year old/65 year old crowd that is satisfied to watch Leo-TV and Max Headroom reruns. Too bad really, but the least common denominator drivel is what you're left with. As long as Vulcan has the funds to blow on it I guess they'll keep on grinding out the crud.

warwickp
05-14-2003, 12:21 PM
I agree 100% that TSS is pretty much worthless, but I still Tivo it everyday! I just manage to watch the hour show in about 15 minutes.

I was similarly disappointed when they ran the week long segment on 'hacking your XBox' a few weeks ago. But that piece highlights the problem they have with showing ANYTHING under the 'hacking' realm. The shows were supposed to be shown several weeks earlier, but were postponed because of 'legal issues'. What was ultimately broadcast was nothing more than anyone could pickup in about 5 minutes of reading any of the XBox scene sites.

I would LOVE to see programming devoted to hacking - and, I'm sure like you, I'm not talking about 'How to hack the DOD website', but more real worlds hacks, like hacking Tivo and modding the XBox or PS2 etc. Unfortunately, we live in a litigious country (US) and no station is going to show anything like this for fears of the lawsuits that wouyld ensue.

Anyway, for as useless as TSS is it's still worth it to see Sarah!!!

Warwick
----------------------------------------------------------------
'Are you trying to tell me coconuts migrate?'

mrblack51
05-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by warwickp
I agree 100% that TSS is pretty much worthless, but I still Tivo it everyday! I just manage to watch the hour show in about 15 minutes.

sweet, i guess im not the only one. i do find some of the segments to be interesting (some of the interviews are interesting, as well as some of the tech segments). of course, i realize that i am not a member of the target audience for the show. they all do the best they can with what they have.

course, i too would like to see a show that was a bit more in-depth. like more stuff on case-modding, tivo/replay hacking, more technical stuff, etc...but thats not main stream tv i guess.

they do a good job at serving their target audiance though

el jefe
05-14-2003, 01:32 PM
I haven't watched the show more that 5 or 6 times, but it seems to me that they just talk about the most basic points to peak your interest on s subject, and then tell you where you can get more information. I don't think it's the place for an in-depth how-to on anything, I can't imagine watching and following along with someone on a TV show while doing anything in depth anyway (especially hacking my TiVo, because if I had to reboot I'd lose my place)

AlphaWolf
05-14-2003, 01:33 PM
I think the main point of the show is just to say "hey look, its possible to do this", for those who don't otherwise find this information on their own. Not everybody has a creative enough mindset to think of the possibilities of tinkering with consumer electronics, this is the target audience.

mrblack51
05-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
I think the main point of the show is just to say "hey look, its possible to do this", for those who don't otherwise find this information on their own. Not everybody has a creative enough mindset to think of the possibilities of tinkering with consumer electronics, this is the target audience.

well put

captain_video
05-14-2003, 02:33 PM
From what I've seen they pretty much just introduce the various topics and outline some of the possibilities without going into any great detail or depth. This is usually followed with a reference to their website where you can find links to sources that support the topic. TSS isn't really meant to be the end-all How To show for geeks and hackers but rather a guide to what you can do. The rest is up to you to follow up on it if you're interested enough to attempt anything they showcase.

defsrg
05-14-2003, 02:58 PM
i couldnt really understand what he said but what mpeg player was olaf using to playback his tystudio mpeg outputs? it made me curious as he claimed it was the best.
________
FREE **** MOVIES (http://www.****tube.com/)

leolaporte
05-14-2003, 10:08 PM
It's VLC from http://www.videolan.org/

Very cool free MPEG-2 player. The only free one I know. It works much better than WMP.

Sorry you guys didn't enjoy the segment. I guess I'm just not as 1337 as you all.

osetivo
05-14-2003, 10:39 PM
How could it please these guys. They know this stuff inside and out. What are they gonna learn? Program is too limited timewise to do anything but generate interest from non De"TiVo"tees. We did learn Olaf is not DVD-Create guy. Thank goodness, he's a bit too creepy.

Thanks Leo.

PS: the Movie choice sucked (remember your audience) :)

leolaporte
05-14-2003, 10:50 PM
I don't know - I just thought that they'd be pleased to see Olaf and TyStudio on mainstream TV. Can you think of any other program that would do that? Any magazine? If you guys aren't even interested, I doubt you ever will again.

Incidentally, Olaf chose the movie.

bato
05-14-2003, 11:19 PM
you can't please everyone, remember that there are people not posting in this thread, we know that in a 7min slot is not possible to teach people how to use TyStudio

I guess some wanted Olaf to give good news about TyStudio

sometimes I learn something new in your show and I thank you for that, I recorded/watched/deleted this show to see Olaf not to see TyStudio in "action", I already have it in my Dtivo/PC :D

AlphaWolf
05-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by leolaporte
It's VLC from http://www.videolan.org/

Very cool free MPEG-2 player. The only free one I know. It works much better than WMP.

Sorry you guys didn't enjoy the segment. I guess I'm just not as 1337 as you all.

