PDA

View Full Version : custom mfs creation - fsmake needed?

khmann
07-27-2001, 12:54 PM
Hey guys. I want to rebuild my MFS system from scratch. Ignoring the obvious issue of savings and reloading the mfs objects for now, how do I format a blank MFS partition?

d18c7db talks about doing this http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/d18c7db/TiVo-Restore.htm using a utility called 'fsmake'. This utility does not seem to be present on my 1.3 Phillips unit. Can anyone help me out with this?

Alternatively, do you think I could just bless a blank partition and run 'mfsadd' on it? Not sure how well this would work...

many thanks!
-khmann

stryder
07-27-2001, 03:48 PM
I got the fsmake file from a virgin install of a tivo. You just need to dd the image on to a drive, then mount it in a pc and copy it off of there. If you install it into a tivo and start it up it cleans up after itself and erases all the extra utilities. I was going to do this very thing myself, however I can't get extractstream to work so that I can get the loopset mpegs. I have everything else needed I believe.

khmann
07-31-2001, 04:22 PM
I just (last night) retrieved the 1.3 install files out of MFS and extracted them into a temporary directory and looked for fsmake. not there. nor was it on my /dev/hda4 or 7.

Tonight I'll try and decrypt the 2.0.1 install files, so I can extract and check for fsmake.

I don't expect to find it though.

number6
08-01-2001, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by khmann
I just (last night) retrieved the 1.3 install files out of MFS and extracted them into a temporary directory and looked for fsmake. not there. nor was it on my /dev/hda4 or 7.

Tonight I'll try and decrypt the 2.0.1 install files, so I can extract and check for fsmake.

I don't expect to find it though.

I've not seen a fsmake for 2.0.1 - you have to use the 1.3 one.

But in order to use that on a 2.0.1+ system you need to copy these library files (libmfs.so, libtmk.so & libtvutil.so) that are in the /lib directory on the 1.3 tivo to /lib on the 2.0.1 Tivo, [or set/export the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to a directory where these 1.3 .so files are that you copied from your 1.3 Tivo].

If you don't do this fsmake won't be able to run/load - you will get a message about the module/library file libXXX.a.so is missing.
You can use that to work out the files you need.

BTW: seriously consider setting/using LD_LIBRARY_PATH - it saves having to fiddle with putting files in /lib on your 2.0.1 system -
from bash go export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/hack/mylib where /var/hack/mylib is where the .so files are located - then fsmake should run

And as its scriptable like this it compatible with d18...s method(s).

khmann
08-10-2001, 11:29 AM
I have heard that there is a 2.0x fsmake outthere. I have not seen it. I am wondering:

If a person had a blank 512mb /dev/hda10 (MFS APP) with _no_ associated media partitions, would it be possible to marry a blessed /dev/hda11, /dev/hdb3, whatever MFS MEDIA partition and get the TiVo going? I'm looking for a way to help folks rebuild their TiVos without distributing fsmake.

Would it be wrong (or frowned upon) to distribute a gzip'd blank 512mb MFS APP partition? would it work? I can make one tonight...