PDA

View Full Version : Tyserver Installation Problem

Firefly
05-27-2003, 06:02 PM
I have an SA TiVo running 2.5.5
I uploaded the tyserver package to /var and tried to install, but I got the message "cannot create the regular file ' /etc/rc.sysinit.tyserver' read only file system"
When I checked rc.sysinit, it had not been modified with the references to tyserver and tyindex.
Tyserver is working, but of course, every time the TiVo is rebooted, I have to run the installation script again.
I know I could take out the hard disk and modify rc.sysinit in the PC with a Linux boot disk, but I would prefer to do it in situ if possible.
I don't seem to have commands like chattr, lsattr available via Terraterm; presumably they are not installed on the TiVo.
Any help appreciated.

jimmypopali69
05-29-2003, 03:39 AM
i just got my turbo and installed it and all did the install for ty ang got same exact message... anyone ... please??

captain_video
05-29-2003, 08:43 AM
I could be wrong but it sounds like your Tivo is set as read only. You'll have to remount it as read/write to make any changes to the files. Check out the link for the Newbies Guide in the How Tos Only sticky in the main DTivo hacking forum. The info on mounting your drives as read/write is in the guide.

jimmypopali69
05-29-2003, 01:41 PM
sweet i FINALLY found it, fyi to all who need it its
"mount -o remount,rw /" then i re ran the tystudio install file, just fine, now i cant get any video still though it shows now playing list but stay at 0% i am running 3.1 and all the info i find about noscrabmle is for 2,5 or 3.1 dtivos i have a sa series 1 tivo it was a 14 hor now its a 260 hour and i would love to starting "archiving" some shows to dvd, any info on if noscramble works for 3.1 sa or not please let me know, THANKS!

captain_video
05-29-2003, 02:54 PM
SA Tivos don't scramble their recordings so you don't need noscramble for extraction. If TyStudio sits at 0% while trying to extract then most likely tyindex and tyserver aren't running on the Tivo. You may need to reboot the Tivo to get them going or you can initiate them manually. Type in "ps x" and see if both programs are listed in the current processes. If only one is listed, type in "kill xxx" where xxx is the number in the left-hand column that corresponds to the process that you wish to terminate. Now navigate to the directory where tyindex and tyserver were installed to and run them manually:

./tyindex
./tyserver

If you do a ps x again you should now see both processes show up in the list. You should now be able to extract using TyStudio.

Firefly
05-30-2003, 03:40 PM
sweet i FINALLY found it, fyi to all who need it its "mount -o remount,rw /"
Funnily enough, I'd managed to suss that the mount command was needed as well, after I started this thread.
Extraction to a .ty file works fine for me, but after that I seem to have trouble; I have made a few DVDs, but have problems with vertical splits in the screen and audio sync, despite doing everything correctly, as far as I can tell.
So I thought I'd have a go with the latest Tytool package.
Problem now is that when I try and send tserver_mfs6 to /var with Terraterm, it just bounces straight back!
Why is this? The NowShowing.tcl file transfers fine.