PDA

View Full Version : Standalone Series 2 Bash Shell

staring
05-21-2003, 05:50 PM
I've been lurking and reading. I wish to hack my standalone series 2 to get a Bash shell. Common knowledge seems to indicate this can be done 2 ways:

1) Get a hacked PROM (KRaVEN provides this service by mail order, easy to find by searching)

2) Get a 3.1 U5 (or earlier) image, which supports the BASH-ENV hack (which is a hack that does not require the PROM change).

I would like very much to try option 2, but despite searching, watching, and waiting in the forum, I have not found reference to a 3.1 U5 image for a standalone unit (you can however find an HDVR2 3.1U5 image fairly easily, since these units seem to be more popular hack targets)

So my question: Is there not a source for a BASH-ENV hackable S2 SA image? This seems like it would be a great addition to the resources available to the community at large -- or am I the only one who would like to hack his S2 SA without ripping apart the hardware??

Cheers
staring

mrblack51
05-21-2003, 08:05 PM
3.1.u5 is for the hdvr2 only. you need an image for an SA which is before 3.2.0. is there a sourse? probably, i havent seen one off hand though.

lnbfree
05-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Thats where I seem to be at this point. I have a 60 hr Stand alone unit I picked up used $60. (I think I stole that one!) I am using version 2.0.something. (I'm at work.) I'm not finding much on the bash_env hack other then thats what I need. This forum is very intertwined with both SA units and DTIVO units. As I read they use very different software and I'm a little afraid to load the wrong one and screw the pooch. I put a suggestion in the comments forum to split this forum into 2. One for SA hacks and one for DTIVO hacks. Staring if there is anything my 2.0.something you or anyone needs I can try to extract it (if I ever figure this out without blowing things up).