PDA

View Full Version : TMPGENC DVD Author 1.0.4.22

JJBliss
05-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Hey....

This works NICE. Very well done. I think you should try it. From the makers of that quintessential tool TMPGENC Plus

;)

Not as robust as other packages, but lean and mean. It autobuilds menus for ya, with pre-packaged menu/chapter templates

It doesn't burn DVD's but it does create burnable IFO/VOBs

Caveats and Issues
---------------------------

First:

It needs to be registered. Look around the usual places for that information.

Second:

If you use TyStudio, or TyTool (or whatever) to get elemental streams out of your Tivo, it seems that TMPGENC DVD Author produces good DVD files for burning with the burner of your choice, like Nero Burning ROM.

Third:

You'll need DVD Patcher to patch the resulting .m2v file (First Header Only) to 720x480 before it will accept the file as a viable media asset. But don't worry, you DON'T have to patch it back.

Fourth:

Add the .m2v file then add the .m2a file. You'll still get a GOP error, but you can ignore it.

I've tested it and it works well for me using WinDVD and my Toshiba set-top box. YMMV

I'd attach it here, but it's too big for Dealdatabase's server. If you can't find it let me know in this thread, and I'll find someone who will host it, but it is STILL available from the website

http://www.tmpgenc.net/download_files/TDA10422install-EN.exe

fixn278
05-07-2003, 08:50 PM
woohoo!!!

JJBliss
05-07-2003, 09:05 PM
GOP accurate editing, but at least it gives you a visual heads up on the I/P/B frames so you know what you're up against.

Also, nice interface for cutting out commercials with an automatic rejoin of the remaining GOPS.

Not an amazing package, just nice for what we do.

Zirak
05-08-2003, 03:23 PM
I tried this and it seemed to work great, except for one problem. The first VOB file per clip works perfectly, but the audio sync is off by at least a second starting at the second VOB file.

Anyone else experiencing this? tytool was the extraction method.

05-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Zirak
Anyone else experiencing this? tytool was the extraction
method.

Did you edit with tytools (gopeditor) or with with author program?

seeker14
05-09-2003, 12:31 PM
I tried this and it worked without any sync problems on either 1st or 2nd vob using elemental streams and no transcoding from tyeditor.

I edited only the beginning of the file with tyeditor.

I noticed I had to patch back the first vob file to 480x480 to get it to work on some hardware and software players. This was required for an Apex 1100 and for Power DVD, WinDVD and an Apex 1200 did not require the patch back to 480x480.

I did not play around much with the menu's, just wanted to burn a movie (used Nero with IMGtool front end).

Seemed to work fine, but have not used many of the features.

Same basic result as using IFOedit, but you have the possibilities of menus, editing and a few other functions.

fixn278
05-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by seeker14
I edited only the beginning of the file with tyeditor.

I noticed I had to patch back the first vob file to 480x480 to get it to work on some hardware and software players.

My DVD player choked on the output for the first second or two also, but recovered.

I went back and used the same video, but did all of my cutting in TMPGEnc DVD Author, and cut off the very beginning of the clip (which includes the part patched to 720x480. It seems to fix the problem.

Fugg
05-09-2003, 01:05 PM
any more menu templates avaiable for this?

better yet, anyway to build your own?

:confused:

fixn278
05-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Fugg

You probably already saw this, but in case you didn't, there are a few templates built in (in the upper left hand corner of the "Create Menu" screen.)

I checked their website and they don't indicate that you can make or modify templates. Maybe it will be added in the future....

JJBliss
05-09-2003, 01:33 PM

Yeah...

I thought the same thing.

It's quite lean, but really effective. If you are the type who needs more robust menus with options, or the ability to customize them, there are much more significant products out there.

I just thought you guys want something with four buttons that works fast and pretty good.

fixn278
05-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JJBliss
Yeah...

I thought the same thing.

It's quite lean, but really effective. If you are the type who needs more robust menus with options, or the ability to customize them, there are much more significant products out there.

I just thought you guys want something with four buttons that works fast and pretty good.

It seems to be a great no-hassle way to go from tivo to cut & chaptered DVD very quickly.

I like it....

Zirak
05-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Did you edit with tytools (gopeditor) or with with author program?

Edited with Tempgenc DVD author itself with a muxed mpeg as the input. I tried elemental streams, but on audio import dvd author forces transcoding of the audio stream, and the transcode fails 2/3s of the way through.

