PDA

View Full Version : tystudio to DVD....audio AC3, Mp3, or no transcoding?

tards
05-24-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm using TMPG DVD author to edit and author DTivo ty streams extracted by tystudio. My question is: what format is best for extracting the audio? Does it matter whether the show is DD or not? No audio transcoding, AC3, MP at 48khz....I'm confused as to which audio extraction method is best for DVD.

Thanks.

captain_video
05-24-2003, 09:50 AM
If you're extracting from a DirecTivo then select no transcoding. TyStudio will automatically default to the type of audio contained in the tystream (i.e. 48kHz or AC3). You only need to transcode the audio if you're extracting from a SA Tivo, in which case you'd select 48kHz (DVD) or whatever sample rate is required by the recording format you wish to use for creating DVDs, VCDs, or SVCDs. I see no reason to ever select AC3 since the no transcoding option will keep the original soundtrack intact for a DTivo and AC3 audio is not available from a SA Tivo.

shuiqlazam
05-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi,

I use no transcode when demuxing the ty into m2a and m2v. After that, i use besweet to convert to AC3.

I have found a few DVD players won't play the DVD if the audio is in m2a format.

It's not necessary.. but nice for sharing shows, etc with friends on their DVD player.

Shui

brett63
05-25-2003, 09:53 AM
MP2 audio is not DVD compliant. It will play on many of the players, but not all (my friend's Sony being one of them). AC3 is compliant, and therefore I convert all of my shows to that format.

Meathead
05-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Edited

tards
05-28-2003, 02:44 PM
So what's the harm in letting tystudio export the audio as AC3 *all the time*? Seems that would be the most compliant.

Meathead
05-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by tards
So what's the harm in letting tystudio export the audio as AC3 *all the time*? Seems that would be the most compliant.

Tha't what I'm doing now, everything AC3, unless it's DD. I just leave it alone.

Meat

kitschcamp
05-29-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by tards

Maybe on your DVD player, but on my UK setup it's a second of audio, a gap, a second of audio, a gap... You get the idea? The raw m2a files seem to work better.

tards
05-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
If you're extracting from a DirecTivo then select no transcoding. TyStudio will automatically default to the type of audio contained in the tystream (i.e. 48kHz or AC3). You only need to transcode the audio if you're extracting from a SA Tivo, in which case you'd select 48kHz (DVD) or whatever sample rate is required by the recording format you wish to use for creating DVDs, VCDs, or SVCDs. I see no reason to ever select AC3 since the no transcoding option will keep the original soundtrack intact for a DTivo and AC3 audio is not available from a SA Tivo.

So if I ALWAYS select no audio transcoding and the .ty is dolby digital/AC3, tystudio will output an .ac3 file? And if I select no audio transcoding and the .ty file is not DD/AC3, it will output a 48khz m2a file?