PDA

View Full Version : My Tivo's trashed!

Kelly
05-20-2003, 05:11 PM
My Tivo won't record anything now and I woke up to a black sreen this morning (Tivo was locked up) and found it didn't record anything overnight and I came home for lunch and it was black again (Locked up) and it had not recorded anything since I left this morning. UGH!!!

I'll do extended diags on the drives then write ones and zeros to them and the reimage. I'll give it another try. :-) (Before I give up...)

Kelly

Kelly
05-27-2003, 04:28 PM
I ran extended diags on both Tivo drives. Turns out my Drive B was going bad. I swapped it out an things are looking good! Tivo did reboot itself after three days. Now I'm at that 3 day period again just waiting to see if it will reboot of make it to day 4.

Kelly
05-28-2003, 04:40 AM
Well, It made it to 4 days and 2 hours and locked up. :-( Beats me!

I don't know if I want to invest any more money into this project. Would like to have the WD1200JB drives but not if I have lockups every 3 to 4 days.... Let's see how long it rund this time. Looks like I'll miss that great sale... :-(

Kelly

keith721
05-28-2003, 09:16 AM
There is a $4.50 direct replacement PSU available as surplus from allelectronics.com (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=480&item=PS-70&type=store) , and the TiVo PSU's have been known to go flaky. Search for threads in the other message boards here, and check the +5 VDC output voltage you're getting. It could be the source of your problem.

hope this helps... :)

Kelly
05-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by keith721
There is a $4.50 direct replacement PSU available as surplus from allelectronics.com (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=480&item=PS-70&type=store) , and the TiVo PSU's have been known to go flaky. Search for threads in the other message boards here, and check the +5 VDC output voltage you're getting. It could be the source of your problem.

hope this helps... :)

I did take a measurement while I swapped out the B drive. I had 5.13 VDC and 12.05 However, that doesn't tell me what it was just a split second before the reboot. I do have my Tivo on a UPS and the UPS seems to be functioning fine.

keith721
05-28-2003, 06:19 PM
my only other PSU guess might be what everyone else has seen - the switching circuit (board attaches vertically to the horizontal main board of the PSU) fails. since you're already running on a UPS, does it provide automatic voltage regulation (AVR) ?

i would guess that large sags and surges in the input power are the primary cause of PSU component failure :( and it sounds like you're already protected ;) against that.

Pete Ruttman
05-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Two things have locked up my tivo:

1) The phone settings module for tivoweb

2) The tystudio indexer when there are dozens of shows to index. Once it has completed all the indexes an occasional new one seems to be ok and the indexer will not take down the tivo.

Kelly
05-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by keith721
my only other PSU guess might be what everyone else has seen - the switching circuit (board attaches vertically to the horizontal main board of the PSU) fails. since you're already running on a UPS, does it provide automatic voltage regulation (AVR) ?

i would guess that large sags and surges in the input power are the primary cause of PSU component failure :( and it sounds like you're already protected ;) against that.

Forgot the thank you for the link, THANKS! That's a cheap price. I might get one just to keep on hand.

I believe my UPS provides AVR. I don't have the specs in front of me. I have 4 Triplite Internet Office 700 models around the house on my electronics. That seem to have smoothed out the voltage. We do have a bad power supplier where I live. :( I'll hear Them switch over to battery every once in a while when the lights flicker.

I'll just continue to watch the rebooting and lock ups until I can establish a pattern. I really can't provide much info for diags beyond the two reboots. I'm only at 19h 26m right now.

Thanks for the help!!

Kelly
05-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ruttman
Two things have locked up my tivo:

1) The phone settings module for tivoweb

2) The tystudio indexer when there are dozens of shows to index. Once it has completed all the indexes an occasional new one seems to be ok and the indexer will not take down the tivo.

Hm, The "phone settings module". That is something I have not played with. So by default it gave you trouble? What did you do to change it?

I thought it might be Tyserver or Tyindex but I just do see any link really. It could be but I can't watch the code run so I just can't say at this point in time. The 3 day lock up happened when everything was indexed. after running for 4 days all of the show were indexed and it was current on the task of indexing. Or so it seems!
I've been watching theindex atatus too. I'll keep

What should I do with the TivoWeb phone Module?

