PDA

View Full Version : Dtivo loses audio

krewl1
05-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I have a non hacked legit dtivo that works fine for 15-20 minutes then it loses the audio. If I unplug it for awhile and plug it back in then it will work fine for another twenty minutes. I suspect a cold solder joint but do not know where to look on the main board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

captain_video
05-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Check the Experts forum. There's a schematic of a series 1 Sony DTivo there that you can download for troubleshooting. If yours is a series 1 unit then the schematic will be good for all makes.

krewl1
05-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Well after searching the schematics I found that the faulty part appears to be u4, which is a vlotage regulator part#mic5205bm5 , Anyone know where I could get that part?

krewl1
05-29-2003, 02:38 PM
I finally located the part at Newark . The part number is NEWARK INONE PART #: 12B1891. Just in case somebody else ends up having the same problem I had. I installed the part and all is well again. The schematics were a big help in locating the cause.

captain_video
05-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Glad to hear it.

milesb
11-29-2003, 06:54 PM
is it a hard fix? i have the same problem with the audio dying after a few minutes.
i'm not the greatest at electronics.

krewl1
12-04-2003, 02:47 PM
The part is small and is hard to resolder if you have not done alot of soldering. It took me awhile and a steady hand to make sure I did not screw it up. Pm me if you need more help to trouble shoot it.

milesb
12-07-2003, 05:03 PM
thank you for the reply. what does the part look like and where abouts is it located? i can have someone at school that is in electronics course do the soldering

krewl1
12-08-2003, 05:58 AM
if you have the cover off and you have the rear of the unit towards your body then the part is near the front of the receiver towards the center of the unit. The piece is very small and I bellieve it has five legs on it.

milesb
12-08-2003, 09:35 PM
hi, i've got the top off and i looked and i can't find anything with 5 legs on it. is it around the ribbon cable for the hard drive? what color is it and is there any writing on it? thanks

krewl1
12-09-2003, 12:16 AM
It is really small.You can barely mke out the legs. Look for u4 on the circuit board. If I have time tomorrow I will open up my tivo and take a pic for you.

milesb
12-09-2003, 02:43 AM
hi, i found a little chip beside U4, it is 1 and half inches from the back panel and is about the middle of the unit. its black with "LBAA" written on the top of it. does that sound familiar at all? boy is it small and you soldered that! my hats off to you sir.

krewl1
12-09-2003, 05:02 AM
I believe you have found it. Yes it is really small. Thats why I ordered two of them cause I was not sure if I could do it right. Easy way to test if its that is to buy a can of air at radio shack and turn it upside down. When audio cuts out spray the component and see if the audio returns. I also got the schematics and tested the voltage to confirm my suspicions. If that truly is the defective part then you could just order one and have a guy at a tv repair place put it in for you.

milesb
12-10-2003, 01:40 PM
hi, what are the spec's suppost to be when checking voltage? also if this turns out to be the part, where can i get a replacement?
thanks

krewl1
12-10-2003, 09:50 PM
i don't recall the voltages off hand. Search the experts forum for the schematics and that will help you with the voltages. I remembered that when the audio died the voltages would drop to almost nill. The part can be bought at newark electronics (www newark com)and i have posted the part # in the thread a few posts up.

milesb
12-10-2003, 10:20 PM
hi, i tried the unside down air can and hit it with some of the cool juice and bang, audio came back on. i guess that means that little part is the problem.

krewl1
12-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Good to hear that. I guess now is time to order your part. i ordered two (just in case) since it was cheap cause they bang you for shipping anyways.

milesb
12-11-2003, 02:07 AM
hi, your on a roll. i have another sony t-60 that has screwed up video. the audio is ok but the screen looks like a kalidascope. there is no part of a normal picture showing.

krewl1
12-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Unfortunately I have never had a tivo do that yet so I cannot guide you. It could be many problems(tuner etc..) but I would have to troubleshoot it to know what went wrong.