PDA

View Full Version : Finally found something that works out of the box

bsbd_1
05-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Well after alot of trial and error using various freeware I tried the software that came with my DVD burner which is the HP Showbiz DVD.

It will take the output from tystudio when encoded for DVD without any complaints, has an awsome editor for commercials. I personally like to watch MASH and it has so blasted many commercials that it's very frustrating to watch. I told showbiz to find the "chapters" and it found all the commercials so I just selected the parts that I wanted, joined them together and put them in the storry board. Fairly easy to do and only took about 5 minutes after the scan for chapters was complete. Encoding is a bit slow but at least I don't have to fuss with the coding of the stream. Audio and video is exactly in synch all the way through even after over 12 different edits for various things.

It also has transitions for going between the edits and is very easy to use.

I also tried the ulead DVD workshop and it was so more difficult to use i gave up after 4 hours of working at it.

Bottom line, it's a bit slower than some methods people are using but it works perfectly as far as I've been able to tell.

captain_video
05-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Ulead DVD Workshop isn't really all that difficult to use but, as with any new software package, has a learning curve associated with it. I didn't like it either when I first used it because I had problems getting things to work. Check out this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728&perpage=15&highlight=DVD%20Movie%20Factory&pagenumber=4) thread for info on using DVD Workshop/Movie Factory with Tivo ty files. There's a nice tutorial by Pr. Sinister on page 4 of the thread that you can download. The info on creating menus and chapters is somewhat lacking but you'll get the basic gist of how to use it. Here's a quick rundown of how to use it:

1. Set up a working directory to store your projects. Click on the Start option at the top, create a new project, and name it anything you like. Make sure you've patched the 1st header to 352X480 at 3.5MBits for any mpeg file you plan on importing.

2. Click on Capture at the top. In the area at the lower left, click on the Open File icon and navigate to the mpeg file(s) you wish to import. Open the file and let it import. It will look like nothing's happening except you should see your hard drive activity indicator on your CPU case show that there's activity. You'll see a thumbnail of the video file in the left side when it's completed. Repeat for each mpeg file you want to import. Drag the mpeg file thumbnails from the left area to the box that says "Drop video or image clip here" for New Title. Repeat, in order, for each clip you want to add to the project.

3. Click on Edit at the top if you want to add chapter stops. Otherwise, click on the menu option and bypass the edit step. To add chapter stops, click on the filmstrip icon at the top just below the Capture option to display the chapter list on the far right of the screen. If there's already an area that looks like a filmstrip under the DVD Workshop logo then you don't need to click the icon. Use the cursor arrows at the side of the small preview box in the lower right corner to select the clip you want to edit. Click in the time indicator and manually enter the time where you would like to add your 1st chapter stop. I usually set them at about 10-minute intervals. You can use the slider bar but manually entering the time is more precise and faster. When the main image area updates to reflect the time you chose for the chapter stop, click on the small icon at the lower right edge of the display screen to add the chapter stop. You should see a thumbnail image appear in the filmstrip list at the right with the chapter number indicated. Repeat this for each chapter you want to add for that clip and then navigate to the next clip using the aforementioned cursor arrows and repeat for every clip. Click on the floppy disk icon at the top left of the screen to save the project.

(Continued in next post)-

captain_video
05-26-2003, 11:54 AM
4. Click on the Menu option and the Create New Menu wizard will be displayed in the window. You can use one of the menu templates or create your own menu from a blank template. Pick whichever option you want. If you use a template, create your title and other text as desired. You can delete extraneous icons and text from the template if not needed. Click on the filmstrip icon just above the upper left-hand corner of the menu thumbnail area at the bottom of the screen to display the current video clips you've imported into the project. To link a clip to one of the buttons, drag and drop the clip to the button. If you have more than one menu (i.e. a main title menu and a chapter menu or any other combination) you link them together simply by dragging the thumbnail of the menu to the button on the other menu you wish to link to it. If you have a main menu with a button and you'd like to link that button to the secondary menu, drag the secondary menu thumbnail from the menu list at the bottom and drop it on the main menu button to link it. If you want to link individual chapters to a button, drag the chapter thumbnail from the filmstrip at the right to the button on the menu. When you display the clip list at the bottom, you can select the clip the same way you did in the Edit screen by using the cursor arrows for the preview box at the bottom to display the chapter list for each title. You can add thumbnails for each clip or chapter by importing them the same way you did with the video clips. I use PowerDVD to test my mpegs for synch and then use the capture function to get thumbnails. I save them as bitmaps in Photoshop and resize then at 480X360 so they'll be in the correct aspect ratio. I just import them and overlay them on the screen buttons so they actually become the buttons. Just drag and drop your video on the thumbnail just like you did with the button. You can also import one of the images to use as a background image for your menu.

