PDA

View Full Version : TyStudio 0.5.0 'Official' thread

Pages : [1] 2

MrBassMan
06-02-2003, 11:06 AM
tyStudio is a suite of programs for extracting shows from your Tivo and editing out commercials. Output can be elemental streams or MPEG. Audio transcoding can be done as well.

tyStudio programs include:
tyindex and tyserver - Servers that run on your tivo
tyeditor - Remove commercials and control the extraction process
tydemux, typrocess, tytranscode, tymplex, tyls, tyget - Command line programs for those that like to do things manually

The tystudio release packages are now under Sourceforge's file release control system. I have had to do this because it is against Sourceforge's acceptable Use Policy to put the download files in the web space. We are supposed to use the release system and place a link to that on the web site.

All the components are in place for the following packages:

tystudio - documents
tystudio - win32
tystudio - tivo
tystudio - linux
tystudio - mac

Final release 0.5.0 versions are on the site for win32 and linux.
Until the tivo and mac versions have been rebuilt, 0.5.0 (Beta 2) versions of these files have been made available.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-create

BE WARNED - The site http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/ has not been updated yet and still contains the old versions

MrBassMan

rc3105
06-09-2003, 03:24 PM
note:
info in this thread is still valid but development has largely been on the mac side lately. please see the Updated TyStudio source code! OS X now builds! (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42234) thread for the latest & greatest.

___

ok folks, try to post all your questions / suggestions for this version of TyStudio here

BEFORE posting PLEASE!:

1) make sure you have the latest version & read the info that was included (setup & basic usage)

2) read through this thread for your particular issue. using the show printable version (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/printthread.php?s=&threadid=24883&perpage=1000) view you can save the entire thread to disk & easily search through it with your browser

3) try a search or three to see if the question has allready been asked & answered

frequently asked questions

Q. Does TyStudio produce vob files or burn dvd's directly?

A. No, TyStudio takes a tivo transport stream (tyfile) and converts it into regular mpeg

Q. What do I use to burn a dvd from the mpg?

A. Use your favorite dvd authoring software. most dvd burners come with sw of some sort, give it a try.

Q. Can I use <whatever> sw with tystudio mpeg?

A. Probably, search the board for references to <whatever> software & see if someone has allready posted a howto or faq

Q. Will tystudio editor process segments made by tychopper?

A. Yes

Q. Does tystudio interfere with <whatever> other tivo hack?

A. not really. if tyindex is busy and the tivo has a slow hd (like the stock quantum 40s) insertion via mfs_ftp can bog down. this isn't interferfance, it's just what happens when several programs access a slow hd at the same time (mfs_ftp runs at low priority to avoid slowing anything else down)

Q. does tystudio support S2 files?

A. yes, but none of the primary developers have S2's so its still a work in progress. tyserver & tyindex have been ported to the S2, you'll need to search this thread & the S2 forums to locate them

Droidyman
06-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi All,
Is there any way of getting Tystudio to not multiplex the resulting chopped extraction, but leave me with an .mpv and .mpa file?

tivonut1960
07-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Droidyman
Hi All,
Is there any way of getting Tystudio to not multiplex the resulting chopped extraction, but leave me with an .mpv and .mpa file?

In the Video To choose Elemental Stream to create the .mpv file and in the Audio To choose No Transcoding to get the .mpa file.

Droidyman
07-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Duhhh!!
someone's been feeding me stupid pills again!

Blaq
09-02-2003, 11:42 AM
[30-hour Phillips Series 1]

Yesterday, I installed tyStudio and was overjoyed to find it working beautifully with a test recording. I thought I'd patiently wait for tyindex to work through the dozen or so manual recordings I had in Now Showing.

Well, it's been a day now, and tyindex has only completed two shows!

/var/index/index listing:

-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 167502-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 169429-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 169432-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 169441-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 173041-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 173737-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 175595-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 0 Sep 2 15:33 175598-no
-rw------- 1 0 0 145927 Sep 1 23:11 179518
-rw------- 1 0 0 270609 Sep 2 13:47 179523

ps aux excerpt:

USER PID %CPU %MEM SIZE RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 235 7.6 11.9 2580 1668 ? S 13:31 9:51 /var/index/tyindex
root 255 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 18:35 0:00 /var/index/tyserver

so tyindex is loaded and running. Setting my TiVo on standby doesn't seem to make things run any faster.

What am I doing wrong? I thought I remember reading somewhere about giving tyindex a half-hour to initially index your shows...

Blaq
09-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Addendum: before I started hacking my TiVo, it was running 1.3 software. (Now version 3)

I just noticed that the two recordings that were indexed were from after the upgrade to version 3, and the others which tyindex doesn't seem to want to touch were recorded under 1.3.

Could this have anything to do with tyindex's apparent stall? (crossing fingers!)

Blaq
09-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks Riley, I just found a thread a minute ago that discussed problems with older (1.3) recordings. I guess this means there's nothing wrong with tyindex and it hasn't stalled -- it just looked at the older files and given up on them, thus the zero-byte "167502-no" index files.

For anyone with old 1.3 recordings who's reading this, go to this post from The_Cable_Guy. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=109978&highlight=TyDemux+0.3.1#post109978) He successfully used TyDemux 0.3.1 on his old recordings and it worked for him. He described his entire recipe for 1.3-to-DVD conversion! Thanks, T_C_G!

Elsewhere in that thread, VideoJedi posted a direct link to tydemux_w_0.3.0.zip (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=73603).

I used tyTool (TyTool7r8.exe) to pull one of the old recordings off the TiVo onto my PC. As predicted, tyStudio choked when I tried to load the local file into it, but T_C_B's recipe should work. More news later.

rc3105
09-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by TRILIGHT
Ok, I'd like to know what exactly is going on here. When I run TyStudio on my laptop, it indexes my TY files relatively quickly. Running it on my main workstation, it would take an HOUR or so if I were to let it finish trying to index!

I don't get it! I am using the SAME file on the SAME hard drive (it's an external firewire drive). The laptop is only a P3 700Mhz with 448MB of RAM. The workstation is a P4 2.4Ghz with 512MB of Rambus RAM. Both systems run Windows XP with SP1. I have no issues with ANY other software on either system other than TyStudio's indexing seemingly running fine on the laptop and slow as hell on the workstation. Any clues?
I've seen that before, it was caused by spyware running in the background. get the latest version of Ad-Aware & check the workstation

as for the speed & crashing differences beteen the worksation & the notebook, who the heck knows. try different video bit depths, run some utils to monitor cpu & memory utilization, shutdown other programs & see if it persists, try different recordings, install visual studio's debugger & see where it thinks the problem is. pc's are simply too complex to diagnose based on a simple "the other one works". works ok here on PII/PIII/Athlon boxes

--
Riley

lonaman
09-04-2003, 11:56 AM
First, let me apologize if this is a duplicate post. I posted this question last night, but I no longer see it. Second, I love your program. Thanks for the hard work. My question:

I have a large ty file (4 hours) that I want to edit and convert with TyStudio. Whenever I open this file, I get the following error: Failed to load the selected ty file. The log says:

demux: Probing TyStream .....
demux: Big ERROR - CAN'T DETECT FRAME RATE
tyeditor: Error in probe

I figured the size of the file might be an issue, so I used tychopper to break it into smaller segments. The first segment opens fine in tyeditor, but only shows the first 15 minutes when the size of the file would suggest it should be between 45 minutes and an hour. None of the other segments will open in TyStudio. Any suggestions?

TIA

rc3105
09-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by lonaman
Re: Can Tystudio editor handle ty file segments made with tychopper?

yes.

if it crashes repeatedly at the same point in the stream then the stream is probably corrupted at that point. try using tychopper to find and isolate the segment that's causing problems, then process everything else

(that ? has been asked & answered many times allready and also applies to streams that crash tytool)

--
Riley

aersloat
09-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Riley

I am curious as to whether you have any insight into where the OSX X11 development is. I lose audio sync badly with both the posted 0.5 betas when making any cuts (I have a series 1). I haven't been able to build it out of CVS-- and from the list archives it would seem that others are having the same problem. I have tried building GOPChop but that hasn't worked yet. I don't know how well GOPChop works anyway. The 0.5 betas otherwise work quite well. Josh's tools aren't that much help on OSX w/o audio transcoding or a GUI to find cutpoints. Anyway, if I was a coder I would love to figure out some of this stuff myself... The lastest post of vsplit won't even run for me (segmentation faults). There seems to be quite a few OSX lurkers out there and as of now we are kind of left out of the loop. Any news on a 0.5 final for OSX? Thanks. Any updated info you might have would be useful.

rc3105
09-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by aersloat
I am curious as to whether you have any insight into where the OSX X11 development is. I lose audio sync badly with both the posted 0.5 betas when making any cuts

for X11 progress I couldn't say. check the mailing list archives & see who got how far

edit: my bad, the mac version IS still a beta... the build I'm running on the G4 doesn't say beta but it's nearly the same as the 0.5b2a release. try using it for generating cutlists & build typrocess for actuall conversion?

--
Riley

TRILIGHT
09-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info, Riley! I was not aware that you were on the development team. This one problem is somewhat disconcerting for me since there is seemingly no solution, yet I really enjoy using the TyStudio editor so much. I guess I could just resolve myself to the idea that I have to do all editing on the laptop but considering my workstation is..well...my workstation, it's tough to not want to work the issue out. Thanks again for letting me know it's still being worked on.

09-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Make sure you're using the final copy of tystudio.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-create
The program sometimes hogs the CPU. Try turning off your AV software.

Both tystudio and tytools have issues with XP. I think most of them have been solved with the most recent releases.

TRILIGHT
09-05-2003, 10:38 PM
@newbie: I am in fact using the most recent releases of both tools. I made sure of this before beginning any testing. As I said before, the exact SAME TyStudio setup files were used on the laptop as on the workstation. If the version had a problem, the anomaly would manifest itself on both systems. As for other AV software running, it is not, though that should not make a difference either way in the grand scheme of things given the horsepower of that system.

@Riley: During my testing, I've noticed a strange problem that I did not see documented on the forum or as a "known issue" in the readme file. Most of my recordings have commercials that make up the end of the recording and I want to cut that last part out. I set a cut beginning right at the end of the show (beginning of final commercials) and I set the cut end at the very end of the entire recording. After processing, the video stops anywhere from 2-8 seconds early from where I actually set up the cut start. Is there a reason for this? I seem to have this happen every time. Thanks!!

rc3105
09-06-2003, 01:29 AM
that's caused by buffer / algorithm interaction. it takes a few chunks to fill them & "lock on" to the stream for analysis / repair / conversion. you sometimes lose a few seconds when the tydemux thread hits the cutpoint & the muxing thread can't construct / flush coherent gops. just set the cut start slightly later

--
Riley

rung
09-06-2003, 01:35 PM
I don't know if anyone else was seeing this, but I was having a tough time getting the cuts to work without crashing tydemux. I would keep moving my cut points until it worked. I now have a way of picking cut points that work every time <fingers crossed>. About a dozen or two uses without a single problem, so far. I simply find the start of the black space between show/commercial and pick the 2nd black GOP's - works every time. I used to pick the middle one, the last one, or the first one and it was about 50% crash/no crash. I don't know why. Just thought I would share my "technique" (superstition?).

lonaman
09-06-2003, 01:43 PM
I am in the process of using TyStudio to edit a college football game from last weekend. It kept crashing until I moved all of my cut points to within the actual network broadcast of the game. I recoreded it from a local channel, so many of the commercial breaks were from the local channel. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not, but I thought that something in the stream might change when the local channel pushed commercials and that might be causing the crashes. All of my cutpoints now show some part of the game as opposed to black or even the start of a commercial. It seems to work (superstition also? I dunno).

rung
09-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by lonaman
All of my cutpoints now show some part of the game as opposed to black or even the start of a commercial.

Yes, I noticed that too. If the local channel leaves no black space at all I had to go back TWO GOP's into the commercial/program. Blah!

rc3105
09-10-2003, 10:12 PM
...I was reading over the TyProcess documentation and I see examples using a "-f" switch. I do not see this switch documented in the readme that I have though. Can you give me some insight? Thanks!
typrocess is tydemux & mplex combined into one multithreaded app. a ty is split into mpa/mpv by a demux thread (identical to tydemux) and piped to the muxing thread (mplex). (so you don't need monster temp files)

-f is one of the standard mplex options, so when passed to typrocess it applies to the muxing thread

speaking of cmd line options, if you're using typrocess or mplex on tivo elementals don't forget to use -V for variable bitrate output. if your source is fixed vbr it won't hurt anything. if you mux tivo vbr into cbr mpeg it can balloon spectacularly due to padding issues

--
Riley

TRILIGHT
09-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info, Riley. Although, I'm not seeing anywhere that has what the different numbers on the -f switch do. I have text files in the install directory that cover usage of TYDEMUX, TYEDITOR, TYPROCESS, and TYTRANSCODE. The only one that mentions the switch is in TYPROCESS. Even so, it's only in the examples. The numbers 3, 4, and 8 are used but there is no explanation in the documentation (or that I could find via a search) that explains what a particular number here will do. Thanks!!

Fugg
09-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Heay Riley!

Are they the same as they are in mplex?

from the mplex 1.6 readme:
-f fmt
Set defaults for particular MPEG profiles
[0 = Generic MPEG1, 1 = VCD, 2 = user-rate VCD, 3 = Generic MPEG2, 4 = SVCD, 5 = user-rate SVCD, 6 = VCD Stills, 7 = SVCD Stills, 8 = DVD]

TRILIGHT
09-12-2003, 03:20 PM
That's what I am looking for, Fugg! It is an mplex switch. Where did you get that information? Because it is not part of the standard TyStudio installation.

EDIT: I would also like to know what TyStudio does differently when choosing either 3 (Generic MPEG) or 8 (DVD). There is no such thing as a "DVD MPG file" per se so I would like to know exactly what the specific differences are in these two settings. Thanks!!

max0
09-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Ty Studio suggests that you set Tivo's "host name". How do you do that? (for a Tivo Series I).

Thanks in advance everyone

lonaman
09-14-2003, 05:58 PM
In your Hosts file. Use a text editor to add the ip address to your hosts file. Do a search for files named hosts. Mine is in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc Yours mat be located somewhere else.

Martlet
09-14-2003, 05:59 PM
On a un*x machine, typically it's in the hosts file... just add the name and address like you would for a DNS.

For Mac OS X, you do it in NetInfo. Open the NetInfo Manager, add tivo under then /machines item, then add properties name=tivo, ip_address=###.###.###.###

For windows... who knows?

But since you didn't say what machine you were on, you must be a windows user, so this won't help you at all.

m2326
09-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Just loaded tystudio (from sourceforge) and I can get the now showing list to come up fine, but when I check "download to PC first" and select a file the download progress box comes up but never increments ... stays at zero percent. Any ideas? I'm running 2.5.1 dtivo and XP pro on the pc side.

thanks
-mike

max0
09-15-2003, 12:38 AM
You know ... you're right, I'm a win user. Although, I'm rapidly seeing the light on Linux... Another discussion for another day.

So maybe I'm not asking the right question. When I go to my router, it shows all the computers on the network by their computer name, like "Vaio", "Computer 1", etc. BUT, the Tivo just shows as no name , just (). What screws my life up, is that the Tivo also seems to change IPs sometimes.

