PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DUB-E100 or Linksys USB200M on an HDVR2

zeppelin77
05-13-2003, 07:36 PM
I checked the compatibility list on http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivoknowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm#OtherWireless and it shows support for both (don't know if it applies to HDVR2 and software U5). But I've seen mentioned in this forum and tivocommunity (site is down currently) that there are compatability issues.
I have bash working on a U5 system. I've done the insmod in the hackinit and from bash prompt. Lights on either adapter never turn on.
Meanwhile, I ordered a compex usb adapter which I hope will work.
ifconfig only shows the loopback settings (lo).

Can anyone confirm if either of these adapters work on a U5 HDVR2? If so, is there any trick. Thanks.

here's my hackinit

#!/bin/bash
date>>/var/hack/hackinit.log
PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.
TIVO_ROOT=
MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
IGNOREEOF=1000
export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF

/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

insmod /diag/usbcore.o
insmod /diag/usb-ohci.o
sleep 10
insmod /diag/pegasus.o
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
tivoftpd

mount -o remount,rw /

# replace rc.sysinit with modified copy
rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
cp /var/hack/rc.sysinit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

KRavEN
05-14-2003, 01:09 PM
look at your logs in /var/log/ and see whats going wrong.

alldeadhomiez
05-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Tivo's ax8817x module from the 4.0 kernel source tarball works for me on the DUB-E100. If you want to compile it yourself you might have to tweak some stuff (like supplying it with a copy of mii.h).

I attached my build of ax8817x.o; if it breaks you can keep both pieces. Note that you won't get USB 2.0 performance levels until somebody builds the ehci-hcd (?) module for the tivo, because they didn't even start merging 2.0 support into the kernel until around 2.4.19. My transfer rates max out at about 800 kbytes/sec on a 100BaseTX full duplex connection. But hey, at least I can use all of the cheap-after-rebate DUB-E100's I've been accumulating. :)

Good luck if you want wireless; I have not gotten anything to work with my WUSB11. The drivers don't appear to be in the 4.0 sources, even though it's on the top of the "supported" list. I will probably need to get my box chipped and install a kernel debugger to troubleshoot it further.

Edit: Ignore all of this stuff and look at this thread instead:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24626

zeppelin77
05-15-2003, 05:29 PM
It appears that both nics and the netgear FA120 use the Asix's AX88172 chipset, according this this website http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/pc98/support.html

I'll post results when I have them.

citivolus
05-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by alldeadhomiez
Note that you won't get USB 2.0 performance levels until somebody builds the ehci-hcd (?) module for the tivo, because they didn't even start merging 2.0 support into the kernel until around 2.4.19.
how difficult would it be to build an ehci-hcd module for the tivo to accomplish this? Do you simply need a MIPS-cross compiler and source to build ehci-hcd.o, then insmod it? I'm dying to get USB 2.0 transfer rates out of my HDVR2 so I can enjoy streaming video from my tivo using mplayer.

alldeadhomiez
05-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by citivolus
how difficult would it be to build an ehci-hcd module for the tivo to accomplish this? Do you simply need a MIPS-cross compiler and source to build ehci-hcd.o, then insmod it? I'm dying to get USB 2.0 transfer rates out of my HDVR2 so I can enjoy streaming video from my tivo using mplayer.

No, you need to backport the module (at least with the versions I've seen). Newer kernels have some different interfaces, such as "completions," which would need to be replaced with the more traditional semaphores and such to run correctly on 2.4.4.

I've attached a sample Makefile to get you started. The modules referenced in there are all works in progress; most of that stuff doesn't actually run on the Tivo yet for various reasons (horrendous driver programming being the foremost one). Don't forget to make menuconfig before you start (or even build the whole kernel for practice), and never ever mix and match usb modules compiled against different headers - you will panic your kernel.

zeppelin77
05-16-2003, 08:40 PM
great news! ax8817x.o works on both usb200m and dub-e100!
I insmod usbcore, usb-ohci, ax8817x from bash and then ifconfig, tnlited and tivoftpd
everything works!
Thanks alldeadhomiez.
now I don't need serial to hack.

citivolus
05-17-2003, 12:20 AM
that is great news. what speed are you seeing with the Linksys USB200M?

It seems that back-porting the ehci-hcd module is over my head, so I'll have to hope (and pray) someone more knowledgeable picks up the thread.

alldeadhomiez
05-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by citivolus
that is great news. what speed are you seeing with the Linksys USB200M?

It seems that back-porting the ehci-hcd module is over my head, so I'll have to hope (and pray) someone more knowledgeable picks up the thread.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The best way to start learning about this stuff is to set up a test PC (preferably with a 2.4.4 kernel), patch your kernel with kdb (from oss.sgi.com), and start recompiling stuff. Google for Rusty's unreliable guide to kernel hacking to learn about the synchronization primitives in Linux, and read the documentation from the kernel source tarball.

tivosohn
06-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Alldeadhomiez,

I put the file in the ax8817x-244.zip and when I plug in the usb200M adapter, my HDVR2 goes into a infinite loops of rebooting the machine. When I unplug the adapter, it boots up fine. Any suggestion on what had happened?

Thanks.