PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Files

levander
06-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Considering purchasing an HDVR2 to play around with. You guys have answered most of my questions on this board, am still a little hazy on how I want to transfer files though.

1.) If I try to transfer files via serial, does the HDVR2 software already come with the rz/sz programs installed on it? Or, do I have to search around looking for them.

2.) Can someone recommend a good terminal emulation program that works under DOS which supports zmodem transfers for use with rz and sz on the tivo? I have an old 286 laptop that would make a great Tivo terminal.

3.) Could also go ethernet. I see on this board where people are starting the telnet and ftp daemons in their hackinit files. Do these daemons come installed on an HDVR2 or do I have to download them?

mckitrick
06-09-2003, 02:57 AM
Hi Levander,

I only recently got my HDVR2 working (Just blew this weekend away putzing with it. I've determined that the resident guru here is Mr.Black but do not contact him until you've READ a lot of stuff here. I know it can be a serious PITA going through the forums but you should find just about everything you need. I myself did not enjoy pouring through tonnes of messages so I'm going to try and help you out a bit here.

The thing that helped me out the most was connecting to the twinbrothers FTP site and grabbing a bunch of files from there.
ftp.twinbrothers.com login:tivo pass:later

1) If you're buying an HDVR2, you will likely need to use the U5 Image to load your drive because the software that normally comes on an HDVR2 is not BASH_ENV hackable. Read this thread for a great step-by-step on getting it going: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90268
** You will need to modify the restore filename in step 12 to read back the U5 image.
This U5 Image has rz and sz - at least the commands worked for me once I got the BASH up.

2) Terminal program for DOS - Telix? That's what I used to use a hundred years ago in the BBSing days. ZModem works well with it, as I recall.

3) Ethernet with Telnet all the way man. You can find the Telnet daemon with little effort.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Mck.

levander
06-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Okay, thanks mckitrick.

That was enough to help me find some stuff.

Looks like you need a serial cable to install the ftp daemon. So, at first I'm just going to buy the serial cable and leave the USB ethernet adapter out for now.

Don't know enough about the tivo partitions to be sure I'll figure out a place to copy files over by putting the tivo hard drive in my PC, mounting a partition, and copying. So just stay serial at first.

Found some other DOS communications programs that are supposed to be free, QModem, and don't know if MS-DOS Kermit supports zmodem or not.

Still couldn't find the telnet daemon in case I decide to use it later.