PDA

View Full Version : Problem With HDVR2 setup

superg
06-08-2003, 09:56 PM
I am new to Tivo and this site so go easy on me.:cool:

I have followed the steps by Ingineer exactly, but when i get to step 14 is where the trouble starts.

It should spit out "root=/dev/hda7" which confirms the TiVo’s active root partition is 7, so that makes the VAR mount point at 9. Lets now mount the var partition by typing:
mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo

I got the root=/dev/hda7, but when i try to do the "mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo " all i get is
"looks like swap space-not mounted. You must specify file type"

I tried two different computers and have read everything i could find, but i can't get past this issue.

Thanks
superg

chazman
06-08-2003, 10:31 PM
I'm betting that you have your PC setup so that your Tivo Drive is not setup as hdc

Check which letter your Tivo drive is assigned during bootup (using SHIFT-PageUp) and change your mount to that drive

So it should read:

mount /dev/hdX9 /mnt/tivo

the X is the letter of the drive assigned to your Tivo drive.

Chaz

superg
06-08-2003, 10:39 PM
That was the first thing i looked at.

This is my setup.

Fat32 drive= hda <-----Primary Master
cd_rom = hdb <-----Primary Slave
Tivo drive = hdc <-----Secondary Master

Got any other ideas? I'm up for trying anything at this point. LOL:cool:

mckitrick
06-09-2003, 02:01 AM
What Boot CD are you using?

Did you restore properly as in step 12?
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/c/tivo-s2.bak /dev/hdc

superg
06-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Using the Johnnydeath boot cd. Did step 12 correctly, but my image is the 3.1.0-01-2-151. I downloaded the 3.1U5 image that mrBlack51 gave a link to. I tried the "mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo " on the 3.1U5 and on my 3.1.0-01-2-151, but get the same results.

mckitrick
06-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Have you tried it with a different hard drive?
I know you tried two different comps so it's not likely to be something wacky like a bad IDE cable, etc.

Yammer
06-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Superg,

Where can I get this step by step that you are using? I just ordered a Philips DSR7000 and I have no idea how to hack this unit, but I want to try. I did a search for Ingineer, but found nothing like what you are talking about. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Yammer

mrblack51
06-12-2003, 01:31 AM
yammer: check the sticky threads, as well as below
|
\ /

superg
06-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Got it figured out. Was trying to use a 60gig western digital hd. For whatever reason it wouldn't work. Didn't see anything about western digital not being compatible.:confused:

Anyway i went and got a 120g maxtor and the setup went fine. Was able to mount the partition no problem. I got bash. Now i just gotta read up on what to do with it. LOL:cool:

Thanks for your suggestions mckitrick and chazman.:)

yellaboyla
06-13-2003, 08:52 AM
In order to get the WD drives to work, you must go to thier site, and download the diag utility. It will create a boot floppy.

From there, you need to change the ATA setting. TIVO does not like ATA133, 100, 66. Set it ATA33.

Leave pc off for 2 minutes after doing this. Then put on image, and u will be good to go.

alldeadhomiez
06-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by superg
Got it figured out. Was trying to use a 60gig western digital hd. For whatever reason it wouldn't work. Didn't see anything about western digital not being compatible.:confused:

Anyway i went and got a 120g maxtor and the setup went fine. Was able to mount the partition no problem. I got bash. Now i just gotta read up on what to do with it. LOL:cool:

Thanks for your suggestions mckitrick and chazman.:)

What happened when you formatted hdc9 after restoring? (mke2fs /dev/hdc9)

The Tivo creates /var on the fly if it is invalid, so mfsrestore might be relying on this behavior in order to avoid initializing it.

FWIW: I have never had trouble with a WD drive in a Tivo (currently using four of them), but regardless, your drive brand should not cause problems trying to mount a filesystem on the PC when you have gotten that far into the process. ATA133 mode isn't going to put a swap signature on random partitions unless you're really unlucky.

yellaboyla
06-13-2003, 10:35 AM
i agree.............

Just saw this issue a few times and adjusting the ATA mode did the trick!

superg
06-14-2003, 10:38 PM
I never tried formatting hdc9. Should i have done that?
The WD hd has become my PC's main drive now, so i guess it is no big deal. I did try a couple times to put the WD in the Tivo and it would just hang at the "Powering Up" screen. Never would get to the "Almost There" stage.

Since i am posting, Do any of you guys have a good How_To for using HyperTerminal? I.E> what commands to use for transfering files and placing scripts in the hackinit file and so on. I am lost at this stage and have been searching endlessly to no avail.