PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Legacy Series1 SA Video Extraction Thread

VideoJedi
05-13-2003, 11:34 PM
If you're like me and have ancient (2+) year old videos sitting on your TiVo series 1 SA unit and would like to extract them, please join in on this thread. I recently discovered the modern tools out there to extract don't work with the older recordings. In this thread I would like to discuss methods and techniques to manipulate these types of streams. Since I am a newbie, any help is appreciated.

First thing to do is look in the CVS repository, find some useful older code and hopefully successfully compile it to help us out (though I am pretty infantile on compiling programs and could use a hand).

FreydNot
05-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Whats the problem? I believe TyDemux version 3.x and 4.x will decode SA version 1.x and 2.0 streams just fine.

Are you having problems extracting the ty files or converting the ty into mpeg?

VideoJedi
05-14-2003, 01:28 AM
No problems extracting the SA 1.x stream TY files.. it is the converting to mpeg giving me problems. I will try TyDemux and hopefully my next post will be a request to delete this thead. :)

VideoJedi
05-14-2003, 01:39 AM
I tried tydemux and still got 0-byte mpegs. It looked like it was working:

G:\TiVo>tydemux -t2 -i wh.ty -a wh.m2v -v wh.mpa
......... 100......... 200......... 300......... 400......... 500
......... 600......... 700......... 800......... 900......... 1000
......... 1100......... 1200......... 1300......... 1400......... 1500
......... 1600......... 1700......... 1800......... 1900......... 2000
......... 2100......... 2200......... 2300......... 2400......... 2500
......... 2600......... 2700......... 2800......... 2900......... 3000
......... 3100......... 3200......... 3300......... 3400......... 3500
......... 3600......... 3700......... 3800......... 3900......... 4000
......... 4100......... 4200......... 4300......... 4400......... 4500
......... 4600......... 4700......... 4800......... 4900......... 5000
......... 5100......... 5200......... 5300......... 5400......... 5500
......... 5600......... 5700......... 5800......... 5900......... 6000

Perhaps the version of tydemux I found in this forum was either too old or too new? Can you post some links to the 3.x and 4.x versions? Thanks!

RxMan
05-14-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure there is a solution for shows recorded without the noscramble mod.

el jefe
05-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
I'm not sure there is a solution for shows recorded without the noscramble mod.

SA TiVo doesn't scramble, so this isn't an issue..

Originally posted by VideoJedi
No problems extracting the SA 1.x stream TY files.. it is the converting to mpeg giving me problems. I will try TyDemux and hopefully my next post will be a request to delete this thead. :)

Streams below 2.0 are not supported by newer version of tyDemux, and I have tried to extract some old 1.3 (and maybe 1.2.1?) streams unsuccessfully with the older version of tyDemux that is supposed to work (if you try the newest version it will tell you which version to use for older streams, I think it's 0.4.2).

You should be running it like this for pre 2.0 streams:
tydemux -s 1 -i infile -a outfile_audio -v outfile_video

I remember I looked at it and saw where in the code it was failing for me, but never pursued it any further to find out how to fix it, etc.
Let me know if this version works for you, I'm not sure if mine isn't working because of something specific to me or something that can be fixed.

By the way, if you don't have that version of tyDemux you can get it here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=73603&highlight=0.4.2#post73603

Fugg
05-14-2003, 01:23 PM
have you tried the old, reliable vsplitmux2c?

vsplitmux2c wh.ty wh.m2v wh.mpa

then mux using the old, reliable mplex

mplex -f 8 -o wh.mpg wh.m2v wh.mpa

Good Luck!

Fugg
also old and reliable, except during naps
;)

el jefe
05-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
have you tried the old, reliable vsplitmux2c?

vsplitmux2c wh.ty wh.m2v wh.mpa

then mux using the old, reliable mplex

mplex -f 8 -o wh.mpg wh.m2v wh.mpa

Good Luck!

