PDA

View Full Version : Newbie screwed up his Tivo - needs help

Bodybag
05-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey,

just got a Hughes GXCEBOT from a friend and had a power-up problem. Checked for loose cables, etc... found nothing unusual. Removed the Maxtor 40gb drive and ran Maxtors "powermax" utility to check to see if the drive was bad. The drive checked ok ok and passed as "certified". Anyway, I have now sorted out the power issue but unfortunately, when I ran the Maxtor drive utility, I erased the info on the drive. Now my Tivo won't boot and I need to know how to restore the drive. Where to get the image that was on it, how to put it back on, etc... And, NO I didn;t make a backup of the drive prior to running the Powermax utility (I screwed up).

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

lucid
05-08-2003, 02:24 PM
well you may as well extreme it, or search for the image it's somewhere here or a link for it at least.

Bodybag
05-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I was just searching through the forum and was reading about 25extreme. Can this be done without a serial cable? I don't think my GXCEBOT has a serial port. I actually have the drive here at work with me on my desk and would like to get it back up and running today if possible. Is installing extreme difficult, and can it be done without the Tivo on-hand?

Thanks again

captain_video
05-08-2003, 03:16 PM
You need to install your Tivo drive in your PC to install 2.5Xtreme software. It's a complete Tivo OS image and will overwrite everything on the drive when installed. Check page 3 of the How Tos Only sticky thread in the main DTivo hacking forum for links to 2.5Xtreme images and installation instructions. You'll also find links for backup images that you can restore to your Tivo drive. Get a copy of MFS Tools 2.0 and Hinsdale's How To for backing up and restoring images to your Tivo as well as upgrading procedures for adding new or larger hard drives.