PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Speeds and conversion

snoopy
06-12-2003, 01:11 AM
OK
Once and for all, this stuff is damn confusing to me!

How the heck fast is a standard 10/100 network supposed to move anyway?

I decided to measure traffic accross my network using DU Meter 3.0. Then I measured traffic from the Tivo's Turbonet card which is understandably slower. The results are pasted below.

I am trying to figure out what good numbers in each categorie are supposed to be and how they translate between bit/bytes, kilo/mega, etc etc (there ought to be a good conversion utility for all that??). Following my findings below, I would like more information about what 10/100 is theoretically capable of, what Turbonet is theoretically capable of, and what people are actually getting on each.

Any info or feedback is most appreciated.

SPEED TEST RESULTS:

Data transfer rate from PC to laptop 1GB TY File 6-11-2003
60 to 67 mbps (diplay units kilobits per second)
6.0 to 6.7 mB/sec (display units kilobytes per second)

Data transfer rate from Tivo to laptop 1GB TY file 6-11-2003 (more consistant readings than above)
These were obtained with TYTool 7r3 and Jafa's updated Turbonet drivers.
15 to 18 mbps (display units kilobits per second)
1.90 to 2.1 mB/sec (display units kilobytes per second)

ronnythunder
06-12-2003, 01:53 AM
your numbers are about right compared to what a lot of us are getting. are these figures using tytool to extract? i get about 1.4 mbytes/sec with tytool, but fare a little better with mfs_ftp.

on my sa, it maxes out at about 900 kbytes/sec. i really wish we could get more speed out of it, but it's not happening yet. jafa has released at least one update to the driver that helped a lot of the people (including me), but i'd say, with those numbers, you've got the new drivers.

ronny