PDA

View Full Version : TyTool Alpha #7, VSplit Alpha beta #3.01, DVD output...

Pages : [1] 2 3

jdiner
05-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Alright. A new thread for my tools. A great many things have happened. But best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Over the last month or so. I have been working hard on getting what I wanted out of my toolset and clearing off my HDs before I lost any more of TyStreams.

What is it that I want you ask? :) DVD output. Nothing more, nothing less. Beyond needing a simple one to work I don't care about menus. I just want to be able to watch the shows I have extract in as perfect a fashion as possible. So in priority:
1- Perfect extractions and mux'ing.
2- Perfect playback (can't have this without #1).
3- Best possible playback on a hardware player.
4- Menu's.
10+ Menus with bitmaps and chapter menus...

I spent literally weeks going through my output and each of the other major vendors DVD programs trying to find one that would work everytime. Many are good. But each seems to have a a serious weekness. Rather than have people wondering what I saw I will list it out here so there is no confusion:

DVD Impression:
+ A good tool with a great feature set.

- Expensive!
- But a wacked out interface to my way of thinking. (This is all personal... :)
- Slow to generate output.
- Re-mux'es and in so doing completely ignored the current PTS information. Every cut point smashes sync to some extent.
- Crashes like mad on Tivo streams as they are so far from the real spec.

Worked on average 2 out of 6 streams. (Again I was testing ones that I no are weird. But if they work then things that are good will too. Everytime!)

Gear tools:
+ A great way to burn disks.

- Very expensive.
- No way to create menu's etc...

Couldn't build anything resembling a menu so...

Ulead DVD Workshop:
+ A good tool with a great feature set.
+ Will work with Tivo streams as long as the resolution is changed first.
+ A sweet simple interface.
+ A good way to build menus that look great.

- Expensive!
- Have to change the resolution of the mpeg files going in and out.
- Processing of shows on loading is slower than cold tar.
- Slow to generate output do to how it does what it does.
- Re-mux'es and in so doing completely ignored the current PTS information. Every cut point smashes sync to some extent.
- Crashes way more than I could stand.
- Did not like streams that are legal but have GOP that are either way to long (86 is the biggest I have seen yet) or way to short.
- Every mpg you import goes in as a seperate title. No way to make the part of the same show. (I know why I think they did it. It is a major simplification and make things at least 10x easier...)

Worked on 5 of 7 streams.

Ulead DVD MovieFactory:
Same as above but with a simpler feature set in many ways...

Tmpgenc DVD Authoring:
+ A good tool.
+ Faster at loading in the shows than Ulead's tools.
+ I had not crashes using it.
+ It will warn but ignore on the wrong GOP sizes. And it actually works with both really long and really short ones.

- It requires the resolution patching going in and out to work.
- It re-muxes. But KEEPS the previous mux'es information in many ways. This means that it handled edited streams quite well. However it also has SERIOUS issues if the video stream is damaged. And sure enough bad video frames are more common than you would think on the SeriesI and II DTivo units.
- Always have to have a chapter menu. I didn't want that at all, but many here do.
- Bitmaps come from the altered stream, resolution, so they remain squished.

Worked on 8 of 10 streams. I really thought this one was going to be perfect. But then it fails on anything with a damaged video stream. I have tons of those. Rain faid, and it fails. Snow on the dish, fails. The closest but no cigar...

ifoedit:
+ Darn near free.
+ Will handle Tivo streams.
+ Will handle things nicely if there is a problem.

- Dev has stopped. He is on the copy team thing now. Check his website on that...
- No way to create or edit menu's.

That covers pretty much anything I spent any time with. I tried many many more and found that most of them didn't work at all with non-standard streams or just had to many crashes to be able to use.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:29 PM
I suppose I should have mentioned DVDLab...

I have had a great many converstaions via email with the author of that tool and the author of the SDK that it uses for DVD creation.

It is in my opinion one of the most intuitive tools I have ever seen for DVD creation and layout.

The problem is not with the author of the DVDLab tool. But with the guy that did the SDK. I traded amny emails with him. I gave him a ton of tivo output to look at. Things were making great progress and then he just kind of freaked out. I don't know if he was just frustrated by the needed support for non-standard things or what.

But he has made it clear he has no intention of adding full support for Tivo files.

However, let me make it clear. I never paid him a dime although we were in discussion on my purchasing his SDK. The DVDLab guy is definately a paying customer. As such he might be able to get him working on it again. So there is still hope, but it could take a very long time.

--jdiner

koreth
05-26-2003, 09:33 PM
The final release of DVDlab will allow VOBs to be imported without remuxing. I've used that to create a nicely-synced DTiVo DVD (see the "DVDlab supports 480x480" thread for the convoluted process I used.) Hopefully that'll let people use your new tool and DVDlab together if needed.

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Well... That is a good question.

Here is the answer. We get nice output from the TyTool/VSplit toolset because of all of the information that can be gleened from a TyStream file. By the time we are in the mpeg file much of it can not be regotten in anyway.

I maintain my belief that that is the only way to "get and keep" good sync'ed output. It allows us "to get around" damaged streams that have lost audio video or both. As soon as you re-mux that capability is lost.

That is why I thought that the tmpgenc tool was going to be so good. They kept all of that information. But they haven't gone all the way with the video stream. Who knows why. But at some point they might close that gap and then it will be darn near perfect.

So we have to use a tool that doesn't re-mux the file. The first and best known here is ifoedit. It works. But is serious feature set limited. To be honest I didn't spend much time with it. With no menu support it was not of interest to me and so many others here.

But I was able to verify that it does indeed work to just "process" the output from TyTool and put it on DVD. Which was a major first step.

So that led me on a search for a toolset that would specifically not re-mux the output. And I found it. It used to be called ifogen. Many here mentioned it some months ago. It is not called dvdauthor. It has come a very long way. And it leaves the files mux'ing complete alone.

So what happens now:

- TyTool and vsplit have been extended to output true vob format files.

- These output files have the NAV PES packets mux'ed into them and the mux'ing is now spot-on. But I have no idea what goes into these NAV packets. So at present these packets have a header with a size and nothing else.

- There is no need to alter the resolution in the file either going in or coming out. So we save that very time consuming step.

- DVDAuthor is then used on them and this tool fills in the "empty" pieces. The best part it does so without re-mux'ing of any kind. So if the output from TyTool plays on your PC it will play on your DVD player (with a few notable exceptions from certain vendors).

- The end result a perfect DVD fileset. Everytime.

I have at the present time done over 100 test burns. (A DVD+RW drive is a wonderful thing. So very very fast... I am going to have to get my sister a new disk though. You can see where the smaller test burns were on the disk even though I have done many full burns on it. Anyone know how many burns one of these disks is really good for? :)

On top of the test burns I have done 25 or so real burns now. 4 movie disks with 2 movies per disk, do keep in mind that fitting 2 is dependant on the size of the movies themselves... Stargate SG1, Smallville, Angel, etc...

Every disk has played flawless for me in the following players:
Apex 600a
Apex 1100w
Apex 1200
Apex 1201
Mintek 1600
Panasonic S35
JVC N30
JVC N40
JVC N50
JVC N55

So for me. It was everything I wanted. If the TyTool can work with the stream you can now put it quickly onto a DVD. It is nice to get the work back to processing streams and not messing around with trying to work around stupid issues from the other tools.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by koreth
The final release of DVDlab will allow VOBs to be imported without remuxing. I've used that to create a nicely-synced DTiVo DVD (see the "DVDlab supports 480x480" thread for the convoluted process I used.) Hopefully that'll let people use your new tool and DVDlab together if needed.

Yep. I know. I helped it get there... :) And sadly I never even got included in the beta. I just worked things over with Oscar and his consultants. *sigh*

But... As I mentioned. I had a number of test streams that are no go with it. I would love to see it get finished and working perfectly. Then there would be no more need for fancier menu creation from me or from any other tivo developer.

NOTE: I suppose I should make it very clear. I have no hatred for any other tool. I would love a really good one. I just want one that works everytime. I hate getting all the way to the end and finding that sync is off... It is just too much wasted time.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:50 PM
So onto the latest version of the tools.

You guessed it. Menu creation, muxing, processing, everything all in 1 simple place. No more need for the convoluted processes that we have all been using in the past.

Here is the list of major changes, fixes, and alterations to the latest versions of the toolset:

TyTool Alpha #7 Release 1
Release Notes
May 26, 2003

Here is a brief run down of all that changed between the last public version #6 and this first release of #7. A great many things have changed. Almost everything have been altered in some way with the following list of changes.

I have run pretty massive series of tests with this thing and found a many many bugs before making this release. However hang on to your old stuff. You just never know when thing might just go wrong and you will want an older version to rollback too.

--jdiner

These are in no particular order. Just as I remembered them while writing things down:

1- Perfected the bad chunk detection. Or at least I think so now... :) You should never see the massive number of prints that used to happen anymore. Now when one occurs it really is something that should have been good but turned out to be bad.

2- Automatically patches any audio "holes" on the fly (for everything but AC3 audio right now). Meaning both SA and DTivo streams both series1 and series2. This means that even when just splitting streams to seperate files that have holes the show will now stay in perfect sync for use in other tools. This is a limited fix. It works well when only audio data is missing as happens fairly often on the Dtivo. But it does nothing for simple splitting where a true hole in both video and audio data have been corrupted.

3- The splitter is now cut aware so that you get multiple smaller files, split audio and video files, that contain only the desired segments and do not include the cut out sections. These can then be fed to anything that will accept them. Coupled with fix #2 it makes things work better when using other tools.

4- The whole thing is about 30% faster than before and there are a few more things I can do to speed it all up. But I doubt I will do that until a few more mainstream things get fixed.

5- DVD menu creation and DVD IFO fileset creating are now built right into TyTool. There will be 2 sets of menu creation systems. One for use with bitmap images to get pictures and 1 that is text only. Currently only the text only is completed and in place.

The menus are simple and created directly from my own code. The creation process using other tools is far more flexible but I found it seriously slow. My take on it was that speed and ease of creation where the key. So when and if you look at it you will find that is it limited feature wise but fast and incredibly easy to use. The final fileset creation is done by DVDAuthor (formerly known as ifogen). It is an external program found with the cygwin.dll library as part of this release. There are now a few other tools I have created in place as well. BMP2Y4M is a program I wrote to take a windows bitmap image and turn it into something that the mpeg2enc program can compress. The mpeg2enc is from the web. And the the muxmenu is a program I created to turn everything into a true menu for the DVD.

At present only top level menus are supported but as dvdauthor supports chapter menus and other things as well, I expect that at some point in the not so distant future many more options will be available.

6- A complete recoding in C++ to make it easier to move code and ideas between my own different programs. Although compiling on different platforms is now a bit harder. Sadly C++ is by and large never a standard between OS platforms and Cygwin on Win32 is a joke look for my database stuff for a reaon why... :(

7- Chapters in the DVD can now selectably be added at the cut points in the show as done in GopEditor or at "every X minutes". This is an option that is selectable for each individual show within a disk you are building as well as what time each chapter "every X minutes" will really be.

8- Each DVD is generated in a selectable output folder. So you can build several without need to burn them out or over-writing or losing anything you have already made.

9- The file selector dialog has been seriously upgraded. You can now use the enter key in much the same way as in the system requestor it replaced. Hit enter on a directory entry and you will change into that directory. Hit enter on a file and it will be added to the list to be processed. Hit the backspace key in either listbox and you will, if possible, move back up 1 directory. It is not much faster and easier to navigate and select the files to be processed.

10- The mux'ing of the DVD vob output was added and fixed and fixed and fixed until it got to the form it is currently in. As it stands now it seems to be rock solid. Time will tell.

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:51 PM
11- Editing for SA tivo streams was majorly cleaned up. There were a few real issues before due to how the Tivo stored it that have now been fixed.

12- The regular mpeg multiplex'ing has been fixed in a few main areas. These serve to make it more compatible with other players both hardware and software and most notably with a bunch of more expensive hardware players that I have been trying recently (JVC would not work on 60% of the files...) and some cheap ones (Mintek @ $49 is a great deal as it plays every type of media).

13- In TyTool splitting on download has been restored and now works correctly again.

14- Ditto for mux'ing on download.

15- The GopEditor has been cleaned up and the whacked out exit keystroke issue fixed. It said alt-f-x in the menu itself to exit, but you had to use alt-f-e to actually exit (Ctrl-E worked). Guess I was just going way to fast when making changes to that tool. It is now alt-f-x as is the standard.

16- In the DVD generation code the last directory you used for the DVD output folder is kept and automatically re-loaded from the INI file on the next run. This is both good and bad. It lest you accidently over-write things if you are building up a big list and are not careful but primarily it just makes things easier and faster.

17- The tytool.ini file used to get dropped whereever the last file was loaded from. This has been fixed and it now goes into the same directory as the tytool.exe everytime.

18- Full and complete support for SeriesII streams has been added. It works for my entire SeriesII testbed. Amazing enough it is much simpler to split SeriesII streams than it is for either of the other 2 types of Tivo machines.

19- As obviously required by the above, the grayed out menu options for dealing with the DVD stuff have been turned on and run correctly now. They are used to complete the above processes.

20- The splitting code now does a much better job of locking onto things in problem streams. As a result you should never see the "could not find embedded audio header" messages any more.

21- A fix mode for ULead tools has been added. They have a serious design flaw, IMHO, in how they deal with things that are non-standard. And trust me when I say that the tivo output is non-standard. :)

22- It is now possible to mux to completely seperate output files. This is to make it easier to use the output in other programs. For my own internal stuff this is not needed.

23- The splitter got a major re-working especially in how it dealt with problem streams. Reception here at my house can be bad... It is much much more robust now.

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah. One more thing for the release notes...

24- The cutting engine got a complete overhaul. I used to leave the SCR/PTS holes in place. Most programs had no issue with that but the hardware players did.

So now it compresses everything down in just the way it should and leaves no large holes in place where the edit occured.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Ok. I deleted a bunch of posts to try and get something I could replace the attachment on onto the first page. But that was becoming a real waste of things that people had posted.

So instead the manual is going going gone and I will be "editing" this post for each new release of the tool. So in the future look for it in this post.

TyTool 7r4 with DVD - ok. The attachment has changed. We are now at 7r4. Lots of new work. Lots of bug fixes. Check the release notes found inside the .zip for all of what has changed.

Most important is the support for Audio Transcoding.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-26-2003, 09:56 PM
There are going to be 2 releases of the TyTool7/Vsplit3 release.

One will have all of the needed extras for the DVD creation in the archive and one will not. The only reason for doing so is that one of the files is much much larger than the others. Support DLLs suck... :(

--jdiner

rpongett
05-26-2003, 10:36 PM
(A) Post the beta version. I'll test it now. I have about 45-50 DVDs comprising around 400 programs jammed with ty files waiting to be mass converted to DVD format (right now, I can watch them only on my computer using mplayer). I.e., I have test material.

(B) Following through on these interests would be truly awesome:
I just want to be able to watch the shows I have extract in as perfect a fashion as possible. So in priority:
1- Perfect extractions and mux'ing.
2- Perfect playback (can't have this without #1).
3- Best possible playback on a hardware player.
4- Menu's.All I want is to be able to convert the hudreds of ty files now archied to identical DVD format with functional menus (generated from their file names is fine), no matter how ugly.

(C) Glad to see you back. Hopefully the "real life" invading your TyTool developement time emerged from wanted rather than unwanted events.

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Alright folks. Sorry about that. I went out to get something to eat and the resteraunt was running really slowly. I forgot that today was a holiday. (14 hours sitting in this chair would do that to anyone) Anyway their kitchen staff apparently had 1/2 the right number of people.

But anyway here we go.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Alright. I might have overplayed the "ugly" fact of my interfaces a bit. That was not my point. While I get the latest builds archived and uploaded here is a set of screen shots that I had intended to go with the docs before I realized that MS Office had never made it onto this machine.

Hopefully it will give everyone something to ponder while the rest is finished.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Darn it I am getting rusty. I hit post before attaching the screen shots. Here they are.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Neutronflux
Jdiner - how is it that Series II [Directivo?] are easier to split? -- also, do you see your utility being ported to Apple OSX anytime soon - the power of the G4 Processor is very appealing.

Ummmm. They just are? :)

I have been keeping the public releases of VSplit up-to-date on OSx.

As for the GUI tools, TyTool and GopEditor. I have no current plans to make an OSX release. Mostly because I don't have one or that kind of access to one. It would take me a while to get up to speed on it.

I have been looking in WxWindows to try and offload some of that. It would let me get an X11 version as well. But I have not yet done much more than some simple reading.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Holy cow. 5 downloads while I typed one reply. It would seem the waters have been chummed.

Alright. I have things archived now.

--jdiner

Norco
05-27-2003, 12:37 AM
lol, I wondered if you forgot to attach the pics or if you were just making us wait longer. Ahh, the agony of patience.

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:39 AM
In this archive you will find the Win32 versions of:

TyTool7r4.exe
TyTool.ini
Vsplit3.exe (version Beta 3.03)
GopEditor 0.07
TyTranscodeDLL.dll

The release notes and the Manual for the creation of the DVDs menu and all. (Seems like some of have already downloaded these docs but...)

There are no DVD extras in this release. This is just for those that want the base tool and nothing more, i.e. SVCD output/MPEG output/Split file output/etc...

TyTool 7r4 - This version is all new. As is the VSplit counterpary. This archive is simply smaller with none of the DVD extras...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Not trying to be mean. I just realized I should have made the other release sooner. But I figured people would at least read the first release text and for those that wanted the smaller download find it that way.

So here we go. The Win32 binary versions of:

TyTool7r1.exe
TyTool.ini
VSplit3.exe
bmp2y4m.exe
CYGWIN1.DLL
dvdauthor.exe
GopEditor.exe
MPEG2ENC.EXE
MuxMenu.exe
TyTool7- Release Notes.doc
TyTool7-Dvd and Menu.doc

Everything that you will need is in here.

Again I wrote everything but mpeg2enc.exe which came right off of the net (from mjpeg project) and dvdauthor which came from dvdauthor.sourceforge.net. The version included here is 318 if that means anything to anyone else.

Just unpack it. It will create the TyTool directory with all of the above in it. They all need to be in the same directory on your disk but you can put it anywhere you want.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Man it takes a long time to upload 670k on my DSL line. But there it is.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-27-2003, 01:09 AM
How do I have Tytool 7.1 output VOB files to a different directory than my .ty files are located?

This is a problem because my .ty files are archived on DVD and it (obviously) can't write the .VOB files back to the DVD. And I don't have enough room (and don't want to blow the extra time) to copy all of the .ty files back to the hard drive AND have space for all .VOB and .IFO files.

jdiner
05-27-2003, 01:35 AM
Crap. It never fails. I had a bit of debug code left in the muxmenu.exe program. It expected a completely different hard coded directory to be present for a temp debug output file. If you don't have, which I can't believe anyone will it will crash the mux menu program. Dumb dumb dumb.

So here is a new version of just that one file. It should make things work as I just did a clean install on a completely different machine and the process worked. I should have done that before. Sorry for the confusion peoples.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-27-2003, 01:37 AM
I made a test .VOB file (I can't do it on a whole archived DVD of .ty files yet because of the .ty/.VOB directory issue discussed above). That worked fine.

But, when I try to create an IFO file, I get the error": There was an error running bmp2y4m . . .
Please check the directories for the .EXE and menu.bmp files.[/quote]

jdiner
05-27-2003, 01:41 AM
Ummm. Try running it by hand to see what happened. Like I said I just did a completely clean install on a machine that has never had any of this and it worked. I would expect that it would work.