The question I was TRYING to ask is if there's some way to give the Tivo a name that will show up on the router and on the Win-doze network descriptions.

Bill Gates Rulez!!!. I'm not sure what he rules, but he must rule something, he's got enough $$.

TRILIGHT
09-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Unless your names are assigned in the router, the router is probably just reading the NetBIOS names of your systems. I doubt you're running your own DNS server that is reporting this to the router. As for having the TiVo show up with a name there, I doubt you'll get that to happen. Maybe, but what's the point? Just so it will look pretty? It won't provide any functionality.

The idea behind assigning a name and IP address to the TiVo is just for ease of accessing the unit. It's nothing more than a common name assigned to the IP address. This way, you can just use the name "TiVo" in the blank instead of the IP. This must be done on your DNS server (if you have one), or in the local hosts file on the computer you're using.

Now, of course, this must have a static IP address associated with it and you're going to need to fix this on your own. If you're TiVo is showing up with a different IP address, then you have it set to obtain an IP via DHCP and it's probably grabbing this from your router. (Many home routers serve as a DHCP server). You're going to need to change your TiVo's network settings to assign a static IP address. That's definitely the FIRST place you need to start because you at least need to know where the hell to go to get to your unit. :)

sanderton
09-15-2003, 05:51 AM
TiVos do have static IPs - you set it when you install TurboNet.

As said above, on Windows system, search for the file called "hosts". Its location varies with versions of Windows. It's a text file (open it with NotePad) and its contents will look like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Tag a line on the end like this:

192.168.0.100 tivo

save it, and then you can refer to "tivo" instead of the the IP address, so http://tivo will connect you to TivoWeb.

m2326
09-15-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm still having problems with XP Pro as the client Tivo 2.51. I downloaded the new beta 2 release and installed it. It didn't kill the old processes, so I rebooted. Now I have:

drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Sep 15 13:46 index
-rw------- 1 0 0 12886 Sep 15 22:09 nowshowing
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 616394 Sep 15 00:16 tyindex
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 621693 Sep 15 00:16 tyserver

in the /var/index directory.

I confirmed that the client on XP says "Beta 2" in the about box. Every time I try to download a file from the tivo using "Load using Now Showing" the progress bar just hangs there with no download progress.

noscramble.o is loaded.

Any ideas where I can start looking? I do have a sniffer if that will help.

thanks -mike

rc3105
09-16-2003, 12:44 AM
ip issues

TyStudio tools menu, options, file locations tab, enter the hostname or ip address. if the tivo has a static ip you're good to go

however,

the tivo can have a static ip OR it can get one dynamicly from a dhcp server ( pc / router / cablemodem / nat / whatever )

latest version

get the latest version from the sourceforge link in the first post of this thread. this attached screenshot is what the about box should look like

DeadSock
09-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by m2326

noscramble.o is loaded.

The recordings you're trying to bring down we're made _after_ the noscramble was done?

If it is a scrambled recording, TyStudio will choke as you describe.

Also, not sure how you have your noscramble running (i.e. auto install/uninstall, always, manual).

I had my Tivo drives die (well actaully in death throws), so lost the recordings anyway. When I rebuilt it, I just started noscrambling *everything*.

Rob

m2326
09-17-2003, 07:55 AM
The recordings I was trying to bring down were recorded with noscramble.o - however it is a partial recording. It was able to be indexed (Indexed = yes in now showing).

I believe that I have the right execuatbles and I deleted the old stuff before installing (rm -r /var/hack). I redownloaded from the link in the beginning of this thread.

I am out of town right now but will be home tonight. I'll do CRCs on the executables and maybe someone can compare them for me.

thanks for all the help
-Mike

DeadSock
09-17-2003, 10:50 AM
I just checked my sizes and ...

total 1222
drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 1024 Sep 10 16:55 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 0 0 1024 Sep 16 23:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Sep 10 13:29 index
-rw------- 1 0 0 288 Sep 10 19:40 nowshowing
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 616394 Sep 9 20:47 tyindex
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 621693 Sep 9 20:47 tyserver

I'm suspecting yuor "nowshowing" is corrupt. yours is a radically dfferent size. the tyindex and tyserver are the same size so I'd bet their ok.

m2326
09-17-2003, 06:40 PM
I checked out the nowshowing file in /var/index, it looks to me like a temp file that is created when you request the shows on the TIVO.

THE GOOD NEWS is, that it looks like my problem had to do with the fact that I was trying to download a partial recording. When I got home tonight and tried a complete recording - it worked fine!

Thanks for the help!!

justauser
09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
I've been using TyStudio for a while and happy with the results. Able to make DVD's w/o too much difficulty from .ty files extracted.

My HD cratered this weekend and now have to re-extract numerous shows that are still on TIVO....

Was trying to use the ADD TO BATCH command but program (TyEdit) keeps crashing...

System is XP PRO - is that the problem or does the ADD to BATCH command not work.....

If it does work, ---how--- ????

Oh yes, I've used SEARCH on the forum for this but found nothing.... Did I miss it?

Thanks!

--justauser--

cosmic007
09-25-2003, 11:26 PM
i tired to install tyserver and got this error. anyone have any ideas?

Last login: Mon Sep 22 22:44:45 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] cosmic% telnet x.x.x.x
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to x.x.x.x.
Escape character is '^]'.
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tyserver.ppc.sh
bash: /var/hack/tyserver.ppc.sh: Permission denied
bash-2.02# bash /var/hack/tyserver.ppc.sh
: command not foundppc.sh:
: command not foundppc.sh:

: command not foundppc.sh: upgrade TyServer to /var/index, proceed? [yes]:
'var/hack/tyserver.ppc.sh: line 61: syntax error near unexpected token `
'var/hack/tyserver.ppc.sh: line 61: ` fi
bash-2.02#

awing_pilot
09-25-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm nbew to extraction and had a question. I have a directivo (dsr6K) on 2.5.2 with xplusz 3.1.0, and a NIC. I installed the tystudio application/server and can get it to run just fine.

my issue is i can't seem to watch on the tivo or transfer any of the nowpaying videos that are not indexed ( or index = NO) can i force an indexing? will i ever get to see my old shows again... on the tivo it tells me there was an error with the video. Now only the newly recorded videos ( since installing tyserver) show as indexed.

I tried a search but could not find what i was looking for

thanks in advance
Awing

justauser
09-27-2003, 12:08 AM
awing_pilot -

Print out the xPlusz commands...

You'll see that one of them is to control "NOSCRAMBLE" module.

The default is "Noscramble" = ON....

You cannot extract (so consequently, TyStudio will not index) any shows recorded before performing your upgrade because they were recorded "scrambled" and there is nothing that anyone can do about that, except to extract them via Analog means (i.e., VCR output)...

The advantage of xPlusz is that you have the capability of turning Noscramble on and off... read the documentation with xPlusz (included in your upgrade, or do a search here on "xPlusz")..

You can telnet into your Dtivo, or use the peanut-remote to control, to turn "Noscramble" off to watch your previously recorded shows... Don't forget to turn "Noscramble" back on, however, or anything you record, won't be extractable via tivonet (or turbonet)...

EDIT: Note that with Noscramble turned off, you can view programs that were recorded in scrambled mode (i.e., those that you recorded before performing 2.5.2 upgrade with xPlusz)... However, even though you can view them, you CANNOT extract them via network, only over the analog (VCR) output...

Hope this helps 'ya!

"justauser"

justauser
09-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Anybody use Batch capability with TyStudio???

Does it work???

If so, could you provide a pointer or hint or something toward directions for using it???

I've tried, but selecting "ADD to BATCH" crashes my XP PRO system....

Thanks for any assistance!

--justauser--

rung
09-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by justauser
If so, could you provide a pointer or hint or something toward directions for using it???

In the Tystudio install directory you will find *.txt files for tytranscode, tydemux and typrocess which will show you how to use these exe from the command line.

justauser
09-27-2003, 08:05 PM
First - thanks for the info on .txt files... I had previously seen them, read them over, but they didn't make too much sense... I extract to m2 type files (i.e., elemental stream, no transcoding) for my DVD authoring...

I worked with BATCH stuff last night and see that they are for "processing" files already downloaded.. I was hoping they (batch) was for anything TyStudio could do (i.e., capture from Now Showing) but not so...

I built a simple batch file but it didn't work. Oh well, that's life. Since it's for final processing, not for downloading, it's not too much interest to me at this time; later perhaps...

Now I have something REALLY puzzeling going on and wonder if anyone else has seen something like this..

I've downloaded perhaps 40 to 50 files from Dtivo with nary a hitch....

One particular episode of Sex and the City, consistantly "views" in TyEditor, as 21 minutes in length (chopping of last 9 minutes of the show)...

The file length is some 524k which is ballpark with other episodes (all 30 minutes). I've played the episode on the Dtivo and have indeed recorded the full 30 minutes...

I've tried multiple downloads with no success... Even tried TyTools7r10 but have the same result in TyStudio..... episode lasts only 21 minutes....

Anyone else have something like this happen???

System: Dtivo 2.5.2, Win XP Pro SP1, 512mb, slave 160G hd (2 partitions of 80 G. each) dedicated for video.

EDIT 9/28: OK, reloaded TyStudio and downloaded file again; still no better..... Tried TyTools7r10 to process file - it found a "reset" about 2/3rds the way thru the file. Corrected and fixed the error then continued with output... Result??? Complete show and SUCCESS!! Guess it goes to show that not any one tool will work 100% of the time... I'll still rely on TyStudio, but now have TyTools in my hip pocket for batch downloading...

Thanks!

--justauser

danfulton
09-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I've downloaded tystudio, extracted a few programmes, and encoded them to DivX no problem.

But ....

The now showing list is not updating to show whats on the tivo now showing list.

I've clicked refresh in tystudio, it is definitely connecting to the tivo, I've rebooted the tivo, checked that tyserver is running using ps aux.

and now I've run out of ideas !

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

Dan

kkmike
09-29-2003, 02:50 PM
I have been using TyStudio (DTiVo Series1) for several months and have never had a problem extracting a stream (other than damaged rain fade ones). Last week I had a problem with one program that wouldn't extract, the progress just stuck at zero. I hit cancel and then had to kill the process because TyStudio was not responding. I tried to extract it using another PC with the same result. I tried several other streams recorded the same day and they were fine - so I just figured I'd forget about this one. Then last night another one with the same problem. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Nothing has changed sowftare wise on my PC's or the DTiVo.

Thanks,
Mike

doosmac
10-02-2003, 01:10 PM
How can I uninstall tystudio from my TIVO?

I just find tytool more reliable and I think tystudio is making my TIVO very sluggish

thank you

doosmac
10-02-2003, 02:52 PM
after bit of search I got this

this is what I need to do to uninstall?
a) remove the entries to launch the daemon from rc.sysinit
b) delete the /var/index dir and all files it contains

I can delete /var/index but I don't know how to remove the entrieds to launch the daemon from rc.sysinit?

can someone help this noob?

thank you!

doosmac
10-02-2003, 08:14 PM
maybe I should have posted this in noob thread? sorry:p

bsullasc
10-04-2003, 02:50 AM
I just installed tystudio 0.5.0. When I open the editor and import a ty file it indexes to 49% and then the program crashes. I've tried running it under win 2K and XP with the same results on both OS's.

I did a search and found this thread http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26008&highlight=tystudio+editor

but it doesn't seem to answer why it's happening or how to fix the problem. Any ideas????

bsullasc
10-04-2003, 02:56 AM
I forgot to post the error log generated by Tystudio:

demux: Probing TyStream .....
demux:
demux: Tystream recorded on:
demux: SA Tivo Series 2
demux: Software rev 3.0 or higher
demux:
demux: Tystream recoding audio stats:
demux: MPEG Layer II audio
demux: Average tyrecord (audio) size: 588
demux: Audio frame size: 576
demux: Audio frame time: 2160 (ticks)
demux:
demux: Tystream recoding video stats:
demux: Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec
demux:
demux: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux: Read Chunk: chunk 0 - over flow in records - skipping
demux: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux: Skipping to chunk 1 - reseting chunk numbering

demux: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 2046 - bad chunk header - skipping
demux: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 2046 - bad chunk header - skipping
demux: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 2047 - over flow in records - skipping
demux: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4094 - bad chunk header - skipping
demux: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4095 - over flow in records - skipping

boboli
10-06-2003, 09:25 AM
I have been trying to process two large TY files for some time now. They are football games and contain a lot of cuts. This latest one I have been working doesn't seem to want to work right. I keep getting the "Failed to close GOP. Choose another Cut-Frame" error. Even though I have chosen a diff frame a dozen times, it still happens on that same area. Here is the end of the log:

demux: Cut start: chunk 35825 - Record
2 - time 907032822
demux: Cut stop: chunk 36151 - Record 31 - time 915287957
demux: Start stream: 0 Stop stream: 0
demux: Adding cutpoint - tyeditor file
demux: Cut start: chunk 39451 - Record 17 - time 998830276
demux: Cut stop: chunk 39851 - Record 60 - time 1008971269
demux: Start stream: 0 Stop stream: 0
demux: Cut start: chunk 42829 - Record 39 - time 1084357561
demux: Cut stop: chunk 51185 - Record 42 - time 1295883057
demux: Start stream: 0 Stop stream: 1
demux: Cut start: chunk 51183 - Record 43 - time 1295838013
demux: Cut stop: chunk 51183 - Record 43 - time 1295838013
demux: Start stream: 0 Stop stream: 1
demux: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux: Skipping to chunk 0 - reseting chunk numbering
demux: demuxing
demux: Cutting start of stream
demux: Audio offset (for mplex -O) is -16
demux: Start of new cut reached
demux: Start of new cut rea
ched
demux: End of cut reached
demux: End of cut reached
demux: We can't close gop
demux: We should be okay to close the gop - chunk 2924
demux: Error: Temporal reference error when trying to close gop
demux: Failed to close gop - choose another frame for your cut

Unfortuanatly, I don't know how to translate the log info above with the locations on the .ty file. I have been eye-balling it based on where the .mpg ends.

Any help on how to interpret the log and/or how to cut commercials easier would be most appreciated.
B

captain_video
10-06-2003, 02:56 PM
The easiest thing would be to extract and cut with TyTool instead of TyStudio. I think I can pretty much guarantee you won't see the same errors with TyTool. The problems you're having with the GOP errors when cutting commercials is one of the main reasons I stopped using TyStudio. There's no way of knowing if TyStudio will choke on a cut point until after you've edited the entire program and started to process the cut list. Once it bombs out you have to reindex the entire show again and then try a different cut point. I don't believe it saves the cut list either but it's been quite a while since I used it.