What can I do to Tyindex to help stop the lockups?

Kelly

Pete Ruttman
05-29-2003, 07:37 AM
1. I just removed it. I really wasn't too much value. I think I read about it causing problems on avsforum and so I just took it out of the picture.

2. If you are running tyindex then I would bet the bank that it is what is locking up your tivo. It took weeks and weeks for it to stabilize on my tivo. In fact, I am amazed that it stopped locking it up. It's my assumption that it doesn't lock anymore due to the indexing basically finishing but I would bet there were lockups when the indexing was completed except for the odd new show. There are problems with that module. I have told others with the lockups to just run it when then want to extract. I don't find the indexing useful anyway but you need it to get the now showing list to change, I believe.

pete

wadevb
05-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Kelly,
Not sure if it is of value, but I was having a similar situation. more and more frequent reboots/lockups/freezing.
Turns out my A drive was going bad. Well, during diagnostics, power up/down on the tivo, the power supply fuse poped. I replaced the fuse, and the power supply was dead.
I have always had it on a ups.

Personal unvalidated opinion... I think the power supply is/was somewhat overloaded, possibly being a factor with the drive failure.

I have since replaced my two drive 160Gig with a single 120Gig. I figure this should lower the temp for the hard drive, and lower the load on the PS.
So far, it have been up for 1week with no issues.

Kelly
05-30-2003, 10:18 PM
1. I just removed it. I really wasn't too much value. I think I read about it causing problems on avsforum and so I just took it out of the picture.

2. If you are running tyindex then I would bet the bank that it is what is locking up your tivo. It took weeks and weeks for it to stabilize on my tivo. In fact, I am amazed that it stopped locking it up. It's my assumption that it doesn't lock anymore due to the indexing basically finishing but I would bet there were lockups when the indexing was completed except for the odd new show. There are problems with that module. I have told others with the lockups to just run it when then want to extract. I don't find the indexing useful anyway but you need it to get the now showing list to change, I believe.

pete

Well, I'm back to daily lockups. I think I'll diag the drives again just to see what they report. Then I'll try removing the Tivoweb phone module and stop loading TyIndex and see how far I get. I saw the segment on TSS with Weaknees (sp?) and the subject of high temp and auto shut down were mentioned. I think I can eliminate that since I've had the case open and an 8" fan blowing on it. Temp has been running 21c for a week now. I haven't eliminated the possibilty of it being the power supply. Yet, I haven't fallen back into they boot loop again. So that is a possitive. :-)

Kelly
05-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by wadevb
Kelly,
Not sure if it is of value, but I was having a similar situation. more and more frequent reboots/lockups/freezing.
Turns out my A drive was going bad. Well, during diagnostics, power up/down on the tivo, the power supply fuse poped. I replaced the fuse, and the power supply was dead.
I have always had it on a ups.

Personal unvalidated opinion... I think the power supply is/was somewhat overloaded, possibly being a factor with the drive failure.

I have since replaced my two drive 160Gig with a single 120Gig. I figure this should lower the temp for the hard drive, and lower the load on the PS.
So far, it have been up for 1week with no issues.

Any little bit of info is helpful! I can go back to a single drive config and see what happens. That's a good suggestion. I wouldn't have a clue as to unmarry or divorce the two drives. I need to learn to read the log files. I think there is something in them that should shed a clue. However, I suspect what I am looking for is lost between the lockups and the reboot and it never makes it to the log file(s)....

Kelly
05-31-2003, 10:32 PM

2. If you are running tyindex then I would bet the bank that it is what is locking up your tivo.

pete

I decided to start with disabling TyIndex. However, I won't know for days if that did the trick. If I lockup between now and next weekend then I'll remove the phone module from Tivoweb. It's just a waiting game now....

Kelly
06-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Well, I removed TyIndex and Tivo ran for 3d 2h before locking up. This time I was entering a name into the wishlist. I did notice that the green light on the front of my SA2000 was not dimming per keypress like it usually does so the lock up affected that too. I'l run diags on the drives again.

Kelly
06-05-2003, 01:31 AM
I've got TyIndex running and the Tivoweb phone module removed. Tivo's been running for 1d 5h. and I hope for a lot longer. :-)