I just looked through the source. That program is very simple and it shows none of the hard coded things I would expect would cause that problem.

Umm. Try this:

bmp2y4m menu.bmp menu.yuv

and see what happens.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by rpongett
How do I have Tytool 7.1 output VOB files to a different directory than my .ty files are located?

This is a problem because my .ty files are archived on DVD and it (obviously) can't write the .VOB files back to the DVD. And I don't have enough room (and don't want to blow the extra time) to copy all of the .ty files back to the hard drive AND have space for all .VOB and .IFO files.

Ah crap. I never even thought of that. At the moment there is no way to do it. Sorry. I will work on adding something but I honestly planned it the way that it works. My disks are full too so hummm...

Oh. Duh. I was not thinking right. There is a way to do it manually for the very first part that will work.

Use VSplit something like this:

vsplit3 -k D:\file1.ty file1 junk

to make the key file. Then edit it in place on the hard drive. Then do something like this to create the vob file.

vsplit3 -c file1.cut -o D:\file1.ty file1 junk

And it will create the .vob and related files on your hard drive. Not as easy as using the GUI but it will let you do what you are wanting to do until I can get something in place in the GUI.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-27-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by jdiner
Ummm. Try running it by hand to see what happened. Like I said I just did a completely clean install on a machine that has never had any of this and it worked. I would expect that it would work.

I just looked through the source. That program is very simple and it shows none of the hard coded things I would expect would cause that problem.

Umm. Try this:

bmp2y2m menu.bmp menu.yuv

and see what happens.

--jdiner It can't find -- and can't see -- a file title bmp2y2m. If I substitute bmp2y4m instead, and link it back to the menu.bmp file created before I got the error described in my email above, I get the output:
1 720x480 YUV4MPEG frame writtern!

rpongett
05-27-2003, 01:58 AM
[i]Use VSplit something like this:

vsplit3 -k D:\file1.ty file1 junk

to make the key file. Then edit it in place on the hard drive. Then do something like this to create the vob file.

vsplit3 -c file1.cut -o D:\file1.ty file1 junk

--jdiner [/B]If I don't care about editing the file, can I just enter this to create a .vob file from an .ty file?

vsplit3 -o D:\file1.ty file1 junk

Also, is there a command line code list for vsplit3 (e.g., some place to see what the -o code does for vsplit3)?

jdiner
05-27-2003, 02:03 AM
It can't find -- and can't see -- a file title bmp2y2m. If I substitute bmp2y4m instead, and link it back to the menu.bmp file created before I got the error described in my email above, I get the output:

Sorry I meant bmp2y4m. I guess I have just typed too much today.

Ummm. Most like the error you got was because it could not write the destination. If it was a DVD-Rom like you mentioned that would be a serious problem...

As for the rest of it. Yes you can get a list of codes. Do "vsplit3 -h" and look at the usage text.

vsplit3 -o file1.ty file1 junk

will vob-mux the ty file into a file called file1.vob with length information in a file called file1.vob.chp (chp == chapters).

Then you can do with it what you will.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-27-2003, 02:08 AM
Ummm. Most like the error you got was because it could not write the destination. If it was a DVD-Rom like you mentioned that would be a serious problem...It wasn't. I've given up the .ty files from DVDs tonight. I have a few .ty files sitting on my hard drive to experiment on, and I'm using those.

I'm pretty sure its a directory handling issue. Tytool 7r1 and assorted files are in a directory on my c: drive. My .ty and .vob files are in a separate directory (on my e: drive, which is really the same hard drive).

I copied TyTool and all accompanying files to the directory with my .vob files. I then it ran it from there, and got some success -- it did past the bmp2m4y file issue.

However, now I get the error:
There was an error running DVDAuthor...
Please check the directories and library for it.And cygwin1.dll and dvdauthor.exe were copied (with all other files in your .zip file, including the new one) to the directory with my .vob files before running tytool7r1 from there.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 02:16 AM
As for the rest of it. Yes you can get a list of codes. Do "vsplit3 -h" and look at the usage text.When I do that, I get the following output:
C:\Robstuff\Tivo DVD\Tivo Apps\TyTool7\TyTool>vsplit3 -h
vsplit [options] <infile> <videofile> <audiofile>
Version: jdiner 3.01 Beta #1
options:
-v verbose
-V Very verbose (DTivo additions)
-j# Jump # number of chunks into the file before processing. (Quicker checks
of fixes...)
-l# Process # number of total chunks (once processing starts).
-n No output. Process as normal but don't save anything to disk.
-m Multiplex output. Results in a single MPEG-2 Program Stream.
(outputs in VideoFile, audiofile is needed but ignored).
-d Multiplex into (S)VCD sized PACKS (2324 bytes).
-k Build the edit KeyFrames file.
-c* Mulitplex using the cut list file '*'.
-p Produce seperate Mulitplexed files using the cut list file '*'.
-f Fix the frame order at a cut for Ulead tools (use with -p mode)!
-b Generate a VOB format mpeg file.
-h helpIt doesn't have a -o option. -b says "Generate a VOB format mpeg file." Should I use -b or -o?

BubbleLamp
05-27-2003, 02:16 AM
I'm using a modified verion of my old batch file to run vsplit and then GOPeditor. But now when it launches GOPeditor, I get an error that it can't find the key file, even though it is there. Do you have to pass something else to GOPeditor now besides the full path to the key file?

jdiner
05-27-2003, 02:17 AM
However, now I get the error:And cygwin1.dll and dvdauthor.exe were copied (with all other files in your .zip file, including the new one) to the directory with my .vob files before running tytool7r1 from there. [/B]

Yeah. That is why I wanted to wait for more feedback. By and large my shows have no spaces in the name. So it all worked for me. I just tried a show with space. And sure enough it died on me. I will be patching that and making a new release as soon as I can test it all a bit better.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
I'm using a modified verion of my old batch file to run vsplit and then GOPeditor. But now when it launches GOPeditor, I get an error that it can't find the key file, even though it is there. Do you have to pass something else to GOPeditor now besides the full path to the key file?

No. That is all that is needed. Try it by hand once and see what happens. I just verified that it still works and all worked as expected here.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
05-27-2003, 02:24 AM
No. That is all that is needed. Try it by hand once and see what happens. I just verified that it still works and all worked as expected here.

--jdiner

Got it. You are already saving the .key extension now, (I'm guessing based on command line position) and my bat file was still appending it, so it was coming out key.key.:eek:

Slowride
05-27-2003, 02:25 AM
First off, Thank you for all the hard work Jdiner... It is very much appreciated. One question, What version of the tserver_mfs should we be running with the new tool set?

Thanks so much,
Slowride

rpongett
05-27-2003, 02:27 AM
By and large my shows have no spaces in the name. So it all worked for me. I just tried a show with space. And sure enough it died on me. I will be patching that and making a new release as soon as I can test it all a bit better.OK, I just took the spaces out of the .vob and .vob.chp file names and ran it again.

This time, I got the error:
There was an error running DVD Author - T . . .
The Program was found it just didn't work.
Check the output file log.I'm not sure where the output file log is.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 02:48 AM
Success.

OK, I went back and deleted all spaces from the original .ty file and started over. I then created the .vob and .vob.chp files. I put all Tytool and related program files in the same directory with the .ty .vob files. I then created the .IFO files.

It worked.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 03:02 AM
This thing is fantastic.

Besides the minor fixes above (.vob files to different directory than .ty files and filename spacing issue), I have two suggested additions:

(1) AUTOMATED DVD STRUCTURE FROM .TY FILES - In the VOB-MUX menu, have an "automated IFO file creation" button option. Selecting this option would take all .ty files you've selected, create appropriate .vob files (as it does now), automatically assign menu element names for each of them based on their file name, and then select them all for processing to "IFO Files," that is DVD (Video_TS, Audio_TS) format. That way, one can select 4 gigs of .ty files and automatically create a burnable DVD structure, with menus, without having to mind the program.

(2) LONGER MENU ELEMENT NAMES - In my test file, the menu truncated the menu element name to something very shot (like 8 to 11 characters). There is no way to have show names and episode titles squeezed consistently in for anything under 30-40 characters (really more than that). That may require using a smaller font.

(3) VOB DELETION OPTION FOR (1) ABOVE - If an automated DVD structure option, such as (1), is added, then add a checkbox whwere one could select "VOB file deletion" such that the program creates each .VOB file, adds its data to the structure, then deletes the .VOB file before making the next .VOB File. The biggest use here is that it will free up about 3.5 gigs on everyone's hard drive that wants automated DVD creation. That is, one will have to set aside only around 10 gigs instead of 13.5 gigs right now (4.5 gigs for .ty files, 4.5 gigs for VOB files and 4.5 gigs for DVD directory struture files).

Norco
05-27-2003, 03:12 AM
Ahh, now I got it working. Those two bugs can really drive you up a wall if you dont know about them. All this works great, now I'll just have to do a little editing and put in different menus. All the rest of the work has already been done tho. Thanks jdiner!

donmc
05-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Excellent, process worked straight out of the box as described, once I'd removed the spaces from the filenames. I'm using a UK SA Tivo Series1

However (yes as always:) ) whilst the burnt DVD will play on PowerDVD on all PCs I've tried it, it wont play on:

PANASONIC 525 - Picture squashed up to left hand side. Not a suprise as unless you provide it with standard DVD resolution, nothing will play properly. Audio is palying at wrong pitch ie problem with sample rate? Again, doesn't suprise me as I have similar problems before.

XBOX - major downer :( Using UK modded xbox. Disk loads with DVD RegionX x2.0 and presents menu screen. Playback produces stuttering video and high pitched (possibly speeded up) audio.

Followed the burning instructions including switching on xbox compatability. Bummer!

On the upside, the vob file created during the process can be played using xbmp across the LAN so all is not lost.

Nice one Josh

captain_video
05-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Nice to see you again, Josh! I guess you were paying attention to all of those Southwestern Airline commercials (Want to get away?). I just got through reading the release notes and DVD and Menu Creation notes and I'm anxious to take your latest TyTools for a test drive when I get home this evening. I'm especially curious to see what you've done to get the output to behave better with the Ulead programs. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of DVDWS. I've been using it a lot lately and created some fixes and workarounds that gave me nearly 100% success rate when using mpegs from TyTool6r3 with DVDWS. I'm anxious to try your menu and DVD output tools as an alternative to SpruceUp for movies.

Here's (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24568) the thread with my findings if you're interested. So far I've only had one ty file that I've been able to edit and mux as a complete file without getting an error in DVDWS or having it get out of synch. Ironically, I can split up each segment as separate mpegs and they all play beautifully as individual files. If I try to recombine them using TMPGEnc merge & cut tools the audio gets completely out of whack. I'm firmly convinced that it's just a bad ty file and nothing I can do will fix it. I am curious to see how it behaves with your latest offerings though.

jdiner
05-27-2003, 11:41 AM
When I do that, I get the following output:It doesn't have a -o option. -b says "Generate a VOB format mpeg file." Should I use -b or -o?

I obviously put in too many hours yesterday. It is -b...

First the bmp2y2m and then that. I should have gone to bed earlier.

"O" is the keyboard shortcut in the TyTool interface. You would not believe how many times I have hit "alt-f-o" in the last month...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 11:43 AM
OK, I just took the spaces out of the .vob and .vob.chp file names and ran it again.

This time, I got the error:I'm not sure where the output file log is.

The output file and everything else to do with building the DVD is found in the selected DVD output directory.

The builds but does not use the make.bat file. It is just so that I could see what was going on. It was left so that you and anyone else could see what was going on too..

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Success.

OK, I went back and deleted all spaces from the original .ty file and started over. I then created the .vob and .vob.chp files. I put all Tytool and related program files in the same directory with the .ty .vob files. I then created the .IFO files.

It worked.

Yeah. In a few minutes I will be a posting a new version that can and will handle spaces. That was just dumb on my part. My test bed has all been renamed to make things easy to deal with and here is the result... :(

--jdiner

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Alright the first of several fixes is in place. Spaces will now work in the path to both the TyTool directory and the DVD output folder as well as in the vob/ty file names.

The worst part is that the gopeditor had the space protection in it. I just simply forgot as I was going through the rest of it. :(

--jdiner

rpongett
05-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Great. Your work on this is very much appreciated.

Did you throw in allowing different directories for inputting .ty files and outputting .vob files? So far, that's the biggest stickler to beginning to experiment, for example, with converting a 10 episode or so DVD of archived .ty files to a playable DVD. At least, without having to copy them all to my hard drive or going through a manual vsplit command for each file.

jdiner
05-27-2003, 12:45 PM
I am adding that part right now.

I took a moment to add being able to go all the way back up to the root drives for more complete navigation first.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-27-2003, 12:58 PM
:D

I'm about to start "testing" this thing on hundreds of .ty files starting tonight when I get home from work. I'm going to start trying mass conversion of my DVD .ty archives (about 45-50 DVDs worth) to playable DVDs.

koreth
05-27-2003, 01:02 PM
I tried this on a couple episodes of a miniseries. The VOB creation went swimmingly, but the menu items don't seem to be selectable -- I can get the menu to show up in both PowerDVD and WinDVD but neither my arrow keys nor my mouse clicks cause my menu items to highlight or to jump to the movies I assigned them to in the setup dialog.

But I actually consider that pretty low priority, since I can successfully feed the VOBs into DVDlab and make my menus there. Yay!

Any chance GOPEditor could be made to write DVDlab-compatible .chp files?

akeogh
05-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by donmc

Audio is palying at wrong pitch ie problem with sample rate? Again, doesn't suprise me as I have similar problems before.

X
Nice one Josh

The audio needs to be converted to 48Khz I recall.

Used Bsweet when version 6.1 first came out but I cannot recall how I split out the audio stream.

Can anyone remind me how to do it on a .TY that is already on the PC.

Then how can I persuade Tytool 7 to process the resultant files into DVD format?

Josh, any chance you could accept .tmf files directly rather than having to extract the .TY from them first? The reason being that I intend reloading all files which "fail" in Tytool 7 back into my Tivo so I can see how it actually handles them. My tmf archive now totals 730GB so that's a lot of extraction!

My first test file pixelates in quite a few places (much more so than with TyStudio B3) so I am currently putting it back onto Tivo for comparison

This is a UK series 1 Tivo :(

Nice to see that you are back.

captain_video
05-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Well I got home a while ago and tried out the latest TyTool7r1. I've been going nuts for the past few weeks trying to get one episode of Babylon 5 to process in DVD Workshop but I kept getting errors or synch issues every time I processed it. I've tried splitting, muxing, editing, remuxing and every other damn thing I could think of (and many I couldn't think of thanks to other members here) but nothing worked. Well, I figured, what the heck. Let's take this new TyTool out for a spin and see what she can do. So I threw my problem child B5 episode at it and guess what? IT WORKED!!! I edited all the commercials out and muxed it with TyTool7r1 and it waltzed right through DVDWS like it was nothing. I didn't even have to remux it with TMPGEnc to make sure it stayed in sync. I burned it to DVD and everything is hunky-dory.

I then tried it on 5 different Seinfeld episodes, another B5 episode, and both 2-hour segments of the Hitler mini-series and every one of them stayed in perect synch without remuxing. Now I'm going to run the Hitler mini-series through DVDWS and see how it goes (the 2nd part caused DVDWS to choke the first time I tried it).

Josh, I don't know what you did to make the output files work better in DVDWS but you've got my vote for Man of the Year! That damn file was making me crazy! It looks like you took a page out of Arnold's book and said "I'll be back" and then kicked butt on your return. YOU DA MAN!!

PSUtivo
05-27-2003, 06:57 PM
jdiner,

Thanks for the program. I've made 3 perfect DVDs with this version so far.

I'm getting an error when I try to make a key file for a certain ty stream. I get this error at chunk 511 or 512:

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 101 (65 0 ff ff)

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 151 (97 0 6 80)

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:03:27.916
BBB the PTS was bad, but the new SEQ check lines up|!?
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:00.036
It is in sequence... Everything is fine...

At this point TyTool stops and I have to close and restart the program to process more ty files.

I'll include a verbose level 3 txt file of TyTool's output at around this chunk.

I'm extracting from a Series 1 SA 3.0.

Thanks!

PSUtivo
05-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Sorry, here's the file.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Do you guys know if teh version posted above has fixed teh filename spacing and directory issues yet (or if Josh is going to post that later)?

I have a few pretty screwed up .ty files archived on DVD that I want to have it give it a try on. They include sections of truly messed up video where the Tivo was hanging while it was recording and doing other things (like recoding a second program while streaming .ty files to me and the now showing list to another computer). Video where, when played through my Tivo, just hangs still for 5 seconds, then a few blocks move a bit with white noise audio, and then it actually goes 10 seconds back in time on the clip and plays the blockiest 5 seconds of video you've ever seen, then clears up completely for the rest of the program. STuff like that. If it can handle that, it can handle anything coming out of my Series 1 DTivo.

BubbleLamp
05-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Do you guys know if teh version posted above has fixed teh filename spacing and directory issues yet (or if Josh is going to post that later)?

I have a few pretty screwed up .ty files archived on DVD that I want to have it give it a try on. They include sections of truly messed up video where the Tivo was hanging while it was recording and doing other things (like recoding a second program while streaming .ty files to me and the now showing list to another computer). Video where, when played through my Tivo, just hangs still for 5 seconds, then a few blocks move a bit with white noise audio, and then it actually goes 10 seconds back in time on the clip and plays the blockiest 5 seconds of video you've ever seen, then clears up completely for the rest of the program. STuff like that. If it can handle that, it can handle anything coming out of my Series 1 DTivo.

I don't think he's posted the next rev yet.

PS Note to Josh, it would help everyone if you posted the latest to the beginning of this post each time if possible, so people won't have to keep searching through the growing thread to find it.

tards
05-27-2003, 09:04 PM
I keep getting "unable to connect".

I've tried tserver_mfs5 and 6...neither work. And there is no new tivo-side app in the new package and no instructions on what version to use.

Can anyone help?

Fugg
05-27-2003, 09:26 PM
tyserver_mfs6 is the most current, it's the one to use on a series one anyway. There's a mips version in the files sticky for the series two's.

When you telnet to your tivo to start ./tserver_mfs6, does it start and say at the end:
"Waiting for an incomming connection!" ??

Are you sure you have your tivo's ip address in the "Tivo Address:" window?

:confused:

btw, I've been updating the "Where are the files?" sticky thread with the current tytool releases as they come out. It may save you a little digging in the future if you just looking for the release files.

tards
05-27-2003, 09:37 PM
.HERE (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13992) is the version on NowShowing that seems to work. There are a couple of versions out there. This one seems to work

Generiq
05-27-2003, 10:33 PM
jdiner,

Too cool! This works awesome!! The only complaint I had was it made my day at work so freakin' long as I waited to get home and play - haha!

I had a suggestion for a feature in GOPEditor - I thought in an earlier post I had seen you reference Virtualdub (just that you were familiar/comfortable with the interface) and I recalled a cool feature that program has. It has a search that finds the next 'black' frame and that tended to be right before/after a commercial break. It made it very easy to mark your edits - just a thought.

Thanks again, chief!!

ronnythunder
05-27-2003, 10:44 PM
ok, i'm so close, yet so far. i'm getting the error that rpongett was getting (error running bmp2y4m) but there's no log file, no make.bat, nothing. when i run bmp2y4m manually it works fine.

i tried copying the files to the dest dir, but that didn't work either. any ideas?

thanks,

ronny

Tuuv
05-27-2003, 10:54 PM
I am getting an error when pressing the "make iso" button. It reads:

"There was an error running DVDauthor...
Please check the directories and libraries for it."

