PDA

View Full Version : Easy TiVo TV shows => DIVX5.05 AVI

VideoJedi
06-02-2003, 02:06 PM
I figured I would share my recent experience with extracting TiVo recordings and encoding to divx avi. Here's my process:

1) Take TiVo MPEG2 (demux from ty stream, combine audio+video to mpg if working with separate audio/video files, such as with older 1.3 recordings) and use MPEG2VCR (http://www.womble.com/products.htm) tools GOP Fixer. I found if I don't GOP fix, the audio may get out of sync with the video during commercial editing.

2) Use GOP-fixed MPEG2 in MPEG2VCR (http://www.womble.com/products.htm) to edit out commercials using mark-in/mark-out/scissors button. Select entire remaining clip and use what looks like purple battery button to save commercial-editted MPG.

3) Open MPG in Dr. Divx (http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/) .. run through the 3 easy steps to crop and setup the encode.

4) In less time than encoding manually with Virtualdub, Dr. Divx (http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/) will encode your video (I dunno how Dr. Divx (http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/) can encode so much faster on my machine, but it does a great job).

Done!

dvwannab
06-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Which DivX codec is Dr. DivX is using to create file?

What quality is it producing?

Is it only 1 pass or can it do 2 pass as well?

dvwannab
06-02-2003, 02:27 PM
My bad, I see you are using DivX 5.05.

sabasigh
06-02-2003, 03:31 PM
I downloaded a .ty demuxed through Tytool 7. I then ran the .m2v file through DVD 2 AVI and added a .wav header to the .mpa file in CDex.

I then loaded both these into Vdub, did my edits...saved as .avi.

Then encoded the .avi as a Divx...quality and sync were excellent.

Granted...it's time consuming...but good results.

VideoJedi
06-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sabasigh
I downloaded a .ty demuxed through Tytool 7. I then ran the .m2v file through DVD 2 AVI and added a .wav header to the .mpa file in CDex.

I then loaded both these into Vdub, did my edits...saved as .avi.

Then encoded the .avi as a Divx...quality and sync were excellent.

Granted...it's time consuming...but good results.

That's generally how I used to do it (Nandub with 2-pass though), but now that DrDivx is out and it can encode so much quicker than manually setting it up in Vdub, I been using it to clean and archive off as many shows as possible from my TiVo. Even for an hour and a half movie at 320x240 resolution, 32Khz sound, MP3 at 128Kbps and video bitrate somewhere around 700Kbps the vids for a target 700MB file are encoding quickly and look better than if I had used VHS. I'm using 2-pass in DrDivx too. I'm still amazed that the same parameters I would use in DrDivx, put into a Virtualdub encode from the same movie only yield around 11frames per second in Virtualdub, but go around 29 frames per second in DrDivx (on my PIII 667Mhz pc). I don't know where the speed difference comes in, but Dr Divx is my "quick and dirty" archive program of choice now. Some encodes I have done are nearly indistinguishable from the native source on my TiVo (basic quality before VBR came out) and all of them are very decent quality.

sabasigh
06-02-2003, 04:22 PM
320/240...is that what you're encoding too? What resolution are you starting from?

Does Dr. Divx resize and IVTC as well?

Finally, where can I download this?

Thanks!

VideoJedi
06-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sabasigh
320/240...is that what you're encoding too? What resolution are you starting from?

Does Dr. Divx resize and IVTC as well?

Finally, where can I download this?

Thanks!

At least from my old tivo 1.3 recordings I am working with, the original resolution is 352x480. I am encoding to 320x240 just cause these are not what I consider important recordings to get off my tivo. I just want them off of it, so I can overall increase the recording quality for my weekly show recordings by storing less on my TiVo.

DrDivx resizes and I believe it inverse telecines (makes progressive from interlaced source). There's some options to change on that. I just go with the default for now.

There's a 15-day trial at
http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/

porkface
06-06-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm fairly new to these TiVo tools, but have been using the various others for awhile now (Gknot, Vdub, DVD2AVI, etc).

Could you please explain the part above about "add wav headers using CDex"? Basically I'm curious how to do it, what it does, and why you need to do it.

Also, when you mention "run it through DVD2AVI," do you mean saving a .d2v project file or are you saving it as a compressed AVI? I assume you mean save a project, but I want to be sure.

Also, if I want to save to DivX at maximum resolution supported by my TiVo, what should I be shooting for given that the TyTool output is 480x480? The whole interlacing business always throws me off my game.

thanks.

sabasigh
06-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by porkface
I'm fairly new to these TiVo tools, but have been using the various others for awhile now (Gknot, Vdub, DVD2AVI, etc).

Could you please explain the part above about "add wav headers using CDex"? Basically I'm curious how to do it, what it does, and why you need to do it.

Also, when you mention "run it through DVD2AVI," do you mean saving a .d2v project file or are you saving it as a compressed AVI? I assume you mean save a project, but I want to be sure.

Also, if I want to save to DivX at maximum resolution supported by my TiVo, what should I be shooting for given that the TyTool output is 480x480? The whole interlacing business always throws me off my game.

thanks.

I'm pretty much a newbie as well, so my process may include unnecessary steps...but it works for me.

If your video file is demuxed and your audio file is either .mpa, .mp2, Vdub can't handle that. I use a program called CDex to add a .wav header to the audio file. That way, I can now select that track as the audio file in Vdub.

In DVD2AVI, I run the .m2v file through it and save it as a .d2v project. Then I use Vfapi converter to put a .avi wrapper on the .d2v file...then I run it through Vdub.

You're just gonna have to experiment with resolutions and see what results you're happiest with.

Hope that helps...

VideoJedi
06-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Just a note.. I don't always need to GOP-fix the video in MPEG2VCR. If the audio gets out of sync I will GOP-fix or simply save the file again in MPEG2VCR. Sometimes saving the file again without any edits will make it possible to commercial-edit without having the audio go out of sync with the video.

r0x
06-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey VideoJedi,

I followed your procedure but I still wound up with a stuttering out of sync. audio output from Dr. Divx. This is my procedure - maybe I'm missing something...

- Extract video from DTiVo with TivoWeb;
- Create .mpg from .ty with TyTool 7r3; /* No editing of any kind */
File -> TyStream mode;
File -> Multiplex Files;
Options -> Mux Options -> Standard Mux Output;
- Open .mpg in MPEG2VCR v3.14;
Tools -> Options -> MPEG Video GOP Fixer -> All above: Scan ==> Fix == GOP resize;
- Open Dr. Divx 1.0;
Select Video Input -> Video File -> (I selected the GOP fixed file);
Select Audio Input -> Track in video input;
Choose Output -> Certification level -> Certified High Def Video;
Choose Output -> Encode the DiVx video to 1 file of a 650 MB in size;
Encode Video -> Encode.

Playback is PERFECT in the Dr. Divx Preview window, however, it's totally FUBAR after the encoding process. The only thing I can think of is that my computer is too slow for the encoding and/or playback (PIII 550 MHz.) What gives? Should I use another tool to encode?

TIA for any suggestions... :-0

r0x