Fugg
also old and reliable, except during naps
;)

I don't think jdiner's tools work with pre 2.0 streams as he didn't think it'd be worth the time since they are so rare.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14749

Fugg
05-14-2003, 02:12 PM
woops! missed that one!

I found another jdiner mention of a 1.3 stream
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=63927&highlight=vsplit+1.3#post63927

Wow. Someone just sent me a 1.3 clip that VSplit couldn't do anything with. And now I know why. The constructs I have been using for 2.5 and up are just not there in the old streams. Nothing is as "it should be"... Wild. With the lack of PTS values I am amazed much of anything worked...
--jdiner

for some reason, I thought the newer vsplits worked on old files.

oh, well, if that does'nt work, I guess it's time to take a trip in the way-back machine....:)

You can try the old TyConvert program:
http://www.armory.com/~charlie/TyConvert/TyConvert.html

it should at least be able to give you the elementals.

once again,

Good Luck!

VideoJedi
05-14-2003, 02:15 PM
I tried 0.4.2 and here is the result:

G:\TiVo>tydemux -s 1 -i wh.ty -a wh.mpa -v wh.m2v |more
Probing TyStream .....

Tystream recorded on:
SA Tivo Series 1
Software rev 1.3

Tystream recoding audio stats:
MPEG Layer II audio
Average tyrecord (audio) size: 864
Audio frame size: 864
Audio frame time: 3240 (ticks)

Tystream recoding video stats:
Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec

Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
Skipping to chunk 1 - reseting chunk numbering

Starting demux process
......... 100......... 200......... 300......... 400.Init of Tystream
ild!!
Init of Tystream faild!! This message alot of times

Eventually the result is:

Init of Tystream faild!! 1 chunk(s) in a row skiped
Init of Tystream faild!! 2 chunk(s) in a row skiped

Demux process finished

A/V Sync Offset: 0ms (The -O option is not needed in mplex)
Return value 0

I am not sure what to do. I don't see what version of tydemux I should be using. :( If worst comes to worst I will have to cap these shows via my Pinnacle DC10+, but would prefer to have the digital source material in a workable format.

el jefe
05-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by VideoJedi

Starting demux process
......... 100......... 200......... 300......... 400.Init of Tystream
ild!!
Init of Tystream faild!! This message alot of times

Eventually the result is:

Init of Tystream faild!! 1 chunk(s) in a row skiped
Init of Tystream faild!! 2 chunk(s) in a row skiped

Demux process finished

A/V Sync Offset: 0ms (The -O option is not needed in mplex)
Return value 0

This is the same problem I had, and it also seems to use up all memory on the PC when it does it. Maybe we can look at it and figure out what the problem is, maybe it's just something that's special for 1.3 and tyDemux is looking for 2.0 data. I don't really know how the program works, but I do remember I was able to determine what it was looking for and not finding that caused this error. I was going to ask Olaf about it, but this was when tyStudio was first released and he was pretty busy so I didn't bother. When I get a chance I'll look again and post the what the exact problem was and what routine it was in, and maybe one of us with ancient streams can figure out what should be there and get it working.

FreydNot
05-15-2003, 01:29 AM
TyDemux 0.3.x can be found starting in the second message in this thread: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20056

el jefe
05-15-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by FreydNot
TyDemux 0.3.x can be found starting in the second message in this thread: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20056

Well, I just did a short clip and that seems to have worked. I wonder why I never tried this version before? Or maybe I did and had sync issues, I don't remember. Anyway, I think I'll try a few streams and see what's up with it, thanks.