JJBliss
05-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Zirak
Edited with Tempgenc DVD author itself with a muxed mpeg as the input. I tried elemental streams, but on audio import dvd author forces transcoding of the audio stream, and the transcode fails 2/3s of the way through.

A muxed mpeg ???

err.... Why would you use that !??!

OK, Try this:

use Tytool or some method of getting a .ty file.

Use tystudio to cut it (if you like) and then process it into elemental streams with no audio transcoding. Or, just created the elemental streams with no audio transcoding with Tystudio, an cut it later in TMPGENC DVD.

Patch the resulting .m2v file with DVDPatcher to 720x480 (First header only)

Import the resulting .m2v file and the resulting .m2a file into TMPGENC DVD Author. Cut out the first second of video (the one with the patched up header) Then menu and burn.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Fugg
05-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Don't get me wrong! Thanks for the headsup!

..but with 12 episodes on a disk, with 10 to 12 chapters each, it gets pretty messy with the supplied templates.

JJBliss
05-09-2003, 10:10 PM

..but with 12 episodes on a disk, with 10 to 12 chapters each, it gets pretty messy with the supplied templates.

oh yeah, that's for sure.....

:D

back to Spruce Up..

;)

Zirak
05-09-2003, 11:51 PM
A muxed mpeg ???

Not sure the terminology is on the same page. Allowed tytool to combine the m2a and m2v files into an mpg.

err.... Why would you use that !??!

easy

OK, Try this:

Use tystudio to cut it (if you like) and then process it into elemental streams with no audio transcoding. Or, just created the elemental streams with no audio transcoding with Tystudio, an cut it later in TMPGENC DVD.

Tystudio screws up the audio sync. I am confident that it will be fixed and be the standard awesome method. But, the current off by several seconds after 2 hours isn't going to cut it.

Import the resulting .m2v file and the resulting .m2a file into TMPGENC DVD Author. Cut out the first second of video (the one with the patched up header) Then menu and burn.

I'm not seeing this. Definitely getting closer, but editing with Tempgenc or tempgenc dvd author is screwing things up.

Remember, the first mpeg (first vob) is perfect. Only the second vob has the sync issue. And yes, the sync problem is obvious and large at the beginning of the second VOB. The end of the first VOB is perfect.

The tystream is from an SA.

Combining m2v w/m2a with ifoedit is an improvement, but still pretty bad (off by a second)

Tytool 6r2
Tystudio b2

defsrg
05-10-2003, 12:59 AM
just curious when patching is everyone using 3.5 br or some thing else eg 8.0 etc...
________
Healthy relationship advice advice (http://www.love-help.org/healthy-relationship-advice/)

rpongett
05-10-2003, 03:20 AM

..but with 12 episodes on a disk, with 10 to 12 chapters each, it gets pretty messy with the supplied templates. I have the exact same issue -- about 35 DVDs packed with between 7 to 11 episodes of programs in .ty format per disk.

I'm looking for a batch program that will compile VOBs and menus (functional, even if ugly) with the filenames of each file in a Video_TS folder ready to burn.

I'm getting the feeling reading a lot of threads the last few months that I'm not the only one. Josh's tytool was moving in that direction, but its progress appears to be stalled.

kkmike
05-11-2003, 04:10 PM

OK, Try this:

I don't have the audio problem, but regarding the above -
Cutting out the first second (I even cut out 30 seconds) doesn't remove the patched up header. After outputting the m2v to TS_VIDEO files using TMPGEnc DVD Author, I loaded the first VOB file into DVDPatcher just to take a look, and it still showed as being 720x480. Having said that, it didn't matter whether I cut it out, left it, or patched it back, the DVD worked great......except it only worked great in my old RCA dvd player. My newer Toshiba played it back with a frame and a half showing on my tv screen - meaning there is room for a 480x480 square picture plus the start of the next frame. The tv is a standard 4x3 aspect. I was able to make a dvd that worked well on both using DVDWS, but that was after letting it re-encode everything and the whole process took some 5 hours.
I spent this weekend reading every post here, tried several programs & a lot of everyone's suggestions - and I guess I'm still looking for the same thing - a quick way from .ty to DVD.
By the way, this is a great message board.