I didn't think it was bad leo. I think you know as well as I do that everybody who was dissing your show is a bit envious :D

Hell, at least now I get to claim that one of my suggestions directly affected national television, if nothing else :D

BubbleLamp
05-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
I didn't think it was bad leo. I think you know as well as I do that everybody who was dissing your show is a bit envious :D

Speak for yourself Alpha. The only reason I'd be envious of Leo is he gets to see Jessica all day, NOT for anything he does on the show.:o

warwickp
05-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Jessica!!!!!!

What about Sarah!!!! She's the reason to Tivo it everyday. Unfortunately, she's not on it very often! Perhaps we can talk to Leo about that!!

:p

rgardjr
05-15-2003, 02:41 AM
Just a little curious as someone that has been a little frustrated when it comes to the learning curve involved in actually producing dvds from ty streams. I finally have gotten some satisfactory results from TMPGEnc DVD Author (accurate cuts with no loss of sync & no reencoding). I was watching tonite and heard you make the comment about the motion picture industry being afraid of potential of someone being able to produce a dvd from a DTivo ty. Personally, I just don't see the threat. I would be alot easier for someone to rent/borrow an actual dvd of the movie and copy that. The video quality wil probably be better going this route-plus all the menus, chapters, subs, language tracks are there. I really only see extraction as being worthwhile for programming that is not already available on dvd. Now if you want to get the Tivo/DirecTV peoples panties in a bunch how about a segment about streaming tys to your computer using the ty media player. Personally, I now have the ability to sit in the same room as my wife and watch your showon my laptop while she watches something else (she's not a big fan of "nerd tv").

rd001
05-15-2003, 08:07 AM
I don't know - I just thought that they'd be pleased to see Olaf and TyStudio on mainstream TV. Can you think of any other program that would do that? Any magazine? If you guys aren't even interested, I doubt you ever will again.Nice work, Leo.

Nearly all the Tivo folk enjoyed it. And Tivo (as a brand name) benefitted. I'm sure we've picked up some new hobbyists here at DealDatabase from your efforts.

Your recent Tivo and Xbox shows are probably introducing a whole lot of people to gadget hacking who would never have even known that it existed.

Don't take some of the hacker elite types too seriously. They've been trolling Slashdot.org for so long that they attack everything that doesn't meet some MIT purist hacker elite standard. It means nothing. If you hung around here for a while, you'd find out that these snobs are rarely the ones who actually produce useful original working software though they seem to have a lot of software/hardware skills in general. And, Leo, your show helps a lot of people out, informs people about a lot of cool new gadgets. Not everyone works in a company that takes them to the big computer trade shows or where they get the latest tech the soonest. I know I've found out about cool new games and new gadgets from your show. And some of your little tech tips can be very useful. Or just telling us that some new drivers or DirectX stuff is out. Very useful.

You have a very nice show. I'm glad you're looking at the gadget hacking. I'm sure that you had to talk to lawyers so you went to a lot of extra effort just to serve your viewers better. I can't imagine any other show having the boldness to cover such topics.

So, have you received much viewer input at the show over the Xbox and Tivo shows? I'm interested in whether ordinary folks are showing some interest or whether the segments mostly interested the hacker types who already are doing the gadget hacks before they saw the shows.

AlphaWolf
05-15-2003, 08:40 AM
It definitely takes some balls to expose stuff like this to mass audiences. Most media firms wouldn't dare do anything that would make microsoft hate them in the slightest, yet techtv goes right on ahead with demonstrating how to mod an xbox. I think techtv is doing the right thing, we need more of exactly this before the masses accept any legislation that prevents you from modifying your own personal electronic devices, which could very well happen one of these days.

JJBliss
05-15-2003, 09:31 AM

Do we actually ever use 1337 anymore !??!?

ROFL

- - Couldn't resist.

Thanks for the segment Leo. It was cool. Jessica is indeed the best thing about that show. Tell her I said, Hi.

;)

keith721
05-15-2003, 10:16 AM
I TiVo the show every night, and really enjoy the banter between you, Patrick, Michaela, and everyone else. When a segment is not something I like, I fast forward (that's what TiVo's for, right?) I've learned about several interesting web pages and software tools from the show, which I might not otherwise find by surfing the web.

I didn't realistically expect the show to go into the technical details of TyStudio, because the vast majority of your audience doesn't want to know that kind of stuff. Using the TSS web page to provide links to more detailed pages about your segments is absolutely the best way to do it. TechTV/TSS gets the web traffic, the advertisers on your page get seen, and the viewers/surfers find a good path to more detailed information, if they want it.

Thanks for airing all the TiVo hacking segments, especially TyStudio. I'll keep watching. ;)

mattdb
05-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Well I normally keep my in the background on the forums, but I just needed to say I watched the show and was pleased. I would like to see more of this type stuff in the future. I just love the fact that The Screen Savers puts stuff like this on TV. Most of the masses are not as geeky as us, so it hits the right target.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep Tivoing the show!

