PDA

View Full Version : I have a Ty file - now what?

jmhenry5150
05-31-2003, 03:21 PM
OK, here's the deal. I have read and read and read and can't figure this out.

I have:
- Phillips DTivo
- Turbonet
- noscramble
- TyStudio Server

I can extract the Ty file just fine from the TiVo using TyStudio, but when I try and process the file, nothing works very well.

I have tried every combination, an SVCD, with no audio transcoding and with 44100...I have tried generic mpeg2 with all sorts of different audio transcoding...to no avail.

When I play the .mpg file back, the video gets distorted ALOT along with the audio being out-of-sync.

Another thing, when I open the file in Power DVD, it shows a very distorted video feed for a sec, then puts my show in the upper left corner of the window, with other video distortion around it...weird! Any ideas here?

BTW, this was done without any cut points.

All I want to do is take this hour long Ty file and process it so that I can burn to a VCD to watch on a DVD player that can play VCD's on a burned disc.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is there an easier tools out there? TyStudio seems to be very easy, but for me, it just ain't working.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

captain_video
05-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24699

chris_tivo
05-31-2003, 07:52 PM
Can you save the video to an elemental stream (ie an m2v and m2a) these should both play in powerdvd.

If you can get that far then create a DVD in IfoEdit and see if if the VOB and Ifo play in powerdvd with synced sound.

If that fails and you've read the link above I have no idea. Maybe you should try tytools/tyserver or post more info.

jmhenry5150
05-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Well, thanks for pointing me towards a 13 page thread that completly confused the heck out of me...

Any way someone can point me in a direction that's a little more easier to understand? Not that I'm ungrateful, but I am WAY new to this and need a little help.

Like I said, I have a Ty file, but nothing I do with it seems to be any good....

Thanks for any info...

-Mike

captain_video
05-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Well you asked to be pointed in the right direction for an easier tool to use and that's exactly what I did. TyStudio currently has too many issues that prevent it from being of any use for editing in its current iteration, IMO (I've never been able to get a synched file out of it yet). The 13 pages of posts mostly deal with problems that surfaced right off the bat with the release of the latest version of TyTool7. I wouldn't worry about all the posts in the thread unless you run into a problem. If you do, reread the thread to see if anyone else has reported the same problem as well as posting a solution. Download the TyTool7r2.zip file (it may be up to 7r3 by now) and read the release notes that are included. It should give you step-by-step instructions on using the program. You'll also need the NowShowing.tcl and tserver_mfs6 files to install on your Tivo for extraction purposes. Check this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23816) thread for snoopy's post containing the tytool7r2 (everything).zip file. It includes all the necessary files for setting up TyTool. The latest release of TyTool will allow you to extract, edit, and create a set of VOB files with basic menus and chapter stops that can be burned directly to DVD using Nero or any other DVD burning program. TyStudio requires that you extract and edit with it and then author with a separate program and then burn with yet another program. You won't find a simpler package than TyTool7. If this still confuses you then you've got a lot more reading to do.

jmhenry5150
05-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Not too confused - I did read that post and I tried out TyTools...however, after installing the NowShowing tool and the server piece, I could not get it to retrieve a title list from TiVo.

Mabye because TyStudio server is also running? How do you stop the TyStudio server?

Also, remember I'm trying to make VCD's not DVD's...does that matter?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any help...just looking for some answers as everything that I have tried gives the same result: a mpg file with ALOT of video distortion (which also is in the corner of the playback window) and a file that I can't figure out how to author to a cd.

I was however successful in creating seperate m2v and m2a files...what app can I use to combine these files into an mgp that can be burned as a VCD???

Thanks again!

rc3105
05-31-2003, 11:28 PM

captain_video
06-01-2003, 12:44 PM
however, after installing the NowShowing tool and the server piece, I could not get it to retrieve a title list from TiVo.

Did you make the files executable after transferring them to your Tivo? If not, you need to do a "chmod +x NowShowing.tcl tserver_mfs6" from the bash prompt. Start the tserver_mfs6 utility manually from bash on the Tivo (./tserver_mfs6 from within the directory you uploaded these files to) and then open up TyTool on your PC. Make sure you've got the Tivo's IP address specified at the top and click on Refresh. When you see the NowSowing list you can highlight the shows you want and then click on the Get button to begin the transfer. Keep in mind that you also need noscramble running on your DTivo prior to making any recordings or you won't be able to extract anything. TyTool will mux the ty file directly to an mpg file so you don't need any other programs other than the authoring software to create your VCD.

jmhenry5150
06-02-2003, 11:50 AM
It was PowerDVD.

I installed WinDVD and the mpg files played flawlessly. I thought it was all in TyStudio...my apologies to them.

Next is to get it to the DVD player. A SONY DVP-NS700P.

