PDA

View Full Version : Success guys! Here's my workflow...

jmhenry5150
06-05-2003, 10:07 AM
I now have in my hands a VCD that has a menu for my episode of Sopranos that plays for 10 seconds and that plays perfectly in my Sony DVD player...and looks as close as it can get to TiVo quality too!!!

Here's my work flow for others:

- Retrieve Ty file from TiVo using TyStudio
- Cut out erroneous programming with TyStudio
- Create Mpeg with TyStudio using the following settings: SVCD, 44100 audio
- Perform the header trick (as my Sony DVD player won't play SVCD's but it will play VCD's) - use TMPGEnc - settings - Very important - choose "MPEG-1 Video-CD" as your header
- Burn with Nero. Very important, uncheck the "MAKE COMPLIENT CD" chekbox

There ya go!

TroyCarpenter
06-09-2003, 02:03 PM
A few questions:

1. What is "the header fix"? Is that the step later in TMPGEnc that you refer to?

2. Which version of TMPGEnc are you using? (not that I have even tried this yet, it's just that my version is old but works for me, so I am wondering if I need to upgrade or not).

jmhenry5150
06-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Basically the header trick changes the header on the file so that our SONY DVD player will "THINK" it's a VCD instead of it being an actual SVCD...

It can play an SVCD - it just won't

As with any upgrade, for me, if it works, don't fix it :)

Tryt it and see...

TroyCarpenter
06-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Ok, I'm extracting the video right now (a 30 minute test of Scooby-Doo...one of my kid's recordings) and will make a test disc when I get home.

I am pretty sure my DVD player will not play SVCDs, but it has been a long time since I tried it. I guess I'll really know after I create the disc tonight and try it whether or not it can play SVCDs with the fix.

jmhenry5150
06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Be sure when you burn, that you burn as a VCD and uncheck make Complient disc

Pro-289
06-10-2003, 03:22 AM
A surprise to me that my DVD player does play SVCDs, even though they don't mention it in the specs. They only said it supports VCD. It's an RCA RC6001P by the way. Great player too if anyone's looking for progressive scan,MP3,VCD,SVCD,DVD,DD5.1 for $99-$150.

r0x
07-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey,

I realize that there are various problems with non-standard SVCD's, but it a very compelling archiving format for a variety of reasons. Which is the best player to get if I decide to make non-compatible disks for personal use? Does it have to be the something like the APEX 1200 or are there "brand name" models (in addition to that RCA one) that will work? (I looked on VCDHelp, but DTiVo is not a compatiblity criterion on there yet... Also, I figure I'll go through the time-consuming step of transcoding to standard aspect ratios / bit rates if I have to give a disk to somebody and be reasonably certain that it will work... :-0)

I made a test SVCD with tytool7r4 (I left audio setting at the default 192kbps 44.1 kHz) and I got mixed results with the following players:

PC with PowerDVD v5 demo:
- Totally FUBAR, even on a 2.4 GHz Pentium IV. Wouldn't play back at all.

PC with WinDVD v5 demo:
- Perfect playback, even on a slow 500 MHz Pentium III

SONY DVP-S560D:
- Wouldn't play CD-R. Played CD-RW with skipping / video freezes / audio drop outs. Unwatchable.

GE 1401P:
- Played both CD-R and CD-RW with skipping / video freezes / audio drop outs. Unwatchable.

Thanks,

r0x