PDA

View Full Version : mplayer, erm what does it do?

chris_tivo
05-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Sorry to ask this rather obvious question but I've been following the thread for quite a while on mplayer and didn't want to add extra spam to the group.

As I gather it mplayer is a method of watching tivo programs straight off of the tivo, correct?

Is it easy to use and install, as the thread seems to spend a lot of time talking about compilation/installations issues. The other issue is, does it really work?

I can watch tv on my pc anyway at the second because I have a tv card connected, but it intrigues me still and the picture is not as good as i would like.

Thanks

Fugg
05-31-2003, 10:01 AM
from the 1st post in the thread ty enabled mplayer beta test (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22972)

==Purpose==
Allows streaming of recorded programs off a TiVo or local TiVo streams
to play onto a PC. No intermediate storage is required. No re-muxing
is required My goal is to use my TiVos as SD recording devices that sit
in my closet and PCs around my house as playback devices.

NOTE - If you want to make DVD-Video, please use tydemux, this is not
the project your are looking for.

==Features==
-Local playback with complete skip control
-Remote playback (on TiVo) with complete skip control

The latest local pc client (ver. 0.15) consists of 3 files:
mplayer.exe and 2 support files, cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll.

Installation of the client? Extract these files in to a directory of your choice and run from there.

To play a file directly from a tivo you need the tivo server, VStream 1.2. The .gz file includes all the source to compile vserver(the program to run on the tivo for streaming), plus a pre-compiled server (vserver). If you don't want to compile it again, this single file is the only one in that package that you need.

Installation of the server? Move the vserver file to the tivo, run "chmod +x vserver" and your ready to go.

Detailed usage instructions avaiable at http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/

"Does it really work?"

Hell Yes!!! Like a friggin' champ!!!
:)

chris_tivo
06-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks!

Works like a charm and it was easy to setup. A bit of stutter but then I can live with that. Works especially well with ty files, which I like too!

Maybe this is one to add to the consolidated links thread, or perhaps I'm the only person who has not tried mplayer yet.

Seems a pity this is not built into tystudio and tytools, maybe one day...(the day when this board is quiet because everyone can create DVDs/divX/VCDs and cut to their hearts content with whatever tool they want and total lipsync :) )

Pete Ruttman
06-01-2003, 08:54 AM
There is a cache setting for the command line that will help with the stutter or use the mplayerGUI which also buffers I believe. Here's the command line I just tested:

c:\cygwin\bin\mplayer -cache 8192 blah.ty

Fugg
06-01-2003, 09:01 AM
"Maybe this is one to add to the consolidated links thread"

It's been there since the thread was started.

chris_tivo
06-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Sorry I know mplayer has been there and I love the consolidated links and I've used it. I meant the information, a bit more info on what each app does and pros and cons.

There is a link for mfs-ftp and I gather this is a ftp server for .ty files or some such, but without wading through a hundred posts on the subject which can often be out of date until you get to the last few pages. A simple this is what this does and this is the current status about each one would save many hits on that search button I'm sure. :)

Thanks Fugg I appreciate the effort, I read your post and I agree its better to consolidate these things into one sticky.

Fugg
06-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Check out the how-to thread and the first post in the mfs_ftp thread. The first post in a big thread like that is usually kept updated with the newest info.

chris_tivo
06-02-2003, 01:59 AM
I agree it is true that the top post often has the details you need in, but not the current status.

Some people have a life outside this forum and it can actually be quite hard work trawling through posts to find out x app only works when the wind blows from the east and moon is waxing...if your lucky.

Anyway its not a big issue there are more important things in life.

cwingert
06-02-2003, 09:23 AM
This attitude will get you tons of support here.

Keep it up.

Originally posted by chris_tivo
I agree it is true that the top post often has the details you need in, but not the current status.

Some people have a life outside this forum and it can actually be quite hard work trawling through posts to find out x app only works when the wind blows from the east and moon is waxing...if your lucky.

Anyway its not a big issue there are more important things in life.

chris_tivo
06-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Never mind.

Thanks for help anyway.