PDA

View Full Version : How to backup image for restore on different hard drives

txag93
05-09-2003, 04:13 PM
I have a working hacked image on my original 40G drive. I would like to create a backup so that I can later restore it to either the same 40G drive, or to a larger drive. I am having trouble using different mfsbackup and mfsrestore options to get the desired results.

For example, if I backup the 40G drive using:
mfsbackup -a -6so /mnt/c/40GU5hack.bak /dev/hdc I get an image that I can restore back to the same 40G drive using:
mfsrestore -xzpi /mnt/c/40GU5hack/bak /dev/hdc

but it doesn't work when I restore to a 120G drive using either:
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/c/40GU5hack/bak /dev/hdc
mfsrestore -xzpi /mnt/c/40GU5hack/bak /dev/hdc

For some reason it creates 16 partitions on the 120G drive and only 14 were on the original 40G drive.

I have also tried
mfsrestore -zpi /mnt/c/40GU5hack/bak /dev/hdc
mfsrestore -xpi /mnt/c/40GU5hack/bak /dev/hdc

but neither worked. One created only 14 partitions, but still the 120G drive would get stuck at Almost there.

Any assistance on using mfsbackup and restore better is appreciated.

2old2play
05-09-2003, 10:17 PM
I have also had this problem, I freind gave me a hacked 40gig image of his HDVR2 and it did not work when I restored it to mine. When he tried it on his origanal 40gig it worked. It was only when I put it to a new drive that none of the hack where there. The /var/hack directory was gone.

I also used tons of different backup option but still with the same results. I had to do all the hacks manually with a freind, which is ok becuase I needed to learn anyway.

Let me know if anyone else has this problem with a hacked image on a new drive.

txag93
05-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Anyone??

fixn278
05-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Based on the Hinsdale guide, your mfsbackup command is slightly off. You are using the parameters listed for an S1. The backup procedure listed for an S2 should be ...

mfsbackup -f 4138 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
(replace the mount points with your own)

your restore should be as follows...

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
(replace the mount points with your own)

Here's a link to the guide...

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

Logandros
05-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Looking at his posts .. he tried it both ways .. but anyway here is something I recently discovered through trial and error ...

Made a backup of my 40GB with all the hacks and trimmings fully working using ...

mfsbackup -a -6so /mnt/c/40151hack.bak /dev/hdc

Sent it to a friend he tried restoring it 2 ways:

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/40151hack.bak /dev/hdc
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/c/40151hack.bak /dev/hdc

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 upgradesoftware=false BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hdaXX\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

Neither worked and he got stuck at the Almost there with no bash.

I told him I give up and he needed to start from scratch. I sent him the originally posted guide to hacking series 2 posted at tivocommunity.

He followed the guide and called me up and said hey .. this is strange I'm able to use my subbed HU, got tivoftpd, tivoweb, and video scrambling is turned off.

I said hmm well that's all the stuff I enabled in the image I sent you. He told me rather than starting with a virgin image he started with the non-working restore he originally restored from my image. So my question is .. following that guide (skipping the restore) what was done that now caused my image to work for him? The only commands I'm not too familiar with:

genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/
dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdcXX bs=1024 count=1

Is it possible that re-copying these files is the key? I will be trying this again with another friend soon. I will post my results, hopefully it will work for others and can be used as a working restore guide.

2old2play
05-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Nice! I think we are on to something. I gave out my all hacks image to a couple people to work with, plus I have a new reciever on the way to try it on. I'll let you know what happens

2old2play
05-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Logandros

Is it possible that re-copying these files is the key? I will be trying this again with another friend soon. I will post my results, hopefully it will work for others and can be used as a working restore guide.

Tell him to be more spacific and get everything he did, step by step. This will help us nail down the problem.

Logandros
05-14-2003, 01:47 PM
I can be no more specific .. he followed the hacking the hdvr2 guide. No other commands on that guide other than the 2 I posted could possibly have affected anything.

2old2play
05-14-2003, 01:49 PM
so he restored your image and then went through the hacking guide?

Logandros
05-14-2003, 01:51 PM
I told him I give up and he needed to start from scratch. I sent him the originally posted guide to hacking series 2 posted at tivocommunity.
He followed the guide and called me up ....

Yes, but I already stated that.

Requiem
05-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Not sure if you're all still interested in this but I've been trying to do the same thing. Logandros' posts started me thinking about this problem and here is what I think is going on.... keep in mind I'm a linux newbie.

When the hacked image is restored and then expanded the "hacks" file never gets written to hdxx. Intuition tells me this is because: first the basic image is restored, then the storage capacity is expanded - and that's what creates hdxx. In essence hdxx didn't exist while the basic part of the restoration was taking place.... it's just a theory.

Anyway, based on this theory and Logandros' post I've come up with these steps to get the job done. I used Jonnydeath's version of the MFSTools2 CD.

First do the restore:

Boot Jonnydeath's version of MFStools2 CD

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/hackedbackup.bak /dev/hdx

Then REBOOT, CTRL-ALT-DEL, the reboot allows the system to recognize the new partitions on hdx.

Once this is complete then execute this part of the tivocommunity guide to HDVR2 Hacking:

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
cd /cdrom
mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo

CTRL-ALT-DEL, power-down and remove your tivo drive. If your placing this in a different HDVR2 than the one the original came from you'll need to do the clear and delete everything for full functionality.

All these steps might not be necessary, but they worked consistently for me when restoring a hacked image backup to a few different 120GB drives. I've tested this as best I can across 2 HDVR2 units.

These steps assume you made your original hacked drive using some variation of the Tivocommunity HDVR2 hacking guide in combination with other hacks listed on this board and elsewhere.

Let me know if this works out for you.

- Requiem

Logandros
05-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Glad to see another agrees .. as I suspected:

was the key after a restore... I was able to test thos 4 times since my original post. All smooth as butter. Now that we have a solid backup / restore method we can move on to other things.

Thanks for the input -=-

Bomber
05-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Logandros
Glad to see another agrees .. as I suspected:

was the key after a restore... I was able to test thos 4 times since my original post. All smooth as butter. Now that we have a solid backup / restore method we can move on to other things.

Thanks for the input -=-

Was hdcXX (14) in this case?

Logandros
05-18-2003, 01:44 AM
That number changes depending on the size of the hard drive. I used 14 in some cases and 16 in others .. all went without a hitch!

Bomber
05-18-2003, 02:37 AM
hdc14 would be used if the original tivo (40GB) drive was the one being restored, then when using the -s 127 -xzpi commands would expand the drive. My question to you is if the last partition being hdc16, then we would have to edit our bootpage hdc16 as well. Is this correct?

Logandros
05-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, but that is all initially pointed out in all the How to hack the HDVR2. You usually must change your bootpage when using an image from another drive that is unequal in size.

Bomber
05-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Up and running. The bootpage edit was one of the hardest things to do. I have been doing everything with the dam floppy boot disk. I finally burned the cd and things work so much easier.

2old2play
05-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Nice work everyone, thanks for all the info. Someone should stick this for the others.

2old2play
08-08-2003, 11:37 PM
guess not

mrblack51
08-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by 2old2play
guess not

if every thread gets sticked, then we will end up with so many stickies that it will fill the screen, and it will cause people no to read them.

if you think this is valuable info, how about adding it to the faq

eh, nobody added it to the faq...so i did.