The file DVDauthor.exe is in the same dir as tytools and I see dll file Cywin1.dll as the only hidden file.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 11:02 PM

The file DVDauthor.exe is in the same dir as tytools and I see dll file Cywin1.dll as the only hidden file.

Any thoughts?I'm pretty sure you're trying to process a .ty file with a space in its name.

This is a problem which has all of my testing on hold because my .ty files are archived on DVD and I obviously can't change the names of files on a DVD before creating .VOB files from them (I also can't do it because of the directory error discussed above). Both minor software problems that pretty much halt all DVD based .ty file testing.

Jdiner mentioned above that he fixed the problem, but I don't think he posted the tytool files with the fix yet tonight. I'm waiting for that post so I can start the testing. I have large numbers of DVDs waiting to go.

If you happen to have a .ty file sitting on your hard drive, you can still do some testing on those by manually changing the name to take out spaces. Note, you must do this BEFORE creating .vob files (because the .vob file index works off the original .ty file name). Then process accordingly.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 11:07 PM
ok, i'm so close, yet so far. i'm getting the error that rpongett was getting (error running bmp2y4m) but there's no log file, no make.bat, nothing. when i run bmp2y4m manually it works fine.

i tried copying the files to the dest dir, but that didn't work either. any ideasTry putting all of the tytool and associated files in the same directory as your .vob files, not the directory where you're writing your ready-to-burn DVD files.

ronnythunder
05-27-2003, 11:07 PM
ok, looking better now. instead of manually copying the files to the dest dir, i just unziped the entire zip file plus the muxmenu update zip into the dir, and it's doing the dvdauthor right now. the files were in my path, so i don't know why it couldn't find them.

oh well, a small price to pay. great job, jdiner. if these tools work on the tys that i'm trying right now, your status as a god will be further affirmed. :)

ronny

rpongett
05-27-2003, 11:13 PM
We urged him (see above) to made the beta version generally available early to unearth problems such as these.

It seems to be working, as their are a large number of users of all varieties using the program and finding little problems.

The great news is that the core engine of the program seems to perform marvelously at its required task -- producing burnable DVD file strutures from .ty files. It was the giant leap we've been waiting for for almost a year. The fixes seem to all center around peripheral issues, like processing file name spaces and saving .vob files to a different directory than where .ty files are located.

bato
05-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Tuuv

This happen to me also, I just changed my vob and vob.chp filenames to 1.vob 1.vob.chp, 2.vob 2.vob.chp and so on and I was able to press the make Iso button and create the DVD structure ok.

rpongett
05-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by bato
This happen to me also, I just changed my vob and vob.chp filenames to 1.vob 1.vob.chp, 2.vob 2.vob.chp and so on and I was able to press the make Iso button and create the DVD structure ok. Now that's interesting.

I tried this and it didn't work. I think, because the .vob.ch files refer back to the ORIGINAL name of the .vob file.

Instead, I had to change the .ty file name (to something without spaces) and recreate the .vob files accordingly. Then it worked perfectly.

bato
05-28-2003, 12:09 AM
This is the .bat file I use to drop the ty for processing:

c:\tytool\vsplit3 -k %1 %1 %1
c:\tytool\GopEditor %1.key
c:\tytool\vsplit3 -b -c %1.cut %1 %1 %1.mp2

So I guess if you have your .ty in DVD you need to change the above to output to a hard drive, let's say f:

c:\GOPEditor\tytool\vsplit3 -k %1 "f:\%~n1" %1
c:\GOPEditor\tytool\GopEditor "f:\%~n1.key"
c:\GOPEditor\tytool\vsplit3 -b -c "f:\%~n1.cut" %1 "f:\%~n1" "f:\%~n1"

So if you ty is in d:\my episode.ty the above code will call vsplit3 and generate f:\my episode.key, then call gopeditor and when you save it will be f:\my episode.cut, then you process again with vsplit3 to generate vob and vob.chp and the filename will be f:\my episode.vob and f:\my episode.vob.chp, so no need to wait to a newer tytool for this. EDIT: well a new tytool is here, but maybe someone can use this bat./EDIT

I think dvdauthor doesn't work with spaces in the vob files, so it is better to rename the vob and vob.chp to remove the space between words.

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Sorry for the delay in posting the new version. I got it all done, tons of fixes for things, and then the power went out here. They are doing lots of construction around here and it looked like the road crew hit something major. The stop lights in town were out and everything. :(

But I am back now and going to make a new post. It will change things around a bit in the first page of this thread and put the latest bins there if I can a bubblelamps request.

Here is the release note test for the 7r2 version:

1- Patched TyTool to look for GopEditor in the same directory and then on the path. Like the DVD creation stuff...

2- Put wrapping quotes around anything with a path so that either the filenames of the location of the tyTool directory or even the DVD output folder can have spaces in it. It is going to bite someone you can just tell.

3- Added a directory selector dialog to the menu creation dialog. Helps to make sure you always point to a good directory.

4- Added output directory setting features to the file menu of the main window. This is saved in the .ini file and puts the processed files, in anyway mux'ed/key/vob'ed etc..., into the select ed selected directory. (rpongett owes me big for that one... :)

5- Re-fixed the whole "spaces are allowed" thing. Some major issues with the system() function call under win32. Switched to a real Win32 way to do it with processes. Everything now works again and it is faster without the dos/system interface in the middle.

6- Weird bug work-around. The text rendering function I used to make the menu images freaks out on the "&" character and renders and underscore. You have to double it, i.e. "&&", and then it will render right.

7- Added support to the navigation windows, for picking directories and files, for going all the way to the root of the drives list. You can pick network drives that are already mapped or anything else up-to-and-including the floppy. But good luck on getting anything to fit on it but a .cut file. :)

8- Fixed a bug with opening up to a directory that was there in the past but no longer exists. You now get the ".." parent directly flag and can move back as far as is needed to locate existing directory structures.

9- Got rid of an annoying popup message when using GopEditor.

--jdiner

bato
05-28-2003, 12:15 AM
I created a 2 vob DVD and when played with PowerDVD the first VOB play ok, chapters every 5 min ok, when it ends it loops back and start first VOB again.

When I select the second VOB plays ok, but chapters do not work, and when it ends PowerDVD stops.

So my questions are:
- why chapters work in first VOB and not second VOB?
- why video loops in first VOB instead of going to menu or next VOB?
- why second VOB ends and PowerDVD stops instead of going back to the Title menu?

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:25 AM
Ok. The latest version is posted near the bottom of the first page. I will continue to post new versions there.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by PSUtivo
jdiner,

Thanks for the program. I've made 3 perfect DVDs with this version so far.

I'm getting an error when I try to make a key file for a certain ty stream. I get this error at chunk 511 or 512:

Crap that is the audio fill in code. Something is getting seriously smashed. Hunh. Never saw that one before. Please cut out the bad section for me and I will take a look at it.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Tuuv

Any thoughts?

A great many things could cause this. The path being off. There being a space in the path either to the dvdauthor binary or in the output directory for the DVD file set. Try the new version. All of that has been solved.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:37 AM
I created a 2 vob DVD and when played with PowerDVD the first VOB play ok, chapters every 5 min ok, when it ends it loops back and start first VOB again.

When I select the second VOB plays ok, but chapters do not work, and when it ends PowerDVD stops.

So my questions are:
- why chapters work in first VOB and not second VOB?
- why video loops in first VOB instead of going to menu or next VOB?
- why second VOB ends and PowerDVD stops instead of going back to the Title menu?

What version of PowerDVD are you using. I have PowerDVD Pro EX 4.0 and this never happens to me. I can play them with both PowerDVD and WinDVD without these problems.

I have build a dozen tests with 5-7 shows each one having chapters and nothing gets off. I know that doesn't really help you except that you can try using a newer version of the program etc...

However I know you were working things over with a batch file etc... The chaptering is based on files output by both Vsplit and TyTool during the Vob-Mux'ing process. It is possible you did not get the first file and in so doing you would not get any working chapters. Beyond that... all I can say is try doing it all through the new version of TyTool and see if your problems persist.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:40 AM
We urged him (see above) to made the beta version generally available early to unearth problems such as these.

It seems to be working, as their are a large number of users of all varieties using the program and finding little problems.

The great news is that the core engine of the program seems to perform marvelously at its required task -- producing burnable DVD file strutures from .ty files. It was the giant leap we've been waiting for for almost a year. The fixes seem to all center around peripheral issues, like processing file name spaces and saving .vob files to a different directory than where .ty files are located.

Look. I will still working on the core system right up until I made the first release. Give me a break here. It works well. There have been a few growing pains but with the sheer number of changes and upgrades I would have expected even more serious ones than what we have seen honestly...

--jdiner

ronnythunder
05-28-2003, 01:04 AM
jdiner, great work thus far. i have good news, bad news from my first try. good news: i was able to make a fileset from a couple of ty files that had failed to work on any of the other tools. no matter what i did with all of the other tools (and i tried everything, believe me) the audio sync was off by five minutes into the three+ hour long show.

however, the fileset produced by tytool7r1/dvdauthor is in perfect sync on powerdvd, the chapter stops at the cutpoints are flawless, everything is great.

until i actually put the disc in my standalone dvd player (pioneer dv-250). i've never made a disc that this player couldn't play, but i finally have one. :)

the menu comes up and works (i can select a title to start playing) however, when i select a title, it puts the first video frame up, and the audio plays for a second or two, then the audio stops also. at that point, the video is (still) frozen, there's no audio, but the timecode is still counting, as if it were playing.

also, when i go to the chapter stops, it repeats this over: the first frame of the new chapter is put up as a still, the audio plays for a second or two, then it stops.

both the fileset and the dvd play fine on powerdvd; i don't have another dvd-r(w) capable dvd player, so i can't doublecheck that way.

any ideas? i know this probably isn't enough info, but i don't know how else to describe it.

ronny

zobetron
05-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ronnythunder
...when i select a title, it puts the first video frame up, and the audio plays for a second or two, then the audio stops also. at that point, the video is (still) frozen, there's no audio, but the timecode is still counting, as if it were playing.

also, when i go to the chapter stops, it repeats this over: the first frame of the new chapter is put up as a still, the audio plays for a second or two, then it stops.

both the fileset and the dvd play fine on powerdvd; i don't have another dvd-r(w) capable dvd player, so i can't doublecheck that way.

I've seen this same thing before... in my case the dvd player was choking on the audio (an invalid ac3 track). It would play fine in powerdvd but not the standalone dvd player.

You may have an audio issue. What kind of TiVo are you extracting from?

bato
05-28-2003, 01:28 AM
What version of PowerDVD are you using. I have PowerDVD Pro EX 4.0 and this never happens to me. I can play them with both PowerDVD and WinDVD without these problems.

I'm using PowerDVD XP 4.0

I made a test with 3 ty files all processed with tytool7r2, and all 3 files keep the chapters every 5 minutes, so I guess I did something wrong before, but when I play the videos the first one at then end loops so it start again, the second and third at the end PowerDVD stop playing them.

What happen in your tests? PowerDVD return to title menu, go to the next video or what?

rpongett
05-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Look. I will still working on the core system right up until I made the first release. Give me a break here. It works well. There have been a few growing pains but with the sheer number of changes and upgrades I would have expected even more serious ones than what we have seen honestly...

--jdiner Absolutely. I was amazed by the same, and I probably didn't make that clear in my post. Truly remarkable. This thing is just chewing through ty files and spitting out burnable DVDs. I was just pointing out that you asked if wanted an immediate release yesterday, a bunch of people said yes, and that that's the reason we were part of teh process to help clear up some initial non-substantive program issues.

As an update for my test runs with 7r2, I know at least the directory issue is working for me as it churned through a packed DVD of archived .ty files right now creating .vob files in a different directory. As an FYI, it seems to be going at about 2MBs per second (don't know if that's faster or slower than expected). The filename space issue seems to not be problematic as its creating a DVD structure now. When if finishes, I'll burn the DVD and try to play it. If it works, I'll do TestDVD#2 right after that with some much more nasty ty video quality (where the Tivo received interference during the recording process).

Again, I could not be more pleased with the product and your efforts. Thanks so much for doing it.

dlang
05-28-2003, 01:36 AM
unfortunantly when I try to download the new version from that post on the first page I just get the docs zip file even though the text of the post has changed

rpongett
05-28-2003, 01:49 AM
That's weird.

That link just changed. It was teh right link before.

jdiner
05-28-2003, 01:51 AM
until i actually put the disc in my standalone dvd player (pioneer dv-250). i've never made a disc that this player couldn't play, but i finally have one. :)

the menu comes up and works (i can select a title to start playing) however, when i select a title, it puts the first video frame up, and the audio plays for a second or two, then the audio stops also. at that point, the video is (still) frozen, there's no audio, but the timecode is still counting, as if it were playing.

any ideas? i know this probably isn't enough info, but i don't know how else to describe it.

Sadly no. It sounds like something that the DVDAuthor tool is doing you wrong. I didn't write that part of it. I just make sure I was as close to spec and possible.

If it plays in PowerDVD then that is the best I can do for you. It means that the output is close "to a valid dvd". How close I can't say...

You might want to try DVDlab as some others have suggested. In it's latest incarnations it seems to do a good job on things. However is uses an SDK that produces output that would not play in any fashion on some of my players: Panasonic, Mintek (1 expensive and 1 cheap...) I have no idea what will happen with your pioneer.

I am sorry I can't be of more help. I have noticed some strange things between hardware players. They all claim to be right on spec and that is not even remotely true. The menu changes colors dramatically on my JVC players but is "true" on my pioner apex and mintek players.

So who knows... Perhaps a future release of DVDAuthor will solve the problem for you.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 01:54 AM
I made a test with 3 ty files all processed with tytool7r2, and all 3 files keep the chapters every 5 minutes, so I guess I did something wrong before, but when I play the videos the first one at then end loops so it start again, the second and third at the end PowerDVD stop playing them.

What happen in your tests? PowerDVD return to title menu, go to the next video or what?

Ah cool. Glad it works for you now.

There is a bug in DVDAuthor. I want it to go back to the menu. But it seems you can't. If I try it works in WinDVD and crashes PowerDVD. It also "crashes" my hardware players. It is set to repeat. I have also noticed that only the first show works and repeats. It is part fo the DVDAuthor tool and not something I can fix in short order.

I just hit the menu button and it goes back to that after it sits on the machine background image. inconvenient but not a real issue to me personally. Hopefully the release or 2 of dvdauthor will solve the problems I and you and other have seen so far...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by dlang
unfortunantly when I try to download the new version from that post on the first page I just get the docs zip file even though the text of the post has changed

Umm it is still the right link here for me. Maybe the editing to keep it on the first page is not that great an idea.

If you still can't get to it let me know and I will repost it in the sticky thread or somewhere else to make sure people can get access to it.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 02:02 AM
As an FYI, it seems to be going at about 2MBs per second (don't know if that's faster or slower than expected).

That seems a little slow honestly. But I noticed that when I had a file on a CD and parsed it from there that it was slower. The read speed really seemed to have an impact. Which was a real bummer. I put it on my hard drive but that really only "feels" faster as it still reads from the cd/dvd drive at the same speed.

--jdiner

dlang
05-28-2003, 02:04 AM
ok, it looks like a browser bug with mozilla firebird. Il have to see if I can reduce it caching or something (and probably file a bug report as well)

rpongett
05-28-2003, 02:04 AM
I should also point out that this is on a laptop with a 900Mhz P3 (not exactly screaming).

Also, that Tytool7r2 link is also coming up as a doc.zip file for me, too, now (unlike earlier, when I obviously downloaded it successfully and am using it).

BubbleLamp
05-28-2003, 02:05 AM

Right click on it and do a Save Target As. Sounds like you're looking at your browser's cached file data.

rpongett
05-28-2003, 02:13 AM
I have been right-clcking and selecting save target as. Even though the link says Tytool7r2, it only gives me the option to save "tytool7_docs.zip." And wehn you download the file, it only contains the two zipped doc files.

It doesn't really effect me -- I already downloaded 7r2 successfully earlier.

dlang
05-28-2003, 02:34 AM
I was able to download it with a different browser and after I manually cleared the cache for firebird it got the right file as well

PSUtivo
05-28-2003, 03:56 AM
Crap that is the audio fill in code. Something is getting seriously smashed. Hunh. Never saw that one before. Please cut out the bad section for me and I will take a look at it.

--jdiner

Here's a link to a ty file containing chunks 505 - 520 of the offending stream.

http://www.jtso.com/tivo/andyerror.ty

Thanks!

rpongett
05-28-2003, 04:00 AM
I finished burning a 10 file disk. The file structure on my hard drive (pre-burning) ran fine in PowerDVD.

After burning, the DVD doesn't play on my 2 year old Playstation2 DVD player. Note that other DVDs I've burned from Tivo through Spruce and Maestro consistently do run on that player. So that was kind of surprising.

It also doesn't play on the DVD player that came with an IBM Thinkpad I have (don't know what the software is but its a dedicated DVD player, not Windows Media Player or RealPlayer). Again, other Spruce and Maestro DVDs I've burned play on that player.

It also won't play in the ATI "Multimedia Center" I have on the machine from installing an old ATI USB TV Wonder card. I've never tried to use that before. It just kind of popped up as an option so I tried it. However, individual VOB files do actually play in that ATI Multimedia Center viewer.

The burned disk also plays using PowerDVD, so the burn itself physically went OK.

I should add:

(1) I've heard before something about players having problems with 10 different VOB files (or more) in a set. I have no idea if that's causing a problem here.

(2) In Nero, I chose UDF/ISO format, but my UDF tab didn't have an option to make it "XBox Compatible" (per the TyTool docs). My Nero version may be old. It has not been a problem before using my Playstation2 as a DVD player.

(3) The disk had over 4 gigs of data on it, so it was nearly full.

snoopy
05-28-2003, 05:22 AM
Umm it is still the right link here for me. Maybe the editing to keep it on the first page is not that great an idea.

If you still can't get to it let me know and I will repost it in the sticky thread or somewhere else to make sure people can get access to it.

--jdiner

Maybe a sticky "jdiners FILES ONLY" thread No discussion allowed. I think this would be most helpfull to people.

captain_video
05-28-2003, 08:07 AM
I noticed a little quirk in TyTool7r1 (I haven't downloaded r2 yet) that wasn't in TyTool6r3. When I select Edit Keyfile(s) from the pulldown menu, the bottom window in TyTool indicates that the edit is in progress but doesn't progress beyond this initial status. It wasn't until I noticed that a new GOPEditor window had opened up behind the TyTool window that I realized something was different. I had to close the GOPEditor window before the TyTool window would show that the keyfile edit was done. The old TyTool just had a small dialog window with a Close button on it to signify that the keyfile had been edited. I'm wondering why the change was made? I found this to be confusing at first since the window opened up in the background and it wasn't something I had expected to see.

Fugg
05-28-2003, 08:46 AM
First off, Thank you, Josh!:)

Second off, I've been keeping the links updated for the new TyTools as well as anything else I can find in the sticky:
Consolidated Links Thread (aka. Where are the files?) (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23816)

It had the links to the new tytools(and a link to this thread) in it's own section within 30min of the initial release!!
I promise I'll do my best to keep it updated.

I've seen posts pointing out where the files are and suggestions to where they should be, when they've been in the file sticky the whole time....

Have I listed something incorrectly in the sticky??!?!?

If so, TELL ME!!!!!! I'll do my dangedest to fix it!!

