PDA

View Full Version : TyTool problem

DiGNAN17
05-19-2003, 08:23 PM
For some reason, I'm not getting complete videos from Tytool. It seems like I'm getting the first 2 minutes of every program I try to download. What's more, it takes FOREVER to get those two minutes! I think it took about an hour and a half to download what I thought was a 30 minute episode, and it turned out to just be the first 2 minutes!

What could be going on here? The Windows GUI doesn't seem to say anything is wrong, either.

SR712
05-19-2003, 08:45 PM
What unit do you have? Which OS? Which version TyTools and tserver? Which net adapter? and how is your net set up? Also, have you always had this problem with TyTools, or is this something new? Sorry for all the questions, but in order for anyone to help you, some of this is necessary to troubleshoot. :)

DiGNAN17
05-19-2003, 11:44 PM
I understand. I really should have given those details.

Series 1 Tivo
I assume 3.0 software
I followed every step in the newbie hacking guide (http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/newbie.html) to nothing but success
Then I followed this (http://tipster.stormrad.com/tivo/extraction.html) guide to install Tytools

As for my network, the pertinent machines are wireless, so that may be a problem. I've got a wireless router. My PC is using a wireless network adapter. My Tivo is connected to a wireless bridge.

Looking at other posts related to this topic, I see that activity on the Tivo can cause problems. However, my Tivo wasn't even connected to a video source at the time, and it wasn't recording anything, and it wasn't playing anything. Plus, TyTools thought the recording came off okay!

Is there any more info you need?

Fugg
05-20-2003, 07:32 AM
"My PC is using a wireless network adapter. My Tivo is connected to a wireless bridge."

Do you have/can you get a regular network adaptor in your computer? If you do, try to connect your tivo to your computer via a wired connection using just a crossover cable and try again.

This will let you know if the problem is on the tivo/computer or with the wireless setup.

DiGNAN17
05-20-2003, 08:10 AM
I would do that, but I couldn't find a way to access the Tivo when connected like that. I couldn't get an address for it.

Fugg
05-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Can you find your tivo's ip address while it's hooked to the wireless network?

Let the tivo boot while connected to your wireless network.

Get your tivo's ip address. (however you do it now.)

Disconnect the cable comming from the tivo that is going to the wireless bridge. DO NOT reboot the tivo after finding it's ip address and disconnecting from the wireless bridge.

Connect a crossover cable from the tivo to your computer.

Ping the ip address of your tivo to verify the connection.

Telnet to the tivo and start tserver.

Run tytool to see if it works better.

DiGNAN17
05-20-2003, 10:58 AM
I can try that. I'll see about it when I get home.

Last night I tried uninstalling TyTools and installing TyStudio to see if the way it does it is better. I tried the option of downloading the .ty file first before editing, and it got the whole video! Unfortunately, it still took a very long time.

I'll try your idea tonight.

BubbleLamp
05-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DiGNAN17
I tried the option of downloading the .ty file first before editing, and it got the whole video! Unfortunately, it still took a very long time.

That's because you are on wireless! I wish people would realize that the throughput on 802.11b is the shitz, and will always be dead slow for extraction.

giancarlo
05-20-2003, 05:55 PM
I have a similar setup and I had similar problems. My TiVo needs to be wireless - it's not anywhere near a network connection and I really don't feel like stringing cable. I have a desktop computer which is physically wired to my rounter, along with a laptop (much more powerful than my desktop) that I use for most of my TiVo apps.

When I tried Tytool wireless TiVo to laptop, my throughput was abysmal. Not a great surprise, given that that the signal was actually travelling Tivo -> Wireless Router -> Laptop. Now, I use the desktop machine for downloads, with an external firewire drive attached. I usually run massive download jobs overnight, or during the day when I'm at work. I then connect the firewire disk to my laptop and mux away.

You might want to physically wire your desktop to the router if possible and then try. If you're forced to go wireless/wireless, you may even consider doing it as an ad-hoc network (two clients, no router in the middle). This might double your effective throughput and minimize packet collisions.

artships
05-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by DiGNAN17
I would do that, but I couldn't find a way to access the Tivo when connected like that. I couldn't get an address for it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54666&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Go down to Jupper's post. THis is what I've done to my Sony 2K.

Fugg
05-21-2003, 01:48 PM
excellent link, artships.
just in case of searches and avs's downtime plagues:

from a post by Juppers @ avs
To assign a static IP, find this section in rc.arch

if /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/tivone.o ; then
# A crystalline bridge now spans the fissure.
echo "Card found"
export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0
return 0

or for turbonet users,

if /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=$SerialNumber ; then
echo "Card found"
return 0

and change it as follows,

if /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/tivone.o ; then
# A crystalline bridge now spans the fissure.
echo "Card found"
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up ;
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 ;
return 1

or for turbonet users,

if /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=$SerialNumber ; then
echo "Card found"
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up ;
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 ;
return 1

This will not give bash or anything, this will just give you a static IP if you don't have, or would rather not run a DHCP server. The end of rc.net looks like a real good place to start up bash and other things you may want to run on boot. Hope this helps.

DiGNAN17
05-21-2003, 05:16 PM
I think I may be in the clear now. After uninstalling the lone TyTools package, I installed TyStudio and have been mainly downloading .ty files to my hard drive. So far I seem to be getting the complete files. Each 30 minute show is about 500MB, and it only takes about an hour for the file to download. Not bad over wireless! I think the problem before may have been trying to process the file while downloading at the same time.

I'll try making a DVD tonight and let you know how it works. Thanks for all your help, guys!

AlphaWolf
05-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Tystudio should get you better wireless speeds, it doesn't seem to trigger the MTU bug as much as tytool does.

DiGNAN17
05-21-2003, 05:36 PM
It's a great program, but I had a problem. I tried creating the DVD file, and got the error:

Processing failed - see the editor log for more information.
Last message was:
ERROR: transcode:
ERROR: Decode Ran out of input bytes

I played the file with PowerDVD, and it seemed fine until the very end, which was missing about 10 seconds worth. What's the problem? was it because it was the second instance of TyStudio running at the time?

By the way, the conversion was quite faster than I expected! It only took about 1 minute to create the MPG. I'm pretty happy with this software!

hepsnark
02-15-2005, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=DiGNAN17]It's a great program,

Processing failed - see the editor log for more information.
Last message was:
ERROR: transcode:
ERROR: Decode Ran out of input bytes

hey, a newly hatched newbie here! turbonet added y'day!

tystudio is also bombing for me, same error message.
I saw no reply to DiGNAN17's post. anyone got a clue?

I will try rerunning with no cuts. an unrelated thread mentioned that the POSITION of the cut was causing an Error

TEN DAYS AND A WEALTH OF LEARNING LATER. ABANDONED TYSTUDIO FOR TYTOOLS. NOT FLAMING JUST TAKING THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE!