PDA

View Full Version : Old (Non-VBR) Videos => extract Corrupt

VideoJedi
05-13-2003, 05:34 PM
I started a thread asking my question and then realized it wasn't specific enough to maybe explain my problem, so I am trying again.

I am able to extract videos fine using the process described on this webpage, but only for videos recorded after VBR was an option for TiVoing:

http://tipster.stormrad.com/tivo/extraction.html

For some reason the newer videos extract fine and dandy. I choose to multiplex on the rip and get an mpa (deletable) and m2v file with no problem. When I try to extract the 2+ year old recordings that I really want off my TiVo (before VBR) the same multiplex extract operation appears to be processing the extraction, but I wind-up with a smallish 7k or so m2v and a 0k mpa. I tried to simply extract the TY file of these shows and that works fine, but I can't split it into audio/video files. When I try to split using vsplit13.exe I get an error message like this:

G:\TiVo>vsplit13 -s wh.ty wh.m2v wh.mpa
Processing 'wh.ty': (10 chunks per tick)
Jumping 1 chunks into input (131072 total bytes)
Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

To me it seems the older recordings were recorded differently on the TiVo, so the tools won't work on the files. What am I doing wrong? What's a chunk? Any suggestions on how to get playable mpgs from these 2+ year old recordings (other than keeping them on the TiVo perpetually and playing them there). Any help would be appreciated.

I dunno if this is worth mentioning, but my TiVo is plugged up through Turbonet on a 10-mip hub (kinda slow at extracting). The collision light on the HUB goes nuts during extraction (I should really get a switch instead). Could the slower/less intelligent hub be corrupting older recordings?

MrBassMan
05-13-2003, 05:53 PM
You are right - series 1 Tivos used a different coding for the ty stream.

To save you some time trying, tystudio does not support series 1 Tivo recordings either. I do not know about other tools.

AlphaWolf
05-13-2003, 06:29 PM
If you are refering specificaly to version 1.X of SA series 1 units, olaf actualy did support those videos until just prior to merging tydemux into being part of the greater whole, tystudio. (e.g. after 0.4.2, but before 0.5.0) After which, he removed it. You might try checking out the CVS repository from a date somewhere in february of this year, and if it compiles, it might support your videos.

VideoJedi
05-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Shoot! Any chance of a win32 binary laying around that can help me out? I suppose I could try something in Linux, but at this stage it feels risky to me as I don't want to screwup my TiVo. So are the TY files from the old shows I extracted ok after the extraction? I just need a tool old enough that supports them?

AlphaWolf
05-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Extremely unlikely that there is a binary, since this code base was never released in compiled form. You are just going to have to check out the CVS repository at specific dates (remember, all version changes are kept since the beginning), compile, and test, until you find a build date that is successful.

VideoJedi
05-13-2003, 11:19 PM
I have a stupid question.. where is the CVS repository? Is it like an FTP?