PDA

View Full Version : Vid quality of Dtivo extractions

Tuuv
05-08-2003, 12:05 AM
In a previous post I read a comment to the effect that the video quality of Dtivo streams extracted and processed by using Tystudio once burned to Dvd should be identical to the stream played on the Dtivo.

My experience is a different one. I process the streams using elemental stream for the video and no transcoding for the audio as options. I see marked artifacts on the final product, which are not that pronounced on the original stream when played by the Dtivo.

I know part of the problem is that the Dtivo and the dvd player are connected to a 62" rear projection tv, which tends to accentuate the artifacts. However, since both the Dtivo and the dvd player are connected to the same tv then we are comparing apples with apples. I connected the dvd player to a tube tv in one of the rooms and the artifacts could still be seen but of course greatly reduced. Don't get me wrong, I am no saying that the output is unwatchable, only that is just not the same quality as the actual stream. Should I be getting same quality and I am just doing something wrong?

The playback dvd is an Apex which I had to buy since all the other Toshiba Dvd players we have refused to play the burned dvds. Maybe I am just seeing the Apex's mechanics at work, but I have also played commercial dvds on it and there isnt really too much of marked difference. An xbox and ps2 are also connected to the 62" tv and using them to play the burned dvds has results somewhat similar to the Apex.

Do the Pros have any comment or advice to offer?

Thanks.

Riot
05-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Sounds like you may in fact be experiencing the supreme engineering (or lack thereof) of the Apex unit. The video stream itself is *identical*, so no, you shouldn't be experiencing any difference in video quality. I've got both my DTivo and DVD player hooked up to a 60" rear projection TV, and have not seem any artifacts or other anamolies when comparing the video from the DTivo and a burned TyDVD. The DVD player in my cabinet is a Pioneer DV-444, which I would highly recommend for playback of TyDVDs. Quality product from a real company (no comments on Apex). The DV-440 unit also works great.

Fugg
05-08-2003, 08:22 AM
It's all in the hardware, baby.:)

The hardware decoder in a tivo is a better quality than the one in your apex. No offence to apex, they're some great, versatile players. I have bought more than a few in my time.

But, as Riot posted, they don't hold a candle to a good quality player, such as the Pioneer DV-444.

It'd be a worthwhile investment, especially for someone with a large screen tv and impeccable tastes.
;)

captain_video
05-08-2003, 09:21 AM
I had an Apex AD-1100W for about two weeks before I got rid of it. While it would play just about any format I threw at it, it was still a piece of cheap junk. Let's face it, you get what you pay for. They may be extremely versatile but they are very cheaply made. They use inexpensive DVD transports from DVD-ROM drives used in a PC. Open one up and set it side by side with any decent quality set top DVD player and the build quality is readily evident. I can't think of any quality audio or video components that are manufactured in China, can you?

I have since purchased a Sony DVP-NS715P (at least I think that's the model number) and it blew away the Apex in picture quality. I think if you connect your DVD player via the component video outputs to the RPTV you may actually see a slight improvement in the picture over the DTivo since the best you'll get from it is via S-video outputs. I used to think there were artifacts being introduced into the DVD recordings until I compared it against the original DTivo recordings and discovered that any perceived artifacts were present in the original video.

lophophore
05-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I have had very good luck with my Sony DVP-NS755P playing tyDVDs. Works great. My friends with their Apex's often report strange playback problems, even on "real" DVDs.

What's even more fun (and off topic) is the DSD (super audio CD) playback. You have to hear Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1!

Lophophore

ronnythunder
05-08-2003, 04:28 PM
i can also recommend the pioneer dv-250. only $88 at walmart, and it looks great on my isf calibrated sony bigscreen. dtivo and dvds made from dtivo look identical.

ronny

Tuuv
05-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys.

This is what I was looking for, confirmation that there is a way to get better playback out of burned dvds and that there are name brand dvd players that will play burned dvds.

I was down in Florida for a month month vacation walked into Walmart and could only remember Apex from the compatibility list and ended up with 3 of those dirty cheap.