PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Around the Screen

BikerChic
05-06-2003, 08:39 AM
I used the tystudio to pull down the ty file. I process it as dvd. When I play it, the top of the screen is fuzzy with a black and whit line at the top. Has anyone seen this? I have tried DVD, SVCD, etc... all the same.

Thanks

Agix
05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
I get the same thing, thought I was the only one.

Maybe someone has a clue to why this happens?

larray
05-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Your seeing this when you play the DVD back in your computer using a software based DVD player (like PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc) correct?

The reason is that on your computer with a software player you are actually seeing the ENTIRE broadcast screen size. There is actually an area (and several DVD mastering applications will even give you an overlay) where playback is considered "safe" (especially for DVD menus) and anything outside this bounding box is considered "superfulous". Television broadcasts actually take up an area slightly larger than what your picture tube actually reproduces.

I bet if you play the DVD on an STB you won't see the lines at the top.

(As to what they are, I've HEARD that they are actually closed captioning info and extra program info that can be recognized by your TV and displayed).

BikerChic
05-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks

JJBliss
05-06-2003, 01:18 PM
The white lines you see at the top of a DVD that you view on your PC using DVD software are the closed captioning information.

It is not visible when playing the same disk on a television set-top box, for exactly the same reasons detailed above.

This has been asked before. The following link points to that thread:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23469&highlight=white+lines+top