Josh:
Do you plan on updating the NoDvd version of the release? (it still has 7r1 in it)

ronnythunder
05-28-2003, 11:51 AM
rpongett, can you elaborate further on "won't play"? does it not even recognize that it's a dvd, or does it get farther than that? any chance that it's similar to my situation?

some other info about my situation:

i'm extracting from a dtivo and using mpeg audio (no conversion). i've made close to 100 dvd-r using tytool6/tmpgenc/dvdmf/nero and tystudio/tmpgenc/dvdmf/nero and other variations, and they've all worked, so i don't think it's an audio issue.

jdiner, thanks for the info. i wonder if there are some options to dvdauthor that might make a difference? i might have to look at that.

i think another thing i'm going to try is using ifoedit to "mess around" with the completed fileset to see if it makes a difference.

please, if anyone else encounters issues like mine, please post your player make and model.

thanks

ronny

jdiner
05-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
I noticed a little quirk in TyTool7r1 (I haven't downloaded r2 yet) that wasn't in TyTool6r3. When I select Edit Keyfile(s) from the pulldown menu, the bottom window in TyTool indicates that the edit is in progress but doesn't progress beyond this initial status. It wasn't until I noticed that a new GOPEditor window had opened up behind the TyTool window that I realized something was different. I had to close the GOPEditor window before the TyTool window would show that the keyfile edit was done. The old TyTool just had a small dialog window with a Close button on it to signify that the keyfile had been edited. I'm wondering why the change was made? I found this to be confusing at first since the window opened up in the background and it wasn't something I had expected to see.

Wow. I have never had it open in back. But I got rid of the popup because it annoyed me. It was actually a debug left-over the first time around. So as I was cleaning I removed it. I suppose I could put it back. But I wonder how many people found it annoying or conversely like having it there.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-28-2003, 12:59 PM
rpongett, can you elaborate further on "won't play"? does it not even recognize that it's a dvd, or does it get farther than that? any chance that it's similar to my situation? I did some more testing. I have a DTivo series 1 and I'm working off of archived .ty files originally downloaded using tytool 6. I'm using Tytool 7r2 to go from .ty files to a burnable DVD structure, and Nero to burn (selecting UDF/ISO option). There are 10 .ty files (Simpsons episodes) that I'm burning to a DVD here (just over 4 gigs).

As an FYI, the old tytool-Spruce/Maestro DVDs I burned last fall worked on all of the DVD players below (not perfect sync, of course, like Tytool7r2 with DVD author delivers).

Here is how the disk I just burned using 7r2 (and built with its DVD author tool) did:

Playstation 2 DVD Player - The menu won't even come up. I get a "Disc Read Error." (but the disk is good, see below). This is disappointing because that player had been a decent guage re how other generic players will play items. I just tried again an old DVD I burned a few months ago, and it worked fine in it (so the player isn't broken).

Power DVD - works on two computers on which I've tested it. Full switching between menus and video works, and chapter advance seems to hold throughout the process. Also shows that the burn physically produced a workable disk.

Mediamantics DVD Express (came on one of my computers) - I get a working menu, but the video freezes within the first 2-3 seconds when I try to play a file. This is also disappointing because its the cheap software player that comes on a lot of computers, like IBM Thinkpads. This plays my other DVDs of Tivo video burned through Spruce/Maestro.

WinDVD - worked great on the one computer on which I tried it.

In sum, it seems to be working on hardy computer players but not on other players that successfully run the Spruce/Maestro burned video. In its current form, that functionally doesn't do a lot for me, as I'm burnign these to be able to watch them on my standalone player (PS2) and to be able to give DVDs of shows to friends.

Just to be sure, I downloaded the newest version of Nero (one with the "force video compatibility" option the Tytool7r2 docs discuss) and set it up this morning to burn another copy of the same file structure. I'll try the result in all players tonight to see if I get the same results.

If that doesn't work, I wonder if I'd have better luck importing the Tytool7r2-created .vob files into an outside program. Anyone know of one that will take them without readjustment such that they maintain perfect sync (as Tytool7r2 does)?

captain_video
05-28-2003, 01:31 PM
But I wonder how many people found it annoying or conversely like having it there.

I didn't particularly find it annoying but it did come as a surprise. I was sitting there patiently waiting for the little pop-up window that never came. It's not a big deal but I was just curious as to whether it's supposed to work this way. Based on your response I'm assuming it is. Either way I have to close out a window to complete the key file editing process. The smaller pop-up window was actually easier if I was processing multiple ty files because all I had to do was hit the Enter key repeatedly to close the windows. The current method requires that I close each GOP Editor window manually. It's not meant to be a gripe but more of an observation of something I hadn't seen before. I'm perfectly happy with whatever method you want to use. Now don't make me feel guilty for bringing it up. You've already done so much to advance this hobby that I'd hate to think I was ever bashing you in any way.

Sauron
05-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Wow. I have never had it open in back. But I got rid of the popup because it annoyed me. It was actually a debug left-over the first time around. So as I was cleaning I removed it. I suppose I could put it back. But I wonder how many people found it annoying or conversely like having it there.

--jdiner

I hated the popups going from GopEditor and Back... Was just 2 more buttons to push everytime....

bato
05-28-2003, 03:41 PM
You changed what it was recording in the middle and you are surprised that things get out of sequence? All I can say to that is "well... duh!"
Well today I tested again and now all works great!!!

I recorded a movie in Spanish by changing to the channel and then change the audio to Spanish. Other tools can't handle this ty, even if I cut the start with the audio change. Today I used tytool7r2 with the shorter ty and the original ty and the end result (after editing with GOPeditor the start) I get a perfect sync with Spanish audio.

I recorded the same movie in English used tytool7r2 and perfect sync also.

Then I used GOP fix tool from the latest mpeg2vcr, demux the files with it, then used IFOedit to mux 1 video with the 2 audio files, the result is a VOB with both English and Spanish audio files and perfect sync in both. Too bad Maestro show GOP sequence error when I try to import the video.

One interesting detail is that Spanish audio is at 128kbps and the English is at 192kbps. That's why it sounded a little flat, more compression.

jdiner, thank you very much for this. Now a question, do you know why Maestro complain that much with the GOP sequence and do you have a fix in the to do list? ;)

EDIT I just did a test without using GOP fix tool with mpeg2vcr, only demux with it, again perfect sync in both audio tracks, so this saves time and space (GOP fix tool adds around 10% the video file size) /EDIT

ronnythunder
05-28-2003, 04:13 PM
rpongett, sounds like we have similar problems. i've been thinking, and i've some up with some ideas. i'm going to take some known, perfectly working mpeg streams (including some that weren't made with a tivo) and try the mplex/dvdauthor process alone, i.e. totally bypassing tytool/vsplit. if i still get the same problems, obviously dvdauthor is the culprit. if it works, then i start asking nicely to jdiner :)

ronny

rpongett
05-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Good idea.

It might be the DVDauthor-created menu from the Tytrool7r2 data that is screwing up players like the one on my Playstation2. Like I said, my PS2 won't even load up the menu (gets a "disc read error" even though the DVD plays in other readers and the PS2's DVD reader reads other disks). On the other hand, Mediamantics DVD Express loads the menus, but then chokes on the video files.

On burning, Jdiner was also pretty specific that he used Nero, with the UDF/ISO option and the "force video compatiability (fox Xbox)" box checked off. The version of Nero I used last night didn't have the force compatibiilty box. After upgrading this morning and burning a new copy, we'll see what happens on that front.

ronnythunder
05-28-2003, 04:26 PM
for what it's worth, my version of nero has the "force dvd-video compatibility" checkbox, and i still have the problem.

oh well, i'll be heading home in an hour or so, and i'll start plugging away at it.

ronny

05-28-2003, 07:26 PM
There is a program called image tool http://www.coujo.de/
(requires a registered copy of nero) that allows you to burn a compatable DVD without using Nero. It's easier to use and automatically selects the right options.

The force dvd compatability mode prevents you from burning a DVD of less than a certain size.

tlphipps
05-28-2003, 08:09 PM
I would just like to say that I LOVE these tools. I've been quietly lurking and using these tools (vsplit, tytool, etc.) for quite awhile.

After the release of tytool6 you had alluded to incorporating code which would take care of the audio conversion for those of us with Standalones. What's the current status on this?

I would love to be able to fully test this new release, but I haven't figured out how to get the audio converted and still use tytool to create the vobs, etc.

Right now I'm stuck using the tools up to the point of creating the mpg file. After that I have to demux and transcode the audio after which I'm stuck with separate audio and video files. I suppose I could simple multiplex in tmpengenc and then try running it through tytool. Anybody have any experience with this or other ideas on the issue?

tards
05-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Dumb question....how do I load a locally-stored .ty file? It always tries to access the Tivo IP, but I want to process a local file.

Thanks

rpongett
05-28-2003, 08:16 PM
When you actually try to mux a .ty file, it opens a file selection box that can move amongst directories -- it doesn't make you select from the TIVO via its IP. Select and add whichever files you'd like processed on your drives, then click process.

Make sure you're using Tytoo7r2 rather than 7r1.

bato
05-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by tards
Dumb question....how do I load a locally-stored .ty file? It always tries to access the Tivo IP, but I want to process a local file.
TyTool7r2 - File - Make key file or other option that you want.

jdiner
05-28-2003, 08:23 PM
It might be the DVDauthor-created menu from the Tytrool7r2 data that is screwing up players like the one on my Playstation2.

Technically I create the menu and mux everything together. It works for me on everthing I have that will read the disk. I do not have mediamatics or I would try it with that here and see what I could find out about it all.

What is the exact make and model of your DVD player...

On burning, Jdiner was also pretty specific that he used Nero, with the UDF/ISO option and the "force video compatiability (fox Xbox)" box checked off. The version of Nero I used last night didn't have the force compatibiilty box. After upgrading this morning and burning a new copy, we'll see what happens on that front. [/B]

Without that option many of my hardware players won't recognize the disk at all. With it they all do.

The 2 players I recommend after all of my hardware testing are:

Panasonic S35
and
JVC N40

Both are progressive. Both do color oversampling with really helps with the long DTivo GOPs. And both are less than $100.

I will help with the problems as I can. But we should all remember that it is a "reverse engineered" process. Not something written by someone with the DVD specs in front of them. It is not only possible but probably that things are simply wrong it.

What I liked was that for $70 I got a JVC at UE that plays everything I have made perfectly.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Well. The power was out for the 4th time in 4 days. I haven't built anything new at all for release tonight. Sorry I had plans for some good stuff to come out. But not going to happen now... :(

--jdiner

bato
05-28-2003, 08:42 PM
jdiner, don't worry, we have plenty right now to keep us busy. Just make sure you have it ready so we can play this weekend, ok? :D

rpongett
05-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Well. The power was out for the 4th time in 4 days. I haven't built anything new at all for release tonight.

--jdiner Yikes! World's worst utility company problems or something else?
I do not have mediamatics or I would try it with that here and see what I could find out about it all.Mediamantics DVD Express is some extremely basic looking DVD software crap that comes on laptops -- or, at least, two different IBM Thinkpads I've been issued at work in 2001 and again on another just two weeks ago. Its probably some kind of proprietary IBM release, as it has "IBM Thinkpad" stamped about its skin. In any event, its played my other Tytool->Spruce created DVDs for the last 8 months or so.
What is the exact make and model of your DVD player...My standalone is just a Sony Playstation 2 plugged into my TV set. It has dutifully played everything I've created from Tytool->Spruce over the past 8 months.

I've also tested it using various software players on a Dell and two IBM Thinkpad laptops. I've thrown PowerDVD on my current Thinkpad so I can play it myself, but I'd like to be able to give DVDs to other people to watch.
Without that option many of my hardware players won't recognize the disk at all. With it they all do.The players I've used haven't required that so far. We'll see what happens when I test DVDs burned with it tonight.
I will help with the problems as I can. But we should all remember that it is a "reverse engineered" process. Not something written by someone with the DVD specs in front of them. It is not only possible but probably that things are simply wrong it.I'm also wondering if some of the problem doesn't stem from the Ifogen/DVDAuthor tool into which the .VOB files are imported. Like I said before, all of my players before worked with Spruce/Maestro. The difference here might be the DVD file structuring tool, not the .VOBs Tytool creates. Obviously, just gross speculation on my part.

JG24
05-28-2003, 09:31 PM
First of all, I would like to say thanks jdiner! This tools are great. I do have one problem. I have a standalone series 1 Philips tivo.

I have two problems.

I used tyStudio for my first attempt to extract the ty files. I used it to install tyServer. The problem is that I can not get tyTool to connect to the tivo. I get the "Failed to Connect" error. I tried uninstalling tyStudio and rebooting both the tivo and my WinXP computer. I'm sure the ip address is correct because tyStudio connects and displays the "Now Showing".

To get around the above problem, I extracted and used the "save to pc first" option in tyStudio. Then I used the "Process single file option" in tyTool. I followed the rest of the directions to create the DVD output (audio_ts and video_ts folders). I then used ImgTool to create the img file. Finally I used RecordNow to burn the img file.

The results are:
1. In my PS2 the video plays fine with no jitters, however there is no audio.
2. In my APEX AD-1200 I get perfect audio but the video is all jitters.
3. On my computer, using WinDVD the dvd plays perfect (audio & video).

I've read the entire thread and did I miss a step. Since my ty file comes from a standalone series 1 tivo, do I have to convert it to 48khz?

Thanks in advance for the help.

captain_video
05-28-2003, 10:17 PM
I finally tried the DVD creation functions in TyTool7r2 and I gotta say it's a real sweet deal! I was a longtime SpruceUp supporter for creating quick and dirty DVDs with basic menus and chapter stops but TyTool7r2 beats it hands down for simplicity. I just made a DVD of Jackass-The Movie (hey, my son likes that crap) and it worked like a charm. I had tried authoring the same movie several times previously with both SpruceUp and DVDWS but I always got GOP errors or some other stupid problem that hosed up the compilation.

I also ran the Hitler two-part mini-series through it and it compiled without a glitch. This was another problematic ty file that wouldn't compile in DVDWS. It was weird because each individual episode would author fine by themselves but DVDWS would choke when I tried to compile the two together. Both DVDs played fine in my Sony player. I especially like the automatic chapter stop feature since I usually include chapter stops at 10-minute intervals in all my DVDs.

I can't wait to see what Josh is going to do next with the menu features. I would like to see some text options (i.e. varying fonts & sizes). Graphics would be nice but for basic discs the text-only feature is fine. If I want to get real fancy I'll author with DVDWS.

rpongett
05-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by JG24
I followed the rest of the directions to create the DVD output (audio_ts and video_ts folders). I then used ImgTool to create the img file. Finally I used RecordNow to burn the img file.

The results are:
1. In my PS2 the video plays fine with no jitters, however there is no audio.
2. In my APEX AD-1200 I get perfect audio but the video is all jitters.
3. On my computer, using WinDVD the dvd plays perfect (audio & video). (1) That generally tracks my experience -- that is, that it works on hardy software players (like WinDVD and PowerDVD) but not my PS2 or non-hardy software player.

(2) How did you get it to play video on your PS2??? I'm curious about this. I've struck out now in two attempts on a DVD even getting the menu to come up on my PS2. What software is your PS2 DVD running?

(3) Jdiner's doc files didn't mention creating an "image", then burning the image to DVD. That adds an extra step. It just said to burn through NERO a UDF/ISO format DVD with the folders Vidoe_TX and Audio_TS. What burning software did you use? Had you tried using NERO before? (if so, did it work)

bato
05-28-2003, 10:27 PM
I can't wait to see what Josh is going to do next with the menu features. I would like to see some text options (i.e. varying fonts & sizes). Graphics would be nice but for basic discs the text-only feature is fine. If I want to get real fancy I'll author with DVDWS.
Hey cap, we are in the same boat, this stuff is too sweet. Sometimes I want fancy, I just did My Fat Greek Wedding with 1 video and 2 audio tracks with tytool7, IFOedit and DVDlab. This is great! The movie is only 1.25GB for 90min video with Spanish audio at 128k and English at 192k (why so low and the East coast networks are more than double that?), so I can fit maybe two movies more in the same DVD. I just have to burn a +RW and try it.

rpongett
05-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Sweet is an understatement. This thing is fantastic. It is basically exactly what I've been looking for since I started extracting -- .ty all the way to DVD structure with simple menus and absolutely perfect sync.

If I can just get the final product to play on my standalone and work computers simple software player, it will be an unfettered 100% bullseye in every respect. And that's even before any cool menu options.

osetivo
05-28-2003, 11:03 PM
HALLELUJAH!

TyDVD with 4 episodes of Coupling with commercials edited out and a Menu with chapter marks at the cuts playing on my Standalone Sony DVP S550D (DVD\CD\Video CD) Sync'ed all the way through and glitch free playback.

This is exactly what I and many others have been hoping for. Anything more is gravy. I'm absolutely giddy.

Thanks Josh, job well done.

Quick, to the Seinfeld archives....

TyTool7r2
HP RecordNow
HP DVD200i DVD+R
Sony DVP S550D DVD Player

ronnythunder
05-28-2003, 11:16 PM
ok, here are some preliminary results from my tests. i'm still going, but i thought i'd toss out what i have so far.

1. non-tivo mpeg, prepped with mplex -f 8, dvdauthor with no options.
result: this made a auto-play dvd with no menu, which worked fine on powerdvd and the pioneer standalone

2. same non-tivo mpeg, mplex -f 8, copied to a second file, dvdauthor with menu and args (only one chapter stop) from make.bat.
result: this made a dvd with a menu that was fully functional, and both mpegs played fine on all players

3. reburned the tytool7/dvdauthor fileset from last night to another piece of dvd-rw media, just to make sure that it wasn't some kind of media problem.
result: same freezing problem as last night, i.e. problem was reproduced on a different piece of media.

4. using "vobs" created by tytool7, edited make.bat, remove all but first chapter stops in each vob, processed with make.bat
result: fileset plays fine in powerdvd (but the other ones did also), but has the same problem on the pioneer

5. use tytool7 to multiplex tys into mpegs, process with mplex -f 8, run dvdauthor manually.
result: in progress

i do have some additional info that i saw while testing, but i'll post it in a different post.

ronny

ronnythunder
05-28-2003, 11:21 PM
when i was looking over the cmd window after processing the tytool7 vobs in dvdauthor, i noticed some potentially interesting messages. here's a cut-and-paste:
INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing d:\img\devs36\devils2003_3_6pt1.ty.vob...
WARN: unknown aspect ratio 0GCS, 0:20:38
WARN: unknown frame rate 2
WARN: attempt to update resolution from 704xfull to 720xfull; skipping
WARN: unknown aspect ratio 7 PGCS, 0:53:47
WARN: unknown frame rate 7
WARN: unknown aspect ratio 10PGCS, 1:59:10
WARN: unknown frame rate 5
STAT: VOBU 4546 at 2789MB, 1 PGCS, 2:02:46
INFO: Generating VTS with the following video attributes:
INFO: TV standard: ntsc
INFO: Aspect ratio: 4:3
INFO: Resolution: 704x480
INFO: Audio ch 0 format: mp2/2ch, 20bps

STAT: fixed 4546 VOBUSspecifically, the warnings look a little interesting. the "unknown aspect ratio" and frame rate message pairs appeared each time dvdauthor started a new output vob (my original mpg/"vob" was almost 3gb); the resulting fileset had three vobs for the first mpeg and one for the second.

jdiner, do these messages mean anything to you?

ronny

jdiner
05-28-2003, 11:53 PM
See I knew I should have made this thing Shareware for the DVD menu stuff and output while people where excited and before they found any bugs. *sigh* :D

Anyway, back to the grind of problem solving.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 12:00 AM

INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing d:\img\devs36\devils2003_3_6pt1.ty.vob...
WARN: unknown aspect ratio 0GCS, 0:20:38
WARN: unknown frame rate 2
WARN: attempt to update resolution from 704xfull to 720xfull; skipping
WARN: unknown aspect ratio 7 PGCS, 0:53:47
WARN: unknown frame rate 7
WARN: unknown aspect ratio 10PGCS, 1:59:10

specifically, the warnings look a little interesting. the "unknown aspect ratio" and frame rate message pairs appeared each time dvdauthor started a new output vob (my original mpg/"vob" was almost 3gb); the resulting fileset had three vobs for the first mpeg and one for the second.

jdiner, do these messages mean anything to you?

