PDA

View Full Version : TyTool workflow - HOWTO REQ

LuckMan212
06-10-2003, 09:30 AM
what I'm hoping is that someone will post up how they are currently doing things, as the current threads are >20+ pages long and quite difficult to navigate at this point.

I've done many a search and still come up empty as far as clean concise WORKING guides.

here's what I'm doing now, and it works:
-----------------------------------------------------
1) download .Ty with 7r3 (Tystream mode)
2) make .key file
3) do edits with GOPeditor
4) VOB-mux the output
5) create IFO
(all the above using just Josh's stuff from the 7r3 archive...)
6) burn with Nero, using XBOX compatibilty mode DVD-ROM/UDF

well this sort of works, see THIS POST (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25069) for info about my MP2 audio probs, but that is probably just my players fault...)

what I am wondering is, how can I jazz up the menus a bit with some 3rd party tools, and still keep the workflow clean with a minimal # of steps, and no transcoding/re-encoding if possible.

I have TMPGenc, VirtualDub, DVD Architect, and DVDLab (shareware) as well as all the other free stuff like IFOedit, BeSweet, etc...

any help is mucho appreciated....:D :D

jmhenry5150
06-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Stupid question :)

Would this workflow also work to create a VCD?

2ride
06-10-2003, 02:00 PM
I have been using the old tried and true method using ulead products that Pr Sinister and Bato perfected way back when.

Now that a new version of tytools is out with all the new features are you guys still using ulead to make menus etc?

If so, can you help us understand how.

TIA

2ride

captain_video
06-10-2003, 02:30 PM
There's no change if you're using DVD Movie Factory or DVD Workshop except that there's a Ulead Fix option in TyTool to help eliminate one of the problems that occurs when importing a TyTool mpeg file into either program. You still make key files, edit with GopEditor, edit keyfiles, and mux with TyTool to create your mpegs. Don't forget to patch to 352X480 @3.5MBit and then patch the VOBs back to 480X480 @ 15MBit when you're done creating the VIDEO_TS folder and all its contents. Menu and chapter creation is unchanged. If you're unsure about creating menus, I wrote a tutorial on doing so for DVDWS in this thread:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=100757&highlight=DVD+workshop#post100757

I also posted a thread with some fixes and workarounds for errors that can occur with DVDWS. They may also work with DVD MovieFactory but I haven't tried that program yet.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=100167&highlight=DVD+workshop#post100167

Here's the original thread with Pr.Sinister's instructions on using DVD MovieFactory and DVDWS with a downloadable video tutorial that you can watch on your PC.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728&highlight=DVD+workshop

LuckMan212
06-10-2003, 03:16 PM
OK, can someone elaborate on the settings for quality / resolution / bitrate that one needs to use in order to get proper files ready for burning to DVD? (i have a stand-alone Sony SVR2000)

its my understanding that:
------------------------------------------------------
1) NTSC dvd format is 704x480
2) tivo does not record this res, even if you specify "best" quality--the settings must be edited thru TivoWeb
3) contrary to intuition, you must set resolution to "0" in order to get the 704x480 ( is this right??)
4) you need at least 5960000 bitrate in order to properly record at this res using quality=100

this is all very shoddy/spotty info, and probably wrong- can someone please fill in blanks, correct me?
:eek:

lmurray
06-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by jmhenry5150
Stupid question :)

Would this workflow also work to create a VCD?

sorta. I've been working on a website for svcds, but I'm not finished. In general you need to:

here's what I'm doing now, and it works:
-----------------------------------------------------
1) download .Ty with 7r3 (Tystream mode)
2) make .key file
3) do edits with GOPeditor
4) vcd/svcd-mux the output
(all the above using just Josh's stuff from the 7r3 archive...)
5) burn with Nero, using SVCD - click not compatable box.

That's what I do. Again, this is svcd, not vcd. A true vcd would require a transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG1, and a resolution change.

hope this helps a bit,
-lloyd-

jmhenry5150
06-10-2003, 06:26 PM
2 things:

- I couldn't get the GOPeditor to let me create any cuts...it just kept beeping at me when I pushed any button

- how do you vcd/svcd-mux the output? I selected VOB-MUX the files, but I don't think that was correct...

