PDA

View Full Version : HDVR2 Record Capacity Left?

tivosohn
05-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Is there anyway to find out how much more recording capacity left on the HDVR2 unit? I couldn't seems to find any indicator in the menu tells me that.

Is there a way to do that or any tools we can add to it?

alldeadhomiez
05-19-2003, 06:14 PM
I believe the get_space.c support utility from tivoweb-1.9.4b5 will do what you need. Unfortunately I don't recall how to patch it to eliminate the sys_readsectors() call (which IIRC is not part of the 2.4.4 MIPS kernel). Please post your experiences here if you get it working.

tivosohn
06-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I tried the "get_space" and all it gave me was 4 numbers. And the number doesn't change during the recording. Is that the only thing we have for checking the capacity left for recording? Or is there any other way I can try to check for the number of drive space or average hours I can still record?

alldeadhomiez
06-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by tivosohn
I tried the "get_space" and all it gave me was 4 numbers. And the number doesn't change during the recording. Is that the only thing we have for checking the capacity left for recording? Or is there any other way I can try to check for the number of drive space or average hours I can still record?

Sounds like that's what you want. Look in the tivoweb source to see how the output is parsed.

I am definitely not an MFS expert but I think chunks are preallocated, often 512MB at a time. That would imply that the free space numbers will not change very often during a recording.

tivosohn
06-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Ahh....I see. I will check out the TivoWeb source.

Thanks.:)