Do they mean anything to me? Yes and no. I know what the text is and what it is refering too. Resolution is set the video ES sequence block etc... But I have run a dozen tests and nowhere in the stream is there a SEQ header that tries to set it to anything but 480x480 from a DTivo. The SA Tivo has many many other options.

I have assumed that the code was just trying to lock onto a byte sequence that looked like the Sequence header and as a result found something that it did not like. But I can't be sure of that. I have not been able to Identify where exactly in the input it is showing messages like that.

But as a frame of reference I see them constantly in my output as well but everything for me plays perfectly. So I have been ignoring them to a large extent. I suppose some work is due there to try and see exactly what is really going on and what is causing the issue. I suppose it could be something that is fixable.

But the DVDAuthor code while sweet in it's output is uncommented and complex to say the least. Rather than fill structures and write them the author just does a bunch of bit tweaking and then writes en mass to the disk. Hard to follow to say the least.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-29-2003, 12:00 AM
After trying to process and burn 10 .ty files of varying names with 2 minute chapter spots last night -- with varying success depending on the player -- I tried test #2 tonight.

My Test#2: Take a single .ty file (650 MB), name it something simple ("1"), create a .vob file then make a DVD structure, telling it to put chapter stops only where edits were (non-existent, i.e., no real chapter stops). Then burn it. Results:

Playstation 2 - Won't even load the menu. Like the last two burns. When pressed (by pressing enter after it does nothing after it boots), again, it tries to read and comes up with "Disk Read error." But it plays all of my Ty->Spruce burned DVDs fine.

Power DVD (on both computers- Plays perfectly.

Mediamantics DVDExpress (software player that comes on IBM Thinkpads) - like with the other burns, the menu pops up, but the screen freezes after 2 seconds or so into any video.

WinDVD (one one computer) - plays perfectly.

So I've burned 3 disks now with the exact same results. The last with only 1 program, no chapter stops and an original file name that can't have screwed anything up ("1").

I might try to install and mess with DVD author to see if it can burn conventional DVD files readable by my PS2 or Mediamantics DVDExpress players.

jdiner
05-29-2003, 12:11 AM
You could also try making a DVD with no menu, using just what I have provide, and see what that does. If you are interested I will explain how to use DVDAuthor to make that happen.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Ah. Just in case here you go.

How to make a DVD with no menu at all.

Simplest possible format:

1- dvdauthor -o <output dir> -f file.vob
2- dvdauthor -o <output dir> -T

That is literally it.

Make a vob file. Call it what you will. Let's assume test1.vob for the following 2 lines. Lets also assume a directory that is simple:

1- dvdauthor -o c:\dvd1 -f test1.vob
2- dvdauthor -o c:\dvd1 -T

That will make a disk with no chapters. Only 1 vob and it will auto-play with no menus on startup.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-29-2003, 12:23 AM
Will do. Its doing it now.

While its doing that, will DVDAuthor only take .vob files, or are there commands to make it process regular mpeg files. I.e., a non-Tivo created files, like video I captured with a capture card. (is this what the above referenced "mplex" is for)?

jdiner
05-29-2003, 12:26 AM
No. It won't take mpeg files. It has to have the vob "holes" in it as it just writes to them. It does not mux anything which is why it is perfect for what we are trying to do.

mplex -f 8

is the multiplexor from the mjpeg peoples. That is the setting that will cause it to make a .vob file. Sync will not be maintined in a tivo source with it but it is decent for simple tests of things...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 12:34 AM
Ok. More testing results but they are not really helpfull.

I altered TyTool and vsplit to go through each video record as I get it from the TyStream looking for the sequence (01b3) to see if there were some that were buried and not right. Nothing that was bad. Nothing at all in over 2 hours of video in this movie.

Then I just went through a 2 hour movie that reports a half dozen or so issues with frame rate at the output video ES level and neither the resolution size or the frame rate code ever changes or gets corrupted. And this straight from the output file that dvdauthor is processing.

Weird. So there are no "extra" ones it might latch onto and no corrupted ones. So there must be a bug in dvdauthor itself. Time to start looking through that tool.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Ah ha. It is a bug in the dvdauthor stuff.

Picture it like this: Smaller boxes inside of larger ones. In this case 3 of them. Pack is the largest box, PES inside that, and DATA as the smallest.

Pack
PES
Data

In the case of the "bad" prints than ronnythunder and I found the code is just doing a raw search from the start for the header code: But here is what is happening.

PACK: 00 00 01 BA 44 75 44 7C D4 A1 00 5E 17 F8

PES: 00 00 01 E0 07 EC 88 00 00

Data: 01 B3 50 8E 95 5B 32 EC C3

But if you run the last 2 completely seperate entities together you get:

00 00 01 E0 07 EC 88 00 00 01 B3 50 8E 95 5B 32 EC C3

Which looks like a 00 00 01 b3 sequence header but isn't so it will contain bad data. That problem can be cleared up in the DVDAuthor tool so that there are no false-bad prints. But it is not affecting what is going on with our problems as it is always being skipped.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 01:17 AM
The coming changes just to wet peoples appetites a bit deal with the GopEditor tool.

It will finally have the support for:

1- editing an existing cut.
2- For dropping out of the playback anything that has been cut.
3- For jumping to the beginning and ending of a cut.
4- Play a cut start to finish.
5- Play all cuts in sucession.

etc... Just things designed to make it easier to use.

Also thought further support is not done yet. It has a mechanism for adding chapter points directly. So that they can be in places besides just the cut points.

I have one really grandious plan for some point in the future that I can implement and that I think will be sweet to have but will be a fair amount of reworking of things:

And that is be able to load up and play back in quick fashion every frame between I frames. This would make it easier to determine a cut point. I.e. how much more real show is there... That type of thing.

Any thoughts on this last idea?

--jdiner

rpongett
05-29-2003, 02:20 AM
I like being able to play I-Frames in between GOPs to determine length. PowerDVD does something like that when moving frame by frame (only forward) and I just used it to select a still pic I wanted. Besides working on player compatibility, my most pressing request on the DVD end would be too decrease the menu font size (dramatically) to permit 2-3 times longer titles. Right now, I can get in teh words "The Simpsons-" and about 2-3 characters at the most. If you did that, you could get 12 titles in vertically on teh screen. I've put together Menus in DVD Maestro like that and they're very easy to read.

Alright, back to the player compatibility issue: Test #3: Use ONLY DVDauthor to make one .vob file into a playable DVD with zero menus.

Playstation 2 - still no go. Same as before.

PowerDVD - plays fine, as before

Mediamantics DVDExpress - no menu to pull up this time, but it still freezes 2-3 seconds into the video

WindDVD - played perfectly.

I'm going to try to use mplex to mux some non-Tivo files to .vob, then load that into DVDauthor and burn another menuless DVD to see if anything at all from DVDauthor works on PS2 or Mediamantics DVDExpress players.

dlang
05-29-2003, 02:30 AM
the idea of being able to quickly play the frames between I frames sounds like a great idea, would this be the same thing as telling vsplit to cut everything but that section, or do you have something that would be significantly faster then that? (unless you have the key file store offsets into the .ty to identify where the I frame came from Im not seeing an easy way to reliably speed it up much)

David Lang

Generiq
05-29-2003, 03:01 AM
...with 1 video and 2 audio tracks with tytool7, IFOedit and DVDlab. This is great!

I've never messed with multiple audio tracks - how do you get them out of the Ty? Does TyTool do that for you?

rpongett
05-29-2003, 03:44 AM
Compatibility Test #4

I took a 9 meg MPEG file not taken from Tivo, split it then used MPLEX to create a .vob file. Then used DVD author to create a DVD file structure with no menu to burn to DVD.

Playstation 2 - Still no go. Read Disc error

Power DVD - worked perfectly again

Mediamantics DVDExpress - actually worked -- however, it was running fast. Just a little fast, but fast (voices noticeably higher). It maintained sync throughout the 45 second clip.

WinDVD = worked perfectly again.

I think DVDAuthor (unlike Spruce and Maestro) just appears to produce DVDs that won't play on my PS2 or entirely coorrectly on DVDExpress. It doesn't appear to be a Tytool .vob issue, except that it atleast played (although too fast) in DVDExpress.

snoopy
05-29-2003, 04:21 AM
I don't think he's posted the next rev yet.

PS Note to Josh, it would help everyone if you posted the latest to the beginning of this post each time if possible, so people won't have to keep searching through the growing thread to find it.

NO Kidding!
We love your tools Josh. Not a complaint, just a suggestion.

bato
05-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Generiq
I've never messed with multiple audio tracks - how do you get them out of the Ty? Does TyTool do that for you?
I'll post better info after doing some more tests.

I recorded the movie twice (I wanted to record at the same time with both tuners but that was not possible, damn Dtivo), once in Spanish once in English. TyTool7 was able to get the Spanish audio track without problems (no other version/tool can do this right now), so I ended with 2 VOBs for the same movie one with Spanish and one English. Demux the VOBs, then author in IFOedit to join the 2 audio tracks to 1 video track. Then "rip" in IFOedit to only have 1 VOB file (VTS_01_1 and not 2 because the movie is over 1GB). Import that VOB into DVDlab, put chapter points, create menu and author. Final DVD has no audio (DVDlab bug, at least it must show the first track). Edit the IFOs with IFOedit to enable both audio tracks. Plays great with PowerDVD, menu works, chapter points works and I can change from English to Spanish any time and the sync is perfect. This is fun :D

Once again, without TyTool7 nothing above will be possible.

bato
05-29-2003, 07:56 AM
The NowShowing.tcl link posted here do not work for me, I guess that's because I'm still at 2.5.2. If you are, take a look at the sticky where Fugg point to noshowing updated by jdiner.

bato
05-29-2003, 10:43 AM
I was able to make the movie The Wild Thornberrys Movie with 2 audio tracks in it. It's not that hard when you do it a second time. I tried Minority Report but the tys were bad (too many holes in it).

My final test will be to put Greek Wedding and this one in one DVD+RW and test in a player. If all goes well, I'll post a detailed way to do this.

This information, I think, can be followed to make a DVD with menus with DVDlab, just not use the second audio if you do not want it. It seems a lot of work, but is not, and if you want graphics in your menus is a good way to do it.

giancarlo
05-29-2003, 10:58 AM
I gave 7r2 a try last night and generated a perfect DVD right out of the box. 4 titles, commerical edits, perfect sync. Everything worked fine on my standalone players (Panasonic RV32, Panasonic CV51). Outstanding!!!!

One question - if I wanted to convert MP2 to AC3, what is the best way to interpose BeSweet into the process if I want to maintain sync? I'm tempted to leave well enough alone and stick with MP2 since both of my players handle it fine. Prior to 7r2, I used vsplit standalone and a demuxing prog to output video/audio (couldn't get vsplit to output demuxed files), Besweet, then IFOedit. I would prefer to stick with the Tytool interface, especially when processing and VOB-muxing multiple titles.

Many thanks, Josh. I hope you realize how many of us appreciate everything you've done thus far.

ronnythunder
05-29-2003, 12:36 PM
5. use tytool7 to multiplex tys into mpegs, process with mplex -f 8, run dvdauthor manually. ok, i have the results from this test now, and it's getting curiouser and curiouser.

to recap what i did:

used "multiplex file(s)" option in tytool7 with previous .cut and .ty
used tmgenc simple demux on resulting mpg (mplex must have seperate audio and video files)
used mplex -f 8 to create "vobs"
hacked make.bat to use these "vobs" and menu previously created with tytool7
the three dvdauthor calls created the fileset

i tried the fileset on powerdvd, worked like a champ. i then burned them to dvd, and tried it in the pioneer. it worked! picture and audio were perfect, and even in sync, which was something i could never get prior to tytool7.

so, i'll try to summarize what i see. the process, at a high level, looks like this:

1. ty must be converted to multiplexed mpg with vob packets ("psuedo-vob")
2. the "pseudo-vob" (mpg with empty vob packets) is converted to "true vob" by dvdauthor
3. menu is added by dvdauthor (specifically, the menu created in tytool7)

with the "vob-mux file(s)" option, step 1 is an atomic operation. with "multiplex file(s)", an mpg is produced without the vob packets, and must be processed again by mplex -f 8 to add the vob packets (let's call it steps 1a (vsplit) and 1b (mplex)).

when i did my fifth test above, i duplicated all of the steps of "vob-mux file(s)" followed by "create ifo files/dirs", with the exception of using mplex for step 1b instead of the corresponding logic in tytool7.

thus, my conclusion (for better or worse) is that the problem lies in the process of producing the "pseudo-vobs" with "vob-mux file(s)". if i do this step with another tool, it seems to work. of course, there is the issue of having to simple demux and remux using the mplex method, so perhaps this affects the process.

ok, i'm just rambling now, so i'll give back the soap box. comments, anyone?

ronny

ronnythunder
05-29-2003, 12:36 PM
here's another interesting bit of trivia:

i gave the dvd that wouldn't work to a friend who tried it on his sony standalone. interestingly, the disc worked, in that it had video that moved and audio that played.

however, he reported that the aspect ratio was wrong, and in fact, that the rightmost "about 25%" of the screen was blank and the picture was "squished" into the left 3/4 of the screen (in other words, it wasn't cut off, it was compressed, making people look tall and skinny).

the thick plottens...

ronny

dlang
05-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Ronny, it sounds like your friends DVD player went ahead and played the video at 480x480 on a 720x480 or 640x480 mode, resulting in the squished picture.

that's an issue that you aren't going to be able to solve on that DVD player without recoding it to the higher mode. tytool is expressly working to avoid recoding the video so it's probably not going to work well with that player

ronnythunder
05-29-2003, 12:55 PM
dlang, understood. i just thought it was interesting that his player "played" (for some definitions of "play") the disc, where mine would not.

ronny

rpongett
05-29-2003, 01:06 PM
thus, my conclusion (for better or worse) is that the problem lies in the process of producing the "pseudo-vobs" with "vob-mux file(s)". if i do this step with another tool, it seems to work. of course, there is the issue of having to simple demux and remux using the mplex method, so perhaps this affects the process. I don't think that's the same problem I'm having playing on my Playstation2 DVD player or Mediamantics DVDExpress software player.

I tried just tried taking a small non-Tivo MPEG file (9MB, 30 second or so clip), demuxing it with TMPGEnc, using mplex -f 8 to create a .vob file, then using DVD author to create the file structure (no menus) and burning it. In other words, absoltuely nothing Tivo or Tytool-related -- just a straight up test for DVDauthor on my players. No dice even with that on the PS2 or DVDExpress (well, it played in DVDExpress, but the speed was about 15% too high). But the disk works fine, as has everything else, on PowerDVD and WinDVD.

So I think the problem with my players is DVDauthor, not TyTool (Spruce and Maestro created DVDs work fine on both players).

ronnythunder
05-29-2003, 01:19 PM
rpongett, i was going to mention that before, but my other post ws getting too long. i think our problems, though similar, have kind of diverged. seems like i can make good dvds with dvdauthor (good = plays on my standalone) but you can't.

jdiner - please understand that i am still thrilled with your work, and i appreciate what you've done. although a bit convoluted, i do seem to have a way to take advantage of the superior vspliting of tytool7, which is a big improvement. i'm not, in any way, trying to knock you or your tools; it's just that, my situation is fairly generic, and i've got to believe that someone else will have problems like this, so i'm only trying to provide data to help get things fixed. despite my test results, the problem could still lie in dvdauthor; it doesn't matter, as long as we get it fixed.

ronny

superscan
05-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by osetivo
HALLELUJAH!

TyDVD with 4 episodes of Coupling with commercials edited out and a Menu with chapter marks at the cuts playing on my Standalone Sony DVP S550D (DVD\CD\Video CD) Sync'ed all the way through and glitch free playback.

osetivo-

What type of media are you burning to? I have the exact same player and I'd like to get an opinion on what to use.

Thanks

osetivo
05-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Superscan:

DVD+R, I think it was the Purple Label Memorex kind. (I'll double check at home)

I really didn't expect it to work. Player is a couple of years old.

Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Oops it's Verbatim DVD+R

bato
05-29-2003, 04:20 PM
I like and want some fancy menus in my DVDs, so I'm working in ways to do this, you maybe read my posts before that I was able to create 1 video with 2 audio VOBs and make it work in PowerDVD with perfect sync, so for people that do not want extra audio track the process is simpler, I used TyTool7r2, IFOedit 0.95 and DVDlab 1.1. Here is the process:

- Process ty, create VOB and IFO files/dirs with TyTool7r2, this way you'll get all IFOs and VOB files for the movie with perfect sync.
- now use IFOedit, open VTS_01_0.IFO, clic VOB extras, I put a mark in "Rebuild PTS..." and changed "VOB Size:" to No split, selected a directory and press OK, now we have 1 VOB called VTS_01_1.VOB that we can use in DVDlab
- now use DVDlab to import the VOB, do not demux, set chapter points, create menu, submenu, etc. and build DVD, the resulting directory will contain some VOBs and IFO files, if you open this DVD directory in PowerDVD you will hear no sound, is time to fix that.
- run IFOedit open VIDEO_TS.IFO file then change:
VMB_VTS_ATRT - VTS_1:Number of audio - 1
VMG Overview - Change AC3 to mpg audio
Save and check the changes
- open VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_PGCITI - VTS_PGC_1 - Audio Stream 1 Status - 32768
same as above for all VTS_PGC_x
VTSI_MAT - Number of audio streams in VTSTT_VOBS 1
Change from AC3 to mpeg audio (same as above)

Now you can reload into PowerDVD and have perfect sound, menu, chapter points, ...

Generiq
05-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Can you scan forward and backwards? I saw your other post about not being able to do that with PowerDVD and was wondering if that first edit in IFOedit fixes that.

Any chance you could post what the IFO file looked like before and after your edits on the lines you edited?

Thanks!

Stephen
05-29-2003, 05:50 PM

Not to be a pain Bubblelamp but does anyone ever read the stickys??

bato
05-29-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Generiq
Can you scan forward and backwards? I saw your other post about not being able to do that with PowerDVD and was wondering if that first edit in IFOedit fixes that.

Any chance you could post what the IFO file looked like before and after your edits on the lines you edited?

Thanks!
If I use VOB generated files directly from tytool7 into DVDlab, then I can't FF/RW and can't put any chapter point, well actually they are there but do not contain good information, so that doesn't work, I guess DVDlab want some NAV information that jdiner left blank for this release. Also DVDlab have a problem and can't find the audio, so no audio is set in the final IFOs.

If I use IFOedit to create only the IFOs for a VOB file generated with tytool7, I can get audio, but can't FF/RW, didn't check the chapters.

If I demux the VOB and create a DVD directory (IFOs, BUPs and VOBs) in IFOedit with these files, I can get audio with perfect sync, can FF/RW.

If I use tytool7 to create the DVD directory, I can FF/RW, chapter points works and I have a menu.

