PDA

View Full Version : HD Upgrade in UTV

centorian
05-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find the software and instructions on upgrading my UTV HD to 120Gigs ?

I am a newbie to UTV, but I know DirectTivo pretty well.

Thanks

fixn278
05-30-2003, 02:15 PM
It's as easy as putting in a blank compatible drive and letting the machine dialup to download the image, but here's a link to the long version...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19506

centorian
05-30-2003, 02:23 PM
fixn278 : Thanks, really helpfull.
:D

klassic
05-30-2003, 05:31 PM
centorian
Remember when the UTV downloads the OS for the new drive, it will be 3.7 and you can't use an HU card.

centorian
05-30-2003, 07:15 PM
:eek: Yeah I just found that out.....
Is there away of loading the previous OS that accepts HU's ?
:confused:

bcti
06-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks to hurculito for posting this at dsschat

UTV HDD SWAP, Via Computer or How To Save Your rev 3.5 for Future Use

This is not my work, or my Findings.. i Was helped and Allowed to post this info for all of you that need this help, I can help you with your questions.. since i already did this and it worked great

NOTE.. YOU NEED TO HAVE COMPUTER HARDWARE SKILL'S TO TRY THIS..OR ELSE YOU COULD DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV

YOU NEED A WORKING (NOT EVALUATION) COPY OF WINHEX

While the utv is running, unplug the ide cable, (leave power applied)boot your computer hit pause before it detects ide drives plug ide cable from computer into drive and hit enter the drive should now be detected.
run winhex, from tools select physical disk(start center on some versions,then select the physical disk that is your utv), from position goto offset 13480600 look at 13480624-7 in the display it should read FSNo
right click the first byte (13480600)select begining of block now from postition tab goto offset 154805ff right click, select end of block. from edit tab select copy all into new file and name it on your local drive.
(if FSNo is at 15480624 instead of 13480624 then select 15480600-174805ff and do the same)

Now that you have the file you can disconnect the drive and hook up your new drive. on the new drive select offset 0 as begining of block and 178c2fff as end of block. From edit tab select fill file,select first option and type in 00 for hex value (if the drive is already zeros you can skip this step)
after it zeros that chunk goto tools then disk tools then clone disk
on source file select read sectors from image file and select the file you saved from before. select your destination drive and start sector will be 631811 (this is lba 13480600 or sector 09a403 in hex...which is sector 631811 in decimal)(make sure you select copy entire source) and click ok it will write the sectors and you and the drive should be showing the data starting
at 13480600 now disconnect the drive install it in the utv plugin the power cord utv should now come up to the welcome to utv screen.

note this new hdd will no longer work on the computer unless you do the same procedure and erase all the content (i think i havent tried yet)

Hopes this helps many as it did helped me..
thanks to the finder of this info
DONT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF RUINING YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV
IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME AND DID IT TWICE

GOOD LUCK