PDA

View Full Version : TivoWeb, mfs_stream, tyc, OS X

iMike
06-09-2003, 10:29 PM
I have been successful at extracting streams for a few months now using tivoweb with mfs_stream module and tyc to convert to mpeg2 under OS X. Last night I was trying to convert a 1 hour show under Best Quality. The downloaded ty file was about 1.14GBs but after sending it through tyc, I only receive about half of that. Watching the resulting mpeg file shows only a half hour of the show. Has anyone else experienced this? Do any of you have any other advice for methods to try on Mac OS X? Any help appreciated.

iMike
06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
I tried mac_vsplitmux2c1 based on somewhere I read in this forum and it seemed to convert all the video out (the full 1 hour). So I guess I should just do more homework and see what the best/popular conversion software is for OS X. If any of you have recommendations, please share. I want to make this as simple as possible so I can eventually have my wife grab her shows without needing my help. So far the TyConverterX (tyc wrapper?) was the best solution up until now.

lmurray
06-10-2003, 06:21 AM
tyc is old. plain and simple. It will work on average about 50% of the time on SA ty files, and less than that on DTivo files. The vsplit program from jdiner is more robust, and should provide a better solution for splitting the ty files. Check out the tystudio (tydemux) thread. It's an open source project, that I think can be compiled and run under macOSX.
there's a few threads around here for macOSX workflows too.

have fun,
-lloyd-

Martlet
06-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Get the OS X version of TyStudio:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvd-create/tydemux/installer/OSX/Output/tystudio-0.5b3a1.dmg?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
Click on the (download) link.

You'll need to install Apple X11, and dlcompat for the GUI GOP Editor... it's in the readme.

Use MFS_FTP for extracting (see the giant sticky), or use tyserver (you'll need the TyStudio tivo install for tyserver/tyindex).

The command line for MFS_FTP on a mac that works fine is:

> ftp -Aa <tivo ip> <mfs_ftp port>

tyc is really old. mac_vsplit is a few revs behind tytools, and tydemux 0.4.2 is the old version that is not part of TyStudio.

iMike
06-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last night I grabbed the tystudio tools for OS X and was able to demux the show into video and audio streams. I wasn't however, able to mux them back together. Anyway, tonight I'll try to get the tystudio tools running on the Tivo itself for extraction and install X11, etc and see if I can get the whole package working.

Martlet
06-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by iMike

Last night I grabbed the tystudio tools for OS X and was able to demux the show into video and audio streams. I wasn't however, able to mux them back together.

You need to run typrocess with the mplex options... which aren't documented in the -h info... heh.

Get tyeditor running in X11, and choose MPEG instead of elemental streams and it'll give you the right options.

iMike
06-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Ok so before installing X11 and getting TyEditor running, I decided to try to mux with mplex first. First I tried running typrocess as such:
./typrocess -i <input.ty> -o <output.mpg> -mplex { -f 3 } -demux

This seems to get going for awhile and then it says something about no response for 30 seconds and that the program probably crashed.

So I went looking for mplex by itself and grabbed MissingMpegTools which had mplex. This seemed to mux the video and audio that i had previously demuxed with demux. However halfway through, the audio gets horribly out of sync...like 5-10 seconds. Is this common?

Do I just need to bear down and get TyEditor working and all my problems will be solved? Or is there a fundamental issue with the ty stream itself? It seems to playback fine on the Tivo.

BBQ-AllStar
06-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Martlet
Get the OS X version of TyStudio:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvd-create/tydemux/installer/OSX/Output/tystudio-0.5b3a1.dmg?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

You'll need to install Apple X11, and dlcompat for the GUI GOP Editor... it's in the readme.

I'm having problems downloading this file...it just loads the file data into my browser....I click on the "download" link and just get jibberish on the screen...

:confused:

Martlet
06-11-2003, 12:51 AM
That's why I said...

Actually, control-click, and download link target, or whatever your browser's save to disk is.

What you do is, first you go here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvd-create/tydemux/installer/OSX/Output/#dirlist

But instead of clicking on the name of the file, like you would think, you click on the 1.1.

You can't save the "1.1" link to disk, because even though it is loading the whole tystudio-*.dmg into your browser window, it also has that sourceforge header at the top of the page that would get included, so it won't work. So you simply click on the 1.1, and quickly do a command-. or escape to stop it from trying to load the whole disk image.

Then you see the (download) link in the header, and you save that to disk, because it's just the disk image, without the sourceforge header.

Fun, right? :)

Anyway, I could have written all this, but I figured it was too confusing, so, if you had simply done exactly what I said to do, instead of thinking, you would have been fine. :P

BBQ-AllStar
06-11-2003, 01:10 AM
I try not to think, but it's difficult....;) :D

thanks...worked....

I tried saving the name of the file to disk, but it only downloaded some text...

thanks for the clarification....

BBQ

iMike
06-11-2003, 02:55 AM
Ok, I installed X11 (very simple) and then I ran TyEditor and IT ROCKS!! Not only did it handle my Ty Stream that I couldn't get working with any of the other tools, the GUI frame editor makes it so easy to cut out commercials! I love it!

aersloat
06-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Bookmark this page:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58876&release_id=163045

you can download the various builds for tystudio from there.

I would avoid installing the tivo side of TyStudio just yet. TivoWeb with mfs_stream or mfs_ftp work well for getting the ty files.

Install X11 and dlcompat (see the readme in the .dmg). Run tyeditor and open, process, and save your files from the gui. It's easier and it seems to work well. Keep an eye out for the 0.5.0 build which one would hope is soon on its way...