Here's what I have done:
- Encoded an SVCD using TyStudio. I now have an mpg file.
- Encoded a VCD using TyStudio. I now have an mpg file.

I used Nero to burn these:
- SVCD took about 10 minutes. Put it into the DVD player, I get "Disc cannot be read"
- VCD took 5 HOURS!!!!!. Put it in the DVD player, I get nice splash screen, and I have to navigate off of it - but it works! However the audio is out of sync. Doh!

So, I'm stuck here.

It seems my DVD player will not play SVCD's but it will play VCD's.

Why in the heck did it take so long for Nero to process and burn the VCD?

Why is the audio out of sync?

Anyways, thanks for any help guys...

-Mike

sabasigh
06-02-2003, 12:22 PM
My guess is that Nero took your mpeg file and re-encoded it.

If you haven't already, browse the guides and how-to's at www.dvdrhelp.com.

There are how-to's to make VCD's & SVCD's

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=4;

These will help you take whatever output you have from Tystudio, and make it compliant for whatever media you ultimately want.

captain_video
06-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Your audio is out of synch because you're using TyStudio. Don't apologize to the authors because they haven't fixed the problems yet. Your Sony 700 may be too old to recognize VCD's although I'm surprised it liked SVCD's instead. I have a Sony 715 and it likes all my DVD-R/-RW discs just fine. I've never created a VCD or SVCD so I can't vouch for them. I agree with sabasigh's assessment that your video has been reencoded (it can take a very long time to do this). I've also never had any problems with PowerDVD playing my mpegs from TyTools or TyStudio except for the audio synch issue.

jmhenry5150
06-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Hmmm....

I think you got it backwards, the Sony DVP-NS700P accepts VCD's not SVCD's.

I have searched the forum at VCDeasy, and have found a way to trick the player into thinking it was playing a VCD, but it's actually a SVCD.

Here's (http://www.vcdeasy.org/modules.php?name=_Guides&op=print&id=VcdTrick#vcdtrick) the link.

So, instead of using TyStudio, I should use TyTools. I tried that but couldn't figure out how to get it to process a Ty file into a complient VCD mgeg format...any hints?

Thanks!

captain_video
06-02-2003, 01:26 PM
You're right. I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. I'm afraid I'm not going to be any help with VCD/SVCD creation. I never had the desire or felt the need to learn once I could make DVDs (image quality is way better). I got my DTivos because of their superior image quality. Going to a lesser format would be a major step backwards, IMHO. But hey, that's just me. I know there are lots of others here that make VCDs & SVCDs so I'm sure someone will have a solution for you.

jmhenry5150
06-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Yeah - i know, VCD is superior but at this point and time I don't have a DVD burner...

My ultimate goal here is to get all of the Sopranos on VCD instead of buying the box sets. That's why I started this. I figure VCD should be just as good as watching it on TiVo...The episode I burned last night actually looks wonderful on my computer...very surprised...

Anyways, I will try the SVCD Header trick and see if that works.

One quickie though, how do you get TyTools to process a Ty file that is ready for burning?

Thanks!

captain_video
06-02-2003, 03:34 PM
OK, now I think you've got it backwards. VCD is nowhere near as good as watching it on a Tivo. VCD and SVCD are definitely inferior to DVD. In fact, DVDs created from a DTivo look as good as the original DTV feed. I think VCDs and SVCDs vs. tyDVDs are like comparing VHS and S-VHS to DVD. It may not be as discernible on a small TV (i.e. 27" or less) but once you start getting into larger screens the difference will be readily apparent. I only use codecs on my PC to check my DVD compilations prior to burning them to disc. I couldn't envision sitting in front of my PC to watch a movie, even on my 21" monitor.

I upgraded to a 50" Mitsubishi RPTV several years ago and I won't even watch a videotape on it anymore because it's way too grainy. Even a DTV signal is grainier than I'd like but it's the best I can get short of installing a BUD or buying an HDTV set. My advice would be to save your sheckels and get a DVD burner. I just saw one advertised in a flier I received from either Outpost.com or Esystor the other day for about $180 and I think it was a Pioneer A05.

jmhenry5150
06-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Well, I did a test and the quality was rather good. I just need to get it in synch and all...

I know, a dvd burner is on the list for christmas :)

Pro-289
06-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
In fact, DVDs created from a DTivo look as good as the original DTV feed.
But isn't the video from a DTivo recorded at 480x480? And Isn't that the video format for an SVCD?

I know VCDs are 352x240, and DVDs could be 720x480. But if you start with 480x480, there's no way to gain quality by going to 720x480. It's like trying to convert a 96kbps MP3 to 320kbps to make it better quality.

Am I missing something here? Do the DTivos actually record in a higher quality than 480x480? Do SVCDs compress the .ty more than DVDs?

jmhenry5150
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Arg!