If I use IFOedit to rip the DVD directory to get 1 VOB only with the No split option, then I can use that VOB with DVDlab and FF/RW works, chapters works but no audio, that's why I need to edit those values with IFOedit. The values are set at 0, so I changed them to 1 in most cases and 32768 in one value. When you activate audio it defaults to AC3, so I need to chage that to mpa (Coding mode mpeg1 in Ifoedit), I change also the channels from 1 to 2.

Let me end my tests with a true DVD tested in my player and I'll go back the process and take some screen captures and upload those.

JG24
05-29-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm still having problems playing the discs in my standalone player. I followed the directions perfectly to create the dvd. I'm extracting the ty files from my series 1 phillips standalone.

My results are as follows:

1. Plays perfectly on my WinXP computer using Windvd 4.
2. Serious audio and video jitters in my Apex AD-1200.
3. Plays perfect video but no audio in my version 5 PS2.

I'm going to try and find another standalone player to test my dvd. Is anyone else using the Apex AD-1200?

Thanks in advance.

jdiner
05-29-2003, 10:54 PM
the idea of being able to quickly play the frames between I frames sounds like a great idea, would this be the same thing as telling vsplit to cut everything but that section, or do you have something that would be significantly faster then that? (unless you have the key file store offsets into the .ty to identify where the I frame came from Im not seeing an easy way to reliably speed it up much)

David Lang

No. I don't want VSplit to make key files that contain everything. I have some very clever tricks in mind for that that go way beyond just saying "The TyFile is here..." to make it work. I will explain a bit later as I get further into it.

--jdiner

Norco
05-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I myself have come to the conclusion that if you want ~100% compatibility, you have to re-encode. I know most people do not want to take this path, which is fine if you are the only one that uses the DVDs. But I often make copies for friends and such, and so compatibility becomes a larger issue. Jdiner has done a terrific job although with developing the latest set of tools. I can quickly extract a show, chop out commercials, and create a error free mpeg ready for encoding in relatively no time at all. This previously wasn't possible as easily done, even tystudio has some odd quirks with not being able to chop at certain GOP's.

jdiner
05-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by giancarlo

One question - if I wanted to convert MP2 to AC3, what is the best way to interpose BeSweet into the process if I want to maintain sync?
Dude this is going to be problematic at best. You would have to do it inline inside of TyTool and I don't do that yet.

What would be nice is if there was a library out there or something like it. Rowan on here was doing some MP2 stuff before but I never actually got around to using it and then it went into TyStudio.

The problem is that demux'ing is the first step and any commercial cutting with kill that. BAD!

Then you would compress the file in the new format.

Then you have to mux it back. Again this is BAD!

I built TyTool to allow pluggins at any stage.

I have can multiple types of splitters to get support for Dish Tivos (someone here asked me for that. I don't remember who though...) And I just started talking to some more people at UTV support.

The the cutting error correcting stage in the middle.

And then the mux/vob output stage at the end.

It would be seriously easy to add audio conversion, and or more correction, in the middle stage. I just don't have the time or the desire to figure out AC3 encoding on my own.

I have plans to plug in the Rowans stuff. I continue to talk with him about it off and on as an external plug in. But it is only useful for people with really non-standard players or with SVCD in mind. Sadly neither of these people is me... :)

--jdiner

colin
05-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Tytool7r2 worked first time as advertised.
What a releif not to have to worry about sync errors anymore.

Did have some weird freezeing when playing in my DVD player.
Would stop and the DVD timer would continue on for 10 seconds, then jump back to the freeze time and continue from there.
Anybody else seeing this ?
Seems to be sprinkled around the show.

Looking at the VOB in the area of interest, the GOP times seem fine. and the PTS's seem fine.

bato
05-29-2003, 11:29 PM
How to create a DVD with graphics menus with TyTool7, IFOedit and DVDlab.

TyTool7:
I think by now you can extract your ty from the Dtivo, so the next step:
1- Make Key File
2- Edit Key File
3- VOB-Mux File
*If you want to create a 2 audio VOB, then do steps 1-3 again for the movie in Spanish, then demux the VOBs created with TyTool7, and jump to the 2audioVOB section
4- Create IFO Files/Dirs (see tytool7_001.gif)
5- Pick Files to VOB Multiplex (tytool7_002.gif)
6- Make Menu (tytool7_003.gif)
- select VOB
- select Menu Element
- choose ISO location
- fill Menu Title
- change Element Title
- select VOB link
- press Set Item
- press preview and you will see your menu (tytool7_004.gif)
- press Make ISO
7- Now you have a directory with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder and in VIDEO_TS folder some IFOs, BUPs and VOBs
8- go to IFOedit rip section

2audioVOB:
This is only needed if you want to create a VOB with 2 audio tracks, if not go to IFOedit rip section
1- Open IFOedit and select DVD Author - Author new DVD (2audioVOB_001.gif)
2- select video file, then first audio track and then second audio track (2audioVOB_002.gif).
- the files are from the demuxed VOBs made in TyTool7 section
- you can select the audio language but is not needed
- no need to set Chapters
- select destination
3- now you have IFOs, BUPs and VOBs in the destination directory

IFOedit rip section:
This section is to "rip" the DVD directory we have on the hard drive so we can end with only 1 VOB file so we can import that into DVDlab
1- select VTS_01_0.IFO from the DVD directory (IFOrip_001.gif)
2- press VOB Extras (IFOrip_002.gif)
3- check Rebuild PTS, change VOB Size to No split and select the output directory
4- you can remove the mark in AutoCopy Menu-files to destination because we don't need them, we only need the final VTS_01_1.VOB file that you can rename to picture.vob so we don't end overwriting a previous VTS_01_1.VOB file

DVDlab:
Download DVDlab version 1.1, import your picture.vob and do not demux it, author your menus, submenus, chapters as always, then compile the DVD.
You will end with an empty AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder with VOBs, IFOs and BUPs. If you run PowerDVD and select to run DVD on hard disk and select the generated VIDEO_TS.IFO you will not get audio, but if you play the VOBs you will hear the first audio in the VOB. To fix this you need IFOedit once again.

IFOedit:
1- run IFOedit and open VIDEO_TS.IFO file, select VMB_VTS_ATRT section and scroll down until you get what you see in IFOedit_001.gif, change the value from 0 to the number of audio tracks in your VOB (1 or 2)
2- select back the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in IFOedit so you get to VMG Overview section, select the audio tracks because the default is AC3 and most of the time we don't have that (IFOedit_002.gif)
3- change the values from IFOedit_003.gif to IFOedit_004.gif
4- if you Save/Load the IFO you will see changes with the logo and information, much like IFOedit_005.gif (this is for 2 audio tracks, for 1 you only see 1 line), answer yes when it asks to update the BUP file
5- now open VTS_01_0.IFO, go to VTSI_MAT and change the number of audio streams from 0 to 1 or 2 (IFOedit_006.gif)
6- then go to VTS_PGCITI section and go to VTS_PGC_1, here you need to change the Audio stream x status (IFOedit_007.gif)
- if you have only 1 audio track change audio stream 1 status to 32768
- if you have 2 audio tracks then change audio 1 to 32768 and audio 2 to 33024
- see IFOedit_008.gif
7- go back to VTS_01_0.IFO section and you will see the audio tracks in the VTS overview page (IFOedit_009.gif)
8- change the values just as before so you will end with something like IFOedit_010.gif (the image is for a 2 audio VOB file)
9- remember to save you IFO and answer yes to update the BUP file
10- now you can play again with PowerDVD and you will have audio now
11- if you have 2 audio tracks you can change the audio in PowerDVD, for English you will see ENG in PowerDVD (IFOedit_011.gif) and for Spanish ESP (IFOedit_012.gif)

That's it. I hope this is useful.

If you find errors/shortcuts/fixes... you know what to do :D

jdiner
05-29-2003, 11:30 PM
I have not seen that on the players I kept. But I have seen it on others. It seems to have something to do with the output from DVDauthor.

Not much I can do to fix that at this point.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Norco
I myself have come to the conclusion that if you want ~100% compatibility, you have to re-encode. I know most people do not want to take this path, which is fine if you are the only one that uses the DVDs. But I often make copies for friends and such, and so compatibility becomes a larger issue. Jdiner has done a terrific job although with developing the latest set of tools. I can quickly extract a show, chop out commercials, and create a error free mpeg ready for encoding in relatively no time at all. This previously wasn't possible as easily done.

You are are 100% absolutely correct. Much of the problems we have here are that things are non-standard. Seriously non-standard.

The list:
1- The resolutions are wrong.

2- The frame-rate is correct, but not supported by DVD manufacturers en mass. (This causes some of the freezing people mention.

3- By not re-encoding anything the editing leads to some hardware getting confused by minor holes in the data.

4- The DTv stream is far from perfect. There are OFTEN missing frames of both audio and video. When it happens in video most rock-bottom cheap players explode.

If you re-encode you can fix resolution. You can fix frame rate (though the fill will get bigger). You can fix the "holes" in the data. etc...

But I took a different approach in my thinking and this is all just me... Keep that in mind. I love the quality if what we get directly from the DTV stream with no re-encoding. I could have and did for awhile re-encode and get "perfect" output. But that is slow. Very slow in most cases and far from problem free. Then you get the forced loss of quality.

Mpeg is lossy bad! IF you re-encode in mpeg the high-freq info that is lost is exponentially lost when going back into a new phase of mpeg encoding. (look at the DCT formulas for the reasons as to why...) So I am not and probably never will be, personally, interested in re-encoding.

My philosophy? If a $70 JVC will play what I get I will have 2 DVD players. My gastly expensive Sony for "real" dvds and my JVC N40BK for TyDVDs.

My thought $70 now vs. 4 hours re-compressing ever 1 hour show I want to keep is a bargain in every sense of the word.

So for those hoping I will do more to help in transcoding. sorry. Probably not going to happen. For those hoping for better DVDAuthor support and perhaps some fixes to the VOB output to make it "work better". Just might happen. :)

--jdiner

jdiner
05-29-2003, 11:41 PM
ok, i have the results from this test now, and it's getting curiouser and curiouser.

1. ty must be converted to multiplexed mpg with vob packets ("psuedo-vob")
2. the "pseudo-vob" (mpg with empty vob packets) is converted to "true vob" by dvdauthor
3. menu is added by dvdauthor (specifically, the menu created in tytool7)

with the "vob-mux file(s)" option, step 1 is an atomic operation. with "multiplex file(s)", an mpg is produced without the vob packets, and must be processed again by mplex -f 8 to add the vob packets (let's call it steps 1a (vsplit) and 1b (mplex)).

Hummm. That sounds like there is something in my mux'ing that that particular player does not like. What specific player are you using?

It would be interesting to try and track down exactly what the differences in the 2 outputs are. I have never done that close a comparison of things and I am now wondering what it is that let's one work and not the other...

I tried to follow the mpeg specs and I think I came darn close. But perhaps something I did is "too close" and while right for the data is out of spec for the DVD and this is the culprit....

Also tell me more about the test clip in use. Audio type? Tivo source? etc...

--jdiner

ronnythunder
05-30-2003, 12:03 AM
jdiner, i'm using a pioneer dv-250 ($88 at walmart :) ). it really hasn't had problems with anything up until now, however, i only have one other player, and it won't play any dvd that's recordable (old sony dvp-s7000), so i don't have much to compare to. i generally only make dvds for myself.

the clip i'm using is a nearly 4gb ty from a dtivo with mpeg audio. it's a hockey game (go devils!), and after gopediting, it's almost a 3gb mpg.

if there's anything that you'd like me to do to help, just let me know. i can dump the ty in either ty or tmf format onto a dvd-r and send it to you if you'd like; i can run any diags or whatever, just send me the code or tell me where to get it.

thanks for the update.

ronny

jdiner
05-30-2003, 12:07 AM
if there's anything that you'd like me to do to help, just let me know. i can dump the ty in either ty or tmf format onto a dvd-r and send it to you if you'd like; i can run any diags or whatever, just send me the code or tell me where to get it.

Alright try this. make a small clip. Doesn't matter of what (say 30 seconds long) using my stuff to make a vob and the "other method" you mentioned to make a vob. Try playing both on your DVD player. If mine fails and the other works then we are in business. Put them up on the net for me or I can give you my address and you can snail mail them to me. But at 30 seconds each net should be fine...

Then i can scope the difference and see what is really going on.

--jdiner

rpongett
05-30-2003, 01:35 AM
My philosophy? If a $70 JVC will play what I get I will have 2 DVD players. My gastly expensive Sony for "real" dvds and my JVC N40BK for TyDVDs.

My thought $70 now vs. 4 hours re-compressing ever 1 hour show I want to keep is a bargain in every sense of the word.

So for those hoping I will do more to help in transcoding. sorry. Probably not going to happen. For those hoping for better DVDAuthor support and perhaps some fixes to the VOB output to make it "work better". Just might happen. :)

--jdiner I'm basically the same way. I really couldn't care less about using my PS2 as a DVD player.

I would like to be able to share my DVDs with others. Both silly crap for my worthless buds and stuff my sister acts in that she can pass out to people. But I should add here that tytool's mpeg tool already allowed me to throw this up re some of the stuff (very small) she's been in over the past year:

Web Page with Sis's Clips on TV last year (http://rpongett.phpwebhosting.com/kit/)

Anyway, I've used my PS2 as a test proxy for generic standalones that my friends have. A few people above can't get there's to work on them either. It would be nice to be able to get ty files to work on it. I guess the alternative is to put the backup copy of each DVD in .ty format, and I can always go through a long re-encoding process if I need to make a DVD I know I'm going to give to a lot of people.

In sum, I'm happy as an [insert tasteless farm analogy] with tytool7r2 as is. And your efforts are very much appreciated. I understand that anything more without re-ecodng is gravy. Hopefully, we'll get some advances in DVDauthor that will help there. Like I said, my PS2 player won't even play MPEG's that I mplex to .vob and run through DVDauthor (and those MPEGs were 720x480 originally from real purchased DVD movies that I ripped).

ronnythunder
05-30-2003, 03:15 AM
ask and ye shall receive! i made a small clip (well, for some definitions of "small"; the fileset is 12mb) and ran it both ways, and the results were as expected - using tytool7r2 to make the vobs caused the dvd to not work, and using mplex to make them resulted in a working dvd.

i zipped both video_ts dirs into a zip file and put them on a webserver; i'll pm you with the details.

thanks a ton, jdiner!

ronny

Alright try this. make a small clip. Doesn't matter of what (say 30 seconds long) using my stuff to make a vob and the "other method" you mentioned to make a vob. Try playing both on your DVD player. If mine fails and the other works then we are in business. Put them up on the net for me or I can give you my address and you can snail mail them to me. But at 30 seconds each net should be fine...

Then i can scope the difference and see what is really going on.

--jdiner

SirTrini
05-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Probably not the way you are looking for, but this is my work flow.

1. TY file through tytoolr2 "make cut file" to get the cut files
2. tytoolr2 "edit cut file" to edit out commercials
3. tytoolr2 to "multiplex" files - this step gives you an mpeg file
4. TMPGEnc DVD Author to create menus and vob (no demultiplexing, or reencoding required)
5. Burn the Video_TS folder in Nero
6. Play in PS/2

donmc
05-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by SirTrini

4. TMPGEnc DVD Author to create menus and vob (no demultiplexing, or reencoding required)
6. Play in PS/2

Following your instructions however, I get a message saying "The video resolution of 480x576 cannot be used for a standard DVD" when trying to output the folder How did you get round this without reencoding.? DVD Author looks really good!

Don

SirTrini
05-30-2003, 11:08 AM
between step 3 and 4, I used DVDPatcher to patch the header only to 8000mbits and 720X480.

If you leave it at 15mbits, DVD Author will not import the file.

Thanks!

idokle
05-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Ok I just got this and when I Make ISO i get this error

"There was an error running bmp2y4m . . .
Please check the directories for the .EXE and menu.bmp files."

I tried this command "bmp2y4m menu.bmp menu.yuv" and it worked just fine.

Need some help on this.

jdiner
05-30-2003, 11:31 AM
What version did you download? That used to show up when there was a space in the tool path name under 7r1. 7r2 fixed that issue and 7r3 will be released sometime soon.

--jdiner

donmc
05-30-2003, 12:00 PM
between step 3 and 4, I used DVDPatcher to patch the header only to 8000mbits and 720X480.

If you leave it at 15mbits, DVD Author will not import the file.

Thanks!

Well guess what! The DVD plays in my xbox - fantastic! The menus don't but hey, this is a major result. Will play some more over the weekend and report back.

Cheers
Don

SirTrini
05-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Well guess what! The DVD plays in my xbox - fantastic! The menus don't but hey, this is a major result. Will play some more over the weekend and report back.

The TMPGEnc DVD menus play great in my PS2.... just make sure you select under "Create Menu" - "First Play Action" to be "Display Main Menu"... this is how I setup my default behavior.

When the disc is inserted into my PS2 the menus come up and work fine.

Maybe there is some sort of incompatibility with the XBOX - I'll have my friend try my disc tomorrow and see what happens.

Edit:

Take a look at this thread - it has some XBOX info in there:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24103&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

idokle
05-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Why do I keep getting this error now?!

Name = 'c:\1\xxxxxxx-'
fsIDs = '239313/239328'
Tivo Address = '192.168.1.102'
Connected...
Data socket connect failed!

It reads the shows just fine but I keep getting this. I reboted my Tivo and connect and still get this when trying to extract. What is up. It worked for like 1 movie but now I cant get it to work.

I tested TYtool 5 and it connects and extracts just fine. Just version 7 gives me that data socket error. Remember TyTool doesnt have the whole DVD thing so thats why I wanna kinda use TyTool7

jdiner
05-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Oh man. I just got hit by a bus. Literally a school bus.

Ripped the very front of my car right off. That is the last time I go out for lunch.

What a day. I have just about had enough of all of this.

So someone make my day. Anyone got most of the first half of Smallville Season 1 as TyStream files? I need a bunch of them to complete that season. I could really use a brightening of my day right now.

I should scan some pictures of my car...

--jdiner

dlang
05-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Ouch!! Glad to hear you weren't hurt (or at least not hurt badly enough to mention it)

sorry but smallville isn't a show I have been keeping

Neutronflux
05-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Damn -- Josh that sucks majorly - I hate to see bad things happen to good people. I don't have season 1 of Smallville, but I have all of Season 2 of the Shield and I'm going to have a crack at hitting that with your program asap, I don't know if you need it... it seems that we might have the same taste in shows!

ronnythunder
05-30-2003, 07:00 PM
oh man, jdiner, that really blows. thankfully you are ok; cars can be replaced. sorry, i can't help with smallville, but if you need any hockey, good eats, food 911 or 30 minute meals, i'm your guy! :)

ronny

shadowramy15
05-30-2003, 08:23 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what does the "Parse File" function do?

THanks

jdiner
05-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Processes just 1 file by splitting.

It opens a file requestor and loads it up and split is. Or at least it used to.

It is major legacy at this point. I use it for debug purposes on occasion when i need a button to trigger the proccess off.

If was replaced by the menu options that gave access to tons of better features. including being able to parse/process a group of selected files.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Ooohhh. You know I had an idea why waiting for the police to get to the scene of the accident. Strange really what your mind will focus on in times of stress like that.

I think I might be able to solve some of the issues with using DVDAuthor on my vob output.... That would be very nice as an alternative for some to what DVDAuthor outputs...