One saving grace is that the log indicates where the error occurred (i.e. which cut point; in your case it was frame 2924) but you still don't know if the new cut point will fix the error until you process it all over again. Don't worry about the rest of the stuff in the log since it's just indicating what it did and where it did it. I've found that a rule of thumb to use is if the error occurs at the beginning of a cut segment, move the cut one segment towards the beginning of the clip. If it's at the end cut then move the cut one segment towards the end.

chrsturbo
10-06-2003, 11:45 PM
So I've got tyserver running on a series 2 but its failing on indexing. It is able to demux the S2 streams but for some reason in the create_index function it never seems to find a valid seq_preset_in_chunk (it segs with a null last_gop_index meaning that the whole stream it can't find a valid GOP).
Has anyone else gotten the tystudio stuff to index and edit a S2 ty?
I apologize in advance if I am being stupid:)
If I can fix this then I think we can save the client side mods and just have a new tyserver and tyindex for S2s and still use the existing tystudio clients.
-Chris

rc3105
10-07-2003, 12:17 AM
the reason TyEditor & TyIndex don't work with S2 files is that the ty structure is slightly different.

nobody coding in the project had a S2 == no S2 support

converting S2 files is at best hit or miss with TyEditor / typrocess. if you want to implement S2 support you'll need to update tyindex, tydemux & tyeditor

--
Riley

chrsturbo
10-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Actually I was able to demux a series 2 ty downloaded using tyserver. I just couldn't get it to index in tyindex OR tyeditor. Seems like some GOPs are totally null as far as tystudio is concearned. Need to read more about series 2 format.
Also tydemux HAS a series 2 switch so perhaps I can see what its doing and retrofit that to tyindex.
I have posted this to the tydemux dev group that just seems to be a "low" traffic board.
-Chris

chrsturbo
10-08-2003, 01:52 PM
It looks like the indexing is hitting a differance in the S2 chunk orginatzion it never sees the PES frame in the chunk. I suspect S2s use a differant ID or type to get this. Looks like I need to know more about the series 2 format.
-Chris

Hoodm3
10-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Can you give some instruction on how to remove TyStudio and install TyTool? I am not real proficient with linux, my son installed this for me and he now lives 3000 miles away. I am having the same exact problem that boboli is having.

Any help would be appreciated.
:)

jawn
10-10-2003, 01:33 AM
is tystudio a real time extraction?

rc3105
10-10-2003, 04:36 AM
extraction speed depends on your network connection, it can run much faster than realtime

does tystudio extract directly from the livetv buffer? no, none of the current utilities do

if you just want to watch the livetv buffer that can be done with mplayer

--
Riley

Hoodm3
10-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Is anyone still trying to put in fixes for TyStudio? I have seen a couple of messages having the same problem as myself "Failed to close GOP".

I really like this tool, if this problem could be fixed that would be awesome!

captain_video
10-12-2003, 04:43 PM
The only fix I'm aware of is to use a different cut point. It's one of the reasons I stopped using TyStudio and now use TyTool exclusively. Both programs have their pros and cons but TyTool doesn't have the same problems as TyStudio. I've never had a problem processing a ty file from beginning top end using TyTool. TyStudio is another matter altogether, as you have already learned. It is a nice program but it still has issues.

LanDsLiDe
10-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Would someone please refer me to a dvd authoring program that works with the files that TyStudio outputs? I have tried Ulead (takes forever), Sonic "My DVD" doesn't recognize some of the audio files. I have spent hours reading. If there is a step by step I haven't found, please point me in the right direction.

I am using an Intel Pentium 3 Dual proc 733 with 256 ram.
I have plenty of room on my HD.

Please recomend an Authoring program that has worked for you.

Thanks for reading a post from a frustrated, but determined Newbie/Lamer :-)

LanDsLiDe

LanDsLiDe
10-12-2003, 07:14 PM
I found TRILIGHT'S page on this subject. He recomends DVD LAB and/or DVD Maestro. The more I read, the more I see folks doing this with and or recomending TyTool over TyStudio. I will try both and see what works for me. Thanks to TRILIGHT :-)

LanDsLiDe

rc3105
10-12-2003, 08:59 PM
call me a luddite but I like spruceup. mfs_ftp -> typrocess -> spruce.

I put the vobs & the ty+ on the dvd which cuts recording time in half but is still generally 2+ hours per rw dvd

the disks play nicely in the pc, apex dvd player or xbox (dashboard + dvd remote or xbmp either) & the ty+ can go directly back into the tivo

--
Riley

kkmike
10-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by LanDsLiDe
Please recomend an Authoring program that has worked for you.

Although my favorite authoring software (that I use for my DV camera) is Ulead DVD Workshop, for the TiVo files I use TMPGEnc DVD Author http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_download.html because it doesn’t try to re-encode the ty processed audio/video files and only takes a few minutes to go from extracted file to DVD authored files. It will also burn the DVD. So far it’s been perfect every time. I burn stuff on DVD+RW’s too so I can share them on the TV upstairs that doesn’t have DirecTV, and then record over them again – I can truely scrap my VCR now.

To make a DVD using TyStudio - process the ty files to “elemental” streams, not the other mpeg choices. Then run the program DVDPatcher http://kickme.to/DVDPatcher - browse and choose the elemental .m2v file. Then select the “720” button under Horizontal Size and then select the "Patch first header only" button and click the patch now button. This makes the DVD authoring program think it’s a 720x720 DVD compliant file (it’s not because TiVo records 480x480) and will then let you import it, author it (cut out commercials, add menus etc) and burn it. You will get a GOP error message most of the time, but ignore it, it's not a problem.

I haven't found anything that works better for me, then again I've stopped looking since.

Mike

10-13-2003, 03:13 PM
I concur with TMGENC DVD Author.

Hoodm3
10-13-2003, 06:03 PM
I reccomend using DVD Lab, it is easy to use. I am not sure about TyTool, but using TyStudio all you have to do is pull the Ty file in, make your cuts and process using elemental and DVD AC3. Then open DVD Lab and select your files .MPV .AC3 and follow the help guide in the help menu. It's great!

:)

rung
10-13-2003, 08:15 PM
And here I thought I was the only person who was still using tystudio -> tmpgenc -> tmpgenc author.

For those that are doing this route, I use the attached Excel file to convert the saved cut points from tystudio to chapter points that you can paste into tmpgenc author. Also, if you want to use the frame accurate editing in tmpgenc, this macro will give you starting frame numbers to enter into the source range editor.

ty -> DVD
(the hard way)
1) Load ty into tystudio
2) Choose cut points and save cut file
3) Delete all cut points
4) Process to generic MPEG2
5) Open MPEG in tmpgenc
6) Go to source range editing
7) Open cut_to_chap.xls and import cut file
8) Start at the last frame number set and paste the start and end frames into tmpgenc. Adjust to desired exact frames as needed and then choose cut selected. Repeat for all cut segments.
9) After processing or reencoding, tmpgenc author chapter points can be pasted one at a time from the xls as well.

p.s. If re-encoding, consider changing the arrange method to center (custom size) and set it to 720x640. If you have a wide screen show, you can make a 16:9 DVD.

rung
10-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Forgot attachment

LanDsLiDe
10-14-2003, 03:57 AM
There never seems like there is enough time in a day. With 5 kids, and a one hour commute (each way), it is sometimes frustrating at best to actually enjoy a hobby. I'd like to thank kkmike, rung, Hoodm3, newbie & rc3105 for their straight forward & easy to understand methods they have posted. I am working a midshift tonight and the above posts give me something to look forward to try in the next few days. Hope this helps others that have been wondering what ways work well. I will post my results when I have succeeded.

LanDsLiDe

TRILIGHT
10-14-2003, 12:27 PM
I found TRILIGHT'S page on this subject. He recomends DVD LAB and/or DVD Maestro. The more I read, the more I see folks doing this with and or recomending TyTool over TyStudio. I will try both and see what works for me. Thanks to TRILIGHT :-)

LanDsLiDe

Thanks, LanDsLiDe! Some ways are more flexible than others. Some are more reliable than others. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what works best for you. Independent thought is never a bad thing. :) (um...unless maybe if you're a moron then it might be best to let someone else think for you. hehe ;) ) Good luck with your projects! Hope you find some spare time outside of work and the kiddos.

10-14-2003, 12:39 PM
I think you left out the DVD Patcher header patch.
I just let tystudio output elmentary streams and do my cutting with TMGENC DVD AUTHOR.

Originally posted by rung
And here I thought I was the only person who was still using tystudio -> tmpgenc -> tmpgenc author.

For those that are doing this route, I use the attached Excel file to convert the saved cut points from tystudio to chapter points that you can paste into tmpgenc author. Also, if you want to use the frame accurate editing in tmpgenc, this macro will give you starting frame numbers to enter into the source range editor.

ty -> DVD
(the hard way)
1) Load ty into tystudio
2) Choose cut points and save cut file
3) Delete all cut points
4) Process to generic MPEG2
5) Open MPEG in tmpgenc
6) Go to source range editing
7) Open cut_to_chap.xls and import cut file
8) Start at the last frame number set and paste the start and end frames into tmpgenc. Adjust to desired exact frames as needed and then choose cut selected. Repeat for all cut segments.
9) After processing or reencoding, tmpgenc author chapter points can be pasted one at a time from the xls as well.

p.s. If re-encoding, consider changing the arrange method to center (custom size) and set it to 720x640. If you have a wide screen show, you can make a 16:9 DVD.

comakid
10-17-2003, 07:12 PM
I reccently purchased a second tivo. Because I deliberatly bought
the same model (hughes 312 -30 stand alone series 1) I cloned my hard drives using the dd method. I had a problem with duplicate mac addresses (corrected today ) but now my Nowshowing list in tyserver has shows that were on the original hard drives but are not appearing in the tiov's nowshowing.

I found only one post with a similar problem but there was no followup in the thread.

Does anybody know what I need to do to correct the problem???

dodgie
10-18-2003, 04:51 AM
Hi,

I installed TyStudio's tyserver onto my Tivo ages ago when I was evaulating different extraction techniques, however I've been happy with TyTool for ages now and so want to remove TyStudio from my Tivo.

Can anyone tell me how I go about doing this? I've had a search on TyStudio's site, google and on here and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

captain_video
10-18-2003, 08:00 AM
There's no real need to uninstall the files if you don't have to as they shouldn't interfere with anything else running on the Tivo and won't interfere with TyTool. Chances are neither tyindex or tyserver are still running anyway as they have a habit of quitting on their own. You can, however, simply delete the files you transferred to the Tivo when you set up TyStudio. If the files aren't there when tyindex and tyserver are called to run the OS will just skip past them and continue booting.

LanDsLiDe
10-21-2003, 04:35 AM
I would like to thank TRILIGHT, kkmike and Hoodm3 for their help in this thread. I took all of their suggestions, and ended up with a method that worked for me using the software I wanted to use, making it a pretty straight-forward process.

First, I upgraded from the dual p111 733 to a dual 2.0 gHz xeon proc server machine, which made a huge difference on the speed. It has a hot swap 18 gig Barracuda scsi drive, and a Maxtor 120 gig ide drive.

1. I pulled the ty files from Dtivo with TyStudio. I selected elementary for the video and AC3/DVD for the audio. It saved the ty file as two files.

2. I have the most current version of DvdLab beta running. I used the help menu on DvdLab, it explains exactly how to get a newbie started authoring a dvd, step by step.

3. Following the dvdlab instructions I imported the audio and video stream to the dvdlab asset window. I didn't use the patch to change the size from 480x480, just left it like it was.

4. Then I just followed the rest of the steps in the Help guide.

5. Finally, after you select the compile function, THAT IS WHERE YOU SET THE MUX to the more flexible decode option, NOT DVD Compliant (fast).

I made 4 dvd-r's this way and all turned out nice. My rookie artwork with the menues is laughable, but I have succeeded in what I wanted to do...archived the TY files from Dtivo to DVD-R.

THANKS again to Hood3m, kkmike and TRILIGHT, and to the great minds (Olaf, and crew) at TyStudio that came up with an easy to use interface, and the folks at DvDLab for the easy to understand Help how to, to get a newbie started. Guess I have to get creative with menues now!! LOL! :D

Hoodm3
10-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Your quite welcome! This was my preferred method, it is simple and quick. The only problem I have with TyStudio is when doing a football game that won't fit on a DVD unless you cut out the commercials and or halftime, it kept failing. Thi sproblem still exists, however I may try the method rung suggested using MPEG2. We'll see what happens...... Never hurts to try and experiment.
:D

pcompact
10-27-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm trying out TyStudio .50 and it's nice.
So, two newbie questions:

1) Is there an option which allows one to trim
commercials from a .ty file ( I know how to do that part, but then save back to a .ty file format?

2) Is there a version of TyStudio that understands
.ty+ or .tmf files? I've found that mfs_ftp is faster
at retrieving files from my old tivo than TyStudio is.

Thanks, Clarence

rc3105
10-27-2003, 06:53 PM
there's currently no way to save an edited ty, just save the cutlist with the original. (it can be done manually or with batch scripts, but the edited file would confuse the stream repair routines if you tried to convert to mpg later)

ty & ty+ from mfs_ftp are internally identical. the ty+ suffix is just a convenience to differentiate mfs_ftp tyfiles from other sources like mfs_export, tivoweb mfsstream, tytool or tystudio which don't include the xml info. renaming ty+ to ty will allow TyEditor to open them from the selection dialog box. typrocess - the command line version of tydemux/mplex in TyEditor - doesn't care what the suffix is

IMHO TyStudio's killer feature is the ability to preview & convert selected segments without extracting the entire recording :)

pcompact
10-28-2003, 11:26 AM
I had tried renaming ty+ files to ty.
However, when I was converting to mpeg, I got an error that halted the conversion near the end of the file.

I wasn't certain that the converted file was correct at that point.

Thanks, pcompact

DealDataLOVER
11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been using tytool due to tystudio crashing while indexing every TY file I try put into it.

I have a kmem DSR7000 and I have extracted all my files through tytool in TY format. I have no idea why this program is crashing I have 700+mb ram, 2200 processor, 80gig hdd (60 open), windows xp pro.

Has anyone else had this problem?

TIA!

DDL

hdvr_too
11-03-2003, 10:28 PM
I also have this problem. I extract using tytool (becouse tystudio can't reach my tivo IP?) and I choose import local ty file in tystudio. It starts indexing, but crashes everytime.
I have an HDVR2 with kmem enabled. My PC has XP-Pro with P4 and 512 DDR RAM.
Would very much like to resolve this problem as tytool is not as good at muxing the streams to be GOP compliant.
Thanks

hdvr_too
11-03-2003, 10:46 PM
I stupidly thought that tese two apps (tytools&tystudio) ran off the same tserver. Duh they don't! Here is the install notes for the tystudio version of tyserver that goes on your tivo.

tivo-install (http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/tivo-install.txt)

DealDataLOVER
11-03-2003, 11:09 PM
I actually have the ty files extracted onto my comp hdd, could that be the problem?

rc3105
11-04-2003, 01:11 AM
tystudio doesn't work so great with S2 files. as far as I know there's not anybody developing it that has a S2 so don't hold your breath...

LanDsLiDe
11-04-2003, 05:55 AM
DealDataLOVER,
Ifyou have the ty files on your hard drive then the next step is to open TyStudio, there are two options to choose from; choose "open local ty file" (then browse to the dir the ty files are in, and select a ty file). Once you have a ty file loaded you can cut out comercials if need be, or whatever else you want out of the final product. Then depending on what dvd authoring sw (I recommend DVDLab), you select the output streams, then select "process". TyStudio will process the ty file into an audio file and a video file that is compatible with your dvd authoring sw. Enjoy!!

charliektm400
11-04-2003, 08:56 PM
I've just managed to get TyStudio installed and running, and I can download and edit TiVo streams without any problem.

However, my now showing hasn't updated since I first installed TyStudio and TyServer.

