PDA

View Full Version : jdiner: help

CyberJaak
05-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi Jdiner,

I'm part of the UltimateTV community. It seems that we've come to a stand-still regarding video extraction. We've successfully obtained access to the hard drive and extracted the video/audio data from it (thanks to BlueCop). Unfortunately, as you know, direcTV is not fully compliant with the mpeg2 video standard and therefore we are stuck with a bad demuxer (massive amounts of artifacts). Would it be possible for you to write us an app to demux our extracted data or preferably add utv dump file support to your incredible tytools? I can send you some utv dump files for you to evaluate how different they are from the tivo ones to find out how much time and effort it would take you to code. The UTV community would be forever grateful. :)

Thank you!

-CyberJaak

captain_video
05-29-2003, 01:28 PM
No dice. We saw him first and you can't have him. Seriously, I doubt that josh would have the time or inclination to get involved with UTV extractions at this point because he's been totally dedicated to working with Tivos. If he ever gets finished with his projects I'm sure he'd enjoy a well-deserved break. UTVs and Tivos have completely different operating systems. There isn't a whole lot of data on Windows CE which is what the UTV has for an OS. Other than BlueCop, there isn't much interest in UTVs in these here parts as far as the major hackers are concerned. I can't speak for josh but I'm betting he'll tell you the same thing. Besides, UTVs are no longer being manufactured whereas Tivo is alive and well. Why would anyone want to go to the pains of developing hacks for a defunct system? Get smart and dump your UTV and get a DTivo. I did and I'm glad of it.

CyberJaak
05-29-2003, 01:34 PM
There's no need for him to get involved in the OS or extraction. We have a dump of the video stream. The two systems are very much alike since both DirecTivos and UTVs store the DirecTV video stream in-tact. Both systems share the same problem of dealing with the non-compliant mpeg2 that DTV uses.

I assume for jdiner it might be just a matter of dealing with the file structure that dvr.exe (utv extraction tool by BlueCop) puts out versus the ty format that dtivo users use. I could be wrong but it would be a shame not to ask jdiner himself to see if it's possible.

Thanks.

-CyberJaak

Fugg
05-29-2003, 03:31 PM
What results do you get when you run the existing dtivo tools on your extracted utv dumps? Heck, send me a stream, I'll try if you don't want to!

I actually was beginning to think the subject was just about dead in the utv forum here. I even saw a post from one guy telling someone who asked "just use a capture card"!!! (in extraction land that's the equivalent of someone saying "Get away from me kid, your bothering me...")

If there was more discussion about the subject going on where folks with a little experience on whacking on dtv streams would see them, you never know what might happen!!
;)

CyberJaak
05-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Using the latest vsplit3 that I've found (version 3.01 beta #1), here is the output I get:

C:\pvr>vsplit3 p1053655158 1.m2v 2.mp2
Processing 'p1053655158': (10 chunks per tick)
Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

I assume that vsplit3 probably looks for a very specific binary structure that's produced by the ty extraction tools. I'm assuming the problem is the initial dealing of the binary structure of the data extracted from the UTV (which is raw binary) and then everything else should fall in place (finding the audio and video 00 00 01 C0 and 00 00 01 E0 headers, etc etc).

I'm looking for a place to upload some dumped utv files. Will post once I find a good place to host them.

Thanks

-CyberJaak

el jefe
05-29-2003, 03:53 PM
If jdiner doesn't want to or have to time to do it, you could always download the source for tydemux and see how tystudio does it, and make whatever modifications need to be made for UTV stream, or at least get an idea as to how close TiVo and UTV streams are.

CyberJaak
05-29-2003, 03:58 PM
thanks for the tip el jefe. I've taken a quick look at the CVS sourceforge tydemux files. Impressive stuff.

-CyberJaak

Fugg
05-29-2003, 04:06 PM
"Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks..."

Try this:

vsplit3 -j100 p1053655158 1.m2v 2.mp2

no good?

Try this:

vsplit3 -j500 p1053655158 1.m2v 2.mp2

CyberJaak
05-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Fugg, same problem. Thanks for the help though

C:\pvr>vsplit3 -j100 p1053655158 1.m2v 2.mp2
Jumping 100 chunks into input (13107200 total bytes)

C:\pvr>vsplit3 -j150 p1053655158 1.m2v 2.mp2
Jumping 150 chunks into input (19660800 total bytes)

C:\pvr>vsplit3 -j500 p1053655158 1.m2v 2.mp2
Jumping 500 chunks into input (65536000 total bytes)

Are there any sample .ty files (from a directivo) that I can take a look at online? Maybe we need a conversion tool that converts utv extracted data into the ty format.

-CyberJaak

Fugg
05-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Heay CyberJaak!

here's an idea,

Run your stream thru the "ty enabled mplayer"!!!

If you ever find a place to put your stream, I'd love to play with it.

jdiner
05-29-2003, 11:48 PM
For the record. I built the latest version of VSplit and TyTool to support multiple input types.

I have send CyberJaak a message about getting some test streams to see what is in there. If it is simple I will add support for it now. If not it might have to wait but at some point both DISH Tivo units and UTV might be supported.

--jdiner

CyberJaak
05-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply jdiner. I've PMd you.

For others who would like to see a small UTV sample stream, here you go:

ftp://samplestream:utv@ftp.members.lycos.co.uk

-CyberJaak

jdiner
05-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Hummm. I took a hex editor to one of the provided files. Easy to identify much of what is going on. If what I think is happening is it should be almost trival to get everything going.

But I will wait to do anymore for the information from you or bluecop or...

--jdiner