PDA

View Full Version : After Hacks, Tivo locks up, I must unplug to reboot....

Kelly
05-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Tivo was running fine after performing the upgrades but rescently I now experience lockups after Tivos been running for 24 hours but before it reaches 48 hours of uptime. I did notice 4 days ago that playback had frequent 1 to 2 second freezes.

Any ideas?

Kelly

(SA USA unit runing v3.0)
(TivoWeb and TyStudio, installed and running fine)
(Tivo is getting updates over turbonet fine)

Dave-TiVo
05-10-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm definitely no expert; in fact, I'm a newbie to Video Extraction. :)

I believe there may be some problems with running tyserver/tyindex on TiVo. I know when I tried running it, my TiVo locked up solid after only 4 hours. I know other people have been having similar problems (with tyindex I suspect).

I switched to using the TiVoweb mfsstream module to download Ty-Streams, and it works like a charm.

Dave

Kelly
05-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dave-TiVo
I'm definitely no expert; in fact, I'm a newbie to Video Extraction. :)

I believe there may be some problems with running tyserver/tyindex on TiVo. I know when I tried running it, my TiVo locked up solid after only 4 hours. I know other people have been having similar problems (with tyindex I suspect).

I switched to using the TiVoweb mfsstream module to download Ty-Streams, and it works like a charm.

Dave

Dave,

I was thinking it might be TyIndex too since the lock ups have been while Tivo is unattended. The lock ups can occure while transferring data but those seem to clear quickly and don't require a reboot. Tivo has been very sluggish since the Ty hacks. TivoWeb is working great so I'll look into TivoWeb mfsStream.

Thanks!

Kelly
05-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Kelly
Tivo was running fine after performing the upgrades but rescently I now experience lockups after Tivos been running for 24 hours but before it reaches 48 hours of uptime. I did notice 4 days ago that playback had frequent 1 to 2 second freezes.

Any ideas?

Kelly

(SA USA unit runing v3.0)
(TivoWeb and TyStudio, installed and running fine)
(Tivo is getting updates over turbonet fine)

Update:

Got Tivo to run 4 days before having to reboot. Rebooted last night and had to reboot again just 13 hours later.

digitalamish
05-16-2003, 11:31 AM
While I don't have an answer, I can confirm I have seen the problem too. I read in one of the forums that the problem may be a glitch in tivoweb, not in the ty software. I was getting about one lockup a day. What I did was shut down tivoweb, and only bring it up when I need it, and the lockups seem to have stopped. You might want to poke at that.

If you do find an answer, I would be interested. I'd like to leave my tivoweb running.

sirfergy
05-16-2003, 07:08 PM
My TiVo will eventually lockup if I let any Tcl applications run, from TivoWeb to screensaver.

Kelly
05-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by sirfergy
My TiVo will eventually lockup if I let any Tcl applications run, from TivoWeb to screensaver.

Interesting