PDA

View Full Version : HDTV DirecTV Tivo

petershipp
05-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Does anyone have any info on when we can expect to see the first relases of the new HD Tivo (from Philips, Hughes, etc.)? I know Tivo has a reference design but when will we see the real deal?

http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=164

raj2001
05-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Are you totally sure TiVo has the reference design? The unit at CES was a nonfunctional mockup. They probably have the concept, but it's quite uncertain whether any development has been made. It probably wouldn't take them very long though, since it won't vary that much from the regular DirecTiVo. DirecTV or its contractors would probably do some of the development of the OTA and DirecTV tuners. I could be wrong, as others have reported TiVo demonstrating a HD unit sometime ago.

I honestly think that TiVo and DirecTV announced this so that they wouldn't look bad when DISH releases its PVR 921. Like alot of other people, I've considered jumping ship to DISH for HDTV. I would really love to buy a HDTV set right now, but I simply can't do without the convenience of TiVo or another PVR.

petershipp
06-18-2003, 11:27 PM
True, the reference design is only a design; TiVo is not in the hardware business. I am just wondering if anyone knows what's going on with any of the hardware manufacturer’s. I would assume Hughes and Philips would be the first to release models.

From everything I have found so far, the receiver will be a little different than the traditional DirecTiVo since I am sure it will have an ATSC tuner, you simply can't take that out of a DirecTV HD receiver (every one of my customers who uses DirecTV for HD uses the internal ATSC tuner of their receiver to get local HD.)

As far as DISH, GOOD LUCK, if the Dish6000 is any indication of Echostar’s ability (or lack of ability) to build an HD receiver (QPSK and ASTC), I cannot possibly have high hopes for whatever HD PVR they have come up with. They might be the first, but we know how crappy the first one always is! Plus, DirecTV just announced 4 new HD channels starting July 1, and while my friend the Dish dealer claims they have 30 something new HD channels being rolled out all I have to say is 'sure' locals maybe.

Any more insight from anyone???

captain_video
06-19-2003, 10:25 AM
You might try over at the Tivo Community Forum. They have several members there that actually work for Tivo. I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death over there so you should find the answer you're looking for.