I will have to give it some more thought. Anyone else here have a copy of it? I figure it will need some direct testing and I wanted to know who to ask...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-30-2003, 08:36 PM
Oh ack! I found a bug in the mux'er. Darn it. How did that get in there... :(

For those that have a few problem TYs still hang on. Something got added that could completely through off the mux'er. For me it manifested as 5 minutes of silence followed by 5 minutes of audio that was behind with frozen video followed by finally correcting at the next edit point.

EDIT: Some clarification... A fix for an audio problem somehow got into the video code. ??!!?? Like I said... how did that happen.

You would know if you had run into it. The failure is severe! If you haven't yet. Odds are you would have some point. But it is fixed now so 7r3 should be out in the next few hours. I have a few more little things I want to go over.

--jdiner

dlang
05-30-2003, 08:49 PM
any chance for a linux build of vsplit3 with this release?

also did you get my reply to your pointed e-mail from sunday?

rpongett
05-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Ooohhh. You know I had an idea why waiting for the police to get to the scene of the accident. Strange really what your mind will focus on in times of stress like that.

I think I might be able to solve some of the issues with using DVDAuthor on my vob output.... That would be very nice as an alternative for some to what DVDAuthor outputs...Note to self: get hit by bus next time writers' block appears.

Looking forward to any future updates. Especially re the DVD author tool usage. Wish I had some Smallville espisodes for ya.

JG24
05-31-2003, 12:15 AM
I still have not got a DVD to play in my APEX AD-1200 or JVC N30. Nothing but audio & video jitters. The DVD's play fine using WinDVD 4 on my WinXP P4 computer.

I'm not sure if it's a audio or video encoding problem. I opened the VIDEO_TS.ifo in infoEdit. Results listed below:

VTS_1 VIDEO: MPEG-2 704X480 (NTSC) (NTSC 525/60) (4:3) (not specified perm.display)
VTS_1 AUDIO 1: Not Specified (MPEG-1 ) 2ch 48Kbps 20bps

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

johnmacd
05-31-2003, 11:05 AM
I think I must be doing something wrong. I have created a .ty.cut file and I am tring to make it into a .VOB I thought all I had to do was use the Vob-Mux File(s) option. But all that is showing up is a .ty file.
What am I doing wrong?

bato
05-31-2003, 11:11 AM
The VOBs behave differently if created with TyTool7r2 as VOB and then as DVD directory with DVDauthor with TyTool7r2. This is what I found:

- VOB created with TyTool7r2, then IFOedit to create IFOs, I can't FF/RW with PowerDVD. If used with DVDlab again can't FF/RW and the chapters do not work.
- DVD directory created with TyTool7r2 from same VOB, can FF/RW with PowerDVD, chapters work.
- VOB ripped with IFOedit from the DVD directory created with TyTool7r2 can be used even with DVDlab, can set chapters that work and can FF/RW in PowerDVD without problems.

So my question/guess/idea is that the VOBs are not demux/remux in any way, only the headers or the so called NAV packets are changed, and this is why some other apps and maybe some players act in different way. Is this right or I'm far away from what is really happening?

bato
05-31-2003, 11:13 AM
johnmacd found the problem.

johnmacd
05-31-2003, 11:16 AM
I just figured out why after I had made a .ty.cut file I could not find my file tin TyTool7r2. I had forgotten that I was running TyTool7r2 from a directory on another machine on the network. As soon as I ran it all locally, it worked!

I knew it had to be something simple and I was doing something wrong.

jdiner
05-31-2003, 02:09 PM
The VOBs behave differently if created with TyTool7r2 as VOB and then as DVD directory with DVDauthor with TyTool7r2. This is what I found:

- VOB created with TyTool7r2, then IFOedit to create IFOs, I can't FF/RW with PowerDVD. If used with DVDlab again can't FF/RW and the chapters do not work.
- DVD directory created with TyTool7r2 from same VOB, can FF/RW with PowerDVD, chapters work.
- VOB ripped with IFOedit from the DVD directory created with TyTool7r2 can be used even with DVDlab, can set chapters that work and can FF/RW in PowerDVD without problems.

So my question/guess/idea is that the VOBs are not demux/remux in any way, only the headers or the so called NAV packets are changed, and this is why some other apps and maybe some players act in different way. Is this right or I'm far away from what is really happening?

Yeah, you are. The problem right now is that the DVDAuthor tool is good but not great. It is perfect in terms of no-remu'xing. Even the DVD Authoring from tmpgenc crew remux'es. It is just smarter than any of the others in how it does it. (Man I hate having tools with almost identical names... :(

The since the DVDAuthor is a reverse engineered piece of work it is not perfect. Odds are it will never be. IMHO the docs, $10k each book, are needed to make it perfect. Sad but true. However that doesn't mean it isn't good now and that it won't be better at some point in the near future...

I know that DVDLab will now import without remux'ing. Oscar must have talked the SDK dude into getting his but back in gear on it all. But I don't have that version yet to try and greater testing with it.

The DVD Authoring tool does a good job but a "damaged" video frame throws it off. I am working now on repairing damaged frames (Never going to be prerfect in terms of the visual data) but it might make the "getting off" on sync with that tool almost non-existant. Which would be sweet!

--jdiner

jdiner
05-31-2003, 02:10 PM
Sorry for the delays in posting things that I mentioned yesterday. Guess i was really holding onto the steering wheel hard yesterday. My hands have just ached for since early last night. :(

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
05-31-2003, 06:15 PM
Sorry for the delays in posting things that I mentioned yesterday. Guess i was really holding onto the steering wheel hard yesterday. My hands have just ached for since early last night. :(

--jdiner

Whiplash always takes a day or so to kick in. Get yourself a good lawyer (if it was their fault) and sue for the rehab and pain/suffering. OTOH, you probably don't have any more ringing in your ears! :eek: ;)

Generiq
05-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Anyone else here have a copy of it? I figure it will need some direct testing and I wanted to know who to ask...

--jdiner

I do and would be glad to test anything I can to help.

bato
05-31-2003, 09:46 PM
The DVD Authoring tool does a good job but a "damaged" video frame throws it off. I am working now on repairing damaged frames (Never going to be prerfect in terms of the visual data) but it might make the "getting off" on sync with that tool almost non-existant. Which would be sweet!

--jdiner

Very sweet.

I forgot to include that if I demux the VOB created with TyTool7r2 and then create a DVD with IFOedit then the DVD play ok also with PowerDVD. I don't know how hard is to add the headers to your VOB creation routine so the VOBs behave like the ones created with IFOedit, this way I can create the VOB with TyTool7 then use that with DVDlab with no need to go with DVDauthor and then rip the VOB with IFOedit.

Man, this sound like me me me, sorry about that, I just saw Matrix Reloaded :D

lord_oberon
06-01-2003, 02:27 AM
Hey what, first of all i would just like to pay some tribute to jdiner for a great release of tytool.

So anyways i was with Neutronflux making some dvds of the shield season 2 (5 episodes) with rc2 everything was great except the final dvd was wierd when i load it in power dvd the first episode loops and the others stop the player, also tried it in my REAL MAGIC hollywood player( Hardware Decoder and it didn't want to even load it. I burned a disc anyways since thier was disscusion of this same problem having something to do with powerdvd(im runnig the latest build). So i poped it in my PS2 and it plays but it glitches the same way as in powerdvd. Also i get some video lock up, but the PS2 isn't the greatest of dvd players.

Also i found a bug in tytool rc2, if you close a sub window with the "X" instead of cancel it will lock up the program.

Anyways awsome stuf.... :-)

jdiner
06-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by lord_oberon
So anyways i was with Neutronflux making some dvds of the shield season 2 (5 episodes) with rc2 everything was great except the final dvd was wierd when i load it in power dvd the first episode loops and the others stop the player, also tried it in my REAL MAGIC hollywood player( Hardware Decoder and it didn't want to even load it. I burned a disc anyways since thier was disscusion of this same problem having something to do with powerdvd(im runnig the latest build). So i poped it in my PS2 and it plays but it glitches the same way as in powerdvd. Also i get some video lock up, but the PS2 isn't the greatest of dvd players.

Also i found a bug in tytool rc2, if you close a sub window with the "X" instead of cancel it will lock up the program.

Yeah. I found out the the whole "X" button thing as well a few days ago. I had never ever noticed that before. It has been fixed in 7r3.

As for the others. The option to set a looping playback only works on the first file. But it is without question a problem with the DVDAuthor tool. I wish it worked better on that...

As for the rest of it. I don't know...

--jdiner

IdolWild
06-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey jdiner,

Are we supposed to be waiting for RC3 before we try and do any real DVD production? You had mentioned some fatal bug earlier in RC2 and said it was going to be fixed in RC3. Is it your recommendation we wait?

As an aside, for practice, I took five hour-long-show ty files I had saved around (as many of us are, we're in a holding pattern for a workable solution). So I tried, using Tytools 7 RC2, to take the 5 tys, edit the commercials, vob them out, and then use the new dvdauthor you have included to make a working DVD. Guess what - worked flawlessly - once I burned the DVD using Nero and put it in my Sony DVD player, it worked great. Audio was perfectly in sync from beginning to end, commercial cuts were flawless, the DVD menu worked well (although rather simplistic) - there were no show-stopping glitches I could see.

Wonderful job!

Neutronflux
06-01-2003, 01:08 PM
I guess it's my turn to ring in --- I have to say that Lord_Oberon and I were defnitely impressed with the Alpha 7 RC2 Tytool Build -- we've been trying to produce a Shield Season 2 DVD with Synched audio for the last 2 months, trying various methods. My take is that the less we "mess" with the files the better, and a direct output with tytool seems to be the best option yet. The audio is Dead Nuts on the money. More importantly, Episode 4 of season 2 is called "Carte Blanche" and for some reason this episode was HELL for us when trying to use TyStudio, bad GOPS/Cuts, crashing, audio synch issues, the whole kit and Kaboodle.

Interestingly enough, the new tytool didn't work on this file, not because the program sucks, but because we're monkeys. L_O and I didn't remove the old .cut files from a previous version of tytool, our new cut files were in a different directory - so when we tried to produce a VOB of the Episode 4 [the one from Hell] it crashed the program. Then 2 of my neurons collided and I was like... our cuts are slightly off, not because the program is bad, but because it's the wrong cuts. Using the correct .cut files, the program was A+ and had no trouble with Ep. 4 - which in my opinion is one of the ugliest ty files I have ever dumped from my tivo. Kudos to Jdiner - can't wait to see some more functionality in terms of linking the files together in a particular order and more leeway in terms of menus. These are small potato items in my opinion as you have done a huge amount of work and as always, it is much appreciated.

idokle
06-01-2003, 02:17 PM
First off much props my man. Good job on this tool.

Now. I got 2 sugestions and 1 bug for you and I hope yu can make them true on the next version.

sugestions:
1. Have a check box of someking on the Make Menu screen where if you check the BOX it will just play the first chapter on the DVD. The reason I say this is coz I dont make shows(episodes) at all so when its just one movie there is no reason for me when I put the DVD in to Play to get to the Menu.

2. Is there a way you can make a option so that whenever a processes in TyTool is finished it comes up with a msgbox saying"Done". The reason I ask for this is coz I have this whole processe now automated using DVDMaestro but since with TyTool its so much faster I would need this msgbox to come up for my program to know that TyTool is dont with that processes so that I send KEys to TyTool for the next processes.

Bugs:
1. After I made a DVD for some reason I could not fast forward with more then a 2x speed. It looked like it was blocked. This is a DVD option that you can do with any DVDauth so I thought you might wanna fix this.

Please dont missunderstand me it looks great and it does a great job just helpfull tools you know.

thanx and keep it up my man.

colin
06-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Josh,
I found an anomoly at the freeze point, where the Player freezes for a while, then starts back up at the freeze point.
There is an Audio frame, but of length 499, and there is no PTS. Then a padding blcok. This frame is right before the NAV packet.

It looks like there are these weird lengthed audio frames before each NAV packet. Most seem to have a PTS.

snoopy
06-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Disk Error in my DVD player
"Playback feature may not be available on this disk".

I copied the entire contents of the TYTool D V D 6 folder directly to the DVD using adaptec software.

Is this correct?

jdiner
06-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by colin
Josh,
I found an anomoly at the freeze point, where the Player freezes for a while, then starts back up at the freeze point.
There is an Audio frame, but of length 499, and there is no PTS. Then a padding blcok. This frame is right before the NAV packet.

It looks like there are these weird lengthed audio frames before each NAV packet. Most seem to have a PTS.

Yeah. That is flushing the build buffer to disk before a NAV packet is generated. According to everything I have seen everywhere else is the way to do it.

The reason it has no PTS value is that it does not contain 1 fille data packet. The size is dependant on bitrate etc... If there is a start of a packet in the audio build buffer it is used.

Do keep in mind that I go for overkill when I do my PTS values. They are not required anywhere near as often as I put them in the stream. But things recover so much quicker after an error this way.

--jdiner

johnmacd
06-01-2003, 05:47 PM
I have seen audio problems mentioned a few times, and I havent really seen an answer -execept that maybe 7r3 will fix it.

I have a SA so I think I need to change to audio to 48khz??? Not sure how. Here's my observations from my tests on both the .vob's and the .ty.mpg's:

Get video and get audio with no problem when using PowerDVD.

Burn it to a DVD with Nero and play it on my standalone DVD player and now video is still great but it sounds like the chipmuncks for a few seconds, then silence as the video catches up 'Alvin', then the chipmuncks start up again....and so on.

Again I tested the DVD I made and I there are no audio problems with PowerDVD.

I have tried the above with several shows from Tivo with the same results each time.

I'm running the .ty files thru DVD Author right now.... we will see if that fixes it.

John

colin
06-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeah. That is flushing the build buffer to disk before a NAV packet is generated. According to everything I have seen everywhere else is the way to do it.

The reason it has no PTS value is that it does not contain 1 fille data packet. The size is dependant on bitrate etc... If there is a start of a packet in the audio build buffer it is used.

Do keep in mind that I go for overkill when I do my PTS values. They are not required anywhere near as often as I put them in the stream. But things recover so much quicker after an error this way.

--jdiner

Ahh, that explains it.
Are you certain it's the way to do it ?
I haven't seen anybody else's streams with this characteristic.

Colin..

CptKirk
06-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Using Alpha #7 rel 2 on WinXP Pro SP1

When I click the V button out to the right of 'ISO Location' a Pick Directory dialog box pops up.

In the 'Directories' area all I see are the double periods .. that take me up to the next higher directory and if I go up all the way then all of my driver letters.

I am not able to navigate down any directories because I cannot see any.

If I click on 'Add Dir' I can enter a string and click ok. Nothing still shows up in the dialog box. If I open up Windows Explorer I can see that the directory was created, I just cannot see it in the TyTools dialog box.

jdiner
06-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by johnmacd
I have a SA so I think I need to change to audio to 48khz??? Not sure how. Here's my observations from my tests on both the .vob's and the .ty.mpg's:

Get video and get audio with no problem when using PowerDVD.

Burn it to a DVD with Nero and play it on my standalone DVD player and now video is still great but it sounds like the chipmuncks for a few seconds, then silence as the video catches up 'Alvin', then the chipmuncks start up again....and so on.

Again I tested the DVD I made and I there are no audio problems with PowerDVD.

I have tried the above with several shows from Tivo with the same results each time.

I'm running the .ty files thru DVD Author right now.... we will see if that fixes it.

Ok. A good question. Sadly one with out a great answer. But here goes...

There is nothing in the DVD spec that specifies what a data rate must be for encoded audio. This is very different than the VCD/SVCD spec where it is very carefully laid out.

However the DVD spec also does not directly allow for the use of Mpeg1 LayerII compressed audio. Many commercial DVD building programs will report a warning if you try to use it.

However many hardwareplayers can and do support it. The older Apex'es will play darn near anything. The newer ones (latest revisions of the 1201 and 1110w etc...) will only play 48,000 based audio files.

I have a couple of "more expensive" players, which these days means closer to $100 than to $50. And they will both play things from my DTivo and my older SA Tivos.

If it plays in PowerDVD without issue then honestly what you are facing is a simple truth. You have to re-encode for your current hardware or get new hardware. Either one will solve your problems. Re-encoding is a challenging thing to do at the moment. But 7r3 will make it much eaiser. There is a complete feature tree that I forgot complete to enable.

Check the docs when the release is made and I will explain things with this new feature better there.

--jdiner

johnmacd
06-01-2003, 08:20 PM
If it plays in PowerDVD without issue then honestly what you are facing is a simple truth. You have to re-encode for your current hardware or get new hardware. Either one will solve your problems. Re-encoding is a challenging thing to do at the moment. But 7r3 will make it much eaiser. There is a complete feature tree that I forgot complete to enable.

Getting new hardware bites...I was hoping it wasnt the DVD player. Hopefully 7r3 will do the trick. So far this is a great program. Keep up the good work.

Well running the .ty file worked- no more chipmuncks but I didnt cut any commericals (as this was only a test). Maybe I will be able to get my hardware to work. ....

DPlatt
06-01-2003, 10:02 PM
As I'm fairly new to video extraction, I think I'm missing an important step somewhere. I can successfully extract a tystream, and get it burned to a DVD with no problem at all using the new build of TyTool.

I'm unable to successfully make any cuts using the GOPeditor, though. I create a key file successfully, then load it into GOPeditor to add the cuts I want. I add the start and stop points of the cut I want (to make my testing simple, I'm just trying to edit out the first two minutes of commercials in front of a movie). The cut shows successfully in the 'Cut List' window, and I then save it using 'File > Save Cut List'.

I go back to TyTools and do the VOB-Mux option to create my VOB files, and the first line of my status message say "Mux'ing (with cuts)." When the VOB file is completed, though, I open it up in PowerDVD and the section I cut out using GOPeditor is still there. Am I missing a step somewhere?

I'm extracting from a DTiVo running 2.5, if that matters.

Misfit
06-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by DPlatt
As I'm fairly new to video extraction, I think I'm missing an important step somewhere. I can successfully extract a tystream, and get it burned to a DVD with no problem at all using the new build of TyTool.

I'm unable to successfully make any cuts using the GOPeditor, though. I create a key file successfully, then load it into GOPeditor to add the cuts I want. I add the start and stop points of the cut I want (to make my testing simple, I'm just trying to edit out the first two minutes of commercials in front of a movie). The cut shows successfully in the 'Cut List' window, and I then save it using 'File > Save Cut List'.

I go back to TyTools and do the VOB-Mux option to create my VOB files, and the first line of my status message say "Mux'ing (with cuts)." When the VOB file is completed, though, I open it up in PowerDVD and the section I cut out using GOPeditor is still there. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Make sure that the .cut file is in the same directory as the .ty file. TyTool seems to save the .cut files in it's directory instead of where the .ty file is.

captain_video
06-01-2003, 10:22 PM
TyTool saves the cut file in the same directory as the ty file by default as there is no "Save as" option for saving the cut list. You have to select the Edit KeyFile(s) option after saving the cut list. The GopEditor window opens back up. Just close it out and you'll get an indication in the TyTool window that the keyfile has been edited. After you've edited the keyfile, then you can select either the Multiplex File(s) or VOB-Mux File(s) option. If you don't edit the keyfile then the cuts don't get registered for muxing and you'll end up with an unedited mpg or VOB file.

jdiner
06-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Ah ha! Sorry for the delay. Trying to make all of this that much better...

I have found a few simple ways to make the VOB output even more conformant to what most DVD players seem to want. They are subtle and simple, and sadly unneeded for my hardware. But they seem to be outright crucial for many others hardware and software players.

I figured I would just add them before making another release. Sorry if that bums anyone out. But while I know there is something that I can do in short order to fix things it seemed pointless to make an interim release.

