PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Tivo From Work/School

enliteneer
06-10-2003, 12:16 AM
At home, I have my Tivo connected to the internet via a router.
Can I run TyTool from school to get to my Tivo programs?

I entered the IP address that my router assigned to my
Tivo, but that didnt work!

Thanks!

Will
06-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by enliteneer
At home, I have my Tivo connected to the internet via a router.
Can I run TyTool from school to get to my Tivo programs?

I entered the IP address that my router assigned to my
Tivo, but that didnt work!

The IP that your router assigned really doesn't exist to the outside; traffic is funnelled through your ISP-assigned IP.

Many routers allow you to "dmz" an individual internal IP, which means that that particular machine is reachable from the outside as if it had the IP assigned by your ISP.

Obviously that makes your Tivo very vulnerable, but it gets done what you ask.

There are ways other than the simple dmz technique, but people's eyes glaze over when I try to explain.

enliteneer
06-10-2003, 10:11 AM
If you expose the Tivo via DMZ,
is it possible to limit which outside IPs will have access?

Thanks!

Andy in NYC
06-10-2003, 10:52 AM
I assume you are accessing through TivoWeb. Tivoweb does allow for a username/password for access to the box. You do risk someone trashing your machine if they get in.

TivoCommunity (the other site) had a slew of posts about how to do this (I was one of the question askers at the time). I no longer access over the internet (too much trouble aside from 'gee, neat').

try a search over there.

Andy

enliteneer
06-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Im using TyTool, since at the time
TivoWeb (1.9.4) didnt have any video
extraction capabilities.

Ill download the latest TivoWeb and
see if I can do this!

Thanks!

osetivo
06-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Yes it can be done.

The first step is establishing a connection to the remote tivo, but let just skip that to what's really important.

I have a VPN connection between my office and house and tried to remotely download a ty file, ONCE!! Talk about painful. I estimated a 6 hours D/L for a 30 minute program, but that's with a DSL 256kilobit per second up.

So, it can be done, it just depends either your patience or your TiVo's internet connection "UP" speed. If you have sufficient speed then that opens a number of possibilities, some complex some simple.

enliteneer
06-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Im not exactly sure what broadband connection is
used at school, but using your numbers as an estimate...
(and ignoring the transfer time between the tivo to the router via
ethernet)

DSL: 256Kbps --- 6 hours
Cable: 2500 Kbps --- 36 minutes
T1: 1544 Kbps --- 1 hour
T2: 6312 Kbps --- 14 minutes
T3: 44073Kbps --- 2 minutes

Did you do anything special on the Tivo or on TyTool to access
from your office?

Thanks!

Andy in NYC
06-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Just remember that your transfer speed is based on the slowest point in the connection, not the fastest.

Does anyone have a T1 line *at home*?

Andy

osetivo
06-10-2003, 11:19 PM
I have Linksys BEFSX41 VPN routers at both ends that establishes the connection between the 2 lans.

Well put Andy, my "typical" DSL is 1500 kilobits DOWN, but 256kilobits UP at both ends, so my Tivo uploads at a SLOOOOOOWWW 256, even with faster cable I don't think it's significantly faster UP (about 300 kbps UP)

FastGM3
06-11-2003, 12:17 AM
get to a command prompt at school and "telnet -K xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (x's are your home address) (you may need to forward incoming port 22 traffic on your router to your tivos private address.

If you have anything else excepting remote access on, turn it off. Now if you get a bash from school, I would think you could extract from their.

Unfortunately most school districts block port 22 out and in. Using a firewall and proxy they probably lock you down to just http. and ftp. So you may be better off using use a FTP stream module addon for TivoWeb to get in, then extract files that way to school.

Good Luck

JJBliss
06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by FastGM3
get to a command prompt at school and "telnet -K xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (x's are your home address) (you may need to forward incoming port 22 traffic on your router to your tivos private address.

If you have anything else excepting remote access on, turn it off. Now if you get a bash from school, I would think you could extract from their.

Unfortunately most school districts block port 22 out and in. Using a firewall and proxy they probably lock you down to just http. and ftp. So you may be better off using use a FTP stream module addon for TivoWeb to get in, then extract files that way to school.

Good Luck

I think you mean port 23.

Aside from that, depending on the method of extracting, you will need significantly more ports open than just 23. Also you'll be battling inbound ttraffic to school, as well as their firewall setup.

It is a quite difficult undertaking, expecially for a newbie, but not impossible.

edit: Changed port number to the right one...

tlphipps
06-11-2003, 08:38 PM
fyi:

port 21: ftp protocol
port 22: ssh protocol
port 23: telnet protocol

of course these are just the defaults.......you can make them whatever you want....