PDA

View Full Version : Hughes Remote Problem

Crank
05-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

I have a Hughes GXCEBOT series 1 DirectTiVo and the remote will only work from about 6 inches away. However it works fine when controlling the TV. Batteries are good. Is the the remote or the IRD sensor bad. Thanks

captain_video
05-08-2003, 10:34 AM
I have heard of this occurring on some DTivos but I'm not sure what the cause is. You might try using a different remote to control the DTivo. Philips makes some inexpensive universal remotes that have DTivo commands but I don't think it actually lists them in the compatibility chart. You may have to use the VCR or DSS receiver settings to find the right codes. If the other remote behaves the same way then it's most likely the IR sensor or possibly the ribbon cable between the mainboard and the front panel. Try to reseat the ribbon cable and see if that helps. You may have to pull the front panel off to get to the connector on the IR sensor board. Disconnect the cable from the mainboard and then pull the front panel. Reseat the cable on the front panel connector and then reassemble the front panel to the DTivo. I can't remember if there is any hardware attaching the front panel but it may only be a couple of screws if there are any. It's been a while since I pulled a front panel off a DTivo and my memory ain't what it used to be.

Crank
05-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. You've been very helpful!