PDA

View Full Version : TiVo with Digital Cable?

benjamer
05-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Im a complete newbie to TiVos, but was thinking about purchasing one to get rid of my old VCR. The only problem is that with my VCR, I am unable to record anything and watch something else at the same. I dont know whether this would be a problem with a Tivo, and I know that there are DirecTiVos, but is there anything for digital cable that will let me record a program without having to watch it at the same time? Thanks.

skate4ltj
05-07-2003, 10:27 PM
I have regular cable and I was able to set it up so it will record while I watch another channel, and what I did, I don't see why it couldn't work for you.

Have your cable go to your digital cable box, then from the RF coax output of the cable box, use a two way splitter, with one output going to the tivo and one output going to the TV. Now, have one of the analog A/V outputs from the tivo go to the analog input for your TV. Your Tivo will come through your TV through one of the video inputs (input 1 or input 2) and when your tivo is recording, you can just switch to the TV's regular cable and it works. You just can't pause TV or use any of the other Tivo features when you're watching the regular cable.

captain_video
05-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Digital cable requires a set top box for each individual feed. In order to watch one show while recording another on your Tivo, you'd need two digital cable boxes to decode the signal. The input to your house would have to be split to send one feed to the Tivo/cable box combo and the other feed going to your TV/box combo. If you have more than one set of A/V inputs on your TV then you can connect the Tivo to one set and the 2nd cable box to the other input. If you only have a single s-video input then you might want to consider buying an outboard switcher to select the input externally and use the single s-video input for all sources.

Personally, if you have a clear line of sight to the DTV satellites I'd recommend DTV over digital cable in a heartbeat. Get yourself a DirecTivo and you can record two shows while watching a 3rd that was previously recorded or record one show while watching a 2nd live feed. The monthly service fee for the DTivo is only $4.95/month for as many DTivos as you want to add to your account vs. $12.95/month for EACH AND EVERY standalone Tivo you own. If you have the Platinum (?) DTV service then the DVR fee is waived. The monthly programming costs of DTV vs. cable should be pretty similar (although I think you'll get more bang for the buck with DTV) so the main difference is in the monthly Tivo/DVR fee. I think you may also have to pay a monthly fee for each digital cable box you have on your account.

benjamer
05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
ok, thanks for the advice. I might switch over the DTV, if it works that much easier :)

DarqKnyght
05-15-2003, 02:34 AM
I have both Digital Cable and a TiVo and they provide an IR repeater that you place in front of your cable box so that the TiVo can change the channels with just the peanut.

Basically, you're good to go either way.

Joey303
05-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Good to go either way? No way.

TiVo & Digital Cable suck together because TiVo can't consistently change channels on most digital cable boxes.

There is no question that the combo units (DirecTiVos) are superior to the standalone TiVo units. If you have a direct line of sight to the DirecTV bird and if DirecTV offers locals in your area, then by all means buy a combo unit. The integration is phenomenal.