Has anybody got any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

Charlie

hdvr_too
11-05-2003, 08:57 PM
The tyserver for tystudio and the indexing deamon are for ppc or (series1) tivo's. I have HDVR2 with mips prom, so I guess it's not gonna work no matter what I do.
I try to load local files that I extracted using tytool and it still crashes while indexing. I wish someone with the development team would look into compiling tystudio to work with S2's and people using XP.
I guess I will have to work without it.

mwadlin
11-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Can I get some advise on debugging my installation of TyStudio? I seem to have the components in place, and I can ping the tivo, but I keep getting the message "Failed to obtain Now Showing list for TIVO" Any tests I can perform?

--Milo

charliektm400
11-09-2003, 03:45 AM
mwadlin

It might be that you haven't installed or started tyserver on the TiVo.

I got exactly the same as you to start with, and then this fixed it.

mwadlin
11-09-2003, 04:00 PM
That would be a bit obvious, but a possibility I am willing to allow for.

My unix is a distant memory. Wasn't there a command to list what processes are running? Maybe I could telnet in and see if it is actually running.

Thanks, anyway.

Will
11-13-2003, 06:58 AM
Has anyone successfully gotten tystudio to run on Panther? I was running fine under Jaguar. Supposedly dlcompat is not needed with Panther but tystudio seems to be looking for it. I've tried to install dlcompat over Panther, first a Panther-specific version (placeholder only?) and then the old Jaguar version, but just made a mess and it didn't help.

Would be interested to hear of any successes.

NutKase
11-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mwadlin
That would be a bit obvious, but a possibility I am willing to allow for.

My unix is a distant memory. Wasn't there a command to list what processes are running? Maybe I could telnet in and see if it is actually running.

Thanks, anyway.
The command

ps aux

gives running processes but you might have to install the binary ps.

NutKase

eobiont
11-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Will
Has anyone successfully gotten tystudio to run on Panther? I was running fine under Jaguar. Supposedly dlcompat is not needed with Panther but tystudio seems to be looking for it. I've tried to install dlcompat over Panther, first a Panther-specific version (placeholder only?) and then the old Jaguar version, but just made a mess and it didn't help.

Would be interested to hear of any successes.

Mine broke with the upgrade to 10.3 also. After I installed the updated X11 from Apple's site, it started working again.

DealDataLOVER
11-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Ok,

Now up to this point I have tried to figure out why this is occuring but haven't really gotten anywhere except I've limited it down to tystudio.

I have a dsr7000 using Tytool R7R10 and Tystudio 0.5.0 (I believe)

I am finding small glitches sporadically through out my mpeg files (small pixel glitches that last anywhere from 1 - 3 seconds). I have tracked it all the way back to my ty file being processed through Tystudio. If I mux the file through tytool, I do not get these glitches.

I extract my .TY with tytool (settings TY file to my hdd and run this command through TYstudio

"typrocess -i INPUTFILENAME.ty -o OUTPUTFILENAME.mpg -mplex { -f 8 } -demux "

I receive a great mpeg but find the glitces in the video. I have no idea why this is occuring but obviously can't be fixed at a later point.

Has anyone else gotten this problem and any suggestions?
So far these glitches have appeared in all my mpegs processed through tystudio. I have been told it's far superior to tytool and had better ty decoding.

TIA,

DDL

mwadlin
11-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks, nutkase. That helped. I found the ps command, but didn't know about aux. Got it working now.

Thanks again.:)

TheWickedPriest
11-14-2003, 03:20 PM
"aux" is actually:

a -- All process, including those belonging to other users

u -- User-oriented display format

x -- include processes with no controlling tty (i.e., background processes)

Personally I favor "fax" rather than "aux". The 'f' makes it print in a tree format. But that's not available on all implementations of ps (it's probably only in GNU ps; I dunno).

NutKase
11-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by TheWickedPriest
Personally I favor "fax" rather than "aux". The 'f' makes it print in a tree format. But that's not available on all implementations of ps (it's probably only in GNU ps; I dunno).

'ps fax' works fine in whatever mips version I have.

NutKase

Poohbear
11-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by eobiont
Mine broke with the upgrade to 10.3 also. After I installed the updated X11 from Apple's site, it started working again.

When I did my 10.3 upgrade, I chose 'custom' (or options?) and selected 'upgrade X11'. Didn't need to download anything from the Apple site. It was part of my 10.3 upgrade installation. I did a regular Upgrade rather than Archive & Install or a Clean Install.

X11 and TyStudio worked fine. In fact, after upgrading to X11 1.0, TyStudio is much faster on my G3.

Mbarr
11-17-2003, 05:10 AM
As an aside-

ps fax

will not work on the standard ps shipped by Apple...

On either 10.2.8 or 10.3

BTW- anyone ever get tystudio to build natively? or maybe the full, non beta version on X11?

/mbarr

LanDsLiDe
11-17-2003, 06:07 AM
I cannot figure this out. If I try and remove parts of ANY ty file with ty studio using the cut method, then process...then author with dvd lab, no audio...if I try and process without cutting anything, no problem. If I try and wait to trim the end of the movie in dvd lab, same thing....anyone have a solution or know why this happens?

Thanks for all the previous help, I have been successfully burning dvd's, but would like to edit out the commercials and junk that preceeds or follows shows that I have recorded.

LanDsLiDe

palindrome
11-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Am running the final release of TyStudio .5 under Win XP. Have installed tyserver and tyindex on the T60 and started them manually to insure they're running.

Can acquire the list of recordings. But attempting to transfer one results in the CPU pegging at 99%, no network activity, and an infinite wait at 0% completion.

Any suggestions?

stever
11-17-2003, 08:02 PM
I keep getting the following error when trying to extract a stream to my pc (tyedit v.5 beta 2)

demux: Error getting okay message - 400 Probe of requested stream faild

tyeditor: Failed to do remote probe on fsid 919732

Any ideas on what's going on?

jeffhancock
11-18-2003, 12:53 AM
I'm curious to find out if _anyone_ is able to successfully use tystudio (0.5 beta 2) with Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) as a GOP editor without dropping audio sync.

FYI: I have a SA TiVo with Software_System:
3.0-01-1-000
Kernel Version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5
accessed via tystudio 0.5 beta 2 on a Mac G4 running 10.3.1 and was previously able to successfully cut commercials, trailing frames etc. with fairly consistent success. (like others I used to have to use the trick of moving the cut points around to get the sync to work out)

Recently however I loose sync after a few cuts, and most disturbingly ALWAYS loose the last minutes from the audio track. The audio stream is simply truncated several minutes shy of the video track.

What a cruel world...

At any rate if anyone has had success I'd be happy to have you share with us the secrets of your success.

Also - is anyone working on the project anymore? If I can lend a hand I'd be happy to...

rc3105
11-18-2003, 01:54 AM
I built static mac/pc/tivo versions of typrocess ages ago to do ty->mpg & they work great :D (no s2, so s2 streams aren't an issue here)

I use other utils for mpg -> dv, then dv editors for commercial removal & dvd authoring...

the source is avail in cvs if you feel like optomizing or adding features :)

Mbarr
11-18-2003, 03:06 AM
Isn't there a nasty penalty timewise and space wise w/ DV then to authoring? You have to go ty->mpg. mpg->dv. edit. dv->mpg. author. burn.

I currently do:

ty-> mpg. author. burn.

Of course, right now, i'm not bothering editing. I'm trying to get a whole show on DVD for a friend, and i'm not editing 100 shows, just so she can watch. I can fit what looks like 6 hrs of tivo shows on the dvd, so editing isn't a priority.

The cuts are too likely to break the decoding, and I didn't bother.

On the other hand, I should find the docs on how to do a conversion by hand.. instead of the gui. I could script that, and let it run overnight. The batch process option didn't work so great for me.

(I have an old ?!? G4/400. If I keep doing this.. I'll need to buy a nice shiny g5. And a good source of DVD blanks...)

LanDsLiDe
11-18-2003, 04:27 AM
I cannot figure this out. If I try and remove parts of ANY ty file with ty studio using the cut method, then process...then author with dvd lab, no audio...if I try and process without cutting anything, no problem. If I try and wait to trim the end of the movie in dvd lab, same thing....anyone have a solution or know why this happens?

Thanks for all the previous help, I have been successfully burning dvd's, but would like to edit out the commercials and junk that preceeds or follows shows that I have recorded.

LanDsLiDe

ANY Help with this....PLease...:-)

rc3105
11-18-2003, 05:08 AM
Mbarr

yep, and there's a transcoding penalty from mpg to dv. dv is huge because every frame is a keyframe, however, that allows for total flexibility in editing. loading tivo recs into the camcorder as a video walkman is kinda groovy though :p

for quick 'n dirty dvd I use spruce, tmpgenc or whatever's handy (really don't burn many mpg dvd's since everything plays ty+ now)

LanDsLiDe: sorry, don't use dvdlab :(

Mbarr
11-18-2003, 06:27 AM
I am using the ty+'s for my brother, but I'm making the effort to create the standard DVD's for a few friends that don't have new enough machines for mplayer to work well..

(it is painful on my laptop- I have to quit all programs, and that's one year old... maybe it's just mplayer though)

Interesting idea, though... hmmm...

wipeout667
11-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Hey Folks, thought I might ask the experts. I can't seem to find the answer after extensive searching.

PROBLEM: When I run TyStudio Editor and load from now showing nothing is indexed. Trying to copy to PC doesn't work (freezes at 0%).

Hughes DTivo 1 3.1.0b

I had previously installed TyStudio & such and had to redo it after the 3.1.0b upgrade.

Installed NIC, installed TyServer/TyIndex. Both are running. Ran dd kernel hack to disable scrambling.

Any ideas?

LanDsLiDe
11-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by rc3105
Mbarr

for quick 'n dirty dvd I use spruce, tmpgenc or whatever's handy (really don't burn many mpg dvd's since everything plays ty+ now)

LanDsLiDe: sorry, don't use dvdlab :(

Guess I'll try TMPGEnc DVD Author and see if it helps...;-)

NoCalME
11-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Hardware:
DirecTiVo Series I
iMac

Software:
TyStudio Beta 2
OS 10.3.1
QuickTime 6.4 Pro
Final Cut Express
iTunes

My process:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Extract as DVD (Video) and 48k (DVD) Audio, which creates a .mpg file. Extract again as Elemental Stream which creates .m2v and .m2a files.

2. Import the .mpg file into QuickTime Pro and export as a .dv file.

3. Change .m2a extension to .mp2 so iTunes recognizes the file. Import and export as a .aiff file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

After all the conversions, it's here where I notice that the audio file is now shorter than the video. With a test 7 min. program, the audio is only 5:17 long.

I can import the two files into FCE no problem with the video and audio in sync, but the audio is roughly 2 min. shorter than the video??? I've tried various extracted programs and they all seem to extract with a file length difference.

Anyone else run into this problem or have a suggestion(s) on how to remedy?

BBQ-AllStar
11-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Well...

I installed tystudio (Mac version) last week and everything seemed to work fine until my TiVo (DSR 6000) reset. Now I have no bash and cannot telenet into my tivo. I'm thinking that the "reconfiguring" of my rc.sysinit by the tystudio installation process screwed up something else on my tivo.

I am running Xtreme with 2.52 upgrade and xPlusz...

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a feeling I am going to have to take the drive out of my tivo, hook it up to my PC, and manually remove the "Updated" rc.sysinit...along with the tystudio files (tyserver and tyindex).

Is anyone else using this successfully with a Mac?

TIA,

BBQ

TRILIGHT
11-30-2003, 07:59 PM
I don't use a Mac so I'm not going to try to offer advice on your conversions but I can tell you from what I know of DVD authoring that you're going about it the wrong way. From what I see, you appear to be doing two different types of extractions and then working with assets from each for your final compilation. While you would assume that things would not be different between two types of selections for extraction , I would definitely NOT bet on it!

DVD's are compiled using audio and video assets. It seems that you are going to too much trouble. You already have your audio and video assets when you do the elemental extraction. Again, I'm do not know how the Mac works with different files or why you do what you do, but it would seem to me that your QT software is expecting an MPG file so you feel like you have to extract an additional time as MPG. This is not the case if you are simply trying to convert your video. Simply take the .m2v file you get on the elemental extraction and rename it .mpg. It is just another name for an MPEG file. Sometimes, you will also see MPEG video labeled as .mpv.

LMAO!! I just looked back after all this and realize you didn't even mention making a DVD. hehehe :D Nevermind. What the hell are you attempting to do anyway? :) I stand by my previous statement of the fact that you shouldn't necessarily expect one type of extraction to be exactly the same as another.

rung
11-30-2003, 09:29 PM
You could try looking at the logs (C-E-C Thumbs-Up) to see if you could figure out what happened.

rc3105
11-30-2003, 11:57 PM
you'll probably need to pull the drive & restore the rc.sysinit that the installer backed up. then just add tyserver & tyindex manually (joe, vi, whichever)

BBQ-AllStar
12-01-2003, 12:04 AM
you'll probably need to pull the drive & restore the rc.sysinit that the installer backed up. then just add tyserver & tyindex manually (joe, vi, whichever)

Thanks Riley....that's what I figured...

AVD
12-01-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Mbarr

(it is painful on my laptop- I have to quit all programs, and that's one year old... maybe it's just mplayer though)

Interesting idea, though... hmmm...

i can play ty with mplayer and wmp on a pII 400mhz machine.

It drops a few frames, but it is definately watchable, I have the memory maxed out, everything else is standard.

NoCalME
12-01-2003, 04:22 PM
You were right the first time, I am trying to author DVDs from the extracted tystreams. As long as you got a good laugh out of it, it's all good:). I should have been more specific regarding my ultimate goal in extracting the streams.

Anyway, the extraction and conversion process I outlined was taken from another thread in this forum. The process seemed redundant to me as well, but the thread owner claimed QuickTime handled a .mpg file better than the .mv2 file. So being the newbie I am, I followed his instructions. I did take your advice and renamed the .mv2 file to .mpg and that worked okay, so that saves me one step.

Final Cut Express is an editing software I'm using made by Apple that requires the video to be in .dv format(converted with QuickTime Pro) and the audio in .aiff format(converted with iTunes). When I import the audio and video into FCE, that's when I notice the running times of the two files are different.

So it seems maybe iTunes is doing something strange when I convert from the .m2a to a .aiff file. There are some other audio conversion utilities out there for Mac that I'm going to try.

TRILIGHT
12-02-2003, 12:36 AM
Your problem may lie in the sampling frequency of your AIFF file. Most audio software defaults to a 44.1kHz frequency but that is only valid for CD audio. DVD expects 48kHz for the audio. No guarantees but it's about all I can think of that would be throwing your time off like this.

You might also want to look into using "DVD Studio" for your work too. It was originally "DVD Maestro" by Spruce before Apple bought it. I've done a lot of work with DVD Maestro and it is a GREAT piece of software! I'm sure they've made improvements to it. Just something to consider.

PS... Also, check whether your FCE does any sort of "drop frame" work. If so, you may have your "drop frame" flag set incorrectly and that could be altering the times you see displayed. Just some ideas. Bear in mind, I don't have a Mac. Let me know how you make out!

charliektm400
12-02-2003, 04:03 AM
I'm using TyStudio fine on a Mac, although I haven't run it since Panther.

