PDA

View Full Version : setting bitrate for dtivo

toefu
05-26-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm running a phillips dsr6k series 1 dtivo.

I've read that you could set bitrate via tivo web on SA tivos, but i've looked everywhere on my dtivo for these options with no luck. I tried to set each season pass to a "basic" setting, with no luck.

All of my SVCD mpg's are still 15mbs bitrate, which is virtually unplayable by anything except a computer. Is there some kind of setting or some kind of TCL script that someone has made to force all recordings at say..... 2.52 mbps or so?

converting each and every mpg to 2.52 mbps is taking 5-6 hours per show. Please point me in the right direction if you know. Thanks in advance.

phillips dsr6k series 1 running Extreme 2.5 with turbonet, tivoweb, tystudio w/ noscramble.

rung
05-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Unlike SA tivos, dtivos receive programs pre-digitized at the bitrate you are seeing. It can't be changed without re-encoding with something like tmpgenc.

toefu
05-26-2003, 02:27 PM
thanks for the quick reply. so i guess there is no other solution. It's just such a pain to re-encode using tmpg or mpegvcr. audio sync issues and image errors. Many cases will take more than one try to get each movie correct, and for some odd reason, my 15mbps bitrate movie is typically SMALLER than the newly created 2.52mbps movie.

AlphaWolf
05-26-2003, 04:08 PM
The advantage with directivo receivers is that you get a far better quality video feed at a far lower bitrate than an SA tivos best quality.

SR712
05-26-2003, 05:39 PM
toefu-

The DirecTv video stream is a variable rate stream. It is not a constant 15mps. That is why it is smaller than the new one you have resampled. Plus... it is compressed with DirecTv's multi-million dollar compression engine, you couldn't ask for much better for the actual bitrate and size of files.

toefu
05-27-2003, 02:38 AM
no wonder the compression is so great. i was quite impressed. but unfortunately, i'm unable to share it with anyone else because none of their dvd players can play these movies during high action sequences. The sound and video gets too choppy.

But thank you for all your tips.