I can't find instructions on how to create an mpeg using tytools...anyone?

thanks!

bato
06-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Pro-289
But isn't the video from a DTivo recorded at 480x480? And Isn't that the video format for an SVCD?

I know VCDs are 352x240, and DVDs could be 720x480. But if you start with 480x480, there's no way to gain quality by going to 720x480. It's like trying to convert a 96kbps MP3 to 320kbps to make it better quality.

Am I missing something here? Do the DTivos actually record in a higher quality than 480x480? Do SVCDs compress the .ty more than DVDs?
Dtivos save the stream, if they send it 480x480 then is saved that way.

Most of us we keep the 480x480 video and create the DVD without changing the video so we get the same video in our DVDs as the original transmited stream from the sat.

I think you can create a SVCD like that some players will play, but some won't. This is because Dtivo audio is at 48khz not 44.1 and the bitrate is higher than a normal SVCD.

captain_video
06-03-2003, 10:20 AM
I can't find instructions on how to create an mpeg using tytools...anyone?

Try reading the release notes that are included in the TyTool7r2.zip file.

jmhenry5150
06-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Mabye I missed something, but those notes only tell what has been changed in the new release....

I will check again...

Just a quick update:
- I extracted my Ty file using TyStudio
- I created an SVCD mpeg using TyStudio (This is the process I want to change)
- I did the header trick from above using TMPGEnc
- I then burned with Nero, however I closed thw wizard and unchecked "MAKE A COMPLIENT VCD"
- Burned in 5 minutes

It worked pretty well!

Little jerky on my DVD player, I think if I create the mpeg with TyStudio, I think it may fix that...anyways, I think I'm getting close....

BTW - I tried using VCDeasy, I just souldn't get past the scanning of the mpeg process...it would jusy lock up...any ideas?

captain_video
06-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Mabye I missed something, but those notes only tell what has been changed in the new release....

Sorry 'bout that. It's not the release notes but the DVD and Menu.doc that's included in the same zip file for TyTool7r2. Step-by-step procedures are included for creating an mpeg or VOB file with menus for direct burning to DVD.

jmhenry5150
06-03-2003, 10:36 PM
OK, I've looked inside the zip for instructions on how to create an mpeg and I just can't find it...

Can someone just post simple instructions on how to create an mpeg with TyTools...?

Thanks...

captain_video
06-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Try downloading the TyTool7r2.zip file again from the sticky thread. There are three Word docs in the zip file. One of them has the instructions for creating a DVD using TyTool. Here's the link for snoopy's file with everything included:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24927

jmhenry5150
06-04-2003, 08:36 AM
But I'm not trying to create a DVD, just an mpeg for a VCD...

captain_video
06-04-2003, 08:45 AM
So you just using the feature to create an mpeg and not the VOBs or IFOs.

jmhenry5150
06-04-2003, 08:46 AM
So, you're saying for me to follow the instructions until an mpeg file is made then stop. Then I can use that mpeg as the source for a VCD? Will I have to do anything else to the mpeg before I burn?

Thanks again!

captain_video
06-04-2003, 10:06 AM
I can't help you with VCD production past the mpeg stage. I'm guessing that you will have to transcode the audio to a different sampling rate but I don't know for sure. You might try this (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/) site for info on creating your VCDs.

jmhenry5150
06-05-2003, 10:06 AM
I now have in my hands a VCD that has a menu for my episode of Sopranos that plays for 10 seconds and that plays perfectly in my Sony DVD player...and looks as close as it can get to TiVo quality too!!!

Here's my work flow for others:

- Retrieve Ty file from TiVo using TyStudio
- Cut out erroneous programming with TyStudio
- Create Mpeg with TyStudio using the following settings: SVCD, 44100 audio
- Perform the header trick (as my Sony DVD player won't play SVCD's but it will play VCD's) - use TMPGEnc - settings - Very important - choose "MPEG-1 Video-CD" as your header
- Burn with Nero. Very important, uncheck the "MAKE COMPLIENT CD" chekbox

There ya go!

I will post this in a new thread so that everyone will take a look.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help you guys have given...

-Mike

TroyCarpenter
06-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Ok, now it is my turn to have everyone jump on me for not reading something, but here goes...

What is "the header trick"?

I too have an older sony that plays VCDs and not SVCDs, so I will be needing to do the same trick you did.

And did I miss the new post you referred to?

TroyCarpenter
06-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by TroyCarpenter
Ok, now it is my turn to have everyone jump on me for not reading something, but here goes...

What is "the header trick"?

I too have an older sony that plays VCDs and not SVCDs, so I will be needing to do the same trick you did.

And did I miss the new post you referred to?

Yes, I did miss it, and I will re-ask my header question there.

jmhenry5150
06-09-2003, 01:58 PM
BAH!

I won't yell :)

Here ya go:

http://www.vcdeasy.org/modules.php?name=_Guides&id=VcdTrick