PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 Advice...

booger
05-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I've been hacking Series one SA and DTivo's for a couple of years now. I'm tired of listening to the whining when the tv won't play cartoons, as frequently happens these days. So, I'm goin legit on one system.

I'm considering a Phillips DSR7000 or a SA Tivo and a Sat system.

Does the DTivo offer USB ports and the home option?

Anyone with pros or cons on the choices? I'm not so concerned with hacking it past adding extra capacity, which is easy enough to do.

Series 2's are a new animal to me, so any help is appreciated.

mrblack51
05-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by booger
I'm considering a Phillips DSR7000 or a SA Tivo and a Sat system.

Does the DTivo offer USB ports and the home option?

Anyone with pros or cons on the choices? I'm not so concerned with hacking it past adding extra capacity, which is easy enough to do.

Series 2's are a new animal to me, so any help is appreciated.

adding capacity is pretty simple on either an s2 SA or an s2 dtivo. however, if you want to add a second drive, you will need to figure out your own way to mount the drive.

s2 dtivo has usb ports, but they cannot be accessed for anything without obtaining bash. dtv controls the s2 dtivo, and descided to not rollout HMO until it was clear that tivo wasnt going to get sued over it. course, that could mean it will never get rolled out.

any s2 is more difficult to hack than a s1 unit, because the prom is not flashable. check the s2 forum for more info on that subject.