--jdiner

ronnythunder
06-02-2003, 12:37 AM
thanks, jdiner. i'd like to hope that everyone understands the delay. it's one thing to be working your tail off on software to give away to us whiners, and another to be still recovering (no doubt) from your auto accident.

please don't feel rushed; do what you need to do for yourself first. we'll be overjoyed to have the tools whenever we get them.

ronny

bato
06-02-2003, 01:02 AM
I recorded twice Harry Potter, in English and in Spanish. I created the VOBs with TyTool7r2, demux them and join 1 m2v with the 2 m2a files, then import that VOB into DVDlab, but DVDlab show as start point 02:29:20:00 and for length 00:11:25 and above the movie timestamps like -2:-14:-6, -2:00:-44...

So I checked the m2v files with ReStream0.89, and found that for first m2v:
- First GOP timestamp 0h 1m 29s 17f
second m2v:
- First GOP timestamp 2h 29m 20s 7f

I didn't make the DVD because I guess the chapters will not work. If I mux the first m2v in IFOedit I get sync problems, so I muxed again with second m2v and I have perfect sync in both languages in all movie.

I guess this is because I cut at the beginning to remove the previews.

Do you think this values can be changed?

bato
06-02-2003, 01:22 AM
I made a couple of days ago a VOB with WildThornberrysMovie, and created autochapters with DVDlab, now I played the DVD with PowerDVD and find that there are 28s difference between the chapters in DVDlab and the chapters in PowerDVD.

I loaded the VOB again in DVDlab and found that it show the start at 0:00:28:00 (28 sec), so that's why there is 28s difference between where the chapters are.

DPlatt
06-02-2003, 06:40 AM
TyTool saves the cut file in the same directory as the ty file by default as there is no "Save as" option for saving the cut list. You have to select the Edit KeyFile(s) option after saving the cut list. The GopEditor window opens back up. Just close it out and you'll get an indication in the TyTool window that the keyfile has been edited. After you've edited the keyfile, then you can select either the Multiplex File(s) or VOB-Mux File(s) option. If you don't edit the keyfile then the cuts don't get registered for muxing and you'll end up with an unedited mpg or VOB file.

Thanks, but that still doesn't do the trick. I make my cuts, save the cut file, check to make sure the cut file is in the same directory as my ty file, select 'Edit cut file' again, then exit the GOPeditor. The TyTool window gives me the 'keyfile has been edited' message, but I get the same results when I make my VOBs-- none of my cuts are made.

Misfit
06-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Thanks, but that still doesn't do the trick. I make my cuts, save the cut file, check to make sure the cut file is in the same directory as my ty file, select 'Edit cut file' again, then exit the GOPeditor. The TyTool window gives me the 'keyfile has been edited' message, but I get the same results when I make my VOBs-- none of my cuts are made.

You might want to try opening the .cut file to see if there's anything in it. It's just a text file with start and end timestamps of the cuts.

captain_video
06-02-2003, 08:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Are you clicking on the Add cut button each time you pick a start and stop time for your cuts? You should see a list of the cuts as you add them in the upper right corner of the GopEditor screen. If there's nothing being added you aren't saving any cuts.

sabasigh
06-02-2003, 09:54 AM
I've been taking the my .ty files, editing and muxing to vobs. Then I create the IFO's and burn to disk using Nero.

When I play on my Toshiba stand alone, I get occasional video freezes and some digital artifacts.

When I play the same DVD in my computer or I play the vob file in Power DVD...I don't get those glitches.

Other than that, I've been messing around with these tools and they are sweet!

snoopy
06-02-2003, 10:24 AM
I have found a few simple ways to make the VOB output even more conformant to what most DVD players seem to want. They are subtle and simple, and sadly unneeded for my hardware. But they seem to be outright crucial for many others hardware and software players.

I figured I would just add them before making another release. Sorry if that bums anyone out. But while I know there is something that I can do in short order to fix things it seemed pointless to make an interim release.

--jdiner

They are not compatable in my player. Menu and all comes up. It just won't play the selections. At least the menu is thhere right? I have considered playing with DVD patcher and changing the first header frame rate to something other than 480x480 in hopes that my player will pick it up then. Do you or anyone else, have any suggestions on this?

06-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Problem with file location. Put all files (ty, key, cut) in the same directory as tytools and edit the ini file to indicate that as the location. Had the same problem.

Wes
06-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by sabasigh
When I play on my Toshiba stand alone, I get occasional video freezes and some digital artifacts.

It's a DVD player problem. My Pioneer and Toshiba have the same problem due to the 'non-standard' DVD specs from Tivo. My APEXs all works fine without the freezes.

Wes
06-02-2003, 11:26 AM
So someone make my day. Anyone got most of the first half of Smallville Season 1 as TyStream files? I need a bunch of them to complete that season. I could really use a brightening of my day right now.

Too bad I'm in the same boat here. Didn't think Smallville would even survive the first season. I've only watched it and didn't keep them until the end of Season 1.

sabasigh
06-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Has anyone else tried editing, muxing to mpeg and then using DVDpatcher like:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Play in PS/2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you subsitute IFOedit for the TMPGenc DVD author step?

jdiner
06-02-2003, 12:15 PM

Are you using the new "Set Output directory" option in anyway? or is it blank?

I was just checking this out and there would appear to be a problem with a few things in dealing with that option. A few places still insist on using the source directory and should not. I will be fixing them as I find them but there are a few things I do so infrequently that I just don't even remember them all.

I.e. I used TyTool to split a file for the first time in forever last night. It took me a minute to figure out that the new file requestor window I built isn't even tied to it. You have to do the files 1 at a time. sorry about that folks. That has also been added to the todo list.

--jdiner

jdiner
06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by sabasigh
I've been taking the my .ty files, editing and muxing to vobs. Then I create the IFO's and burn to disk using Nero.

When I play the same DVD in my computer or I play the vob file in Power DVD...I don't get those glitches.

Other than that, I've been messing around with these tools and they are sweet!

Welcome to the party. That is the exact problem I am trying to fix for you all right now. I found some hardware that I now have here that does this same freezing. I found the problem and I know what causes it. It is something in my mux'ing that is "legal" for an MPEG-2 program stream and apparently not even close to legal for a true DVD. So I am redoing the output code.

NOTE: Good news: For those that are having problems with disks that you burned, USING MY STUFF, and having these freezes etc... but have deleted the TyStream files (I have a few of these :( ) I am also working over a tool that will re-mux the files from the CD output into the new internal format so that they can be re-run through TyTool's ifo code to build a new IFO fileset that will not have these problems.

--jdiner

jdiner
06-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Wes
Too bad I'm in the same boat here. Didn't think Smallville would even survive the first season. I've only watched it and didn't keep them until the end of Season 1.

I had another user here offer many of the first season to me. I am now missing only 1 episode. Nicodemus. If you want it, when i get them all, I would happy to make DVD's of the first season for you...

--jdiner

Neutronflux
06-02-2003, 12:42 PM
This might be a little off topic, and I don't want to divert the attention of this post -- but I could seriously use Smallville Season 1 in my collection, not to mention Season 2 -- Like I said earlier, I have all of Season 2 of the Shield and Lord_Oberon and I are currently working on that, he's put together an AMAZING menu system, no joke - it's really slick, far FAR better than the menu construction that came with the Season 1 Shield DVD that they SOLD US!

I don't know if you'd be willing to trade - But if so, that would be great! Private message me... again, sorry for the sidtrack.

DPlatt
06-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Are you using the new "Set Output directory" option in anyway? or is it blank?

I think that did the trick! I moved all the files to the same directory as TyTools as newbie suggested, then changed the output directory to that same directory. I'm not sure which trick fixed it, but my cuts are now successful. Thanks to both of you!

ronnythunder
06-03-2003, 03:44 PM
sorry to light up the thread with no real new info, but...

while i've been patiently awaiting rc3, i've been working with the new tools using my old batch file that i used with tytool6 and friends. basically, i just call vsplit to generate key files, gopeditor to do cuts, and vsplit -m to make the mpeg.

i've found that (as jdiner alluded to) all of my "problematic" ty streams can be rendered into mpegs with the new tools while maintaining perfect audio sync throughout. this is a *big* improvement over all of the previous tools, jdiner-authored and not. unfortunately, i still can't use that mpeg directly into dvdmf or other software, and on some of the files, any muxing/demuxing, gop fixing, anything that i do to it causes it to lose sync.

having said that, i have had success with some shorter shows that previously didn't work; it's just that the longer shows and movies don't go too good.

keep up the great work, jdiner!

ronny

horwitz
06-03-2003, 04:40 PM
NOTE: Good news: For those that are having problems with disks that you burned, USING MY STUFF, and having these freezes etc... but have deleted the TyStream files (I have a few of these :( ) I am also working over a tool that will re-mux the files from the CD output into the new internal format so that they can be re-run through TyTool's ifo code to build a new IFO fileset that will not have these problems.

--jdiner [/B]
That is great new, jdiner -- thanks!

rgardjr
06-03-2003, 05:22 PM
I want to play around with TyTools, but I can't see any of my locally stored .TY files. When I File>Process Single File I can see the .TY files, but when I File>Make Key File(s) and browse to the right directory none of the .TY files show up. Do I need to do something special? Thanks-Rick

jdiner
06-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Sorry for the delay in the new tool releases. I have had to rewrite way more than I thought I would. The VOB code is not completely different. Strange. I still have yet to clearly identify what exactly is the problem in all of this.

--jdiner

DaytonaDave
06-03-2003, 08:52 PM
I was thinking about asking for a refund!

lol

jdiner
06-04-2003, 12:59 AM
Well. There was another very fruitless dead-end. I just don't understand. The obvious things are all the same now.

I change the format of my output completely to look like the output from the tools I have that work just not in every way.

It is all there. I just don't get it. The only thing that remains now is the stuff that is supposed to be advisory only. Apparently something out there considers it not so...

--jdiner

jdiner
06-04-2003, 01:45 AM
Wheee. Well this is fun. I am still spinning my wheel trying to figure out what is going wrong. Something is obviously an issue here but I can't tell what yet. The problem is that the only way I have to test it right now is to burn a +rw disk and put it in my player. Makes it very time consuming.

Has anyone here seen/used/whatever a player program on the PC that show this same jerky playback as some of the hardware is showing?

It would be so much easier on my if I could locate one that did it on the PC so I can quit waiting for burns to complete.

EDIT: I was just thinking someone mentioned the mediamatics player, call with a Dell I think, that was having issues. Were they related to what I mentioned above or are they completely different.

--jdiner

jdiner
06-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Well. I got tired of chasing the current issue with multiplex'ing into the VOB format. Since I have no idea what it actually is and I went back to trying to determine when an error that will throw the tmpgenc DVD Authoring program's sync off occurs and what I might be able to do to fix it. I have come up with a couple of things that look very promising...

It is not as fast to do it with that tool as with some of the others I have been trying to use but it's output seems to play pretty universally.

It will be interesting to see what can really be done.

--jdiner

rpongett
06-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Has anyone here seen/used/whatever a player program on the PC that show this same jerky playback as some of the hardware is showing?

It would be so much easier on my if I could locate one that did it on the PC so I can quit waiting for burns to complete.

EDIT: I was just thinking someone mentioned the mediamatics player, call with a Dell I think, that was having issues. Were they related to what I mentioned above or are they completely different.It was Mediamantics DVDExpress. Its come on a couple of IBM Thinkpads I've been issued at work over the last couple of years. It definitely comes with Thinkpads (not anything the IT people at work added).

It actually didn't play DVDs created with Tytool .vobs run through DVDAuthor, even without menus. It did play a DVD created from an mpeg file I used mplex on to create a .vob file and burned with DVDAuthor. But it played it about 10-15% fast.

jdiner
06-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Hummm. Ok that is not it then. Guess I will just stick with burning and see what I can make happen.

--jdiner

jdiner
06-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Ok. A request for people...

Anone out there using tmpgenc DVD Authoring tool? And have you identified any "problems" TyStreams.

The problem streams are specifically those in which this tool loses A/V lip-sync at some point.

Just to be clear. You do not need to cut it out, send it, or anything like. I just want to know if there are any people out there.

I have a serious debug version of vsplit that looks for the main culprit I have seen for what throws this tool off. It at present does nothing to fix this problem it is just a means of seeing if I am locating it correctly.

So if you are in this boat then please post here and let me know. I doubt my PM box will handle this so like I said post your responses here.

--jdiner

06-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Jdnier--Are you suggesting we use tytools to cut then use tmpgenc DVD or use tmpgenc DVD to do the actual cutting?

jdiner
06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
At the moment I am not really suggesting anything.

People were trying other tools before I released the 7 series of TyTool.

I am looking for those that had been using Tmpgenc's DVD Authoring tool.

I am trying to see how good, or if it works at all, the error detection code I have written really is. That is all that I am doing/looking for at this point.

--jdiner

jdiner
06-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Alright. Enough is enough. I plan to make a release of all of the other little fixes that I have put into TyTool and VSplit over the last week or so since 7r2.

Sorry for the delay. I really thought I knew what was wrong but it turns out I was wrong. I still have no idea. I am working things over from a different angle now trying to figure out what it was. But so far nothing to report either good or bad.

EDIT: I suppose I should have noted that work is calling me away at the moment. I don't have time to clean out the debugging stuff that has gotten in there at the moment. I will be making the release later this evening...

--jdiner

ronnythunder
06-04-2003, 01:05 PM
thanks for the hard work, jdiner. if there's any testing that any of us can help with, let us know. i'd be more than happy to do some test burns or whatever if it will help.

ronny

SirTrini
06-04-2003, 01:37 PM
I appreciate all your efforts!

I am using Tmpgenc's DVD Authoring tool and have had no problems whatsoever with sync... I've produced about 10 DVD's with your tool to trim movies or cut commericals from shows without any sync issues.

I've posted my workflow earlier in the thread.

If you need any assistance let me know, and I'll try to help!

RxMan
06-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Several people here have mentioned that they have a PS2. Any luck getting a dvd to play in one with the current release?

snoopy
06-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
Several people here have mentioned that they have a PS2. Any luck getting a dvd to play in one with the current release?

I am not sure whether we are talking about the same thing. I feel quite certain we aren't given that IBM PS2 computers are ages old. They ran the first pentium chips. With a hardware dvd decoder, you MIGHT be able to but good luck. Wowee.

osetivo
06-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by snoopy
I am not sure whether we are talking about the same thing. I feel quite certain we aren't given that IBM PS2 computers are ages old. They ran the first pentium chips. With a hardware dvd decoder, you MIGHT be able to but good luck. Wowee.

I hope you were kidding (you just have to be kidding, right!)

PS2 = Playstation 2 not the IBM pc.

"wowee" is not enough, I need the Big Toothy Grin to be sure or at lease a wink ;)

milli
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
I must say I'm very impressed with how well TyTool v7 works... your goal, jdiner, is the same as mine - get stuff off the DTivo and burn to DVDs with someway to do multiple episodes of shows, i.e., with menus. For me, it's worked pretty much flawlessly. I'm writing DVD+Rs as well, and although my old Sony player (DVP-S560D) won't recognize anything, it is on it's last legs because it can't read some regular DVDs anyway. Thanks for the JVC player recommendation! I ordered one. ;-)

Anyway, for those interested in creating "fancy" menu's on Linux, it's actually not all that difficult, just takes a few steps. Here's some notes for those interested in making a menu with a backdrop image and text selections with drop shadows (for readability). Again, I do all this on Debian/GNU Linux, so I use GIMP instead of PhotoShop and NetPBM to do the rest of the image/mpeg manipulations. There's already been some posts for Windows folks in this regard...

Step 1: Make VOBs with TyTool

Get your shows off the Tivo and into TyTool. Make your key file, edit the key file, cut out stuff you don't want, then VOB-Mux the thing into a resulting .vob file. Rinse, repeat. (FYI, I use TyTool7r2 under "wine" on Linux, works just fine.)

Caveat for burning: I can't stress this enough and it's nice to know at the beginning of this process... DVDs are advertised as holding 4.7 GB of info... that's "salesman" Gigabytes, so a little less than you might think. So far I've been okay long as the Total of the VOBs doesn't exceed about 4650000000 bytes.

(continued)

snoopy
06-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by osetivo
I hope you were kidding (you just have to be kidding, right!)

PS2 = Playstation 2 not the IBM pc.

"wowee" is not enough, I need the Big Toothy Grin to be sure or at lease a wink ;)

I guess you can tell I don't play alot of games. LOL I feel so STUPID :D

milli
06-04-2003, 03:03 PM
(continued, got your VOBs from TyTool)

Step 2: Create a fancy menu

Fire up the GIMP. If you're not somewhat fluent in GIMP (or PhotoShop for that matter), you need to go find a tutorial. For those that are... create either a new RGB image of size 720x480 or take an existing picture you've picked up somewhere, import it, then resize the image to 720x480. I've found that it works really well to take a "desktop" type image and resize it to 720x480. Make sure you deselect the chainlink that maintains the aspect ratio. You will end up with a funny looking squashed picture, but it will look correct on your DVD player. Create a new transparent layer now, call it Buttons or something, make sure it is above the image layer, and put some text on it. This will be for the title selections, i.e., the menu. Just do white text. This is going to be used as a mask, so you'll get color later. Make sure you have turned off anti-aliasing and hinting. It won't look good if you have any of that stuff on (why? this text is gonna be squashed into a 4 color image). Once you've got it looking good duplicate the layer. Move the duplicate layer behind the text layer and select the dup. We're gonna make a drop shadow so the text will show up nicely. Use the selection tool (select region by color) to select just the text itself. The "ants" will be crawling around the outline of the text. Use the Grow tool to increase the size of the selection area by 2 pixels. Now fill it with black color. Don't use the bucket fill tool for that, use the "Fill with.." from the Edit menu. Now, select everything (Ctrl-A) and run it through the Blur filter. You might have to do it more than once. That gives us a nice text shadow. Wasn't that fun. The last step is to create a new layer that is solid black. Put this layer below the text layer.

Now save it... you'll want to save the whole project as you'll likely use it again. Once you've done that, we now need to save a couple of special views. First, make only the image layer, text and text shadow layers visible, i.e., hide the black layer. Save (a Copy) this as a TIFF file, e.g., menu.tif. Next, make just the text and black layers visible, should just be white text on a black background. Save (a Copy) this as a TIFF file, e.g., overlay.tif. Cool. Now we've got the two "fancy" parts we need to make the menu. (Why TIFF? it's lossless, that's all. You could do it with BMP as well.)

The last step here is to use the pointing tool in GIMP to find the upper left coordinates and lower right coordinates of where each "button" needs to be. These have to be fed into dvdauthor to create a working menu (example later). Write down those numbers. Not sure what I mean? Take a look at the attached pic, it's those outline boxes you need the coordinates for. Top left corner and bottom right corner, for each one.

Step 3: Build the menu for DVD

Create a file called overlay.sub and in it put one line (this assumes you're using the filenames above, adjust as appropriate):

overlay.png 00:00:00.00 00:00:00.00 0 0 0 0 255 255

We'll create overlay.png in a sec...

Convert your menu image into a VOB:

$ tifftopnm menu.tif | ppmtoy4m | mpeg2enc -f 8 -h -q 1 -o menu.m2v

Next, convert the text (overlay) into a 4-color PNG:

$ tifftopnm overlay.tif | ppmquant 4 | pnmtopng > overlay.png

(This file, overlay.png, is referenced above in the .sub file)

Next, multiplex it all together in to something usable:

$ mplex -f 8 -o /dev/stdout menu.m2v | submux overlay.sub > menu.mpg

Done with that.

(continued)