PDA

View Full Version : Only way to get Telnet and FTP on a Series 2?

Shawn123
05-31-2003, 11:45 AM
What is the esiest way to get a Telnet and FTP working on a Series 2 TiVo?

mrblack51
05-31-2003, 11:52 AM
follow the step by step directions in the sticky threads

tinman
06-01-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm a little unclear on how to set up my network so that I can access the HDVR2. Yes, I have a USB to 10/100 connector. I'm aware I need to add these lines to a hackinit or rc.sysinit.author file:

insmod /diag/usbcore.o
insmod /diag/usb-ohci.o
insmod /diag/pegasus.o
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.97 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
#route add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
tivoftpd

And that I need to substitute a static address for my TIVO in place of the two 192.168.1.XX entries.

Here are my questions:

First, I run a Netgear FR 314 Firewall Router that uses DHCP but has the capability of assigning static addys. Here's the documentation:

"Static addresses are used by machines that require a fixed IP address. For example, machines running Web or FTP servers would require static addresses. If a static address is assigned, then that machine will always get the same IP address. This is not always true for dynamic addresses, whether it's a DHCP or Dynamic BootP client. To create a static IP address to be assigned to a requesting client, enter an IP address and the hardware (MAC) address of the client machine in the appropriate fields and then click the Update button. The transmit operation will take a few seconds to complete. Once completed, a message confirming the update will be displayed at the bottom of the Web browser window."

So far, so good. But how do I obtain my MAC addy for the TIVO? Also, do I have to actually assign two static addys, one for the broadcast and the other for?? What's the purpose of this? The boxes on DHCP all seem to have a single addy.

Finally, I have a default gw on my LAN. I note this line is commented out in the above. Is that because I don't want my box hanging out there in the "wind" so to speak to be attacked on the web or for some other reason(s)? I note there have been some discussion on accessing the DTIVOs remotely but there's also a danger in doing so.

mrblack51
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by tinman
First, I run a Netgear FR 314 Firewall Router that uses DHCP but has the capability of assigning static addys. Here's the documentation:

So far, so good. But how do I obtain my MAC addy for the TIVO? Also, do I have to actually assign two static addys, one for the broadcast and the other for?? What's the purpose of this? The boxes on DHCP all seem to have a single addy.

the router is simply using dhcp to assign the addresses in the setup it mentions in its manual, but it guarantees that the specific machine will always get the same ip via DHCP. it you didnt set that up, the ip could change if the router were reset. the s2 dtivos dont have dhcp stuff built in, so you cant use DHCP in general (unless you get the files from an S2 SA unit).

for the tivo, just pick an address outside your router's DHCP range. generally, your router will have a stgarting DHCP address, like 192.168.1.100, and a specefied number of DHCP addresses available, like 32. you would want to pick something higher or lower than the dhcp addresses, like 192.168.1.99, or 192.168.1.200.

oh, and the mac address for any standard network card will be a hex number, generally on a label on the card itself, with a barcode above often.

Finally, I have a default gw on my LAN. I note this line is commented out in the above. Is that because I don't want my box hanging out there in the "wind" so to speak to be attacked on the web or for some other reason(s)? I note there have been some discussion on accessing the DTIVOs remotely but there's also a danger in doing so.

a firewall router (esp the so-called dsl/cable routers) will block all incoming data to the units inside your lan because it is using NAT. the only time data gets in from the outside is as a responce from a request from a computer on your LAN. the exception is if you specifically set your router to direct certain traffic (such as ftp traffic on port 21) to be allowed in and sent to a certain computer.

the default gateway setting tells the tivo/computer that if it can't find a computer on the local network (192.168.1.XXX), it should send that request to the gateway, which will direct it to the proper recipient if possible. by turning off the default gateway setting on the tivo, you are restricting it to only seeing stuff on your local network. this has the effect of preventing the unit from trying to 'call home' via the internet to send logs, upgrade the software, etc. (note that the tivo phone home is completely seperate from the dtv phone home).