One more thing. I would never have found the VLC player with out your show. Thx for that! That is one of the best things about your show!

You should also check this little nifty piece of hardware.

www.nirvis.com Would make a great show item!

Matt

zobetron
05-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Leo,

I have enjoyed watching all of your tivo and xbox hacking segments. I like particularly like the segments of the show where you or Patrick or Yoshi get into the guts of pc/consumer electronics and hack around.

Thanks,

z

cwingert
05-15-2003, 03:18 PM
I enjoyed the segment myself. It seemed like Leo had to lead Olaf a bit....

I am still mad at TSS for giving up Morgan though. Her segments were lame, but she was fun to watch.

Thrasher9
05-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Well Leo, if you are still reading this thread.
I too just wanted to say thanks.
If it wasn't for TSS I wouldn't even know about this forum and wouldn't be streaming tivo to my PC.
Heck I wouldn't even have a tivo if it wasn't for TSS.

Just finished modding my xbox and all is well. Keep up the good work.
From Alaska.
-T9

Pro-289
05-15-2003, 05:43 PM
I wonder when and if Megan will return. Now she was fun to watch. :) I've been watching this show since the ZDTV days when that one redhead sidekick Kate was there. But I don't really watch the show religiously, I watch it when I happen to flip to the channel and see something cool. I was all into that 3 team puter building contest a while back. Since I don't watch it everyday, I'd rather not Tivo it myself. I know I could get into some major hard drive stuffage issues. But anyway, if Leo's readin, keep up the good work. The show's great. And I hope the powers that be can keep the show going for many more years to come. A ten year celebration episode would make an interesting show of computer history. Can you imagine the amount of technology advances you'd see in a span of ten years.

cwingert
05-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Are you kidding? There is no way this show will go away.

As people become more reliant on tech gadgets, they will also need someone to explain them.

A few more years I could see a TSS/CFH channel.

Hell they have a Golf and Tennis channel.

ronnythunder
05-15-2003, 09:22 PM
leo, thanks for participating here at dealdatabase! i saw the piece and i thought it was pretty good. sure, it didn't explain every single detail, but to do so would take a few hours!

kudos to you and olaf for making a good segment. don't let the boo birds get you down :)

ronny

Martlet
05-15-2003, 11:45 PM
And when is that Mac only episode going to air?

You know we got the ty streams to prove you said it! :D

tulsastorm
05-16-2003, 08:15 AM
I really respect Leo and Patrick's recommendations for software and hardware, and I doubt I would have purchased a TiVo until I saw it demonstrated on TSS. I'm currently using a manual recording that tapes the show once a week, and the newsletter does a good job of summarizing the eps that I miss. Sorry, I don't have 5 hours a week to devote to TSS.

I would like to see TechTV dump the entertainment programs (Max Headroom, Thunderbirds, etc.) and take on the Discovery Channel approach with how-to shows of 30-60 minutes in length and covering such topics as MS Office, Windows, programming, web development, TiVo hacking, etc. I have spent several hundred dollars taking computer classes at my local community college, but I really haven't learned anything that I haven't already figured out myself. Just my 2 cents...

captain_video
05-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Right now I expect that the entertainment programs are just filler until TechTV can come up with a wider lineup. On a similar topic, I've been seeing some rumblings over at the Tivo Community Forum about video extraction as a result of Leo's segment on TSS. Those guys are so anal about the topic that anyone that even breathes the word "extraction" in a post gets flamed by the mods. I'm constantly amazed that the so-called experts that hang out there are totally clueless about what a Tivo can really do. I keep throwing out plugs for DDB so who knows.

hickory
05-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Captain,

You mean their "anal" when they are online which lately hasn't been much :rolleyes:

Pro-289
05-22-2003, 01:42 PM
well captain, seems your plugs, or maybe someone elses, work. As I found this forum through tivo community. The information I've found here in the last few months is invaluable. I hope this forum never breaks due to political crap.

captain_video
05-22-2003, 02:13 PM
We do our best to keep the political stuff to a minimum, which is why talk about DTV hacking is so frowned upon here. We know that people do it but we just can't discuss it openly. We already know that extraction could be considered borderline illegal if not downright so when viewed through the eyes of the DMCA. Hopefully the law will be challenged and revised to where it allows for fair use when copying from a Tivo or other digital source for personal use. We just don't need Dave to throw his hat in the ring and raise a major ruckus like he's currently doing in the DTV hacking community.

AlphaWolf
05-22-2003, 06:23 PM
I have never given tivocommunity much credit to begin with realy...not only do the moderators do a terrible job, but the admins can't administer their servers properly. The restrictions against video extraction are extremely goofy IMO.

Nonetheless, where they fail we succeed.

FreydNot
05-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
We already know that extraction could be considered borderline illegal if not downright so when viewed through the eyes of the DMCA.

Keep in mind that extraction from an SA is clearly okay according to the DCMA. Since the origional content was analog at some point (just before TiVo's mpeg encoder) the 'D'cma doesn't apply. At least that's my laymens opionion. YMMV.