PDA

View Full Version : lost bash when I change my Hackinit file

nitrous
05-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi guys,
I've narrowed my problems down somewhat. After doing the appropriate hacks on the series 2, I have a bash promt that is accessible by tera term. The hackinit is pretty basic.

I copied the dssapp.hu to /var/hack and called it dssapp (no extension). I also toke and put the information contained in the txt file into the hackinit file. I have dssapp in the /var/hack directory.

#!/bin/bash
date>>=/var/hack/hackinit.log
PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:.
/bin/bash </dev/ttyS2&> /dev/ttyS2&

mount -o remount,rw /
rm -rf /tvbin/dssapp
cp /var/hack/dssapp /tvbin/dssapp
chmod 777 /tvbin/dssapp

Now, before I added the stuff mount -o remount,rw / and beyond, I had a bash prompt. After I reboot with this new hackinit, I don't have a bash prompt anymore AND I still get the HU card is incompatible error. Any suggestions?

When I go to my PC, I no longer seem to have the var/hack directory. When I go and redo the ingineer post stuff, I have a bash prompt again.

Any suggestions?

Tnx

n|trous

alldeadhomiez
05-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Overwriting files on your "real" root partition is a surprisingly effective way to piss off the integrity checks in the initrd. That might not be causing your problem but personally I wouldn't do that to my box. You should either figure out a better solution, reflash your prom, or quit stealing TV.

nitrous
05-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback.

I won't go into my reasons for these hacks, since I notice you've already assessed that in advance.
I'm a bit suprised at your response though. You usally have a more measured reply. Maybe you're having a bad day.

Anyway, all said, that was not a very helpful reply.

n|trous

alldeadhomiez
05-18-2003, 09:30 PM
You may safely delete anything below the "bash" line in your hackinit if you are a legitimate DTV subscriber.

To make hacks persistent on my boxes, I create a new root partition and leave the original one there to make initrd happy. There are a lot of ways to do this but all of them that I have seen are fairly ugly because I haven't found a utility that handles disklabels on the TiVo properly - pdisk is the closest I've come to a solution and it still requires some hex editing.

nitrous
05-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I have limited knowledge about linux. I'm learning, but at a slow rate.
I'm in the unenviable position of not being having access to DTV by subscription. This is not uncommon in the posts that I have seen on dealdatabase. Thus, the HU card is my solution at the present time.

Interestingly, the boot299.btl has been well publisized for the series I TiVo's. The goal and purpose is the same. I have both. I would like to make the HDVR2 work as well...

Again,

Thanks for the second response. It was much more on point and in keeping with your other responses.

n|trous

alldeadhomiez
05-18-2003, 09:50 PM
FYI, mfstools has the ability (through several of its options) to add or resize partitions while it is restoring. If you happen to find the source code for mfstools 2.0, it would be easy to add another option that lets it create an extra partition with a user-specified size for hacking purposes.

I have not looked for the source code but if you happen upon it, PM me and I will add the necessary functionality. (This would also remove the need for that nasty romfs kludge.)

Michigan1
05-19-2003, 08:11 AM
What version of image are you using?

(Never over look the obvious!!!!!!!!!!)

nitrous
05-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the reply.
The version is the 3.1U5 version that allows BASH_ENV hack.
This works fine until I change my basic hackinit to include dssapp being copied over to allow HU use.

When I go back to my PC, the hack directory seems cleared out and if I reinstall that, and the hackinit file, it works fine again.

Any suggestions?
n|trous

Logandros
05-20-2003, 08:38 AM
Simple ... do it manually. Follow the instructions and make your own edits. Never trust those type of files that you have downloaded. I can reccommend 2 programs that I have tested and are known to work to get this particular job done.

Ultraedit

CRT 4.0
or any terminal program.

Pay special attention to file size after you re-send your edited file. It should be exactly the same as the original. Be sure you are editing a virgin version of the file. Do these things and your problems will go away. ((In my experience))

2old2play
05-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Are you editing your hackinit while in bash, or are you over writing it?

nitrous
05-25-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm overwriting it using Editeur 4.x and copying it over via bash.
n|trous

2old2play
05-25-2003, 11:32 AM
ok, that is ususally the reason. The TiVo seems to hate it when you do that. Your going to have to restore bash and when you edit it just use the cat >hackinit command while in bash. Then you can just copy and past. This is the sure fire way of making sure it will work.