Mike

defsrg
05-14-2003, 02:53 PM
so far i am 10 for 10 when using this program for authoring ty studio outputs with no issues what so ever except for the fact i cannot for the life of me figure out how to resize the menu screen so that it outputs correctly on a 4x3 screen? its just the main menu that is streched beyond belief when it loads but the subsequent screens, the chapter and title screens, output correctly. is it just me or did anyone else have this problem also?
thanx but thats all the issues i have had no sync probelms or anything.
________
Redhead Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/redhead-girls/)

rgardjr
05-15-2003, 02:18 AM
I've been playing around with the other authoring software and methods and none have really given me satifactory results. This program has worked perfectly for what I am trying to accomplish so far. Basically, I just wanted to make some compilation dvds for my daughter with kids shows. These shows don't contain commercial, but do require trimming before and after the main program. The cut feauture in this program has worked great and I haven't experienced any audio sync problems that I have with other methods. I just noticed that when I've been patching the files with dvd patcher that I had used the default 3.5 MBS instead of the 15 MBS that is present in the original rip. Is this going to create problems with the estimated final size being off? I've patched together a couple of samples so far and played the harddrive output fine. Thanks for this find-my frustration level has dropped tremendously.
Thanks-
Rick

Pete Ruttman
05-19-2003, 12:52 PM
I have made a cople DVDs with this and they work fine. However, I am unhappy with the menuing. I just want a text menu of the tracks on the disc and when I click on it should start playing. From what I can tell there is no way to do this. So far I have gone with one that gives me a second screen for each track and I have to choose play from that. Totally unnecessary. Anyone know how to get around this?

pete

kkmike
05-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by kkmike
/Having said that, it didn't matter whether I cut it out, left it, or patched it back, the DVD worked great......except it only worked great in my old RCA dvd player. My newer Toshiba played it back with a frame and a half showing on my tv screen - meaning there is room for a 480x480 square picture plus the start of the next frame.

I've made several DVD's now and they all work great. The problem was the Toshiba DVD player. I took a DVD I made to Best Buy and played it in 9 different DVD/TV combo units and it played great in all of them. I tried it in 3 different Toshiba players (SD1800, SD2800, SD4800) and all had the same problem. I bought a new Sony ($95.00) and all is well. So I guess I'm just letting everyone know that if you're in the market for a new DVD player, stay away from Toshiba.

Pete Ruttman
05-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Ya, of all the people I know that have toshibas, none can play dvd-r. They may make them compatible in newer players but those that are nearing 2 years old I have seen pretty much can only play what the manual says.

pete

kkmike
05-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ruttman
Ya, of all the people I know that have toshibas, none can play dvd-r. They may make them compatible in newer players but those that are nearing 2 years old I have seen pretty much can only play what the manual says.

pete
These are brand new Toshibas - I bought 2 this weekend at Best Buy - and returned them same day (I asked them if I could hook them up to a TV and try out my DVD, but they said no - so now they have 2 open items on display!) and neither played back correctly. These Toshiba's play back -R/RW +R/RW, they just won't play back the 480x480 picture correctly.

shuiqlazam
05-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Man oh Man,

If I could, I'd love to shake your hand. This authoring tool is absolutely 100% the bomb.

I tested using this Authoring software and successfully created a DVD with 6 1-hour episodes minus commercials and no noticeable audio sync problems.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

It is a flawless workflow and I say thanks again so much....

Plus- I have been an avid SpruceUp user and I am never going back to that! The menu options are far superior to SpruceUp and yet is just as easy to use.

JJBliss is my hero.

Cheers!
Shui

JJBliss
05-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by shuiqlazam
Man oh Man,

If I could, I'd love to shake your hand. This authoring tool is absolutely 100% the bomb.

I tested using this Authoring software and successfully created a DVD with 6 1-hour episodes minus commercials and no noticeable audio sync problems.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Plus- I have been an avid SpruceUp user and I am never going back to that! The menu options are far superior to SpruceUp and yet is just as easy to use.

JJBliss is my hero.

Cheers!
Shui

Jeeezus!!!

:D :D

You're welcome dude......

Knock yourself out...

JJ

alanjudy
05-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by shuiqlazam

Can you post your workflow.

1. Which tool to extract (mftp, Tytool, TyStudio, tivoweb)
2. Which tool to demux (tytool/vsplit, tydemux, tystudio)
3. Which tool to cut (Gopedit4, TyStudio, Tmpegenc, TmpegDVD)
4. Which tool to mux (is this even needed)
5. And then author with TmpegDVD.

I suspect that you will say:
1. Any tool to get tyfile.
2. Tydemux to get elemental streams
3. TmpegDVD to cut???
4. Not needed
5. .... with no sync problems.

