PDA

View Full Version : HD upgrade gave me 3.7, any way to get 3.5?

farlz
05-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Hello. I put in a larger hd and it dl'd the software, and of course with my luck it was the very day that phoneline updates switched from 3.5 to 3.7. Is it possible to revert to 3.5? I read the post on going back to 3.5, but I was wondering if my drive even has a 3.5 image on it since it was a new hd and it strated fresh with 3.7. Well, thanks in advance. --farlz

bcti
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks to Huculito on dsschat for the post.

UTV HDD SWAP, Via Computer or How To Save Your rev 3.5 for Future Use

This is not my work, or my Findings.. i Was helped and Allowed to post this info for all of you that need this help, I can help you with your questions.. since i already did this and it worked great

NOTE.. YOU NEED TO HAVE COMPUTER HARDWARE SKILL'S TO TRY THIS..OR ELSE YOU COULD DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV

YOU NEED A WORKING (NOT EVALUATION) COPY OF WINHEX

While the utv is running, unplug the ide cable, (leave power applied)boot your computer hit pause before it detects ide drives plug ide cable from computer into drive and hit enter the drive should now be detected.
run winhex, from tools select physical disk(start center on some versions,then select the physical disk that is your utv), from position goto offset 13480600 look at 13480624-7 in the display it should read FSNo
right click the first byte (13480600)select begining of block now from postition tab goto offset 154805ff right click, select end of block. from edit tab select copy all into new file and name it on your local drive.
(if FSNo is at 15480624 instead of 13480624 then select 15480600-174805ff and do the same)

Now that you have the file you can disconnect the drive and hook up your new drive. on the new drive select offset 0 as begining of block and 178c2fff as end of block. From edit tab select fill file,select first option and type in 00 for hex value (if the drive is already zeros you can skip this step)
after it zeros that chunk goto tools then disk tools then clone disk
on source file select read sectors from image file and select the file you saved from before. select your destination drive and start sector will be 631811 (this is lba 13480600 or sector 09a403 in hex...which is sector 631811 in decimal)(make sure you select copy entire source) and click ok it will write the sectors and you and the drive should be showing the data starting
at 13480600 now disconnect the drive install it in the utv plugin the power cord utv should now come up to the welcome to utv screen.

note this new hdd will no longer work on the computer unless you do the same procedure and erase all the content (i think i havent tried yet)

Hopes this helps many as it did helped me..
thanks to the finder of this info
DONT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF RUINING YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV
IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME AND DID IT TWICE

GOOD LUCK

farlz
06-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. But I'm not sure if that fix applies to my situation: Does a brand new hard drive that starts off with 3.7 by phoneline even have a copy of 3.5 on it? Thanks, farlz

bcti
06-03-2003, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure about a phone line 3.7 however I am going to make an image of my good 3.5 tivo to my hd crashed one some time in the next while. When I do I will share the file on kazaa and bearshare.

DDF
06-03-2003, 10:59 PM
no it won't have 3.5 on it.

your old drive, if you can get into it should still have the image you want.

The if is where i'm at also. LOL

As far as I have read is to leave old drive in UTV an power up and then disconnect the IDE cable an this will unlock the drive from the password. So it can be read in a PC with linux or win XP pro.

If i'm wrong someone please say so. :)

DDF

farlz
06-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately, I already used the swap method to unlock and reuse the old drive. If anyone could provide the 3.5 image I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again, Farlz

bcti
06-05-2003, 08:14 PM
I put an image called ultimate35.dat for sharing on kazaa and bearshare. I am however having a problem with it. My image was at the second address. The file I created is about 32 mb. when I load it to the first address on the new drive it wants to call into directv. I have the new drive set to master. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

neo1001
06-20-2003, 12:42 AM
I can't find that file anywhere. Can anyone help. BCTI I have pmed you and please reply. Thank you

centorian
06-22-2003, 05:49 PM
bcti,

It would be great if you could share that image, as that I am in need of it. Since I erased my old hard disk. :D

dgwhite
06-29-2003, 11:59 PM
I hate when people do the "me too" thing. But here I am, me too please. My harddrive gave up the ghost last week and I didn't have time to make an image of it. If anyone knows where to get a 3.5 image I would be forever thankful.

ipinvadr1
07-06-2003, 10:23 PM
I could also really use an image of 3.5

David Bought
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by dgwhite
I hate when people do the "me too" thing. But here I am, me too please. My harddrive gave up the ghost last week and I didn't have time to make an image of it. If anyone knows where to get a 3.5 image I would be forever thankful.

Quit threadcrapping. That is what private messages are for. If he ignores your PMs take the hint and look elsewhere.

If I could close this thread right now I would.

Edocecrous
07-10-2003, 07:57 AM
I could use a 3.7 image if someone has it..., my old HDD died, and freakin Micro$oft's website is so unstable, i spent the whole night (from 6pm to 4am...) trying to download the software to the new drive...
The farthest i could go was 100 of 297...

Edo

ps.:And to David Bought: I do agree on using the PM-s, or else this thread will be long, but you could help you know, instead of posting your 'opinion', like anyone cares you would close this thread...

David Bought
07-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Edocecrous
ps.:And to David Bought: I do agree on using the PM-s, or else this thread will be long, but you could help you know, instead of posting your 'opinion', like anyone cares you would close this thread...

Good idea. Anyone who has not crapped in this thread is welcome to PM me.

apn64
07-22-2003, 03:16 PM
You can also extrapolate this procedure to back-up and/or transfer the whole drive image to a new same-size drive.

Instead of the copying the O/S partition, use WinHEX's Clone Disk function to do a sector to sector copy of the whole disk.

I've posted more detailed instructions at avs and dssbbs, hoever, if the destination drive is larger than the source, the UTV will not recongnise the extra space on bootup. It will correctly identify the drive, but the procedure does not do the necessary partition table edits or partition moves to use the whole drive. Still investigating that angle...