PDA

View Full Version : slow dl on 1 puter, but fast on another

Pro-289
05-24-2003, 03:27 AM
Has anyone seen this behavior? My puter I get around 55kB/s download when extracting from the dtivo with a turbonet card. Either using mfsstream or tyserver. But when I FTP to the dtivo, I can get the fastest available download, I think 1.5MB/s.

But when I use another puter on my network, using the same OS, XP, I can get the max download 1.5MB/s. What's up wid dat? Something with IE?

How come I can't use an external program to download a .TY file from tivoweb, like GetRight. The direct link it shows in IE doesn't seem to work in other programs.

John Silver
05-25-2003, 05:24 PM
Had the same problem. My laptop was doing about 1.2 and my desktop couldn't get over 400k.

Check your tcp/ip settings on the slow computer. Make sure you don't have a VPN client or any of the microsoft trash (network monitor, etc.) bound to it. Also, make sure Netbios is on. In general, tweak and try.

BubbleLamp
05-25-2003, 11:28 PM
There is some flakiness in the Tivo IP stack. Some folks seem to be more affected by it than others, and some apps more than others. If you are using TyTool, try the double socket method. Not sure if there is an equivilent command in TyStudio. I think Josh may have solved this for the next TyTool release based on some info I passed along to him.

jore
05-27-2003, 02:05 AM
It could be your ethernet card. I had the same problem, and the same fact was proposed to me. I replaced my ethernet card with one of the same manufacture and model, and the transfer speed shot up. Go figure...

Pro-289
06-07-2003, 12:45 AM
Well I now use tserver_mfs6 on the tivo from the TyTool7r2 tools on the same computer. And now I get 1.8mB transfer. After this, I then went back to the web interface using MFSStream to download a .TY and I got the same 55kB speed again. And still get 1.5mB from another computer using mfsstream.

So anyway, the tyserver fixed my problem for now, and I have disabled mfsstream.

AlphaWolf
06-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
There is some flakiness in the Tivo IP stack. Some folks seem to be more affected by it than others, and some apps more than others. If you are using TyTool, try the double socket method. Not sure if there is an equivilent command in TyStudio. I think Josh may have solved this for the next TyTool release based on some info I passed along to him.

Cool, what methods are you guys using to avoid it?

superscan
06-07-2003, 02:23 AM
I had a similar problem. One machine could use tytool6 with double socket mode and d/l's would fly. Any other machine couldn't use anything, downloads would never work.

I reloaded OS's, drivers, checked and swapped cables. I even performed line tests on the cables with a Fluke. Nothing.

Then a month ago, I changed my network layout (two switches using an uplink cable) and placed everything on a larger single switch. Viola! Problem solved.

I had even tested putting a new machine on the switch with the tivo and the "good" pc. Turns out the switch was going bad, only two good ports were for the tivo and the pc which could d/l fine.

I never thought to try everything on a different switch.