Charlie

TiVo_CRAZEE
12-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Is there any way to use TyStudio to edit the native Ty file, remove the commercials and leave the resulting file in Ty format? This would enable re-insertion of the Ty file onto the TiVo for commercial free viewing.

rc3105
12-02-2003, 03:19 PM
it would be easy enough to add (the source is in cvs)

Editing Recordings Natively: (for tivo playback - not conversion to mpg) (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30007&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

has the basic info needed to get started

BBQ-AllStar
12-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TiVo_CRAZEE
Is there any way to use TyStudio to edit the native Ty file, remove the commercials and leave the resulting file in Ty format? This would enable re-insertion of the Ty file onto the TiVo for commercial free viewing.

Seems to me it'd be easier to just skip commercials...by the time you transfer the file, edit it and transfer it back...your talking hours...when you could just skip 'em.

Also, I removed the last 2 lines of my rc.sysinit that called tyserver and tyindex. I just manually run the files via telnet...everything is working fine now.

Does anybody know how to check the transfer speed on a Mac? I'd like to know how fast my ty streams are being transfered...I have a Netgear Switch that didn't come with any software or anything...is there something out there that I can download that will monitor my connection speeds?

BBQ

rc3105
12-02-2003, 04:57 PM
BBQ:

I use a patch for mfs_ftp that feeds TyEdit cut files (when uploaded via ftp client) to an external script that creates a duplicate recording complete with edits. the video never leaves the tivo :D

TiVo_CRAZEE
12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
BBQ:

I use a patch for mfs_ftp that feeds TyEdit cut files (when uploaded via ftp client) to an external script that creates a duplicate recording complete with edits. the video never leaves the tivo :D

This sound perfect, how can I get the patch and script!

TiVo_CRAZEE
12-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by BBQ-AllStar
Seems to me it'd be easier to just skip commercials...by the time you transfer the file, edit it and transfer it back...your talking hours...when you could just skip 'em.

Also, I removed the last 2 lines of my rc.sysinit that called tyserver and tyindex. I just manually run the files via telnet...everything is working fine now.

Does anybody know how to check the transfer speed on a Mac? I'd like to know how fast my ty streams are being transfered...I have a Netgear Switch that didn't come with any software or anything...is there something out there that I can download that will monitor my connection speeds?

BBQ

It wouldn't be for every recording just for those you want to archive for later viewing. That way when you send them back to the TiVo they are commercial free!

Mbarr
12-02-2003, 06:14 PM
BBQ:

Where does he get such wonderful toys ?

I think I now know way too much about FSID's, MFS, and such.. I'm sure i could probably come up w/ a way, eventually, to do the edits on the desktop. (after looking at the Native Editing thread)

Having said that.. My way vs your way is like looking at a 8086 and comparing it to a G5... Or a PS/2 to an iMac. One will be a horrible kludge... and the other will be far more elegant, and useful.

I'm happy to play with betas, and unix.. I could actually understand that thread on FSIDs... (which is worrisome) but would love to see how you do it...

You do realize that you make cool toys, right?

/mhb

rc3105
12-02-2003, 06:42 PM
heh, if I worked for a toy company I'd be all set.

*wonder if tivo's hiring.... ;)

throw someting together & post it to the native editing thread - it's really not as hard as you might think

rung
12-02-2003, 09:41 PM
BBQ:

To do this, wouldn't you have to have a dedicated partition big enough to hold the temporary files? Or is there a way to operate on the video partiions directly.

rc3105
12-03-2003, 02:37 AM
mfs_ftp allready...

1) gathers pieces of a recording & streams them as tmf or ty+

2) parses incoming streams & stores the segments whereever they need to go

assembling/streaming a recording based on a cutlist is only slightly more complex than on original layout. loop the stream back & delete the original once the process is complete, no intermediate files required

yage
12-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I have installed the tyindex and tyserver on my huges directv box. however when I use the doze client to view the 'now showing' files, they all show not -indexed.

I have about 20 files in the /var/index/index directory showing 0 size with xxx-no names.

looking at ps -aux shows that index has only run for about 2 minutes in the last 3 hours or so,

my question is: why aren't my shows indexing??

If I try to copy them onto my PC, the progress remains at 0%.

any help appricated!

rung
12-03-2003, 09:52 PM
mfs_ftp allready...

1) gathers pieces of a recording & streams them as tmf or ty+

2) parses incoming streams & stores the segments whereever they need to go

assembling/streaming a recording based on a cutlist is only slightly more complex than on original layout. loop the stream back & delete the original once the process is complete, no intermediate files required
Oh, I get it. Yeah, that is cool - two instances of mfs - one streaming to another - no network involved.

This reminds me of an old wishlist for Tivo - cuting and joining. You would use the Tivo remote to mark where you wanted a cut and voila you get two recordings. Not sure how joining would work with the remote. But to cut a commercial you cut twice and join once. (easier than using Tystudio's editor :eek: )

rc3105
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
lets focus this in the editing thread

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=30007

eastwind
12-04-2003, 07:42 AM
As I recall tyindex has a tendency to stop running from time to time. Try killing it and restarting it or rebooting TiVo.

ew

Griff1324
12-05-2003, 03:11 AM
I have searched and searched for an answer to my problem with no luck. I have an HDVR2 that I had hacked and everything was working great. Well, one evening after a power outage, the thing refused to boot all the way up. So, I pulled out the drive and installed my backup. However, not all my hacks had been backed up.

I am now trying to get video extraction to work on this DTivo. I have installed mfs_ftp that has been posted in the stickies. I also installed a set of S2 binaries that I found in another thread. I am able to ftp into the tivo and extract the .tmf file. I then extract the TY and convert it to an Mpeg via TYStudio on my PC. When I attempt to play the video via Windows Media Player or any other player the video freezes. I get the audio but the video doesn't play as it should. If I "fast forward", the video will catch up, play normal for a few seconds and then freeze again.

I am stumped!!! Any suggestions to what the problem may be.

BTW, I am using software version 3.1.0-01-2-151.

thanks,

Chris
www.stangit.com

charliektm400
12-05-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by eastwind
As I recall tyindex has a tendency to stop running from time to time. Try killing it and restarting it or rebooting TiVo.

ew

That's what I found, but I don't know the commands to get it running again, and rebooting isn't always an option.

Can you post the command to restart tyindex.

Thanks

Charlie

rung
12-05-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by charliektm400
That's what I found, but I don't know the commands to get it running again, and rebooting isn't always an option.

Can you post the command to restart tyindex.

Thanks

Charlie

/var/index/tyindex > /dev/null 2>&1 &
/var/index/tyserver > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Be sure to run a "ps fax" before to insure that the servers are down. You can use the kill command if not.

charliektm400
12-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by rung

Be sure to run a "ps fax" before to insure that the servers are down. You can use the kill command if not.

There you go again, assuming I know what your talking about.;)

What's a ps fax and how do you run it.

What and how do you use a kill command?

Sorry to ask the questions, but it's all greek to me.

Charlie

emyrold
12-06-2003, 04:37 AM
hello, I have pulled four 30 min Cirque du Soleil shows off of my Sat T-60 using TivoWeb with the MfsStream module. The files are on my local hard drive and named: Circfire01.ty (766MB), Cirque du Soleil_ Fire Within-02.ty (957MB), Cirque du Soleil_ Fire Within-03.ty (874MB), and Circfire04.ty (828MB).

When I try to open these with tyStudio Editor I receive the following error: “Failed to load the selected TY file.”

I renamed number 01 and 04 to remove spaces, but still receive the error.

It does not seem like these files are too big because they are only 30 minute clips.

Help.....!!!!

Thanks,

-Erik

sstrell
12-11-2003, 02:33 PM
I've tried running Tystudio with Mac OS 10.2, 10.3.1, as well as in Virtual PC. In all cases, I can't even extract anything. I can see the list of my recordings fine once tyserver is running, but all attempts to pull a recording fail. I get the little progress window to come up, but it stays stuck at 0% and no file gets created. It's really frustrating. What am I doing wrong? I have no firewall setup. I thought that tyhttpd might be interfering, but I still have the same problem when it's turned off. Speaking of which, I can successfully pull files through Tivoweb, but they will not play in Tyeditor! Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Steve

stealthdave
12-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by sstrell
I've tried running Tystudio with Mac OS 10.2, 10.3.1, as well as in Virtual PC. In all cases, I can't even extract anything. I can see the list of my recordings fine once tyserver is running, but all attempts to pull a recording fail. I get the little progress window to come up, but it stays stuck at 0% and no file gets created. It's really frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried pulling programs using the command-line tools (tyget)? Give that a shot. If nothing else, you might get more descriptive error messages.

- Stealth Dave

sstrell
12-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Yes, I tried tyget. I forget the error message I got. I'll try again tonight and post it.

Steve

evil0ne
12-12-2003, 01:28 AM
I just downloaded two shows from my HDVR2 and when I try opening them in tystudio it crashes at 49% each time. I have an XP computer and X.3 if anyone has any recommendations to use a different program I do have options. Thanks in advance.

yage
12-12-2003, 12:23 PM
For any of you getting this problem where you never get indexed files, and you can't even copy the file - turn of the scrambling.

search for unscramble

jerrya
12-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by yage
For any of you getting this problem where you never get indexed files, and you can't even copy the file - turn of the scrambling.

search for unscramble

I have autoscramble installed and working on my gxcebot, but I never get any indexes. Is it failing on my scrambled shows? If so, how do I get it to ignore them?

General_Disarry
12-23-2003, 05:48 PM
I have a show that for the life of mee I cannot transfer with TYStudio. Lately, it seems that the names of the files are not like and won't transfer unless I rename it to something more conventional. (ie. without different characters or dashes) But I can't get this one to transfer at all. I can watch it on the Tivo fine. I also tried turning off noscramble as suggested above. Still no-go.

Any suggestions?

General_Disarry
12-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Nevermind, I guess the file was corrupt and it disappeared. :mad: I had done a reboot right before it was recorded and I guess something was fubar with the recording.

Nothing to do with TYStudio. I love this little proggy!:D

dlbowm
01-06-2004, 04:01 AM
hello, I have pulled four 30 min Cirque du Soleil shows off of my Sat T-60 using TivoWeb with the MfsStream module. The files are on my local hard drive and named: Circfire01.ty (766MB), Cirque du Soleil_ Fire Within-02.ty (957MB), Cirque du Soleil_ Fire Within-03.ty (874MB), and Circfire04.ty (828MB).

When I try to open these with tyStudio Editor I receive the following error: “Failed to load the selected TY file.”

I renamed number 01 and 04 to remove spaces, but still receive the error.

It does not seem like these files are too big because they are only 30 minute clips.

Help.....!!!!

Thanks,

-Erik

i had this problem too last week with a few old recordings on my tivo. turns out that i had recorded these with version 1.3 of the tivo software. current ty extraction tools only work with tystreams from version 2.0 and above. i found an old version of tydemux(.31 i think) to split the files, then used the latest tytranscode and tymplex to build my mpegs. worked great. this may be your problem too if these are old recordings.

Droidyman
01-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi Everyone, I hope someone can answer this - or if someone else has this problem, I won't feel half as bad.
I'm using Tystudio under X11 on my OSX Mac. When processing the progress bar sometimes comes up, sometimes it doesn't. when it doesn't it completely locks me out of X11. And when it does appear, it halts at 100% and crashes. frequently leaving me with an unfinished set of streams.

ta.

SAT-T60
01-09-2004, 01:05 AM
I have a tyserver 0.5.0 on my DirecTivo running 3.1.x. I have a few questions:

Is 0.5.0 the version I should be using?

How can I tell if tyindex is working? None of shows seem to be indexed in the when I view the now showing list in tyeditor.

I troed the copy to pc option but the file never copies down to my pc. The tyeditor log says:

tyeditor: Failed to do remote probe on fsid 1418785

Thanks for your help,

SAT-T60

SAT-T60
01-09-2004, 01:06 AM
I missed the first part of the error log. Here is the entire log:

emux: Error getting okay message - 400 Probe of requested stream faild

Thanks

SAT-T60
01-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Tivo has been running all night with index and server. However, no recordings were indexed. What's the best way to check on the status of these processes?

Thanks,
SAT-T60

TomP
01-14-2004, 12:34 PM
I have extracted a "TY" file and now I'm tring to start using Ty Studio Editor but every time I try to open a file, Ty Studio gives me and error message stating the following:
"Failed To Load The Selected File".
How can I correct this or what am I doing wrong. I'm using Ty Studio Ver: 0.5.0 Beta 2.
Also are there any other programs I can use to get my files on DVD?
TomP :confused:

TomP
01-14-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm tring to install Tyserver but I keep getting the following errors:

bash-2.02# bash /var/tyserver.ppc.sh
: command not foundh:
: command not foundh:

: command not foundh: ll or upgrade TyServer to /var/index, proceed? [yes]:
'var/tyserver.ppc.sh: line 61: syntax error near unexpected token `
'var/tyserver.ppc.sh: line 61: ` fi

This is what the information looks like in Tyserver.ppc.sh line 61. I copied from line to 51 for you:

echo "Error during decompression. Did you transfer this file in binary
echo ""M
echo "Aborting."M
echo ""M
# Lets put the root partition back to how we found it.M
if [ $READONLY == 1 ]; then mount -o remount,ro /; fiM
rm /mounttest > /dev/null 2>&1M
exitM
M
fi M (This Is Line 61)
M

Can someone please advise me as I'm no programmer.
TomP

TomP
01-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Come on guys. I really am in need of some help on this.
Thanks!!
TomP

eastwind
01-15-2004, 12:17 AM
echo "Error during decompression. Did you transfer this file in binary
echo ""M
echo "Aborting."M
echo ""M
# Lets put the root partition back to how we found it.M
if [ $READONLY == 1 ]; then mount -o remount,ro /; fiM
rm /mounttest > /dev/null 2>&1M
exitM
M
fi M (This Is Line 61)
M

the answer appears to be in the question. did you transfer this file in binary?
It looks like (from all those M's at the end of the line) that the file was at some point opened in Notepad or Edit or something similar that changed all the *NIX end of line characters to DOS/Windows end of line characters.

ew

TomP
01-15-2004, 01:16 AM
the answer appears to be in the question. did you transfer this file in binary?
It looks like (from all those M's at the end of the line) that the file was at some point opened in Notepad or Edit or something similar that changed all the *NIX end of line characters to DOS/Windows end of line characters.

ew

Thanks EastWind for the reply.
I'm not sure if it was in a binary mode or not as I konw very litty about Linux. How could I tell? I transfered it as it was when I downloaded it.
It said the error was on line 61 and as for as the M's, I don't know. I know the file was not opened at all by me. I would just like some help learning this stuff. I have read until I'm blue in the face.
TomP

Thrall
01-15-2004, 03:52 AM
I would just use a windows command line
with something like
ftp> 192.168.0.xxx(whatever your tivos ip is)
ftp> binary
ftp> put c:\tyserver.ppc.sc /var/tyserver.ppc.sh
BTW tytools works much better for me than tystudio did

TomP
01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Thrall:
Thanks for the information. My PC has been giving me fits also.
I'll try the TYtools if you say it's better than TyStudio.
I'm totally new to this ans any help is greatly appreciated and taken.
Thanks Again:
TomP :cool:

palindrome
01-17-2004, 11:26 AM
I missed the first part of the error log. Here is the entire log:

emux: Error getting okay message - 400 Probe of requested stream faild

Thanks

Am having this problem and many others using the June 03 Tystudio beta. One program always generates an mpg file that's unplayable. Another always hangs Tystudio during file transfer (it's not encrypted). Several others will transfer but generate errors during mpg generation if I make cuts.