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

2ride
06-10-2003, 07:51 PM
video

I have been MIA from this forum for a few months and it seemed everything changed.

I was pretty happy with the workflow pr and bato ( and yourself ) came up with back in feb I think.

Looks like it just got a little easier.

no more remuxing after cut/mux in tytool right?

Thanks again.

this place rocks!!!

bato
06-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by 2ride
I have been using the old tried and true method using ulead products that Pr Sinister and Bato perfected way back when.

Now that a new version of tytools is out with all the new features are you guys still using ulead to make menus etc?

If so, can you help us understand how.

TIA

2ride
I spent most of my time with DVDlab, I feel it faster/easier to use than DVDWS. The problem is that still needs a couple of months (I wish less) in development time to work great with Dtivo files.

I never make chapters work right with DVDWS and I have more control with DVDlab for the final product.

As I said before, it still needs to mature a little. Right now I can make it work changing the files prior to importing them, working around some bugs in DVDlab, is fun to discover that I can make it work but it takes too much time. I'll email Oscar and wish he can fix this things so I hope that soon we will have a step by step like this:
- use tytool to create a vob
- create DVD with DVDlab
- burn

Right now the fastest way to create a DVD is with TyTool7, and jdiner is working hard to fix all bugs.

rung
06-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by LuckMan212
OK, can someone elaborate on the settings for quality / resolution / bitrate that one needs to use in order to get proper files ready for burning to DVD? (i have a stand-alone Sony SVR2000)

its my understanding that:
------------------------------------------------------
1) NTSC dvd format is 704x480
2) tivo does not record this res, even if you specify "best" quality--the settings must be edited thru TivoWeb
3) contrary to intuition, you must set resolution to "0" in order to get the 704x480 ( is this right??)
4) you need at least 5960000 bitrate in order to properly record at this res using quality=100

this is all very shoddy/spotty info, and probably wrong- can someone please fill in blanks, correct me?
:eek:

1) 720x480
2) True. Best is at 544x480
3) Yes - haven't tried it in a while - will soon when my DVD burner arrives!
4) 5960000 = 5.8MB/s bit rate. I don't think this is a magic number - YMMV. You can go up or down - I don't think there is a minmum that a DVD player will accept (I could be wrong). Too high and Tivo will stutter. I don't think the quality setting does anything (again I could be wrong). I think it uses this number to estimate disk space.

lmurray
06-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by jmhenry5150
2 things:

- I couldn't get the GOPeditor to let me create any cuts...it just kept beeping at me when I pushed any button

- how do you vcd/svcd-mux the output? I selected VOB-MUX the files, but I don't think that was correct...

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Not sure what to tell you about GopEditor. Are you using it from w/in tytools?

The svcd/vcd mux is under the Options Menu:VCD/SVCD Mux Output.
Then, use goto the File Menu:Multiplex Files.

I hope to have a HOW_TO for SVCD soon.

-lloyd-

eastwind
06-16-2003, 06:13 AM
I hope to have a HOW_TO for SVCD soon.

-lloyd-

Here's a HOW-TO for TiVo to SVCD:

http://salfter.dyndns.org/tivo2svcd.shtml

EW

Hi8
06-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by bato
I spent most of my time with DVDlab, I feel it faster/easier to use than DVDWS. The problem is that still needs a couple of months (I wish less) in development time to work great with Dtivo files.

I never make chapters work right with DVDWS and I have more control with DVDlab for the final product.

As I said before, it still needs to mature a little. Right now I can make it work changing the files prior to importing them, working around some bugs in DVDlab, is fun to discover that I can make it work but it takes too much time. I'll email Oscar and wish he can fix this things so I hope that soon we will have a step by step like this:
- use tytool to create a vob
- create DVD with DVDlab
- burn

Right now the fastest way to create a DVD is with TyTool7, and jdiner is working hard to fix all bugs.

bato;

I too love the interface of DVDLab -- I've had to resort back to Spruce-Up 1.1 however, as I was only successful once in getting the audio in my final TitleSet.

I followed the same instructions that you were kind enough to share, however I for the life of me can get the audio to play after authoring with DVDLab. I editted using IFOEdit95/96b1 checked and double checked my changes. everything stuck after a save and I tried more that 3 or 4 times from scratch thinking I must have missed something... Have you every had your proceedure NOT work?

Hi8