I haven't installed TmpegDVD yet (later this week) so I'm just looking to minimize my time with the 'right' workflow.

Thanks

=alanjudy

itopia
05-19-2003, 07:26 PM
"JJBliss is my hero.

Cheers!
Shui "

I couldn't agree more. There is finally a bulletproof method to go from Directivo to DVD with no sync problems. I'm 5 for 5 and couldn't be happier except for some more editing options with the menus in DVD Author. Anyone know if the outputted VOB files from DVD Author can be opened up in another program to edit out the menus a little more. I guess a better question is can we hack the DVD Author menus to our own design. Mainly need to be able to position text and images better? Any thoughts?

lord_snot
05-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Of course I have a Toshiba:-( I think I'm going to go buy a new dvd player that can play these dvd's cause this was just too easy. Plus the video actually looks good. If anybody figures out a workaround for the Toshiba 1 1/2 frame issue, please share it!

shuiqlazam
05-20-2003, 12:31 AM
Can you post your workflow.

1. Which tool to extract --- I use TyStudio (not on the fly), but have used Tytool6r1 on a Ty that TyStudio wouldn't do -
2. Which tool to demux (tydemux - Elemental and no transcode, Tytool)
3. Which tool to cut (TmpegDVD has an nice cutting tool IMHO and you can preview through your cuts to see if you like them.)
4. Which tool to mux - no muxing!
5. DVDpatchert to patch to 720X480 - don't change you bitrate or any other settings, just the frame size.
5a. rename your audio from m2a to m2p. This way TMPEGdvd reconizes it without having to choose * quick perl script...
6. And then author with TmpegDVD.

It's got a great DVD space bar, great cutting tools, Menus that you can make a huge folder system... way kewl.

This is a great solution and I am 2 for 2 with 6 1-hour episodes on each DVD.

It's a good deal, and i might pay for this authoring software (if it's under a $100)

Cheers!
Shui

lord_snot
05-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Has anyone had any success playing these dvds on an X-Box?

kkmike
05-23-2003, 09:16 AM
They play fine on a PS2

zobetron
05-23-2003, 10:54 AM
I build my DVDs with Maestro (TmpegDVD should work just as well) and then burn them to DVD-R with Nero (5.5.10.20). I use the "DVD-ROM (UDF)" selection in the DVD wizard and then check the "Force DVD-Video" compatibility mode (required for X-Box TM)" checkbox.

Works for me in the X-Box and my stand alone DVD players.

z

Note: not all DVD-R disks are created equal. Some brands will work with the X-Box some will not. There is a list somewhere. I use Princo 1x because they are cheap and I don't mind waiting 55 minutes to burn a disk.

rgardjr
05-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by lord_snot
Has anyone had any success playing these dvds on an X-Box?

The one I tested worked fine on my Xbox. I burned the DVD-RW with RecordNow DX. I don't remember the media brand. My Xbox has the Samsung dvd drive.

tards
05-29-2003, 07:15 PM
This program works great for me with DTivo elemental streams.

1. Tystudio to split to video=elemental stream, audio=no transcoding.
2. DVDPatcher to patch first header to 720x480
3. TMPG Author to edit, author, and create DVD folders
4. RecordNowMax to burn as data disc.

Everthing about the DVDs works perfectly.

I noticed that jdiner says he had "8 out of 10" success with TMPG Author. But for me, it works on one file that jdiner's tytools crashes out on.

tards
05-29-2003, 07:15 PM
This program works great for me with DTivo elemental streams.

1. Tystudio to split to video=elemental stream, audio=no transcoding.
2. DVDPatcher to patch first header to 720x480
3. TMPG Author to edit, author, and create DVD folders
4. RecordNowMax to burn as data disc.

Everthing about the DVDs works perfectly.

I noticed that jdiner says he had "8 out of 10" success with TMPG Author. But for me, it works on one file that jdiner's tytools crashes out on.

07-05-2003, 09:09 PM
A bump to let people know the newer version of this tools no longer requires a chapter menu for each title. You can just have a main menu which selects each title. You can also burn your DVD directly from the program.

I'm having better luck with the output from this than with Tytools.

lord_snot
07-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Alright guys, the new version is out and it supports motion menus. The problem is my motion menus are showing as 1 1/2 frames on the screen (video pulled from a dtivo and first header patched to 720x480). Does anybody have a fix for this? Everything else works great. I'm thinking there has got to be a hex edit or something that will make this sucker work without patching headers (which I think is the problem).