PDA

View Full Version : OK Geniuses - H E L P Tivo > XSVCD > DVDR



<K>
05-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Ok- this forum has been a help before so I'm hoping for help again...

I'm using TyStudio with lots of success (so long as I don't have a bunch of cuts) and have successfully extracted dozens of streams from my Tivo. My Tivo is set to capture at 480x480 and I burn many of the programs to CD-R as XSVCDs.

Rather than keep 100's of CD-R's I'd like to author DVD's with these programs but am running into the problem of compatibility. I do not want to re-encode the content and was hoping I could use DVDPatcher to change the header then ULead Moviefactory to author. Unfortunately, this method DID work once but now seems to yield odd results including the cropping of my video extractions (I see only the left ~2/3rds of the frame!)

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't I be able to patch the header then import to Ulead? It worked before - why would it suddenly not work?? HELP!??

captain_video
05-24-2003, 04:59 PM
This sounds like a problem with your set top DVD player. Some older players don't like 480x480 DVDs and only show the the video in the lefthand 2/3rd of the screen. It's got nothing to do with DVD MovieFactory.

falderal
05-24-2003, 05:43 PM
From what I gather some DVD players read some info from the header that the majority ignor. You feed it 480x480 but it displays it 720x480 because if says 720x480 in the SDE (sequence display extension) info in the header.

Check http://www.geocities.com/eby_vdo/ for a utility that might help you out.

Also check http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com for another possible solution.

Some have had luck using DVD maestro and choosing the "force pan and scan" option.

That said, I personally haven't had success with any of these methods. :mad: I almost have it working with SVCD2DVDMPG+ but it may be just my system and one of these may work for you.

I wonder if this is something that could be added to tystudio. Maybe it already is and it is getting overwritten by other software that we use to process our files. It would be great if DVD patcher could do this but I'm not sure how to suggest it... it seems like the developers speak only german.

<K>
05-24-2003, 06:30 PM
The strange thing is it worked before!

I patched the header for the entire 4th season of the Sopranos after extracting from Tivo. I plugged into Moviefactory - burned - and voila... beautiful dvd's. NOW when I do the same exact thing... I run into the problem *in Moviefactory* where I can immedietly tell the files are chopped off on the right. Why would this suddenly be a problem? Should I burn anyway to see if it's just an issue with how my computer is displaying these?

This has been VERY frustrating so thanks for the help.

falderal
05-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Probably the best thing to do is a test on a small show and use a DVD RW to test instead of wasting discs. Write down the steps you are doing so you can duplicate it when it works. I have the opposite problem... all my stuff plays fine on my computer but is squished on my TV.

What are all the steps you are taking? Name all the software involved and what type of DVD player are you using?

<K>
05-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Ok- here's what I did (do):
* Tivo is set to capture at 480x480/5800kbps
* Rip content from Tivo using TyStudio (with DVD options chosen although I don't think that matters). Result = .mpg
* Using DVDPatcher, re-write header only (not whole file) from 480x480 to 352x480 (keeping framerate at 29.97 - aspect at 4:3)
* Open ULead MovieFactory v 2 - import .mpg with modified header. Author menu's.

...it's the last step, when I import the video I see the video looks chopped on the right side in MovieFactory. Just for the heck of it I burn the DVD just now... and it looks fine! Here's what I think it is:

the source of my last test had audio at 48000khz while other tests had 44100. The burn with 44100 audio and modified headers caused problems. Let me try to resample the audio and see if that works. Maybe the audio is causing the issues...

jore
05-25-2003, 12:04 AM
The "chopped" image is not your problem, that's normal. The video is really 480x480 but you fooled it into 352x480.

<K>
05-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Ok I found the problem I believe...
The fake header works, my movies actually had audio at the wrong spec (44.1 instead of 48). This caused all the weird problems when authoring.

I *still* get the problem when I'm building menu's in that the image appears cropped in thumbnail frames (for buttons). It's not a big deal to me and I suppose I could work around it by changing the header back to 480x480 after importing. I'm too lazy and am not that concerned about it.

So I now can successfully record content for use on both CD-R or DVD-R depending on my preference. Luckily my player plays both!