At least under Win XP, this beta seems very rough indeed. I can't claim a single successful end-to-end transfer-edit-generate.

ChopperDork
01-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Dissapointed to see no responses here. I'm having the same problem:

I can get the Now Showing list in TyEditor, but none of the recordings are indexed and when I try to load them direct from the now showing list, I get a progress bar stuck at 0%. The cancel button works and the TyEditor continues to run fine after cancelling. I am successfully extracting video with mfs-ftp and loading into TyEditor and editing with no problem.

On the TiVo side, tyserver and tyindex load successfully on restart. They show as running when I do a 'ps -fax', but after some time passes (a few hours to a day) tyindex disappears from the process list completely. Tyserver continues to run however.

Any ideas anyone?

Jim
--
SAT-T60
3.1.0b
120GB
Cachecard

chino
01-29-2004, 09:45 PM
I've looked all over this forum and keep getting different answers. I get:

1. TyStudio authors don't have an S2.

2. Your stream is scrambled

Well, does it work with S2? And if so and I'm scrambled, what do I do?

I used Sleeper's iso and thought it installed kmem. Is kmem a constantly running job or something that runs at bootup?

I've seen where there are some new tivoapp edits that might work for de-scrambling. If I have kmem, how do I stop it?

I have a DSR 704 with a 120GB HD running 3.1.1, monte'd using Sleeper's iso 1.01

rc3105
01-30-2004, 04:49 AM
1) wouldn't make it past 1% if the stream was scrambled

2) hanging at 49% is a common problem trying to process s2 files (sorry, don't know anybody interested in chasing down the remaining s2 compatability issues)

3) please post tystudio questions in the tystudio thread (where this will be merged into shortly)

chino
01-30-2004, 01:11 PM
1) wouldn't make it past 1% if the stream was scrambled

2) hanging at 49% is a common problem trying to process s2 files (sorry, don't know anybody interested in chasing down the remaining s2 compatability issues)

3) please post tystudio questions in the tystudio thread (where this will be merged into shortly)

thanks, that answers a lot.

pdog
02-04-2004, 02:26 PM
So should anyone with a Series 2 just not bother using TyStudio? I'm a willing guinea pig but I'll stick with TyTools if the author is unwilling to invest the time.

sljonson
02-19-2004, 02:45 AM
I've been playing with various builds of TyStudios 0.5.0. All of the tools seem to segment fault when I try to work with any .ty file. The best results I have been binaries build from the latest CVS version as of (02/17/2004).

The .ty file I've been trying to use is from SA 2 software version 4.0.1b. The .ty files is a 1/2 hour program around 1.3 GB in size.

The most consistant seg fault has been with tyeditor. tyeditor seg faults while indexing the .ty file. It fails at the 50% mark always.

I've tried straces and look at the code, but I can't see where the problem lies. Any pointers, hints, would be appreciated.

Editor log file follows:

demux:probe.c:94: Probing TyStream .....
demux:misc.c:152:
demux:misc.c:153: Tystream recorded on:
demux:misc.c:156: SA Tivo Series 2
demux:misc.c:171: Software rev 3.0 or higher
demux:misc.c:176:
demux:misc.c:177: Tystream recoding audio stats:
demux:misc.c:179: MPEG Layer II audio
demux:misc.c:183: Average tyrecord (audio) size: 588
demux:misc.c:184: Audio frame size: 576
demux:misc.c:185: Audio frame time: 2160 (ticks)
demux:misc.c:186:
demux:misc.c:187: Tystream recoding video stats:
demux:misc.c:200: Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec
demux:misc.c:220:
demux:probe.c:178: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:chunk_read.c:339: Read Chunk: chunk 0 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:probe.c:253: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:probe.c:257: Skipping to chunk 1 - reseting chunk numbering

demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4094 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4095 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 8191 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:index_edit.c:264: seq_present_in_chunk: chunk 10431 - chunk is to small -
skipping

------end of strace output ----------

ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944394}, NULL) = 0
select(6, [3 4 5], [], [], {0, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944626}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944673}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944770}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 945003}, NULL) = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

bugsfix
02-19-2004, 07:10 AM
The most consistant seg fault has been with tyeditor. tyeditor seg faults while indexing the .ty file. It fails at the 50% mark always.

I have the same problem

malfunct
02-19-2004, 01:04 PM
I have the same problem

Tystudio is unable to process series 2 video.

chrsturbo
02-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Yea its a problem with a change in the headers of the video. I have tinkered with it but can seem to generate any interest. Seems like all dev on tystudio has stopped. Sad though as tytool is much more limited in a lot of ways.

TexARC
02-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Total Noobie - Ive been hacking on my trusty old SA TiVo for several days - upgraded the size of my A drive, resulting in two 80 gig drives' worth of capacity while retaining all the shows I have recorded. Got the TiVo connected through a NIC to my home network. I've gotten through all of the steps in preparing my Phillips HDR31203 StandAlone Series 1 TiVo, running ver 3 , to let me ftp in and run TiVoWeb as well.
But I need some hep on the following, if anyone can jump in with words a noob can understand I would be very grateful ?

1. I can't figure out where TiVo stores the actual .TY files - is it possible to ftp them off using WsFTP Pro (which sees the TiVo files/subdirs just fine)
OR, do I have to only use TyTools or TyStudio to access them? Where are the .ty files stored?

2. Using TyStudio works pretty well, though there are a few old shows on TiVo, from 1999, that it will not transfer for some reason. Perhaps recordings made before version 3 of the TiVo OS came out are not compatible? When I try to transfer them using TyStudio, the transfer progress dialog never changes from 0%. ??

3. I've been able to make mpg files of shows by setting TyStudio to "DVD" and audio of 4800, that play back on my laptop just fine - they do seem slightly less resolution, but not bad. Is that because the original recording was on medium quality instead of high quality in TiVo?

4. In reading the threads up here, including the 500+post sticky thread (good grief :) ) and in searching for a FAQ that deals with it (cannot find one), I can't figure out how to proceed with my .ty files in the BEST way to create a DVD disk that will play in a commercial DVD player for my TV, that gives me the ORIGINAL RESOLUTION OF THE TiVo recording? Is this possible, and how (in noobie plain english, please)?

Thanks
TexARC

sanderton
02-22-2004, 11:22 AM
1. If you want to FTP tys off the Tivo, use mfs_ftp, see above.
2. You'd need to read through the threads, but I'm pretty sure very old tys won't convert.
3. None of the utils changes the resolution in any way.
4. TyTool can take you right through to DVD in one app.

PortlandPaw
02-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey, Tex, I'm about two steps ahead of you in experience! Had my TiVo for four years and after an initial capacity expansion, I hadn't touched it until last month. Now it's up to 306 hours with every hack imaginable.

I went through the same process trying to convert my old VHS home videos to DVD. Take a look at my post today, http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32471, and at the post referenced there.

The only topic not discussed in those threads is how to set up the TiVo to generate more DVD-compliant video. I've been having success with resolution set to 1 (740x480) at 5250 kbits. See the discussions on Resource Editor for more details on that.

Welcome to the crowd and good luck!

p.s. I can confirm that old pre-3.0 recordings don't make it. If you can stand the loss in quality, save them to VCR and then play them back into TiVo. There's a good trick for setting TiVo up to record from a VCR in Jeff Keegan's book, but I haven't seen it posted so I'm reluctant to post it here.

TexARC
02-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I appreciate your reply - thanks.

1. If you want to FTP tys off the Tivo, use mfs_ftp, see above.
2. You'd need to read through the threads, but I'm pretty sure very old tys won't convert.
3. None of the utils changes the resolution in any way.
4. TyTool can take you right through to DVD in one app.

on the use mfs_ftp, see above... above ? ?

I have installed the TyStudio already - is TyTool compatible? (the 300+ and 500+ message sticky threads are frankly a mess from a noob perspective - Is there an FAQ on TyTools?

I did download the file TyTool8r3.zip, and trying to read the freaking doc file is difficult - it is FULL of technospeek terms that are not defined. Man! "split, m2v m2a, a/v offset, mux , .vob & .vob output, dvdauthor code, cygwin.dll, .ifo, .bup, PES packets DVD NAV Packets, custom requestor,
aieee... <G> It does appear to have a good set of step-by-step, as long as everything works exactly as expected I can probably muddle through.

It appears that you can't use TyTool all the way through to DVD unless you also get something called DVDAuthor?

Any chance there is a URL for a FAQ or educational page that would help me get up to speed?

rung
02-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Regarding your old streams, tystudio uses a program called tydemux. This is cut from the readme
tydemux -s [1/2] [options] -i tystream.ty -v output_video.mpg -a output_audio.ac3

* Basic extraction:

tydemux -s 2 -i tystream.ty -v output_video.mpg -a output_audio.ac3

In this mode, you will demux a Tivo version 2.x or higher tystream
and get a nice progress meter and also some basic information about
the TyStream. Only real errors will be reported.

-s 2
-s 1 no longer supported, use tydemux 0.4.2 if you want to demux
Tivo version 1.3 streams.
I don't know where you can find version 0.4.2, but I'm sure you look around or ask, you could find it.

As for making DVD compliant video, I always just use the generic mpeg option. I have found that this results in a mpg that works with standard DVD creating software.

sanderton
02-22-2004, 01:46 PM
I appreciate your reply - thanks.
on the use mfs_ftp, see above... above ? ?

Look at the list of threads in the forum, towards the top there's a sticky entitled mfs_ftp.

I have installed the TyStudio already - is TyTool compatible?

They are two entirely separate peices of software which do roughly the same thing.

I did download the file TyTool8r3.zip, and trying to read the freaking doc file is difficult - it is FULL of technospeek terms that are not defined. Man! "split, m2v m2a, a/v offset, mux , .vob & .vob output, dvdauthor code, cygwin.dll, .ifo, .bup, PES packets DVD NAV Packets, custom requestor,
aieee... <G> It does appear to have a good set of step-by-step, as long as everything works exactly as expected I can probably muddle through.

It appears that you can't use TyTool all the way through to DVD unless you also get something called DVDAuthor?

Any chance there is a URL for a FAQ or educational page that would help me get up to speed?

As you say, there are step by steps - try one and see how you get on. Don't expect to ba able to undserstand everything from just reading about it. Get your hands dirty! As for the technospeke - well, it's technical stuff hacking MPEG files - you want simple, attach one of those USB video grabbers to your PC. :)

Oh, and TyTools has moved on severl versions since 8r3, and DVDAuthor is included in the package.

PortlandPaw
02-22-2004, 04:45 PM
It took a little digging and self-education, but I finally figured out how to translate old pre-3.0 .ty streams (version 1.3 and 2.0, I think) to a generic .mpg file, ready for further editing with software such as mpeg2vcr, Video Wizard 2003 or some other MPEG editor.

First, get TyDemux 0.3.0 from http://dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1137. That's correct. The instructions to use 0.4.2 on old files were apparently in error. The older version works where 0.4.2 does not.

It's basically a three step process. First, run tydemux 0.3.0 to separate the ty stream into video and audio components. Use a command line such as:
tydemux -i {filename.ty} -v {filename_video.mpg} -a {filename_audio.ac3}

Next, the audio needs to be resampled from TiVo's recording rate to DVD settings:
tytranscode -m -s 48000 -i {filename_audio.ac3} -o {filename_audio2.ac3}

Finally, the audio and video need to be multiplexed back together:
tymplex -f 3 -V -o {filename_final.mpg} {filename_video.mpg} {filename_audio2.ac3}

And there you have it. The sync isn't perfect and there's probably a way to correct that, but I'm not such a perfectionist (nor are the clips that important) to spend hours trying to fix it. There's a green bar and a black bar on the left that people have commented upon but, again, I can't be bothered by that.

Readme notes included in the TyStudio distribution should provide further information about options, switches, etc. Interestingly, I couldn't find one for tymplex, but running it without any arguments provided sufficient information.

My thanks to rung for giving me a clue as to how to solve this problem. This has actually been a good learning experience for me regarding the mechanics of file conversions and helps me to appreciate all the work so many people have put into this and how recent efforts have made this task so much easier.

chrsturbo
02-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Ok I think I have the tyserver and tyindex running under 4.0 on a S2. Try this at your own risk. Shouldn't need any changes to the client. As which the ppc just upload it and run it.

NoCalME
02-28-2004, 09:03 PM
If I extract programs without any sort of editing, audio sync is fine. If I try to take out commercials and such before extracting, the audio gets out of sync. I'm extracting using Elemental Streams, No Transcoding. Anybody else having this same issue or have a solution?

chrsturbo
03-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Looks like your hitting the S2 index problem. Try this patch.
-Chris

I've been playing with various builds of TyStudios 0.5.0. All of the tools seem to segment fault when I try to work with any .ty file. The best results I have been binaries build from the latest CVS version as of (02/17/2004).

The .ty file I've been trying to use is from SA 2 software version 4.0.1b. The .ty files is a 1/2 hour program around 1.3 GB in size.

I've tried straces and look at the code, but I can't see where the problem lies. Any pointers, hints, would be appreciated.

Editor log file follows:

demux:probe.c:94: Probing TyStream .....
demux:misc.c:152:
demux:misc.c:153: Tystream recorded on:
demux:misc.c:156: SA Tivo Series 2
demux:misc.c:171: Software rev 3.0 or higher
demux:misc.c:176:
demux:misc.c:177: Tystream recoding audio stats:
demux:misc.c:179: MPEG Layer II audio
demux:misc.c:183: Average tyrecord (audio) size: 588
demux:misc.c:184: Audio frame size: 576
demux:misc.c:185: Audio frame time: 2160 (ticks)
demux:misc.c:186:
demux:misc.c:187: Tystream recoding video stats:
demux:misc.c:200: Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec
demux:misc.c:220:
demux:probe.c:178: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:chunk_read.c:339: Read Chunk: chunk 0 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:probe.c:253: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:probe.c:257: Skipping to chunk 1 - reseting chunk numbering

demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4094 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4095 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 8191 - over flow in records - skipping
demux:index_edit.c:264: seq_present_in_chunk: chunk 10431 - chunk is to small -
skipping

------end of strace output ----------

gettimeofday({1077173480, 944394}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944626}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944673}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 944770}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1077173480, 945003}, NULL) = 0

tytyty
03-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Im using Chrsturbo's Tyserver and tyindex and applied the S2patch to index_edit.c.

Im still having tystudio die at 49% while indexing

How I built (Slackware 9.0)

cd tydemux/tydemux
patch -p1 < S2patch
asks for file I say index_edit.c
cd ..
make tydemux
cp the resulting executable over current one
chmod 755

any ideas?

I did an strace but all I really see is

gettimeofday({1078271023, 412310}, NULL) = 0

The gettimeofday just scrolls like mad :)

chrsturbo
03-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Im using Chrsturbo's Tyserver and tyindex and applied the S2patch to index_edit.c.

Im still having tystudio die at 49% while indexing

How I built (Slackware 9.0)

cd tydemux/tydemux
patch -p1 < S2patch
asks for file I say index_edit.c
cd ..
make tydemux
cp the resulting executable over current one
chmod 755

any ideas?

