PDA

View Full Version : MPEG-2 file format reference

brett63
06-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Could any of the resident experts recommend any online/print references for MPEG-2 file format and algorithms? I downloaded the MPEG2Enc/MPEG2Dec samples from mpeg.org, but I need a good primer on the concepts and a solid reference guide.

rung
06-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Here's an FAQ about MPEG-2: http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/research/mpeg/faq/mpeg2-v38/faq_v38.html

brett63
06-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.
It seems that the actual MPEG specs are pretty hard to come by unless one wants to spring for the ISO documents. Hopefully this will act as a decent starting point.

jdiner
06-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by brett63
Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.
It seems that the actual MPEG specs are pretty hard to come by unless one wants to spring for the ISO documents. Hopefully this will act as a decent starting point.

Sadly in my opinion there are NO good books as references.

The reason is that the spec is owned and sold by a private group. A book can't rewrite and sell as it would violate darn near everything. So the MPEG books are about observations and what you should see.

The specs themselves are very poorly written. It was obviously a commitee piece of work. But what is worse is that you once you "understand" what is going you can look at the specs and go "oh! Of course..." and move on. Without that kind of understanding to start with. You get to muddle around in the dark for days, weeks, months and sometimes even years...

Sorry...

--jdiner

brett63
06-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advice Josh. Guess I'll just have to dive in head first and learn how to swim. :D