PDA

View Full Version : burning a dvd from tystudio produced mpeg

gawarner
05-21-2003, 04:00 PM
Is there an easy way to create a dvd-compliant .mpg file that can be authored and burned quickly?

I mean, a file can be quickly burned - a file that doesn't cause my authoring software (DVD Workshop or Neodvd or MYDVD, I have all three) to spend over an hour converting the video?

I have been using Tystudio Editor to load .ty files created by my DTivo SAT-T60....

I convert the Video to: DVD
I convert the Audio to : No transcoding

Still, when I try to author a DVD with this newly created .mpg file, it seems that it needs to be re-encoded by the burning program --and that takes forever!

Why? Isn't this .mpg file created by Tystudio Editor supposed to be dvd-compliant?

Wassup? Anybody?

itopia
05-21-2003, 06:52 PM
You might try DVD Author - Take elemental/No transcoding out of Tystudio - Patch to 720 and open in TMPGEnc DVD Author - cut out commercials - no sync problems - basic menus and output a VOB file - burn with Nero - quick and fast

Pete Ruttman
05-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Yep, the most important thing is that with dvd workshop you have to patch the first header to 720x480 with dvd patcher or it will not see the video as dvd compatible and will reencode.

I switched from dvd workshop to the tmpgenc dvd author which seems to have a faster interface but still requires the dvd patcher trick.

pete

nightowl007
05-21-2003, 10:58 PM
I pull the TY, output to DVD, no audio transcoding. Patch the header to 352x480, put it into DVD Author, output the VIDEO_TS folder, patch back to 480x480 and burn.

Works great.

2 hour movie takes about:

20 minutes to get an MPG
15 seconds to patch to 352x480
25-30 minutes to get to a VIDEO_TS from DVD Author
15 seconds to patch back to 480x480
30 minutes to burn

And, I can usually put two movies on a disk at 480x480.

YMMV, of course, but this works great for me.

gawarner
05-22-2003, 12:23 AM
This is the best thread ever! I am going to try all these approaches.

Keep 'em coming folks!!!

captain_video
05-22-2003, 07:54 AM
The fastest methods for creating DVDs are IFOEDit (no menus, iffy chapter stops, first play video only; multiple videos play back to back) and SpruceUp (menus, chapter stops & multiple videos accessed directly from a menu). Both of these programs accept the elemental streams from TyStudio/tydemux or TyTool/vsplit. IFOEdit requires that you patch the 1st header to 720X480 and import, compile, and burn. SpruceUp requires that you patch, import and create preview files, patch back to 480x480, create menus & chapter stops, compile, and burn.

If you don't need to edit out any portions of the video then either one of these programs will be way faster than using any of the mpeg-based authoring programs. I can generally author a movie in SpruceUp in only a few minutes. Patching and importing the video into SpruceUp takes about the same length of time as indexing the file in TyStudio or perhaps slightly longer.

Unless you really like the long processing time required when using DVDWorkshop or other similar programs, give SpruceUp a shot. One cution - SpruceUp is intolerant of GOP temporarl reference errors so you might want to use TyStudio/tydemux for splitting your ty files into elemental streams. Tydemux fixes most GOP temporal reference errors so they'll work in SpruceUp.

Pete Ruttman
05-22-2003, 09:50 AM
For my SA tivo files, TMPGENC DVD Author is by far the fastest for me. I have successfully made working DVDs from dvd workshop and spruce up as well. Spruce up seems to take forever to import the file and sometimes isn't happy with the files and dumps out. DVD workshop works fine and imports the files faster then spruce up but I can only import mpeg files not elementals if I do not want it to do any reencoding..you also need to patch the header as explained above. For me, TMPGENC is my new choice and hasn't failed me yet.

pete

gawarner
05-22-2003, 02:02 PM
I have so far tried the IFOEDIT method, using dvdpatch as instructed, then burn using Pinnacle Instant Copy. A one hour episode of SIX FEET UNDER took me about 50 minutes to complete. Yesterday -- before I consulted with you whiz kids -- it took about 3 hours!!!!!!! Much, much thanks!!!!

Of course, I have two questions:

1) Both IFOEDIt and DVDPATCH indicate that the bitrate of my .m2v video file is 15mb/s. IFOEDIT also states in its log file that:

"computed program mux rate exceeds dvd spec!"Is this kosher?

2) Another puzzling problem that I know you can solve :

I Dtivoed THE SOPRANOS which has a Dolby Digital audio track. . When I process it in Tyeditor (Video in: DVD, Audio in: no transcoding) and follow thru with the rest of the cooking, the resulting DVD's audio is way, way out of sync.

Solvable?