I did an strace but all I really see is

gettimeofday({1078271023, 412310}, NULL) = 0

The gettimeofday just scrolls like mad :)

So are you loading a .ty from your local machine or are you using the tivo?
The tivo should index the files (says yes in the indexed column) if your pulling from a now showing. Have you tried another stream or do all streams do this? Is this a linux tydemux?
-Chris

tytyty
03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
I have tried 3 ways

1. dl ty with mfs_ftp
2. dl and save to PC with tystudio that must have crashed it was dead in morning
3. try the ty that was left after #2

mjreilly
03-11-2004, 10:59 PM
I was using tystudio very successfully until very recently. Now when I load a ty file from the local harddrive or from the now showing the tystudio window never shows the video. It seems to go though everything correctly, tranferring data, getting index times etc but the video never shows in the window. It just stays on the two default buttons. The funny thing is, although the two buttons stay in the window you can't click on them.

Otherwise the progam works fine, I'm just not able to edit the video because I can't see it! I've tried reinstalling tystudio but no dice. I wonder if it might have something to do with installing the aqua verison of KOffice so I tried installing QT3 through fink but that didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can recover from this?

thanks,

matt

aersloat
03-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how I can recover from this?

I don't, but I don't think it is related to aqua KOffice as I installed that and tystudio is still working. Aqua KOffice installs everything into /opt/kde and /Applications and shouldn't affect anything running in X11.

phronq
03-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I was hoping to not have to post asking for help, but I'm stuck.

I'm ftping .ty files from my series 2 DirecTivo (which is running kmem in order to not scramble) to my PC, running WinXP SP1. Whenever I try to open any files with TyStudio 0.5.0 b2, it crashes after indexing 49% of any file I've attempted.

I've tried it on two different machines, and it's always the same result. Any tips would be welcome.

TexARC
03-20-2004, 11:24 PM
I've tried both AC3 and 4800. When I convert a .ty to an .mpg, the audio is not loud enough if I set the audio levels to MAX.

Is there any solution? The goal is to put some MPGs onto a DVD as a backup and be able to play them with a "regular" dvd player. thanks

cojonesdetoro
03-22-2004, 12:00 PM
The goal is to put some MPGs onto a DVD as a backup and be able to play them with a "regular" dvd player. thanks

Hi,

It seems a lot of people are trying to use this tool and not succeeding. I think that development on this project has pretty much dried up whereas the tytools project is flourishing. You may wan to give it a go.

I don't want to start a flame over which is better but it seems that some posters don't even know about tytools.

It's a shame, really. I felt that the two projects were more complimentary than competative. There were some ty streams I was not able to process with tytools that tystudio was able to handle... and vice-versa. Tytools has has since matured and is able to handle a lot more corruption and 'flakynes' in the ty streams. Old streams I was not able to get onto to DVD with either product (mostly audio sync, audio dropping) are 'do-able' now.

aersloat
03-22-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd love to at least try TyTool, but I am not about to go out and buy a PC to do so. The nice thing about TyStudio is that it is cross platform. I am sure that Josh is doing great work and I can hardly fault him for developing on his platform of choice. But it would be nice to have a choice...

TheWickedPriest
03-22-2004, 06:27 PM
The nice thing about TyStudio is that it is cross platform.And the other nice thing is that it's open-source, Free software.

quitesure
03-22-2004, 07:44 PM
QtTyStudio Editor is not updating my "now showing" list after clicking "Refresh". Tried deleting and reinstalling; has not updated the list. Over on my PC, no problems. Any thoughts?

malfunct
03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I'd love to at least try TyTool, but I am not about to go out and buy a PC to do so. The nice thing about TyStudio is that it is cross platform. I am sure that Josh is doing great work and I can hardly fault him for developing on his platform of choice. But it would be nice to have a choice...

Would be nice if someone took the time to make tystudio work for series 2 streams.

EDIT: that comment isn't meant to be a cut at tystudio or a plug for tytools, it really would be nice to make tystudio work with series 2 streams for those on other platforms and those who like tystudio better and whoever else.

whytokay
03-22-2004, 09:18 PM
QtTyStudio Editor is not updating my "now showing" list after clicking "Refresh". Tried deleting and reinstalling; has not updated the list. Over on my PC, no problems. Any thoughts?

I've always had success with TyStudio, but ever so often tyindex tends to quit on the TIVO box. Just Telnet to TIVO and execute the program...
/var/index/tyindex

chrsturbo
03-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Would be nice if someone took the time to make tystudio work for series 2 streams.

EDIT: that comment isn't meant to be a cut at tystudio or a plug for tytools, it really would be nice to make tystudio work with series 2 streams for those on other platforms and those who like tystudio better and whoever else.
It'd also be nice if people read the threads they post in. 'bout 5-6 messages back I posted the series 2 MIPs binaries. If you let them index on the tivo the same client will work.

EDIT: that snipe wasn't meant to be too critical it just reads that way:)

tytyty
03-23-2004, 12:42 AM
It'd also be nice if people read the threads they post in. 'bout 5-6 messages back I posted the series 2 MIPs binaries. If you let them index on the tivo the same client will work.
and I have to say they work splendidly.
tystudio is a great tool that I have never found to fail me.

Slee MR2
03-24-2004, 08:48 PM
How do I compile and install TyStudio on FreeBSD 4.9?

I have downloaded and ftp'd the tystudio-0.5.0.tar.gz and used the gzip -d command leaving me with the tystudio-0.5.0.tar file. I can extract the tar. and it gives me a load of files to choose from but there is no configure, make or make install commands to execute. Also, when I go to the installer/Linux directory and try to run the installer.sh all I get as output on the screen is line after line of "==".

I am runing a IBM machine with FreeBSD 4.9, Apache 1.3.29 and PHP 4.3.4.

I need the required commands to install/compile on FreeBSD 4.9 from the /usr/tystudio-0.5.0 directory.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

- Matt :confused:
matt.slee@m3ltd.com

loucapo
03-24-2004, 09:15 PM
I've seen this question asked, but I have'nt seen a solution. Either that ori missed it.

I have everything running & am able to connect to my Tivo from tyStudio but none of my shows are getting indexed. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Lou :confused:

cojonesdetoro
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
tyindex is cantankerous and it's also a black box. It gives absolutely no feedback and takes not command line arguments. The good news is that the source is available for anyone willing to make it 'better'.

I would like a more stable version but it's not a high enough priority for me to build a development system and learn C programming.

chrsturbo
03-25-2004, 12:16 AM
I've seen this question asked, but I have'nt seen a solution. Either that ori missed it.

I have everything running & am able to connect to my Tivo from tyStudio but none of my shows are getting indexed. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Lou :confused:
Is tyindex running? It does die occasionally but I've had it running on a Sat-T60 for many months without intervention and its been running well on my S2 Dtivo.
-Chris

loucapo
03-25-2004, 01:02 AM
how can i tell? sorry to be a bit of a newbie!

rung
03-25-2004, 08:07 AM
how can i tell? sorry to be a bit of a newbie!

Type
ps x | grep ty and you should see tyindex, tyserver and the
grep command that you just typed.

tpaolillo
03-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi, I have a weird problem. When I run the tyeditor, it
still shops stuff from the last time I ran tyeditor and all that stuff
isn't there anymore and the new stuff doesent show up.
What I do is I load TyStudio and then click "Click here to load Now
Showing."
No matter how may times I hit refresh it still shows the old stuff..

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Tony

Mr novice
03-27-2004, 04:07 AM
I just downloaded chrsturbo's patch but I'm not very linux savy. Can someone point me int the right direction on this.

I'm also using this to try to stream shows so I can watch them on my pc and I'm getting the following error:
demux:tydemux.c:478: Probe failed
I not sure what that even means.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

TTT
03-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Tysever won't start on my series 2 philips 7000, keeps saying cannot execute binary- and the file has execute permissions. I did everything the install txt file said to do . Any ideas

TTT
03-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Am I missing something ?

rc3105
03-30-2004, 07:38 PM
other than that tystudio doesn't work on s2's?

tytyty
03-30-2004, 09:37 PM
other than that tystudio doesn't work on s2's?
Thats incorrect, the proper binaries and fixes for the client have been in this thread for some time.

Thanks to chrsturbo

TTT
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
So that tyserver.zip that chrsturbo posted will fix the problem with it not being able to execute binary ? I don't think I've seen any other post with this same problem .
Thanks

tytyty
03-31-2004, 03:21 PM
So that tyserver.zip that chrsturbo posted will fix the problem with it not being able to execute binary ? I don't think I've seen any other post with this same problem .
Thanks
The one chrsturbo posted is for mips ie S2 the ones on sourceforge are ppc ie S1

Take a minute to thank chrsturbo for his conributions also.

machead
03-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Short version: a known working version of tydemux (OS X) is choking on programs that I downloaded from my HDVR2 using mfs_ftp

Quick overview of my system:
HDVR2, 3.1.1b,monte'd with Sleeper ISO, kmem, Linksys USB Ethernet, etc.
Client system is a G4 with 10.3.3.

Long version:
I've had a great workflow going, burning DVDs of my programs with DVD Studio Pro; those details aren't relevant so I won't bore you with them.

To get the .ty files out of my HDVR2, I've been using MFSStream on TivoWeb (whatever version is on Sleeper ISO, and it works like a charm, as long as the files are less than 2GB in size. My experience confirms what I've read in these threads, that >2GB files can't be downloaded with TivoWeb/MFSStream. Therefore, up to this point, I've been playing with lots of 30 minute programs. :) Once I get the .ty down from MFSStream, I use tydemux on the command line to split the .ty into .m2a and .m2v files, and from there I'm home free, thanks to DVDSP.

Here's the problem. I decided I have some >2GB programs I want to keep, so last night I installed mfs_ftp 1.2.9 into /var/mfs_ftp and then put in the S2 mfs_ftp binaries. I also changed rc.sysinit.author, because Sleeper ISO still has it pointing to old mfs_ftp junk in /usr that I didn't want. I start up the new mfs_ftp, and ftp into the box with the following command from the OS X terminal:

ftp -A -P 3105 10.0.1.215

Connects fine, active mode because of the -A option, I change Type to Binary, cd into the ty directory, get my file, it comes down apparently fine (1.4Mbps even).
Then I try to run tydemux on the file, and it outputs the following into the log:
---
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 4933 is out of alignment with 16 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 13153 is out of alignment with 16 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 14797 is out of alignment with 16 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 16441 is out of alignment with 32 bytes
demux: probe.c:657: probe_audio_tick_size: Warning: can't determine std audio size PLEASE SEND A REPORT - SAVE THE TYSTREAM
demux:main.c:73:
Your stream is not aligned - please use -b to specify byte offset
---
Umm... -b is not a valid option for tydemux, at least not on the OS X version. Even if it were, what is the byte offset in question?

Okay, so I repeat the whole process for a different >2GB program, and I get this:
---
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 3379 is out of alignment with 16 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 6757 is out of alignment with 16 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 8446 is out of alignment with 32 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 11824 is out of alignment with 16 bytes
demux:chunk_read.c:548: WARNING: Chunk 13513 is out of alignment with 48 bytes
demux:main.c:73:
Your stream is not aligned - please use -b to specify byte offset
---

Keeping in mind that this same version of tydemux has worked perfectly with all the <2GB MFSStream-downloaded .tys I've ever thrown at it, I'm trying to figure out why these new .ty files are different. Here's a few possibilities I'm currently trying to research:

1) Are the .ty files I've been getting from MFSStream/TivoWeb really .ty, or are they .ty+ or .tmf, etc.? I was under the assumption that plain .ty is what I had been getting, so plain .ty is what I was downloading from mfs_ftp as well. I may try downloading the ty+ and tmf versions and see if tydemux has any better luck.

2) Should a mfs_ftp downloaded .ty be identical to a MFSStream downloaded .ty? I'll probably try redownloading some of the known working 30 minute .ty's using mfs_ftp instead of MFSStream, and see if tydemux craps out in the same way.

3) Could I be running into a difference in the content of .ty streams here? I've read a lot about AC3 vs. MP2 audio here, for example - is it possible that the >2GB thing is a red herring, and that the two large files I've tried both just happen to have some content that tydemux can't handle?

4) Finally, the mfs_ftp readme.txt said something about it handling VIDEO only - I was initially confused by that because I've read dozens of posts about the use of mfs_ftp to download .ty streams which I was fairly sure are always video and audio. In the end, I assumed that the "VIDEO only" warning meant that it maybe didn't do XML program info or TiVo settings or whatever, but not that AUDIO wasn't supported. Was I wrong in that assumption?

This is only the second post I've ever made, because 95% of everything I've needed has been very easily accessible in existing threads. Great resource.

machead

TTT
03-31-2004, 06:34 PM
So do I put the one for mips S2 in the same place (directory) as the ppc S1 would go ? And do I follow the directions the same .

chrsturbo
04-01-2004, 03:10 AM
So do I put the one for mips S2 in the same place (directory) as the ppc S1 would go ? And do I follow the directions the same .
Yea just stick it in a temp dir and run it. Should work. I didn't modify the package just the bins so if you don't like the way it mangles your rc.sysinit deal with it:) But it should work. Let me know if your milage varries and I'll try and fix. Personally I think tystudio is about the coolest thing out there (being pretty windows disinclined:) so I hope everyone will use it:) Hmm tystudio.tpm....

TTT
04-01-2004, 05:55 PM
chrsturbo- Thanks for the file it worked ,now I just need to fix the indexing getting stuck at 49%. Is this an issue with the tivo or computer ?

chrsturbo
04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
chrsturbo- Thanks for the file it worked ,now I just need to fix the indexing getting stuck at 49%. Is this an issue with the tivo or computer ?
Your client (the binary from sourceforge) can't index S2 streams. However the tyindex on the tivo can:) So just let your tivo finish indexing (it WILL take a while) and then only attempt to edit streams that say "yes" under indexed. Otherwise I can post a patch if your brave enough to build your own tyeditor. Or I have linux bins if you are running such a thing.

TTT
04-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Your client (the binary from sourceforge) can't index S2 streams. However the tyindex on the tivo can:) So just let your tivo finish indexing (it WILL take a while) and then only attempt to edit streams that say "yes" under indexed. Otherwise I can post a patch if your brave enough to build your own tyeditor. Or I have linux bins if you are running such a thing.

No I don't have a linux system other than the Tivo. I'm running XP. I can download fine and after it's downloaded it trys to index the show and it stops at 49% . Do I need to remove the file from sourceforge that's on the tivo or is the problem on the computer(XP) .
All the now showings are indexed (I did it last night ) So what do I need to do to resolve the 49% thing. My Brother-in-law is a linux guru so whatever I need to do to get it running. Just let me know where to put it and the steps that need to be taken.
Thanks alot for all your help!!!!!

chrsturbo
04-01-2004, 07:25 PM
No I don't have a linux system other than the Tivo. I'm running XP. I can download fine and after it's downloaded it trys to index the show and it stops at 49% . Do I need to remove the file from sourceforge that's on the tivo or is the problem on the computer(XP) .
All the now showings are indexed (I did it last night ) So what do I need to do to resolve the 49% thing. My Brother-in-law is a linux guru so whatever I need to do to get it running. Just let me know where to put it and the steps that need to be taken.
Thanks alot for all your help!!!!!
Ok I guess I need to be a little less terse. You cannot download a non-indexed show from a S2 to your computer and index it. Not without recompiling the tystudio you run. You don't want to do that. Now if as you say your now showing is showing totally indexed then you shouldn't be indexing on the XP box. So either you are clicking download to computer which you shouldn't or you are selecting an unindexed showing. Either way if you attempt to index in the XP box it won't work. Just select shows that say yes in the indexed column and don't click download to the computer. You should be fine (save those occasional streams that are difficult:)

So the steps are:
start tystudio
click load from now-showing
enter your tivos name or addr and refresh if needed
Select an indexed show and click ok
It should say "fetching data"
Edit and hit process

How's that?

