PDA

View Full Version : Recent DTivo Series 2 Hacking Questions an Experiances

gunmetalblues
05-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi All,
Well, I think I'm finally starting to get it... Having gone back and re-read MrBLacks thread and the original Tivo Community thread... I just have a few observations and a couple of questions. One observation is the that the MFSTools disc ( 2.0) would not boot properly when I had Serial ATA and/or my scsi card enabled. I had to disable both of these to boot properly from the cd... No big deal, but I thought it might be relevant to someone...
So after booting from the CD, I "mfsrestored" the U5 image file... Then proceded to to try to get the bash hack working... Here are the questions I have :

1. I have not put the drive back into the tivo yet, but from tools on the cd, it sayas it has 39 hours of recording time... It is a 120 gig drive, will this get updated when the tivo does a full reset? Or did I do something wrong?

2. What is the favored USB 2 Ethernet adapter. I've read the list, but what one do you guys think is the best?

3. I use my second 120 gig drive to set up a series of fat32 partitions ( 34 gig limit is a pain ) anyway, Is there a verison ( flavor ) of linux that I could install to boot from ( instead of the cd ) ?

4. If I wanted to take a stab at doing some developement, can I do so with Microsoft's Enterprise C compiler?

Thanks, sorry for all the newbie questions... I'm hoping to contribute in the future...

alldeadhomiez
05-13-2003, 12:49 PM
1) You probably forgot the -x option to mfsrestore. Maybe tivomad can help now.

3) Huh?

4) Only if it generates big endian MIPS ELF binaries that link against glibc-2.2.3. Otherwise I'd recommend the gcc cross compiler setup from tivo.archaic-apples.com.

tivosohn
05-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Your Tivo will only not see your extra spaces. You will need to do a "mfsadd -x /dev/hdX" at the prompt. The "X" is the where you mounted your Tivo drive.

gunmetalblues
05-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks ! That's very helpful... My second question, which was not very clear was : Is there a way I can install a version of linux on my pc so that I can boot from that instead of the cd ?

thanks for taking the time

mrblack51
05-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by gunmetalblues
Thanks ! That's very helpful... My second question, which was not very clear was : Is there a way I can install a version of linux on my pc so that I can boot from that instead of the cd ?

thanks for taking the time

there are hundreds of linux distrobutions for use on the hard disk: debian, suse, redhat, mandrake, etc.

tinman
05-15-2003, 11:43 PM
MrB--I know you're more knowledgeable about this than I am but I think the question he's asking about installing Linux on a HDD is whether, after he's done so, he'll be able to mount and "see" his TIVO drive.

I believe you answered that question here:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23737

I may be wrong, however, and if so, I'll stand corrected.