VideoJedi
05-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Fantastic! It worked for me too! Of course I am using a terminal connection at the moment, so I cannot expect to mux and play them back from this remote connection, but I didn't get 0-byte files this time. It appears to have worked. Can't wait to check the a/v files I converted out from the Ty file to confirm success. :D

For reference (and for anyone that may come into this thread exclusively for working with legacy recordings), Here's the direct link to the tydemux you need:

tydemux_w_0.3.0.zip (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=73603)

el jefe
05-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Ok, I must have tried that version before and had sync problems, because I tried a few more files and it was way out of sync. Maybe something was fixed in 0.4.2 that took care of this, but something else seems to have broken. If I can tell why there's no error in 0.30 and there is in 0.4.2 maybe I can change it, but it's very doubtful I'll be able to tell anything as my knowlege level is very low on these things. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

VideoJedi
05-30-2003, 11:08 AM
I have one old 1.3 recording that won't tydemux. It says:

"TyStream is to small to demux"
"We need at least 40 chunks"

This is the largest file I have extracted from my TiVo yet (2+GB). I tried the tydemux on an NTFS partition thinking maybe that was the problem, but nope. Is this vid corrupt.I extracted it again as a tystream just to be sure and got the same result. Any ideas?

The_Cable_Guy
07-30-2003, 06:49 AM
"VideoJedi",

Any luck yet getting your 1.3 streams muxed to a .mpg file?

I have two I'm trying to save. I can demux them into separate video and audio files all day long, and can even mux them back together to a MPEG-II file , but the audio lags the video about 1.2 seconds.

Anybody know of a mux with an adjustable time delay??

TCG.

VideoJedi
07-30-2003, 08:36 AM
I got all, but one of the 1.3 streams extracted and converted into a playable mpg. The recording was made a few years ago and there doesn't appear to be any tools that know how to handle it. I think you can try to guess the audio offset and use MPEGVCR to put in that offset and then mux the two together to get it in sync.

The_Cable_Guy
07-30-2003, 02:51 PM
"VideoJedi",

Thanks for your response. Like you, I had several programs that I recorded with a Sony SA at the end of 2000 that are rev. 1.3 streams, and none of the newer tools would even recognize the files. I kept them stored long enough that I really wanted to put them on a DVD, in case something ever happens to my drive. They even survived several drive upgrades, and a moderate amount of hacking.

I've spent the last several hours really tweaking the files (thank God they're digital) and have got some real clean and compliant MPEG-II files that went right on a DVD.

For what it's worth to others that might follow here's what I did...

1) Extracted the streams using Jdiner's "TyTool7r7" (Tytool5 works too) and got good .ty files.

2) Then demuxed the files using Olaf Beck's "TyDemux 0.3.1". This was the the only program that worked, and it worked EXTREMELY well (Olaf, you're the MAN!!). Making sure I noting the video/audio delay at the end of execution.

3) I then used "TyMplex 2.0.0" from the latest "TyStudio 0.5.0" package to remux the two streams and compensate for the 1.2 second audio delay I had. "tymplex -v 1 -f 3 -O 1263* -o <video> <audio>" (*=delay I had in ms, as reported in step 2). After it was muxed, I played them back and the two streams matched perfectly!!

4) To get rid of the green bar on the left of the frame and all the closed captioning noise on top, I used the wizard in "TMPGEnc Plus 2.52". Since I wanted to burn the file to DVD, I also chose to transcode the audio from 192kbps/32kHz to 384kbps/48kHz.

I used "best quality" to record the original programs so at 3/4 res and 6 Mbps, the final product looks pretty damn good!!

Oh well, I didn't think I would get this far with it, but it was well worth the experimentation!!!

TCG

swagmode
12-11-2003, 10:53 PM
Cable Guy-

I have tried your suggestion and I finally got my streams over from my Philips 1.3 sa box using TyDemux.

But--I am unable to get the audio and video to sync properly. TyDemux reports -1299 delay but that or any other number I try using TyMplex doesn't make much difference. I'm at a loss what to do. THe audio is always late by a second or less. So Close!

BTW, I don't know if this makes a difference, but even though the streams are on a 1.3 box, they were recorded well after 3.0 was out, so they aren't technically old streams, but I could never get anything to work until TyDemux as far as getting the files.

Any ideas?

Thanks