TTT
04-01-2004, 07:53 PM
OK before I do that I'm going to ask -If I don't download them to my PC then how will I Burn to DVD ?
Thanks

Never mind Please excuse my ignorance , I see that it converts it to mpeg and then puts it on the puter.
This is great!!!!
Thank you very much for all the help!!!

TheWickedPriest
04-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Your client (the binary from sourceforge) can't index S2 streams. However the tyindex on the tivo can.
Why is that?

chrsturbo
04-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Why is that?
Well the SEQ time stamps for a GOP have moved from within their own packet to inside the I-frame packet. This changes the type of packet it needs mark to find a complete GOP or cut point (which is what the index is). Simple change but it does require recomplilation of the client; however if you use my already recompiled tyindex it sends everything you need and your current client will work fine.

TTT
04-03-2004, 07:49 AM
I got a fatal error while trying to process a program .

demux: get_audio: Warning! Audio size 1538 while pes says size 1536
demux: Temporal Reference Error - Repairing
demux: Pure tmp ref error
demux: Unable to repair temporal reference error

What can I do to fix this ?

rung
04-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Well the SEQ time stamps for a GOP have moved from within their own packet to inside the I-frame packet. This changes the type of packet it needs mark to find a complete GOP or cut point (which is what the index is). Simple change but it does require recomplilation of the client; however if you use my already recompiled tyindex it sends everything you need and your current client will work fine.

Very impressive. Can you post the source changes that you made? I found a zip file, but it only had the binary.

noone001
04-04-2004, 01:39 PM
I know there was earlier discussion of running tystudio in X11 on Panther. I used the tools before with Jaguar, but only now have tried to run it since I upgraded my system. Can anyone give me advice?

The error I get is:

dyld: /Applications/tystudio/tyeditor can't open library: /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

I understood that we don't have to install dlcompat with Panther and X11 v1, right? (I tried to install this anyway - it didn't help!)

Bob

chrsturbo
04-04-2004, 11:49 PM
I got a fatal error while trying to process a program .

demux: Temporal Reference Error - Repairing
demux: Pure tmp ref error
demux: Unable to repair temporal reference error

What can I do to fix this ?
This looks like a stream error is occuring often?

TTT
04-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Yeah it has happened a couple times , I think . What do I need to do ?

AlphaWolf
04-07-2004, 07:07 PM
I just got an S2 tivo myself, and I would very much like to see this project continue again. I am not sure where Olaf has been, nor have I heard from him in a while, but I should have write access to the CVS tree, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I checked in any compatibility/bug fixes. As soon as school ends (just over a month from now,) I'll be able to spend time into doing just that with your changes, and maybe we can have another semi-official release on our hands.

tytyty
04-07-2004, 07:55 PM
I just got an S2 tivo myself, and I would very much like to see this project continue again. I am not sure where Olaf has been, nor have I heard from him in a while, but I should have write access to the CVS tree, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I checked in any compatibility/bug fixes. As soon as school ends (just over a month from now,) I'll be able to spend time into doing just that with your changes, and maybe we can have another semi-official release on our hands.

Glad to hear this AW, Im sure chrsturbo has some suggestions and fixes also. I have always used TyStudio with excellent results for the limited amount of burning I do.

gyre
04-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Party on Alphawolf :)

I use TyStudio cos it works with my UK tivo. I'd love to see it taken further.

-- gyre --

bschwart
04-28-2004, 02:50 PM
I have an S2 Dtivo too, and I would like to be able to use this as well. Although I am not a programmer, I would consider contributing in another way (Amazon Wishlist?).

I do have a question. If I install the .5 release on my S2 DTivo, from what I understand, I can probably get most of my TY files indexed on the TiVo itself. What exactly does that mean? I am just wondering if it would store these indexes on the TiVo. I just don't know what it is doing on the TiVo which makes me a bit skeptical to install and run these processes.

Thanks,
Brian

chrsturbo
04-28-2004, 03:14 PM
I do have a question. If I install the .5 release on my S2 DTivo, from what I understand, I can probably get most of my TY files indexed on the TiVo itself. What exactly does that mean? I am just wondering if it would store these indexes on the TiVo. I just don't know what it is doing on the TiVo which makes me a bit skeptical to install and run these processes.

Thanks,
Brian
Ok let me try and make it step by step.
1) Install a client. You can download that from the links at the top of the thread
2) Install the server on your tivo. If its a S2 use the package I posted a few pages back.
3) Let it run for a while- this time varies. You may also have to intermittantly check the tyindex process as it seems to die early on sometimes. Just restart it or reboot.
4) Once the "load from now showing" shows every thing indexed your good to go.

As to how it does this yes it puts a /var/index/index dir on your tivo and saves indexes of every show in there. It uses two processes that run on your tivo tyindex and tyserver. Tyindex watches your nowshowing and indexes any new completed shows. Tyserver serves up both the indexes and video to the clients. Because your client will use these indexes it will all work. You cannot use your client to download an unindexed show and expect to do anything to it. How's that?

rung
04-28-2004, 08:34 PM
I suppose this belongs in this thread. I made a version of tydemux that extracts the closed-captions data stream and time codes. Here is the thread (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34436). The output file can be directly imported into Scenarist. I am working on editing the file so that commercials can be removed from your DVDs with closed-captions.

pheitman
05-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I finally got my CacheCard so that I could extract videos from my TiVo. I want to do this for two reasons - first to burn some of them on DVD and second to be able to play them from my pc on my TiVos. For the first task it appears that I have two choices - TyStudio and TyTool. I have heard that TyStudio is not in development any more (which would normally cause me to choose TyTool), but then I see that you (rung) have posted a new version of tydemux that handles Closed Captioning (in response to my request for confirmation that extracted TiVo files retain the CC information - thank you!). You also state that you are working on being able to edit out commercials and retain the CC in sync. That's critical to me. In my household I can't archive shows without CC. I don't have any information about whether TyTool supports CC... That would normally cause me to choose TyStudio and tydemux...

You can see my problem. Does anyone have information that can help me understand the current and future state of TyStudio?

rung
05-01-2004, 07:07 PM
In my household I can't archive shows without CC. I don't have any information about whether TyTool supports CC... That would normally cause me to choose TyStudio and tydemux...

Until CC on DVD is perfected, you could just archive native ty's extracted with mfs_ftp on DVD and then re-insert them back onto your Tivo with the same program. All CC info is saved in the ty's.

joeblough
05-25-2004, 02:54 AM
folks,

for anyone that cares, i downloaded the source to tystudio 0.5b2 and built the tystudio binaries under panther.

however, i think i just realized that the stuff in the sourceforge CVS is newer than the source on the tystudio web page. is this correct? because one of the .dmg files in the CVS tree is marked as 0.5b3a1. if so i'll re-build from the latest sources. bummer because it was kind of a PITA :)

anyway most of the programs in that .dmg seem to work okay under panther, but tyeditor complains about dylib. this version might be slightly out of date but it does bring up the gui. unfortunately i'm still waiting for my tivonet card so i cant tell if it actually works. maybe someone can try it for me and let me know?

http://www.pfile.org/tyeditor-0.5b2.panther.dmg.gz

edit: crud. this thing is dynamically linked and depends on all kinds of stuff being installed via fink. i'll have to figure out how to tweak the makefiles for static linking.

noone001
05-25-2004, 06:40 PM
I have tystudio-0.5b2a.dmg (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dvd-create/tydemux/installer/OSX/Output/) working fine under Panther currently. I had to change the link to dylib as mentioned in the thread below:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159872&postcount=18

Are the source binaries better than what is in tystudio-0.5b2a? Now that I fixed the above problem, it is working well. I'm not sure you need to recompile!

Bob

folks,

for anyone that cares, i downloaded the source to tystudio 0.5b2 and built the tystudio binaries under panther.

joeblough
05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
well, i missed that post, so i didnt know about doing the symlink. that's good news because for the life of me i cant figure out how to get a statically linked binary on OSX.

in any case the code has lots of problems compiling on 10.3 right now. if alphawolf decides to start hacking on it we are going to need to do another OSX build eventually. or i suppose we could try compiling under 10.2, but i'm not sure if panther is actually the problem, the code may just have rotted enough that it wont compile without help.

as for the diffs between the .dmg and the latest CVS, i dont know. i'd need to see if the RCS/CVS headers are compiled into the binaries to see if the versions of the files in CVS are newer than the ones in the .dmg

so does tystudio work okay in general? seems that tytools are all the rage now. i noticed different posts saying that audio sync gets all messed up when you edit with tyedit. is that really the case?

noone001
05-25-2004, 08:07 PM
TyStudio works pretty well for me under Panther, although I have had problems with audio synch when I edit out commercials for an hour show. I'd love a fix for that! TyTools would be great if they could be built for OS X! As far as I know, we only have TyStudio to work with.

JimN36
05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Ok, I'm still pretty much a newbie at this. I have successfully hacked my TiVo, gotten bash prompt through serial, installed a USB 802.11b wireless network adapter, I can telnet & ftp to the TiVo, used MFS_FTP to transfer files to my computer, etc.

What I am trying to do now is use TYStudio to edit out the commercials from a show.

What happens...
I start TYStudio and it gives me the 2 buttons to load from local hard drive or from TiVo. I click "Load from local hard drive". It gives me a directory listing and I go find my .ty file I want to play with. I select to open it... and TYStudio exits. No error message or anything, just completely goes away. I have tried the program on my AMD processor based laptop running Win XP home and on my P4 based desktop running XP pro. I thought... Hey, am I supposed to have cygwin installed to run this? So I downloaded and installed the cygwin libraries... it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Waruwaru
05-27-2004, 06:33 PM
How about give the latest TyTool a whirl?

steve90071
06-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I loaded Chrsturbo's tyserver.mips.sh file into "var" on my RCA Direct Tv DVRF40 (sleepered). I executed the file and it went through various steps leading to a suggested change in my rc.sysinit file. It said it would take a few seconds to make the modification to the file (that would ensure tyserver to work). It then went on making the following marks ......... like that for several minutes and then reported an invalid option (I think that was the phrase but I failed to save the terminal file) about 150 times before I aborted.

I am using osx 10.3.4 on an imac. Ty Studio reports unable to obtain now showing from tivo.

My primary worry is that a reboot of my Tivo may fail due to the failed execution of the tyserver file. Can anyone provide some advice?

I have attached a copy of my rc.sysinit file after execution) in text format.

rc3105
06-26-2004, 07:16 PM
1) use joe or vi to comment out

in rc.sysinit with #'s

#/var/index/tyindex > /dev/null 2>&1 &
#/var/index/tyserver > /dev/null 2>&1 &

2) from a telnet session start tyindex & tyserver manually by entering those same commands - if that doesn't crash the tivo it should be safe to re-enable tyserver/tyindex in rc.sysinit

generally speaking, it would be better to launch them from the end of rc.sysinit.author

steve90071
06-27-2004, 08:24 PM
I was able to reboot. Thanks for the help.

ace ventura
06-27-2004, 09:43 PM
i have the same problem can not access the now showing list, is there a file ii need to reset to get it working again.

steve90071
07-02-2004, 07:46 PM
I am running TyStudio on a mac with osX10.3.3 and 10X and with an S2DTivo using chrsturbo's series 2 tyserver app. Tyindex correctly identifies the fsids to be indexed. But, after indexing all but the last chunk of each fsid it says "segmentation fault" and quits.

Anybody have an idea for a fix?

budrecki
07-10-2004, 11:25 PM
I am having the same problem as steve90071.
I've got tyserver/tyindex mips installed ... thank you chrsturbo.

Unfortunately, tyindex is seg-faulting at the last chunk - every time.
Any suggestions would be appreciated ...

redstone
07-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I start TYStudio and it gives me the 2 buttons to load from local hard drive or from TiVo. I click "Load from local hard drive". It gives me a directory listing and I go find my .ty file I want to play with. I select to open it... and TYStudio exits. No error message or anything, just completely goes away. I thought... Hey, am I supposed to have cygwin installed to run this? So I downloaded and installed the cygwin libraries... it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I am in almost the same boat except Tystudio puts up a dialog box (I am using the windows version on XP) that says:
"Failed to load the selected ty file"

These are non-scrambled ty files extracted from an HD-TIVO.

This brings up three questions:

1) Is Tystudio still being supported and updated?

2) Is there a debug logfile begin written out somewhere so I can maybe see what it does not like?

3) Is the format of the ty file for High Def streams on the HD-TIVO totally different so I don't have a chance of getting past go?

Here is where anyone who wants can download an HD Clip extracted from an HD-TIVO and see if they get the same error.
The clip is courtesy of mikemav.
The website is mine and the file has been virus scanned

http://southriver.web.aplus.net/
FYI,The clip " law and order" plays just fine in mplayer

Thanks in advance to any answers to my questions.

JQ

alldeadhomiez
07-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Tystudio/tydemux is no longer supported by its original authors. However, since the source code is freely available from Sourceforge, anybody can fix bugs and make improvements.

If you start it from gdb, you will be able to do a backtrace to see where it is crashing.

magrute
08-10-2004, 02:29 AM
i just installed tystudio-0.5.0 on my linux box and when i try running it
i can't read any thing. all the letters just come up as little squares.
i am new to linux so i don't know if i have a configuration problem or if it is tystudio.
i am running redhat 9 2.4.18-6mdk kernal
do i have something wrong on my end or is it tystudio?
any help would be appriciated

Euthyphro
09-14-2004, 02:21 AM
TyStudio's *.ty files are not ty+ files. Is there a way to convert these files back to ty+ and move them back to tivo? Alternatively, is there a way to bulk download/upload from/to Tivo?

there's currently no way to save an edited ty, just save the cutlist with the original. (it can be done manually or with batch scripts, but the edited file would confuse the stream repair routines if you tried to convert to mpg later)

ty & ty+ from mfs_ftp are internally identical. the ty+ suffix is just a convenience to differentiate mfs_ftp tyfiles from other sources like mfs_export, tivoweb mfsstream, tytool or tystudio which don't include the xml info. renaming ty+ to ty will allow TyEditor to open them from the selection dialog box. typrocess - the command line version of tydemux/mplex in TyEditor - doesn't care what the suffix is

IMHO TyStudio's killer feature is the ability to preview & convert selected segments without extracting the entire recording :)

rung
09-14-2004, 04:07 AM
TyStudio's *.ty files are not ty+ files. Is there a way to convert these files back to ty+ and move them back to tivo? They really aren't even ty files (not in the modern sense anyway) since they have been stripped of their master chunks. So no, the tystudio ty's cannot be reinserted or converted back with any of the available tools. Use mfs_ftp to get ty's.
Alternatively, is there a way to bulk download/upload from/to Tivo? You mean other than mfs_ftp?