PDA

View Full Version : Video Quality

kildurin
05-16-2003, 12:04 AM
I am having trouble converting to DVD. When I run typrocess or TMPGenc to convert my videos, the resulting MPEG's are very blurry and have smears around the edges. This is especially noticeable when characters move. Is there any way to create sharp, clear images? I record everything best quality. Any help or hints are appreciated. I use showbiz to burn them to DVD.

kildurin
05-16-2003, 12:05 AM
I did not mean they were exceptionally blurry but noticibly blurry.

Pete Ruttman
05-16-2003, 07:54 AM
Have you burned the video to dvd and played in a real dvd player? Perhaps your blur is related to your computer hardware. I see blur sometimes while playing mpegs on my computer when I am running high cpu but the resulting dvds created with tystudio and dvd workshop look the same as the tivo output.

pete

captain_video
05-16-2003, 08:06 AM
SA Tivos introduce a certain amount of noise and undesirable artifacts into the video due to the extra processing steps involved when recording from an analog source. It's still far better than any consumer grade VCR, including S-VHS. If you're really concerned about image quality then I would recommend getting a DirecTivo. A DTivo records the digital stream directly and doesn't have to do any conversion except during playback. When recording DTV on a SA Tivo, the DTV receiver has to convert the signal to analog and the Tivo has to convert it back to digital for recording to the hard drive. The video suffers noticeably as a result of the extra conversions. A DTivo will blow away a SA Tivo as far as image quality any day of the week.

kildurin
05-16-2003, 11:05 PM
The problem is very noticeable on both mpeg playback and on DVD playback. I do have an SA Tivo and I have cable TV so DTV is a no go. I am not looking for quality better than direct playback from the tivo. Here are my scripts. Perhaps I am processing wrong?

typrocess -i "c:\tivo\The Sports Pages-.ty" -o c:\tivo\sports.mpg -mplex { -f 8 } -demux { -c "c:\tivo\The Sports Pages-.cut" } -tcode { -s 48000 -a }

Thanks for the replies and advice