PDA

View Full Version : Author of NowShowing.tcl ??

snoopy
06-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Who is the Author or Authors of the acclaimed NowShowing.tcl files? I believe I have found and explained the most current two versions so that they will work for everyone. I have done that in the "TYTool Stuff" that I linked to below. I would like to explain it a little better though. Any information would be most helpfull. Thanks.

captain_video
06-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Well, since the NowShowing.tcl script is part of TyTool, I think it would be logical to assume that jdiner is the author. He may have modified someone else's script to get it to work with TyTool but he's the man you need to talk to.

snoopy
06-09-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
Well, since the NowShowing.tcl script is part of TyTool, I think it would be logical to assume that jdiner is the author. He may have modified someone else's script to get it to work with TyTool but he's the man you need to talk to.

I remember him stating in a post some time back that he did not write it and other people were doing updates of it. hence, it was not included in the releases of TYTool at that time. I was just looking for some clarification from someone that might know. Thanks for your input Capt'n.

captain_video
06-09-2003, 10:00 AM
You're right, josh didn't write it originally. I just assumed that since you were talking about TyTool, he'd be the one since he adapted the script for use with his program.

AlphaWolf
06-09-2003, 10:36 AM
NowShowing.tcl originaly came from tivoapp (http://home.earthlink.net/~garyw90/TivoApp_Old.html).

snoopy
06-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
You're right, josh didn't write it originally. I just assumed that since you were talking about TyTool, he'd be the one since he adapted the script for use with his program.

I didn't realize that he adapted it. I was just trying to find the latest versions and he hasn't posted or explained anything on that front for a while.

jdiner
06-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Umm. Ok. From my own conversations with Gary of tivoApp fame and my own view of history.

Tivoweb came first. Whoever wrote that did one incredible piece of work. My hat is off to the people that started all of this.

Gary came along and wrapped up most of what was at the time truly fragmented information and programs. He did a good job. But the pieces were flawed in various ways (not directly his but the extractstream that was in use and the splitter and...). His program used XML in for the formating. Which works. But personally I hate XML. IMO, It was a bad idea based on simple well known techniques that got expanded to darn near everything for no good reason.

But I digress. So I what I did was take parts of his NowShowing.tcl and parts of tivoweb's newer version at the time, and part of my own code and suggestions from a few other users here and I wrote it.

Then things get funky. We rolled from the 2.5.X to 3.0 food chain. And in so doing things didn't work anymore. Keys within the 3.0 releases had name changes etc... So people started changing things and posting a wide variety of fixes. I was gone at the time for work and unaware even of the new version of the Tivo OS.

I got back and knowing what my version should do wrote a version that would run on either. This version had both tcl MFS versions object names in it and would run on either machine.

But I was short-sighted and I put a check in there for "3.0". A mere 6 to 8 weeks later we seemed to get 3.1 in all it's glory. Suddenly things broke again.

I posted a fixed version of the script again. Changing "3.0" to "3." in that check for the OS as the names did not change between 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2.

Sadly by this time there were so very many "almost" fixes for things that things just get lost in the shuffle.

There you have it. I am the author of my version in that I created it and defined the output. But it would never have been possible without Gary and TivoWeb.

As to why I left it out of recently releases. Nothing in the server has changed in a long long time. I don't release it for this reason alone.

As soon as the current changes get ready to release in it there will be an update.

--jdiner