PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh praised TiVo on Friday

FredThompson
06-06-2003, 08:56 PM
This link is probably only good for today and might also work on the weekend.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_060603/content/stack_d.guest.html

Here's the text:

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are TiVo!

June 6, 2003

On Friday, I talked at length about the magic of TiVo. That brand name is used generically for many systems that allow you to pause, rewind and record live TV. "Hey, Rush," a sniveling e-mailer asked after my comments on the device, "Was that TIVO comment an ad?" No, you ***** - but it could be! The whole TiVo thing fascinates me. I love technology. In fact, the first loan I took in my life was to buy a Betamax - I stuck with that format until the end.

The program observer asked me specifically how I felt about TiVo selling raw audience data. TiVo does keep track of all your viewing, and then alerts you to shows you might want to watch. It might notice that I watch every episode of The Sopranos, for example, then alert me that the first new episode is coming on in 2008 when I've forgotten all about it. TiVo is out in San Jose, California, and they just recently partnered with DirecTV - which means Rupert Murdoch. They don't sell your name, so I don't think selling the TiVo data is anything to worry about.

Seriously. TiVo is nothing compared to what's being sold out there about you, if you want to know the truth. It would surprise people how much is known about them, especially if you give your Social Security number out. If you do that, then bar the door! Every time you use your credit card, your lifestyle habits are logged - and there are people that follow this around. It's sort of unnerving, especially if you attach a name to it. They only know the household at TiVo, not the individual watching, but someone's name is on the account. Your Brave New World is out there, folks.