5. Save the project and click on Finish. Click on the Play button and you should link to the first menu. Navigate through the buttons using the cursor keys. The audio should play fine but the video will probably be very choppy. Don't worry about this because it will play fine once it's been compiled. When you're happy that all the menus and buttons work as you like, click on the Make Disc icon at the upper left. From the popup window, select Customize at the bottom of the list. Under the General tab, select 352X480 for frame size. Click on the Compression tab and select Variable Video Data Rate and MPEG audio as the Audio format. Click OK and you'll get a message box indicating that MPEG audio is not the standard audio format but you can ignore this. In the Working Directory field, click on the pulldown box at the right and navigate to the working directory you created earlier. Check the box just below the Working directory field to Create DVD directory. Click Start and you should see the progress bar go through four different stages. The first three stages go fairly quickly but the 4th stage is the actual compilation process and takes the longest. The progress bar actually displays twice during stage 4 because it finalizes the VOB files after compiling the project. If you get an error during any of these stages or the progress bar just stops dead, check out my workarounds in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23886&highlight=DVD+Movie+Factory) thread.

You can find out more about creating menus by checking out this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789728354/qid%3D1053966379/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-5198629-1684126#product-details) link. It's an excerpt from the book "How To Use Ulead DVD Workshop" on Amazon.com by Tom Bunzel. The excerpt is the entire chapter on menu creation and has many more options than I've outlined here. It has lots of good info but the book is mostly filler. It also contains info on using DVD Movie Factory so it is a two-in-one How To book. There are also lots of tips and How Tos on the Ulead website.

VideoJoe
05-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Encoding is a bit slow but at least I don't have to fuss with the coding of the stream. Audio and video is exactly in synch all the way through even after over 12 different edits for various things.

I think most people using this forum are looking for methods that require no re-encoding of the ty-stream, many 'out of the box' programs will work, but will it work without changing the resolution or bitrate?

captain_video
05-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Most programs only require that you change the resolution and/or bitrate of the 1st header of the video or mpeg file. This allows importing of a non-standard video file into the program so that it will process the file. Transcoding the entire video stream is not the norm. Transcoding the audio stream from a SA Tivo is a necessity since it won't be recognized by a set top DVD player, let alone any DVD authoring software. Audio from a DTivo requires no processing at all. Patching the 1st header isn't any big deal and is quite fast and easy to do. One caveat with DVDWS is that it creates a single set of VOB files for multiple titles in a compilation so the patched headers can be scattered throughout. I generally patch the entire set of VOB files back to 480X480 @ 15MBit so that the headers originally patched to 352X480 @ 3.5MBit get restored to their original resolution and bitrates. This will prevent any glitches from occurring during playback when the odd headers are encountered.

VideoJoe
05-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Wish that DVDWS would work without patching the headers, then the chapters would work correctly, they seem to move when the headers are patched. The menu icons are stretched also. I've been bugging Ulead to enable the use of 480 x 480 frame sizes, and they may include it on a future release. Recommend sending them additional requests.

From Ulead:

Sorry, just confirm this with DVD WS product manager with this
question.He said we will not to support none DVD compliant Mpeg-2 file in
currect version of DVD WS(Could't enable it by add something ). He will
consider add this in the future release. Anyway, thanks for your good
suggestion, we will try our best to make it happen in the future.

Best regards,
-Tommy Chan,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please include copies of previous messages when sending replies for
faster history tracking of your inquiry. Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ulead on the Web www.ulead.com
Download Site ftp.ulead.com
Ulead Systems, Inc. - Innovative Multimedia Solutions

>>The original problem is:
>>How can I enable the custom frame size box? I understand that custom
frame sizes are not DVD compliant and could result in non-playable
DVDs. I need to put 2/3 D1 (480 x 480) onto a DVD without re-encoding to
720 or 352 x 480. And yes, I mean DVD not SVCD. Please send a patch or
instructions to enable this feature, thanks.

captain_video
05-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, header patching is a must if you want to use DTivo mpeg files or elemental streams with mainstream authoring programs (the exception being if you patched SpruceUp with Koreth's resolution mod to make it accept 480X480 as a standard format). I guess you can't really blame Ulead for not adding the support. How many different sources do you think buyers of their software will encounter with non-DVD compliant resolution? I can't see where it would be cost-effective for them to satisfy a small niche group like us. AFAIK, only DTivos produce the oddball 480X480 output. SA Tivos can be set up to record in a standard DVD video resolution so you only need to transcode the audio. If you're really concerned with the way the chapters work then you might want to try using SpruceUp or DVD Maestro. The chapter stops reflect the actual video frame you assign to them. This is a must if you're actually trying to insert meaningful chapters. If that's your desire then you should consider using a more professional authoring tool like Maestro anyway. I only use them to allow easier access to any point on the DVD without having to fast-forward through the entire disc to get there. It's sort of moot with my current DVD player anyway (Sony 715) since it remembers where I left off even if I change discs numerous times in between.